Author Topic: Spock's Beard  (Read 146820 times)

Offline The Curious Orange

• Lord of the Night
Re: Spock's Beard
« Reply #945 on: August 19, 2015, 01:28:39 AM »
Got an e-mail last night telling me my copy of The Oblivion Particle has been dispatched - hopefully I should have my mits on the CD shortly! Can't wait! :metal
"And if love remains, though everything is lost,
We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost..."

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #946 on: August 19, 2015, 12:50:56 PM »
My biggest issue with the lyrics is, it's like a book that only has the introduction. So, Bennett builds a time machine ... and that's it.
Is there a second part to this song?
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #947 on: August 19, 2015, 01:48:09 PM »
My biggest issue with the lyrics is, it's like a book that only has the introduction. So, Bennett builds a time machine ... and that's it.
Is there a second part to this song?

Well, yeah, it's on the next album.

"Bennett went back in time to kill Hitler"
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #948 on: August 19, 2015, 02:05:10 PM »
Bennett left off some steam.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline The Curious Orange

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #949 on: August 20, 2015, 03:29:41 AM »
It was on the doormat waiting for me when I got home!

Blimey, that's a bit of a challenging listen, isn't it? Not what I was expecting at all! This one's going to take a few repeated spins before I can work out what I make of it...
"And if love remains, though everything is lost,
We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost..."

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #950 on: August 20, 2015, 08:03:14 AM »
Hopefully mine will arrive today. I ordered it from the SB store.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #951 on: August 20, 2015, 08:51:46 AM »

Blimey, that's a bit of a challenging listen, isn't it? Not what I was expecting at all! This one's going to take a few repeated spins before I can work out what I make of it...
I agree. I'm on the 7th song, an EXTREMELY challenging listen so far.

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #952 on: August 20, 2015, 08:56:54 AM »
Hopefully mine will arrive today. I ordered it from the SB store.

Me too. No shipping confirmation or anything.

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #953 on: August 20, 2015, 10:57:08 AM »
When you say Challenging listen, what do you mean?

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #954 on: August 20, 2015, 01:22:51 PM »
When you say Challenging listen, what do you mean?

I agree. I'm on the 7th song, an EXTREMELY challenging listen so far.

Gotta agree. Got through one semi-rushed listen this morning, and it's a LOT to take in. Some VERY different stuff here, for the Beard, and for prog in general. Lots of GOOD stuff, mind you, but it's not quite as simple as some other classic SB albums and tunes. It's got a lot of experimentation across the board, from all band members, and I think this one is a statement that the band aren't still done showing what they've got up their musical sleeves.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #955 on: August 21, 2015, 03:49:22 AM »
I went and bought my copy of The Oblivion Particle this morning. Very happy to have it in my hands. Listened to a few songs on the way home, and I really like Hell's Not Enough on first listen.

Update: The Center Line. Didn't think a lot of the intro, but when the song kicked in...wowee!  :tup

Quite often, when a tracklisting is announced, I'll look at it and think about which songs I might like most. Very often, it's the ones I don't think of which are the songs that end up impressing me most. Previous examples of this include Dream Theater's Outcry and Steven Wilson's Drive Home.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2015, 05:47:54 AM by RoeDent »

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #956 on: August 21, 2015, 05:48:02 AM »
This album makes a much better first impression than their last. At least on me.

Offline LightCurves

« Reply #957 on: August 21, 2015, 07:17:17 AM »
Midway into the second spin. A great listen, entertaining and lots to digest.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #958 on: August 21, 2015, 08:28:01 AM »
Just purchased.

Listening later.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #959 on: August 21, 2015, 08:46:21 AM »
Looking forward to getting this.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline As I Am

• Banned
« Reply #960 on: August 21, 2015, 10:33:48 AM »
After a couple of "spins" TOP hasn't floored me like BNDS did but I am liking what I hear for the most part. There are a couple of clunkers though, but overall another very solid SB release!

Online Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #961 on: August 21, 2015, 12:45:55 PM »
Upon my first listen I find this album a little bit bland. If I had to point out something I think it would be the instrumental sections which seem sometimes uninspired and sometimes they don't go well with the flow of the songs.

I'll give it a couple more spins and see if it starts growing on me.
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #962 on: August 21, 2015, 01:43:50 PM »
I will say, though, I thoroughly enjoy the opener "Tides Of Time". That instrumental through the ending is just amazing, especially Jimmy's drumming!

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #963 on: August 21, 2015, 02:00:43 PM »
Decent first listen (in the background while working).  More dedicated listens required before I can fully decide.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #964 on: August 21, 2015, 04:36:54 PM »
Burning the disk to I-Tunes. Will spin it tomorrow driving to meet up with Coz and his family near Boston for lunch! :metal
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline Mladen

« Reply #965 on: August 22, 2015, 06:12:09 AM »
Wow, this is one tough album. I'm enjoying it with every spin, it's just that some of the stuff on it is strikingly different, especially tracks like The Central line. Of course, it's a good thing that the band went through a bit of a change, we'll just have to see if these songs will grow into really great songs. They're all very colorful and each has some great bits, but the ones I like the most so far are probably Hell's not enough and Get out while you can.

For those that have the physical copy of the CD, can anyone post the writing credits? I'm very interested to see who came up with which song. I wouldn't be surprised if Ted Leonard was the main songwriter now. He sounds fantastic on the album, by the way, his voice really adds a lot of character to the songs.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #966 on: August 22, 2015, 03:00:16 PM »
Finished my first listen of the album.

I see why people are saying it's challenging.  There is a lot going on.

But TBH, I loved it.  I know it was just the first listen, and it will bear many more listens to fully realize a real opinion on it, but my first impression was through the roof.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline RoeDent

« Reply #967 on: August 22, 2015, 03:05:49 PM »
At the moment, the only song I'm still a bit baffled by is Tides of Time. BBATM is getting better with each listen. My highlights are definitely Hell's Not Enough (Ted's the star here, and a great (accompanied) drum solo from Keegan) and The Center Line (what a chorus!)

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #968 on: August 22, 2015, 04:16:16 PM »
So far I'm liking it, more than the previous album.
I know this is a moot point,  but man I wish they didn't have Alan on guitar.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #969 on: August 23, 2015, 07:40:06 AM »
So far I'm liking it, more than the previous album.

Why?

For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #970 on: August 23, 2015, 08:57:17 AM »

I used to think that, too, but I've softened towards him over the years.  Granted, I still think he is their LVP, but he does have some pretty great moments.  Flow wouldn't be nearly as awesome without that terrific ending, and he has many other great moments.  His lead tone has almost always been fine, but his rhythm tone really stunk around the V/Snow era (that intro to Freak Boy hurts my ears, the guitar tone is so bad), which hasn't been a problem lately, so I think he has cleaned that up.  Flawed or not, his quirky style is part of the band's signature sound, and I accept that.

I still need to get the new album.  This week, hopefully...

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #971 on: August 23, 2015, 10:27:23 AM »
The worst part about this album is that it was released the same day as the Ghost album, and that album is just crying for more spins and it's the one I want to listen to given a choice at the moment.  First listen didn't really grab me too much, and most of it was done in the car.  We'll see...I don't think it will be a total clunker because they've never given us one, but I don't think it will be on their Mt. Rushmore either (V, X, BNaDs, and TKoS personally - DFN makes a strong case as well).

I know it was said earlier, but it bears repeating...I love the music to BBaTM, but damn that single spaced on legal pads is almost Hitler level awful.  I might just scoop that verse out of the song in a wave editor and make my own radio edit.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #972 on: August 23, 2015, 12:01:52 PM »
SB has some good songs and arrangements. I only have the album SNOW.  I feel their weakest point is the vocals, they're just mediocre at best.  They just don't have a standout singer even though they are on key technically. I just find the vocals boring.
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline ich bin besser

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #973 on: August 23, 2015, 01:36:06 PM »
For those that have the physical copy of the CD, can anyone post the writing credits? I'm very interested to see who came up with which song. I wouldn't be surprised if Ted Leonard was the main songwriter now. He sounds fantastic on the album, by the way, his voice really adds a lot of character to the songs.

Tides of Time: Stan Ausmus
Minion: Ted Leonard
Hell's...: Ted Leonard
Bennett...: John Boegehold
Get Out...: John Boegehold
A Better Way...: John Boegehold
The Center Line: Alan Morse + Ryo Okumoto
To Be Free Again: John Boegehold
Disappear: John Boegehold
Keep prog alive - see it live!

Meine Musikliste

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #974 on: August 23, 2015, 02:15:51 PM »

Tides of Time: Stan Ausmus
Minion: Ted Leonard
Hell's...: Ted Leonard
Bennett...: John Boegehold
Get Out...: John Boegehold
A Better Way...: John Boegehold
The Center Line: Alan Morse + Ryo Okumoto
To Be Free Again: John Boegehold
Disappear: John Boegehold

Interesting! A lot of credits from Boegehold (5 total!), and only one more Alan this time around.

I can definitely feel the influence of Alan and Ryo in "The Center Line", which has become a favorite of mine so far on the album. I'm glad Ryo is credited with song writing this time as he wasn't for the BNADS at all.

Odd to see only 2 writing credits from Ted, which is as many as the last album (well, he had a co-credit with Alan and Neal for "Afterthoughts" though I think that was for the lyrics, not the music). I was expecting at least a couple more from Ted this go around.

Sad to see there's no credits from Dave Meros this time around. He co-wrote "I Know Your Secret" on the last one, as well as four songs on each X and SB9.

-Marc.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #975 on: August 23, 2015, 02:37:35 PM »
SB has some good songs and arrangements. I only have the album SNOW.  I feel their weakest point is the vocals, they're just mediocre at best.  They just don't have a standout singer even though they are on key technically. I just find the vocals boring.

That was two singers ago.  Their current singer is probably the best one they've had in terms of natural and practiced ability.

M-
Boegehold has been the main songwriter since Neal left.  I don't see that changing.  Ted has Enchant full time and a bunch of other side projects, and he wrote Submurged back in 2006 or 2007 for his solo album, so it's not like he wrote that for SB - which is why I don't see him becoming the main songwriter for SB.  Him becoming the head songwriter would really change the band dynamics.  Maybe I'll ask him about it.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #976 on: August 23, 2015, 03:26:15 PM »
I still find that bizarre that their main songwriter for now half of their career (six of 12 albums) is from someone who isn't a band member.

I did listen to Bennett Built a Time Machine on YouTube (there is a lyric video for it), and having never heard Jimmy Keegan sing before, I was stunned at how much he sounds like NDV, especially in the chorus.  Good song.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #977 on: August 23, 2015, 03:29:36 PM »
I still find that bizarre that their main songwriter for now half of their career (six of 12 albums) is from someone who isn't a band member.

I did listen to Bennett Built a Time Machine on YouTube (there is a lyric video for it), and having never heard Jimmy Keegan sing before, I was stunned at how much he sounds like NDV, especially in the chorus.  Good song.

Well if Ted ever leaves the band, I'm sure Jimmy would make a suitable replacement for him, but they'd need to get another drummer for the tours.

...wait, this seems familiar...

-Marc.

Offline RoeDent

« Reply #978 on: August 23, 2015, 03:35:46 PM »

1. See also Peter Sinfield for King Crimson (who was actually credited as a band member on ITCOTCK) and John Helmer for Marillion.

2. Some time last year, they posted a video of a jam session they did for a fan VIP thing; it morphed into a cover of That's All, and Keegan chimed in with vocals. I believe he also did a vocal part in the acapella section of Afterthoughts.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #979 on: August 23, 2015, 03:54:03 PM »

I saw Jimmy sing "Carie" live at RoSfest and he has a great voice.

This is a deep album like most have said.  I like it.  I need to soak it in a little more though.