Author Topic: Spock's Beard  (Read 146854 times)

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Re: Spock's Beard
« Reply #875 on: April 28, 2015, 06:27:14 AM »
Fuck you EU for getting this tour, just fuck you.

How about Fuck you, North America for all the tours you get that we don't???

Actually, America lacks in seeing so many good prog tours because for the bands, it's not worth the money to travel overseas.  It's not a money maker for them.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #876 on: April 28, 2015, 07:07:03 AM »

Actually, America lacks in seeing so many good prog tours because for the bands, it's not worth the money to travel overseas.  It's not a money maker for them.

Truth, so what's SB's excuse?
 :rollin

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #877 on: April 28, 2015, 07:11:25 AM »
The same.  Prog isn't a money maker in the USA.  Better following in EU.  BTW, you picked out one example in how many bands?
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #878 on: April 28, 2015, 07:29:16 AM »
The same.  Prog isn't a money maker in the USA.  Better following in EU.  BTW, you picked out one example in how many bands?

Well the one I want to see the most that I can't see is SB!  They live stateside and while they may not exactly rake in the money I think they could have a lucrative tour if they kept the production down.  Just come to Texas FFS. They havent' been since 2006 and I somehow managed to miss they were coming through.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #879 on: April 28, 2015, 07:52:48 AM »
I saw SB in the last 1990's but I've never seen Haken and Enchant which I will be this weekend at RosFest so I'm stoked!!

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #880 on: April 28, 2015, 08:28:23 AM »
I saw SB in the last 1990's but I've never seen Haken and Enchant which I will be this weekend at RosFest so I'm stoked!!

Yes I'd like to see both of them, but SB is still above them in the list of "stuff to see".

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #881 on: April 28, 2015, 02:44:20 PM »
WTF? There are a ton more prog bands that tour Europe and not America than the other way around. And a few AMERICAN prog bands that have toured Europe several times without touching America, most notable Spock's Beard and Fates Warning.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #882 on: April 28, 2015, 03:15:57 PM »
WTF? There are a ton more prog bands that tour Europe and not America than the other way around. And a few AMERICAN prog bands that have toured Europe several times without touching America, most notable Spock's Beard and Fates Warning.

Yeah, but IDGAF about most of those prog bands. I care about seeing SB.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #883 on: April 28, 2015, 03:53:11 PM »
Okay, but they have all but said that they don't tour much here in the States anymore because they lose money here.  Same for the Flower Kings.  They can scaled down their stage shows all they want (and neither does much with it), but they just don't draw enough here to make it worth while.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #884 on: April 28, 2015, 04:00:50 PM »
I always thought acts like Spock's Bear should use the internet more to their advantage. There are live streaming services that will distribute your live concert (which can be from your own rehearsal space). The service get a cut of course, but it's a great way of reaching people you otherwise can't play to.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline The Curious Orange

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #885 on: April 29, 2015, 03:30:55 AM »
I get it - really I do - It's so frustrating when a favourite band plays somewhere you can't get to, and I fully accept that SB spend much more time in Europe than in the US.

But try being a fan of Pearl Jam, Bruce Springsteen, Rush, or any of a thousand North American bands who tour extensively and then view Europe as an afterthought. Or try being a fan of Country Music and Americana - some of my favourite bands and artists don't even know where Europe is, and the few that have made it over here tend to be playing support for other acts.

So yeah, there are loads of bands that tour Europe and never make it to the US, but there are loads of bands that tour the US and never make it to Europe - it's swings and roundabouts.

But you could try being a fan in Australia or New Zealand - bands almost NEVER make it down there.

Anyway, what I came in to say - the SB Islington Academy date has been rescheduled for 2 October.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2015, 03:56:41 AM by The Curious Orange »
"And if love remains, though everything is lost,
We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost..."

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #886 on: April 29, 2015, 05:59:51 AM »
Totally get that too TCO.  I was referring to prog bands in general.  You would thing in this day and age bands would tour everywhere for the money since it has become the main source of income but it just may be too expensive to travel the world.

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #887 on: May 02, 2015, 04:19:25 AM »
Actually these days we are almost spoilt for choice with bands touring Down Under.
We have some really good promoters bringing lots of great bands to Australia.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #888 on: May 02, 2015, 06:43:14 AM »
Great show last night. Got to have dinner with Ted and he was so down to earth.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #889 on: May 04, 2015, 05:32:02 PM »
Spock's was indeed amazing. A treat from Friday's show: https://www.wpapu.com/sounds/SB2015-05-01BoD.mp3
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #890 on: May 04, 2015, 05:34:10 PM »
They play any new stuff?

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #891 on: May 04, 2015, 05:36:49 PM »
They did indeed to one forthcoming song.

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #892 on: June 17, 2015, 08:04:50 AM »
From InsideOut Music:
Legendary progressive-rockers Spock’s Beard are pleased to announce that their brand new 12th studio album ‘The Oblivion Particle’ is set for release on the 21st August 2015.
According to bassist Dave Meros, it’s not a matter of how much the new album recalls past Spock’s material, but how much it differs. “I think the opening track 'Tides of Time' is classic Spock's in terms of arrangement and style, but everything else is fairly different. That said, the whole album is still within the parameters of what people expect to hear from us.”
Spock’s Beard’s forthcoming new studio album ‘The Oblivion Particle’ is the follow-up to 2013’s Brief Nocturnes and Dreamless Sleep. The album finds the band answering the needs of their creations by utilizing the considerable versatility of each member.
In addition to Ted Leonard's soaring vocals and Dave Meros' distinctive bass, Alan Morse adds autoharp, banjolele, electric sitar and mandolin to his array of instruments, drummer Jimmy Keegan takes over lead vocals on “Bennett Built a Time Machine” and Ryo expands his arsenal of keyboard sounds throughout the album. In addition, Kansas violinist David Ragsdale lends his touch to the album’s majestic closer, “Disappear.”
Track list:
01. Tides of Time (7:45)
02. Minion (6:53)
03. Hell's Not Enough (6:23)
04. Bennett Built a Time Machine (6:52)
05. Get Out While You Can (4:55)
06. A Better Way To Fly (8:57)
07. The Center Line (7:05)
08. To Be Free Again (10:24)
09. Disappear (6:36)
As with the band’s previous album ‘Brief Nocturnes and Dreamless Sleep,’ ‘The Oblivion Particle’ was recorded at The Mouse House and produced by Rich Mouser, Alan Morse and John Boegehold.
The album will be released as a CD (standard and special edition,) Vinyl and via download. Pre-order info coming soon!

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #893 on: June 17, 2015, 08:07:19 AM »
Nice!  The last album was really good, looking forward to this one.

Also, a Dave Ragsdale appearance is a good, good thing.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #894 on: June 17, 2015, 09:58:35 AM »
Me is very excited.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #895 on: June 17, 2015, 10:07:09 AM »
Got to hear one new song at RoSfest.  Can't wait for this album.  The band is hitting on all cylinders live now and the last album was great.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #896 on: June 17, 2015, 10:38:37 AM »
As noted on Facebook, there are some previous album cover easter eggs/nuggets hidden in this new album cover:
Day For Night's album cover in a postcard
V's road sign
Snow's road sign
Feel Euphoria's rainbow fish
Octane's album cover in a postcard
SB9's SB logo on a mug (I think that counts?)
X's X in the chair's back

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #897 on: June 17, 2015, 10:45:27 AM »
As noted on Facebook, there are some previous album cover easter eggs/nuggets hidden in this new album cover:
V's road sign
Snow's road sign

-Marc.

I don't see Snow's Road sign? I'm sure I'm just missing it..

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #898 on: June 17, 2015, 10:49:13 AM »
I think the Rod/Reel on the right would symbolize Brief Nocturnes since the cover art has someone fishing off the boat?

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #899 on: June 17, 2015, 10:50:49 AM »
V's road sign
Snow's road sign

-Marc.

I don't see Snow's Road sign? I'm sure I'm just missing it..

Above the machine with the meters, next to the window.

I think the Rod/Reel on the right would symbolize Brief Nocturnes since the cover art has someone fishing off the boat?

Good spotting! Makes sense. Still nothing I see from the first three albums, though.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #900 on: June 17, 2015, 10:52:50 AM »
Above the machine with the meters, next to the window.

Good spotting! Makes sense. Still nothing I see from the first three albums, though.

-Marc.

Now I see it.  :facepalm:

I posted my BNaDS thoughts on the FB page. It appears you 'liked it'. ;)

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #901 on: June 17, 2015, 11:57:06 PM »
Eagerly awaiting this one. The last two albums were some of the best they've done (including the Morse albums).
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #902 on: June 18, 2015, 11:39:25 AM »
I can't wait! Brief Nocturnes is one of my favourite albums of recent years. Also, very cool that they've inserted references to previous covers in this cover. Artwork where you find new things with every viewing is great fun!

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #903 on: June 18, 2015, 02:39:50 PM »
perhaps the wooden panes in the window is the ode to The Light?  It's a stretch, but I have trouble they would have references to only 7/11 (8 if you count the idea that the fishing pole = BNADS).  Why not do all 11?
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline RoeDent

« Reply #904 on: June 18, 2015, 03:16:27 PM »
perhaps the wooden panes in the window is the ode to The Light?  It's a stretch, but I have trouble they would have references to only 7/11 (8 if you count the idea that the fishing pole = BNADS).  Why not do all 11?

I was actually thinking the lamp next to the SB-logo cup would represent The Light.

On another note, I'm struggling to find the Snow road sign (fork in the road). I can see the V one, on the floor underneath the chair, but not the Snow one.

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #905 on: June 18, 2015, 03:28:47 PM »

I was actually thinking the lamp next to the SB-logo cup would represent The Light.

On another note, I'm struggling to find the Snow road sign (fork in the road). I can see the V one, on the floor underneath the chair, but not the Snow one.

Up on top the gauges the guy is at.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #906 on: June 19, 2015, 04:57:06 AM »
Looks great.  :metal

I cant' spot most of those hints on the cover, though.  :lol

Offline RoeDent

« Reply #907 on: June 19, 2015, 10:33:06 AM »
Up on top the gauges the guy is at.

Oh right! Man, I looked everywhere and couldn't find it.  :lol

Maybe references to the other album covers will be in the booklet artwork.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #908 on: July 01, 2015, 06:23:25 AM »
They posted their first track on FB this morning - Tides of Time.  Can't seem to get a direct link, because it's a Soundcloud embedded link, and it doesn't seem to be public yet at Soundcloud.com.  So, go to their FB page

https://www.facebook.com/spocksbeard?fref=nf

Likin the sound if this.  Very Ryo-heavy.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #909 on: July 01, 2015, 06:38:41 AM »
Sounds like Spock's Beard.