Author Topic: Spock's Beard  (Read 146768 times)

Online The Letter M

Re: Spock's Beard
« Reply #1050 on: September 14, 2015, 09:53:35 AM »
You can now pre-order it at Radiant Records, even bundled with the new Flying Colors live album for $45, and the first 200 pre-orders get a signed print with ALL SEVEN members of SB. Too bad I'm poor til Wednesday (payday). Ah well, I have enough of their signatures anyways lol besides, I plan on getting the new Flying Colors love album from Mascot anyway since they have a tshirt and poster bundle as usual!

- Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline OpenYourEyes311

« Reply #1051 on: September 14, 2015, 10:08:32 AM »
So I know a few songs from Neal Morse live albums (June, At The End Of The Day, Wind At My Back, The Light). I know nothing else about this band, really. Would anyone think this new compilation be a good starting point? I like the idea of getting a new song along with some old ones that I know and some that I don't, but if fans think any particular album would be better, then I'd like to know.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2015, 11:10:35 AM by OpenYourEyes311 »
I don't want MP playing with DT unless they were making a drummer change. If they let MM go and bring back MP, then fine, but no guest appearance please.
WELP.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1052 on: September 14, 2015, 10:35:20 AM »
So I know a few songs from Neal Morse live albums (June, At The End Of The Day, Wind At My Back, The Light). I know nothing else about this band, really. Would anyone think this new compilation be a good starting point? I like the idea of getting a new song along with some old ones that I know and some that I don't, but if fans think any particular album would be better, than I'd like to know.
It looks pretty good to me - not all the songs would have been my picks, but mostly solid entries from each album. For me personally, I'm much more of an album listener, but if you're essentially interested in checking out individual songs then this looks like a strong collection.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #1053 on: September 14, 2015, 11:51:56 AM »
I need this so much!  :heart

Honestly, I think they did a fantastic job selecting the songs. The two from Snow wouldn't be my picks, and The Bottom line was never my favorite track from Feel euphoria, but then again, not a single other song from it would be a much better choice. I can't wait to hear the new track. The especially fantastic choices: The Light, At the end of the day, She is everything, On a perfect day, Jaws of heaven.

The cover art is wonderful as well.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1054 on: September 14, 2015, 02:17:52 PM »
Can't wait to hear that new epic featuring all members!  What an awesome idea!
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #1055 on: September 14, 2015, 03:55:34 PM »
Ugh. I hate when bands put new music in with a compilation. Flat out $$$ decision that is intended to screw hardcore fans. Might do something I hate and just buy the individual track, digitally.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Online The Letter M

« Reply #1056 on: September 14, 2015, 04:50:41 PM »
Can't wait to hear that new epic featuring all members!  What an awesome idea!

It's amazing, and I'd love to hear Yes do something similar in memory of Chris Squire. Genesis did something similar but it was a re-recording of an existing song, which Neal even takes a jab at in that press release.

- Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1057 on: September 14, 2015, 05:22:52 PM »
Ugh. I hate when bands put new music in with a compilation. Flat out $$$ decision that is intended to screw hardcore fans. Might do something I hate and just buy the individual track, digitally.

Sadly, I doubt that one track will be eligible to buy individually. 

This is definitely a screw job.  Let's face it, just about anybody who is a fan of Spock's Beard is already a huge fan who has all of those songs anyway, and now you have to buy them all again just to get the one new song?  Bad, bad form.  Cool idea (every member of the band ever playing on it), but terrible execution from a business standpoint.  Completists who have to have everything will eat it up, and it's easy to say that this band is too good to not being making more money, so buying this helps them in that regard, but it just leaves a sour taste in my mouth.

Online The Letter M

« Reply #1058 on: September 14, 2015, 06:38:52 PM »
Boegehold seemed to show some distaste with regards to how soon this is coming out after the new album, and I agree. This feels like a label-driven decision by Inside Out. They're trying to buy in to all of the hype surrounding new SB as well as recent releases with Neal Morse on them.

Sure, it reeks of a cash grab, and if it weren't for the remastering by Rich Mouser and the new track (recorded only last month according to Boegehold), I would wait to buy this for a couple of years. However, I'm a sucker for compilations done right, and this at least offers something new.

I can only hope that casual fans only familiar with early SB will find something to their liking on the second disc and help support the band as they are now. This is definitely a band that needs more exposure and recognition.

- Marc.

Offline ronnibran

« Reply #1059 on: September 14, 2015, 08:31:12 PM »
As a big SB fan i was honestly disappointed when i read about this new compilation. To get the one new song I'll have to pay for a 2cd + dvd box set. Guess i won't be getting it.  Can't really complain because that's my choice. A best of cd isn't bad by itself, heck i just bought a best of by epica tonight that i haven't heard anything from yet. If there was a new song it should have just been included on the new album.

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #1060 on: September 14, 2015, 09:01:39 PM »
Okay, cool, I saw all the positive reactions and was afraid I was the only one annoyed by this news. I don't want to buy a whole album of music I already have just to get the one epic. Bands like Foo Fighters, The Killers and Silversun Pickups did that on their compilation albums and I hate that practice so much.
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #1061 on: September 15, 2015, 12:08:08 AM »

Same here, if it is available individually, I will buy the new song, if not, then no. Maybe if the best of is on sale sometimes in the future I might get it but not for the regular price.

I hate it when when record companies try to bait the hardcore fans with new tracks on compilation, and more often than not those new tracks aren't worth the money.  :angry:
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Online The Letter M

« Reply #1062 on: September 15, 2015, 12:23:22 AM »
I think including the DVD is a fair trade to re-buy songs, especially with older, archival footage like behind-the-scenes footage of the making of The Kindness Of Strangers.

Even if I spend $25 on the whole thing, that's still kind of worth a new epic and a DVD of unreleased video of the band!

-Marc.

Offline Kwyjibo

« Reply #1063 on: September 15, 2015, 01:56:19 AM »
I just don't like the thinking behind it, it's like: let's put out something that all the fans already have and therefore only a few completists will buy, but to make the rest buy it nonetheless, let's put on a little extra.

And do we know that the DVD is something we haven't seen before? Or is it also a mixture of previously released footage?

Why not release the DVD separately and the new song on a disc with new or previously unreleased material? That way every fan will buy it.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1064 on: September 15, 2015, 02:20:23 AM »
I just don't like the thinking behind it, it's like: let's put out something that all the fans already have and therefore only a few completists will buy, but to make the rest buy it nonetheless, let's put on a little extra.

And do we know that the DVD is something we haven't seen before? Or is it also a mixture of previously released footage?

Why not release the DVD separately and the new song on a disc with new or previously unreleased material? That way every fan will buy it.
I think you answered your question in your first paragraph.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #1065 on: September 15, 2015, 02:38:18 AM »
Seriously, that package will be worth it for the DVD and the bonus track alone. Depends a little on the price though, but still.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Kwyjibo

« Reply #1066 on: September 15, 2015, 03:28:23 AM »

I think you answered your question in your first paragraph.

My question was more of a rhethorical question. But I wonder if they wouldn't sell more by releasing the material separately.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #1067 on: September 15, 2015, 03:41:39 AM »
So the guys put out one compilation in 20 years and people get mad? I think it's a great idea to put out a compilation at this point. BNADS sold extremely well, it was their most successful album since God knows when, and The Oblivion particle seems to be doing well in that regard. I'd imagine a number of people being introduced to Spock's beard right now and not knowing what a good starting point would be - well, here it is. If it's not worth it for the cover art, new song and a bonus DVD, I don't know what else they should include to make it more special.

It's also a statement that they put the Neil era stuff on one disc and the second one consists of the songs from the other half of their, just to show how much strong, epic material they've released since then. Again, I can sense they really struggled deciding which songs to select, that was an effort enough. Not to mention all the other thought that went into it.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1068 on: September 15, 2015, 06:50:24 AM »
Not sure why the problems with the package.  A new, history spanning composition, plus never-before-seen footage on the DVD make this more than worth it.

There would be no point to a band like SB putting out a Greatest Hits package without including something new on it.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Kwyjibo

« Reply #1069 on: September 15, 2015, 06:59:55 AM »
If you don't see my problem with this kind of package, then it's no big deal. I've just stated my reasoning and my opinion and that is definitely not universally valid. To each his own.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1070 on: September 15, 2015, 09:10:10 AM »
Not sure why the problems with the package.  A new, history spanning composition, plus never-before-seen footage on the DVD make this more than barely worth it.

Fix'd

There would be no point to a band like SB putting out a Greatest Hits package without including something new on it.

Agree completely. Remastered of some of the earlier ones helps too, but shit like this rewards new fans, and is a snub to long-time loyal fans.  Doesn't matter which band does it.  I got hooked in with the R40 box set this way.  I already had all six concerts, but picked this up (as a gift from my kids) for some of the extras.  Still stung like a bitch to shell out the money for it.

However, I also have no problem giving my money to bands that deserve and need it (especially the latter).  I'll likely cave and get the whole damn thing.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1071 on: September 15, 2015, 09:53:01 AM »
Agree completely. Remastered of some of the earlier ones helps too, but shit like this rewards new fans, and is a snub to long-time loyal fans.
Not sure how it's a snub. If you want it then there's a bunch of new stuff on it, and if you don't then you don't need to get it. Greatest Hits only really exist for new fans, but it's pretty normal to want to throw in some extra features to entice existing fans - as hef says, especially for a band like SB.

I be am boner inducing.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1072 on: September 15, 2015, 10:04:40 AM »
Not sure why the problems with the package.  A new, history spanning composition, plus never-before-seen footage on the DVD make this more than barely worth it.

Fix'd

Agree completely. Remastered of some of the earlier ones helps too, but shit like this rewards new fans, and is a snub to long-time loyal fans. 
So, you are against Greatest Hits packages in general?  Or only Greatest Hits packages with new shit on them too?

Online The Letter M

« Reply #1073 on: September 15, 2015, 10:49:46 AM »
For those wondering about the DVD, here's what the email from Radiant Records said:
"[T]he DVD portion of the release will include rare footage of the band in the 90's, featuring vintage live performances from Progfest '97 as well as the band rehearsing and recording "The Kindness of Strangers" album."

Granted, the Progfest '97 show was already released to Inner Circle members (and is still available to members as far as I know), but now it's being made available to the general public!

The TKOS behind-the-scenes stuff is what has me really interested, especially as we've seen stuff like that for DFN, V and Snow already. Any and all early-SB history we can get is amazing, so I'm looking forward to that!

-Marc.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1074 on: September 15, 2015, 02:01:26 PM »

So, you are against Greatest Hits packages in general?  Or only Greatest Hits packages with new shit on them too?

Not against them... it's a great way for someone to get involved in a band without having to go whole-hog on a complete discography, which is overwhelming at 4-5 albums, let alone 12.  I've got a lot of "best-of" packages.  But to give that group something as unique and appealing as what SB is offering, I get annoyed that those fans are somehow more worthy of something like that over existing fans.

If they offered this track as a digital download only, that would feel a lot more fair.  Hell, I'd probably pay as much as $5 for it.  But to go that extra $20+ for content that I either A) already have (despite the remaster) or B) am largely uninterested in ... that grates on me.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1075 on: September 15, 2015, 02:47:56 PM »
Is the new song exclusive to the package?

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1076 on: September 15, 2015, 05:34:55 PM »
Is the new song exclusive to the package?

That was my interpretation.

Offline ronnibran

« Reply #1077 on: September 15, 2015, 05:49:20 PM »
Someone purchasing a "best of" (someone who doesn't have the Spock's discography) probably doesn't care that there's a new song on there.  I have nothing against it, I get that it was a unique opportunity to put out a new track.  It just doesn't work out for me as I have no interest in the DVD either.  I would have gotten the new album if that had included this new track.  But alas I haven't gotten either;  I like them but not quite enough to get a blind purchase.  Oh well, I get it, have it on the greatest hits and sell more copies of that.  I'm sure it will pop up on youtube eventually so I'll eventually hear it.  The band seems like they're all decent dudes so I don't think they're trying to screw anyone.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1078 on: September 15, 2015, 06:48:15 PM »
Someone purchasing a "best of" (someone who doesn't have the Spock's discography) probably doesn't care that there's a new song on there.  I have nothing against it, I get that it was a unique opportunity to put out a new track.  It just doesn't work out for me as I have no interest in the DVD either.  I would have gotten the new album if that had included this new track.  But alas I haven't gotten either;  I like them but not quite enough to get a blind purchase.  Oh well, I get it, have it on the greatest hits and sell more copies of that.  I'm sure it will pop up on youtube eventually so I'll eventually hear it.  The band seems like they're all decent dudes so I don't think they're trying to screw anyone.

True, but it's one of those "good business decision that is bad for longtime fans" decisions.  The idea of throwing a new song on a greatest hits record is so 25 years ago.  Once iTunes and the ability to buy individual songs, instead of having to buy whole albums just to get that one or two new song(s), became the thing, that practice has mostly gone away, yet SB is still doing it here.  It's disappointing, especially since I am someone who has legally purchased every single Spock's Beard studio album.  I don't care about artwork or a live DVD that I would watch once and likely never again; I care about the tunes, and spending that much money for ONE song I don't have yet is not something I will do.

Offline ronnibran

« Reply #1079 on: September 15, 2015, 07:07:55 PM »
I totally get that, I think I was trying to give them the benefit of the doubt.  I also have every song (legally) they've made with the exception of the newest album (might get it at some point, I've been into other music as of late so I haven't bothered).  Knowing that Neal related stuff is not on spotify, and the album will likely not be available digitally (or if it is only through Radiant as a whole album), I  pretty much am banking on missing out on the new song. (even if it shows up on amazon or something digitally the epic will be a "full album only" song).

I honestly have no clue.  Part of me thinks "how much money can they actually make off of this?" and the other part of me can believe in the cash grab theory.  I guess I only started posting about it because it irks me like it has irked some others.

Offline Kwyjibo

« Reply #1080 on: September 16, 2015, 12:09:51 AM »
Not against them... it's a great way for someone to get involved in a band without having to go whole-hog on a complete discography, which is overwhelming at 4-5 albums, let alone 12.  I've got a lot of "best-of" packages.  But to give that group something as unique and appealing as what SB is offering, I get annoyed that those fans are somehow more worthy of something like that over existing fans.

If they offered this track as a digital download only, that would feel a lot more fair.  Hell, I'd probably pay as much as $5 for it.  But to go that extra $20+ for content that I either A) already have (despite the remaster) or B) am largely uninterested in ... that grates on me.

That's all I'm saying. Put it out in digital form or as an EP and I'm first day buyer.

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1081 on: September 18, 2015, 09:44:58 AM »
You can now pre-order it at Radiant Records, even bundled with the new Flying Colors live album for $45, and the first 200 pre-orders get a signed print with ALL SEVEN members of SB. Too bad I'm poor til Wednesday (payday). Ah well, I have enough of their signatures anyways lol besides, I plan on getting the new Flying Colors love album from Mascot anyway since they have a tshirt and poster bundle as usual!

- Marc.

I don't even think I got any notification on this presale at all. Sort of irked about it.

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #1082 on: September 18, 2015, 10:01:38 AM »

That's all I'm saying. Put it out in digital form or as an EP and I'm first day buyer.

This 100%. I'd pay $5 for a 20 minute song. But they won't see one penny more from me for material I already own. All this is going to do push fans to download the songs via other means.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #1083 on: September 18, 2015, 02:41:35 PM »
For those wondering about the DVD, here's what the email from Radiant Records said:
"[T]he DVD portion of the release will include rare footage of the band in the 90's, featuring vintage live performances from Progfest '97 as well as the band rehearsing and recording "The Kindness of Strangers" album."

Granted, the Progfest '97 show was already released to Inner Circle members (and is still available to members as far as I know), but now it's being made available to the general public!

The TKOS behind-the-scenes stuff is what has me really interested, especially as we've seen stuff like that for DFN, V and Snow already. Any and all early-SB history we can get is amazing, so I'm looking forward to that!

-Marc.

Yeah, they saw me coming a mile away.  I went for the $45 combo package  :lol   Think I might have been among the first 200 too  :hat

Online The Letter M

« Reply #1084 on: September 19, 2015, 11:46:42 AM »
So, I was looking at old setlists since the Progfest '97 show is now going to be widely available to fans (still want it on CD, though...), I noticed that we never got the FULL Progfest '95 show on the Official Live Bootleg!

The Light
Go the Way You Go
Time Has Come
Thoughts
The Doorway
The Water
On the Edge

At about over 95 minutes of music, regardless of how well it was all played, I would LOVE to have this entire show on CD and/or DVD!!! That's an astonishing set list from 1995, and it's a shame we didn't get "Time Has Come" or "The Doorway" on the Official Live Bootleg.

-Marc.