News:

Track-by-track video for Fall Into the Light:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ezfzdMpRc0

Main Menu

Blind Faith Appreciation

Started by SilentFox, January 30, 2010, 11:14:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SilentFox

Who else here is in love with Blind Faith?  This song was really a grower for me, but now it's my favorite on the first disk of SDOIT.  The mysterious ambiance, insane keyboard solo that actually fits into the music well (unlike AROP or ANTR), not to mention crazy but subtle drumming.  JLB is top-notch.  Intro is absolutely majestic.  I can't say enough about how great this song is.  I don't know what DT's history is with playing this live, but they seriously need to bring it back.

juice

the entire disc 1 album is amazing!  therefore blind faith is great too!

sonatafanica

I've seen it live, and it's simply an awesome tune. Love it.

AwakeFromOctavarium

Another appreciation thread...

My Disc 1 ranks are
1. The Glass Prison
2. Blind Faith
3. The Great Debate
4. Misunderstood
5. Disappear

Blind Faith is pure awesome. I actually noticed some LTE feel in this song. Has really good structure and awesome riffs.

BlobVanDam

My least favourite from the album, although it's still a very good song, just overrated considering what else is on the album. Great solo from JP, especially that first descending run, and great solo work from JR too of course. It overall reminds me a lot of LTL, mostly in structure. (Am I the only one reminded of LtL with the piano break and instrumental section?)

I guess my only real criticism of the song is that it doesn't feel as well defined as the other songs on the album. It lacks a bit of the character the other songs achieve so perfectly, but again I'm speaking in relative terms rather than absolute.

yeshaberto

such a catchy chorus, I love it

RandalGraves

This is always a weird song for me because when I think back on it, I think it's pretty great.  Then I listen to it.  It's a good song, no doubts there, but that's about it.

black_biff_stadler

Quote from: AwakeFromOctavarium on January 30, 2010, 11:46:05 PM
Another appreciation thread...

My Disc 1 ranks are
1. The Glass Prison
2. Blind Faith
3. The Great Debate
4. Misunderstood
5. Disappear

Blind Faith is pure awesome. I actually noticed some LTE feel in this song. Has really good structure and awesome riffs.

Cool! exact same order for me. The whole solo section is an awesome chapter in the book of how DT can sometimes make an excessive shredfest that even the "analyst" fanboys can't pick apart.

glaurung

Really good song. One of my favorite DT songs in general.

SilentFox

Quote from: BlobVanDam on January 30, 2010, 11:52:24 PM
My least favourite from the album, although it's still a very good song, just overrated considering what else is on the album. Great solo from JP, especially that first descending run, and great solo work from JR too of course. It overall reminds me a lot of LTL, mostly in structure. (Am I the only one reminded of LtL with the piano break and instrumental section?)

I guess my only real criticism of the song is that it doesn't feel as well defined as the other songs on the album. It lacks a bit of the character the other songs achieve so perfectly, but again I'm speaking in relative terms rather than absolute.

Really? I always observed that the other songs gathered more attention and praise than BF, especially TGP and Disappear.  I'm not saying that it's unreasonable to place BF at the bottom of the list, but to say it's overrated is just not true.  But nice parallel with LtL, with the instrumental sectiona and the developing chorus and whatnot.  My only real complaint about BF would be that it follows the typical Verse-Chorus-Verse-Chorus-Intrumental Break-Chorus format, while LtL is much more innovative in its composition.

I didn't mention it before, but I totally dig JMX in this!  He has some interesting runs.

tri.ad

My favourite song on SDOIT, and it sits comfortably in my top 10. Great, great song. Also, it contains one of the best keyboard solos by JR.

BlobVanDam

Quote from: SilentFox on January 31, 2010, 01:44:41 AM
Quote from: BlobVanDam on January 30, 2010, 11:52:24 PM

Really? I always observed that the other songs gathered more attention and praise than BF, especially TGP and Disappear.  I'm not saying that it's unreasonable to place BF at the bottom of the list, but to say it's overrated is just not true.  But nice parallel with LtL, with the instrumental sectiona and the developing chorus and whatnot.  My only real complaint about BF would be that it follows the typical Verse-Chorus-Verse-Chorus-Intrumental Break-Chorus format, while LtL is much more innovative in its composition.

I didn't mention it before, but I totally dig JMX in this!  He has some interesting runs.

TGP is the only other song from SDOIT that I see get near the level of praise that BF gets. Considering that I think that it's the weakest on the album, I'd still call that overrated.

Mladen

It's a fun song, but not one of my favorites on the album...

LTE

I see the whole first disc as being pretty equal imo. Equally amazing. SDOIT is now tied for favorite album.

But yeah I love the lyrics to this, the keyboard into, and how it gets so powerful when the chorus hits.

hefdaddy42

Blind Faith is an amazing song.  Top 20 easy, maybe higher.  IMHO the only song on the album that compares with it is The Glass Prison.
Quote from: BlobVanDam on December 11, 2014, 08:19:46 PMHef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Rafael Guerra

Blind Faith is one of the reasons I consider SDOIT one of their best albums. Piano-wise, the sounds brought into it are magic and although it brings sort of a happier feel than the other songs in the album, its still a fast happy song and definably a watermark from the album. I like the CIM version too.

PlaysLikeMyung

the organ solo is one of the most progressive things they've done. It kind of reminds me of some ELP

Plasmastrike

I'm glad this popped up. I've actually listened to SDOIT in its entirety twice lately and enjoyed it so much. It's such a fucking fresh album with lots of new ideas. While I love TOT, I wish they would have kept on pushing the boundaries after it.

ddtonfire

One of my favorite DT songs and my favorite DT unison section!

Marvellous G

Yeah, the unison section is really fantastic, great song overall, but it still sort of annoys me that the chorus is in minor, while the verses are in major, it still doesn't quite fit for me. Great song nonetheless.

Space Invader

The whole of Six Degrees is great, and so is Blind Faith.
Plus, the piano halfway through is perfect and beautiful.

Kyo

The chorus is pretty weak, but the rest of the song is so cool that I really don't care.
The whole section starting with "and still life pushes on" until the unisons is just killer!

ddtonfire

Quote from: Kyo on January 31, 2010, 11:57:21 AM
The chorus is pretty weak, but the rest of the song is so cool that I really don't care.

I agree with this. The pre-chorus makes up for it, but it's still kind of anti-climatic.

Basekick

Please tell me I'm not the only one who read the thread title and thought "Um...shouldn't this be in general music discussion?"

:facepalm:

Staying on topic though, damn good song, and I absolutely love the instrumental section.  JLB is pretty horrible though singing this in CIM.

PlaysLikeMyung

^ good band, but I could tell that this was about the song :P

DarkLord_Lalinc

Amazing song from my favorite DT album. JR really shines in here.

robwebster

The song that elevated Dream Theater, for me, from "hey these guys are pretty cool, I'll listen to their music now and then" to "this is so amazing."

Seriously. I was so in love with Blind Faith that you couldn't believe it. It was like a journey. An odyssey. I got into DT through listening to individual tracks that a friend sent me, and I didn't have a laptop, so I had to put Blind Faith on a CD so I could bring it into my bedroom and listen to it on the CD player. With headphones, often. So at night, I'd close my eyes, press play, and experience the journey. Right in my ears, blocking out everything else. Just the music. And the images in my head. And I didn't know music could be like this! So many colours! So many moods! What a voyage.

Oh god I miss that. Discovering music. That was good. Carolina IV by Angra was also on that CD, or another one I made shortly after. That was like an expedition every time I listened to it. A journey all around the world, on a ship. I could see it returning, ragged, at the end. I could hear the stormy seas. Carolina IV ends in the same way it began, too. Like Blind Faith did. Maybe that was the little key. The sense of coming full circle, but going to so many different places.

Crikey you guys have got me all nostalgic. I'm welling up - although, truth be told, that's because I put on too much Vaporub and it's stinging my eyes. But yes. Blind Faith got me into Dream Theater, into progressive music, into emotional music. Don't get me wrong, I listened to music before. Hell, I listened to Dream Theater before. I liked ITNOG and Honor thy Father, but mainly cause they were heavy and had loads of cool singalongy bits. And I liked Therion and Nightwish before hearing Dream Theater because I loved orchestras, so I did love powerful music that makes you swell up - and I loved heavy music. Always liked heavy music. But I never realised how epic music could be until I listened to Blind Faith, aged about 14, not long after Train of Thought was released. Beautiful.

Ben_Jamin

Yup Yup. one of the reasons why 6doit is my favorite album. everything after sounds pretty much the same. but this was like the best thing they've recorded with jordan. everything is mixed well

Dublagent66

It's great and JP's solo really gives it flavor.   :hefdaddy

ReaperKK

One of the first DT song I ever listened to, it's now my favorite DT song.

Dr. DTVT

This song didn't really click for me until I got the CiM CD/DVD.  And then it clicked...big time, including the studio version.

axeman90210

Quote from: hefdaddy42 on January 31, 2010, 05:59:49 AM
Blind Faith is an amazing song.  Top 20 easy, maybe higher.  IMHO the only song on the album that compares with it is The Glass Prison.

Perpetual Change

Blind Faith is the only song in the 10-15 minute range Dream Theater have written that can hang with Learning to Live in terms of awesomeness.

wolfking

Top 3 DT songs for me.  Classic, I love it.  The airy atmosphere is amazing!!

cygnusx1jg

Blind Faith/Misunderstood IMO is probably the best sequential 20 minutes ever put on a DT record.  I love BF more for it's music and Mis more for it's lyrics (some of the best DT has ever written).