Author Topic: The Depressed/Angry Thread.  (Read 255431 times)

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: The Depressed Thread.
« Reply #455 on: June 28, 2010, 03:17:03 PM »
Here's something to actually get down about: the gradual realization that the US could turn into a failed state in the next 20 or so years is a very real possibility.

Even Rome fell, no state is forever although I don't believe it'll happen in our life time.

EDIT: Unless North Korea wins that 75 trillion lawsuit, then we're fucked lol.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #456 on: June 28, 2010, 06:11:56 PM »
We're not that far off. Failed statehood doesn't necessarily mean chaos and going the way of Rome; we'll just be living in the 1970s...for a really really long time.
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #457 on: June 28, 2010, 06:13:17 PM »
Governemental meltdowns aside, I am feeling so low and lonely.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #458 on: June 28, 2010, 06:15:09 PM »
We love you. :heart:

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #459 on: June 28, 2010, 07:02:17 PM »

Come on over, we can lonely together and feel each other.

....or something.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2010, 08:17:00 PM by Adami »
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #460 on: June 28, 2010, 08:15:07 PM »

Come on over, we can lonely together and feel each other.

....or something.

Do I smell pooper?

Uhhhhhh....

Online Adami

« Reply #461 on: June 28, 2010, 08:17:25 PM »
No, but james will taste his own pooper, if you get my meaning.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #462 on: June 28, 2010, 08:44:45 PM »
Ever since I was little I've had trust issues with just about nearly everyone I meet. Even with my closest friends, I can't seem to shake feelings that they might actually dislike me. Every few years I seem to hang around with a different circle of friends because I eventually just detach myself from the old ones. It gets so bad that I begin to feel resentment towards those closest to me. I am always suspicious that they might be talking about me behind my back, or that they just keep me around for monetary reasons. I am up at 2am because I can't go to bed because I can't shake these feelings of distrust. It drives me fucking crazy because I know I'm being irrational, but I still am so emotionally effected.

I can fully understand this. I often can't help but feel that everyone I've ever had as a friend actually dislikes me to some extent. And I generally maintain a close friendship with very few people for longer than a year to two years. I just get the impression most people want nothing to do with me anymore after that long. The funny thing is, people tell me it's nonsense, and before I know it, another person I considered myself close friends with makes endless excuses when I try to arrange to meet up, or never seems free to talk on the phone, and I eventually just have to bite the bullet that another good friend has chosen to cut me out.

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #463 on: June 28, 2010, 08:55:11 PM »
No, but james will taste his own pooper, if you get my meaning.

It better only be in the heat of the moment.
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #464 on: June 29, 2010, 07:49:09 PM »
Ever since I was little I've had trust issues with just about nearly everyone I meet. Even with my closest friends, I can't seem to shake feelings that they might actually dislike me. Every few years I seem to hang around with a different circle of friends because I eventually just detach myself from the old ones. It gets so bad that I begin to feel resentment towards those closest to me. I am always suspicious that they might be talking about me behind my back, or that they just keep me around for monetary reasons. I am up at 2am because I can't go to bed because I can't shake these feelings of distrust. It drives me fucking crazy because I know I'm being irrational, but I still am so emotionally effected.

I can fully understand this. I often can't help but feel that everyone I've ever had as a friend actually dislikes me to some extent. And I generally maintain a close friendship with very few people for longer than a year to two years. I just get the impression most people want nothing to do with me anymore after that long. The funny thing is, people tell me it's nonsense, and before I know it, another person I considered myself close friends with makes endless excuses when I try to arrange to meet up, or never seems free to talk on the phone, and I eventually just have to bite the bullet that another good friend has chosen to cut me out.

I also understand this.

I don't know. It has wound me up into a cyclic routine of locking myself in my room most of the time, away from everyone, wondering why I feel alone all the time. It's like a prison I set up for myself.

This is why I was just feeling depressed last night. The older I get, the more I see that people, in general, are so weird. I say "weird" because they probably have their own issues to work out. Life is just such a weight to carry sometimes. I still feel down.

Offline Hyperplex

• Evelator
  • EZBoard Elder
  • So often fragile power turns to scorn and ridicule
« Reply #465 on: July 01, 2010, 12:56:25 PM »
Being disrespected is one of the easiest ways to fall into a deeper chasm.
"My melancholy wants to rest in the hiding places and abysses of perfection. This is why I need music." –Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline contest_sanity

« Reply #466 on: July 01, 2010, 01:34:15 PM »
Never run into this thread before, but I guess I'll share, for what it's worth.  I am diagnosed bi-polar, have been for about 4 years now, though I have actually been dealing with it for much longer than that.  I haven't read all 14 pages of this thread, so I don't know if anyone else also deals with this specific disorder.  Basically, you cycle between stages of depression and mania (mine usually last about 6 months or so).  The depression side I'm sure others are familiar with.  As far as mania goes, essentially it's an uncontrolled euphoria in which you go kind of crazy (not sleeping, doing stuff you normally would never do, etc.).  Anyway, it just occurred to me that we probably don't need my primer on a DT forum since we have Six Degrees at our disposal.

But I have been on medication for the past 4 years, which has helped immensely, along with therapy meetings with a counselor.  I am not by any means "cured," nor do I believe I ever will be.  I still cycle through the same stages but normally they are much less intense (due to the meds), and I have learned to deal with them much better.

It's cool to see a thread like this, though, because, unfortunately, there is still far too great a stigma surrounding mental illnesses/disorders.  I know I don't talk about it much IRL. 

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #467 on: July 01, 2010, 02:41:48 PM »
I am at a pivotal moment in my life and I have no idea what I want to do when I grow up.  My dad says that I pretty much have to figure out now what I want to do with the rest of my life, but so far all I've done is hit a bunch of dead ends.

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #468 on: July 01, 2010, 07:48:38 PM »
Why do you have to figure that out now?
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #469 on: July 01, 2010, 07:50:04 PM »
SD, ignore your dad. You have plenty of time, don't get all worked up.

Offline DarkEternalNight

• I take the "the" out of psychotherapist
  • GODDDD ISSSS DEAAADDDD
« Reply #470 on: July 01, 2010, 08:04:54 PM »
Just do something that you love and can make a decent living off of.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #471 on: July 01, 2010, 08:14:40 PM »
That's kinda the problem; I haven't found anything yet that I get absolutely stoked about.  I'm not a passionate person like that, except with like "real life" things, I guess is what I'd call them: family, friends, girlfriend, etc.  You can't make a career out of pleasing your girlfriend or raising a family.

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #472 on: July 01, 2010, 08:17:20 PM »
I would suggest trying to get internships at different places you might think you'd like.

Offline contest_sanity

« Reply #473 on: July 01, 2010, 08:29:55 PM »
You can't make a career out of pleasing your girlfriend or raising a family.
Stay-at-home Dad.

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #474 on: July 01, 2010, 10:26:36 PM »
Never run into this thread before, but I guess I'll share, for what it's worth.  I am diagnosed bi-polar, have been for about 4 years now, though I have actually been dealing with it for much longer than that.  I haven't read all 14 pages of this thread, so I don't know if anyone else also deals with this specific disorder.  Basically, you cycle between stages of depression and mania (mine usually last about 6 months or so).  The depression side I'm sure others are familiar with.  As far as mania goes, essentially it's an uncontrolled euphoria in which you go kind of crazy (not sleeping, doing stuff you normally would never do, etc.).  Anyway, it just occurred to me that we probably don't need my primer on a DT forum since we have Six Degrees at our disposal.

But I have been on medication for the past 4 years, which has helped immensely, along with therapy meetings with a counselor.  I am not by any means "cured," nor do I believe I ever will be.  I still cycle through the same stages but normally they are much less intense (due to the meds), and I have learned to deal with them much better.

It's cool to see a thread like this, though, because, unfortunately, there is still far too great a stigma surrounding mental illnesses/disorders.  I know I don't talk about it much IRL. 

Well, we are here for you man. Feel free to let it out, let it out.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #475 on: July 01, 2010, 10:27:09 PM »
That's kinda the problem; I haven't found anything yet that I get absolutely stoked about.  I'm not a passionate person like that, except with like "real life" things, I guess is what I'd call them: family, friends, girlfriend, etc.  You can't make a career out of pleasing your girlfriend or raising a family.

SD,  I'm pushing 32 and I don't know how much longer I want to do what I'm doing.  The nice thing about getting an education is that you will have lots of doors available to you.  The traditional notion of a career is dying - many people change careers over their lifetime because they feel the need to find new challenges.  Unless you are becoming something highly speciallized like a brain surgeon - there is always wiggle room to try change.  There is no point about worrying about something that far down the future.  Hell, we might be in a post-apocolyptic zombie filled world in about 2 years when 2012 hits.

Relax, and enjoy life and the here and now.

Offline blackngold29

« Reply #476 on: July 01, 2010, 11:47:07 PM »
So what do you do when you like a girl, but the feeling isn't exactly mutual, but she says she likes being your friend, but doesn't always seem to act that way, and her boyfriend is a douchebag and you don't want her to get hurt, but any time she's feeling down and you try to comfort her she doesn't seem to like it, but she'll never come out and say that, nor will she tell you to stop, so you think that maybe there's still a shred of a chance that deep down she knows she likes you and won't admit it for some reason, which drives you absolutely in-bleeping-sane, but all you want is for her to be happy so it's difficult to say nothing when she looks sad, and you just feel like you're stuck in this phase that will never end, but you feel so strongly you want to hold her close and keep her safe, although every once in a while you just want to punch her square in that beautiful fucking face?

Online Adami

« Reply #477 on: July 02, 2010, 12:03:49 AM »
So what do you do when you like a girl, but the feeling isn't exactly mutual, but she says she likes being your friend, but doesn't always seem to act that way, and her boyfriend is a douchebag and you don't want her to get hurt, but any time she's feeling down and you try to comfort her she doesn't seem to like it, but she'll never come out and say that, nor will she tell you to stop, so you think that maybe there's still a shred of a chance that deep down she knows she likes you and won't admit it for some reason, which drives you absolutely in-bleeping-sane, but all you want is for her to be happy so it's difficult to say nothing when she looks sad, and you just feel like you're stuck in this phase that will never end, but you feel so strongly you want to hold her close and keep her safe, although every once in a while you just want to punch her square in that beautiful fucking face?

Welcome to life. Get used to this situation, it will happen A LOT.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline MetalManiac666

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #478 on: July 02, 2010, 12:05:08 AM »
Longest sentence ever, though I have no advice to offer.

Offline Hyperplex

• Evelator
  • EZBoard Elder
  • So often fragile power turns to scorn and ridicule
« Reply #479 on: July 02, 2010, 09:26:21 AM »
One of my biggest problem is my perception that I am a burden to everyone with whom I interact. It is a feeling that I have with just about everyone and it really hampers me mentally and emotionally. Feeling this way hinders every social relationship I have in some way. I can logically argue with myself that it's true when someone tells me I'm not a burden, I cannot stop feeling like I still am. It has damaged several friendships of mine and is a pervasive problem.

On a regular basis, I don't feel I'm worthy of the time my friends spend on me.
"My melancholy wants to rest in the hiding places and abysses of perfection. This is why I need music." –Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #480 on: July 02, 2010, 12:29:07 PM »

I knew a girl like that who I had fallen for, for two years.  She manipulated me, really fucked around with me, for her own twisted pleasure.  I would never say I wished harm upon anyone.  She's the only one.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #481 on: July 02, 2010, 12:49:49 PM »
I am at a pivotal moment in my life and I have no idea what I want to do when I grow up.  My dad says that I pretty much have to figure out now what I want to do with the rest of my life, but so far all I've done is hit a bunch of dead ends.

Just go with what you enjoy with most right now. When I finished High School I always wanted to do something with Computer Engineering. Well 4 years into my 5 year degree and I decided it's completely not for me, I graduated and I'm doing something I love right now which is trading.

What I'm getting at is you can't possibly decide what you love and the snap of your fingers, it's a progression that you slowly go into. Explore hobbies and explore things you like.

Offline blackngold29

« Reply #482 on: July 02, 2010, 02:35:34 PM »
One of my biggest problem is my perception that I am a burden to everyone with whom I interact. It is a feeling that I have with just about everyone and it really hampers me mentally and emotionally. Feeling this way hinders every social relationship I have in some way. I can logically argue with myself that it's true when someone tells me I'm not a burden, I cannot stop feeling like I still am. It has damaged several friendships of mine and is a pervasive problem.

On a regular basis, I don't feel I'm worthy of the time my friends spend on me.
I know how that feels, and it never stops no matter how much you contribute to the relationship, and you'll never try to call someone and hang out because their time is more important than yours... I'm doing that right now actually, ha.

Offline Marvellous G

• I'm not sure on the avatar swearing policy...
« Reply #483 on: July 03, 2010, 06:12:32 AM »
Hmm, great, GCSEs are over and I head to my orthodontist's appointment expecting to be told to keep brushing, braces will be off soon. But no, I probably have a virus in my gums, that the orthodontist referred to with a worrying number of worrying possible names, and have to go up to London for a blood test soon. And now I'm worried. *sigh*

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #484 on: July 03, 2010, 06:22:30 AM »
Longest sentence ever, though I have no advice to offer.
Go read the book Austerlitz by W.G. Sebald and get back to us. It has a sentence that runs for something like twelve pages. Extremely good book too, if you're into history, psychology, architecture, travelling... the list goes on.

@SD: I've never had any especial passion towards any career on the planet, nor did I want to commit myself to a life of academia for the sake of masturbatory scholardom. I've basically drifted into a line of work, and it's working out thus far.

Offline ClairvoyantCat

• DT is no longer Majesty.
« Reply #485 on: July 03, 2010, 01:41:13 PM »
Katy Perry is getting married, and my dreams are shattered  :(

Offline robwebster

« Reply #486 on: July 03, 2010, 01:43:03 PM »
Hahaha. I like Russell Brand even more than Katy Perry.

Katy Perry makes me feel funny in my loins. Russell Brand's all-round hilarious. Brilliant bloke. I'm more gutted that he's buggering off over to the USA than that Katy Perry's snapped up.

Offline ClairvoyantCat

« Reply #487 on: July 03, 2010, 01:52:16 PM »
than that Katy Perry's snapped up.

Ha, thanks for the comfort, I like Russell Brand, but still... she is so hot!

Offline Arcaeus

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #488 on: July 03, 2010, 02:07:58 PM »
I heard she kissed a girl, I wonder if he'll mind it.

Offline ClairvoyantCat

« Reply #489 on: July 03, 2010, 02:13:32 PM »
I heard she kissed a girl, I wonder if he'll mind it.

I wouldn't!  Fuck, she's hot!