Author Topic: The Depressed/Angry Thread.  (Read 252454 times)

Offline Pyroph

Re: The Depressed Thread.
« Reply #35 on: January 30, 2010, 07:12:53 PM »
I have a habit of judging others unfairly and as such find it incredibly difficult to connect with people.

Pretty much this. Going to college and hearing what people talk about, and dealing with stuff like this: https://www.iowastatedaily.com/articles/2010/01/24/news/doc4b5d133d4668f127145726.prt (which I firsthand found) is fucking ironic and sad, considering the education these kids get.

Along with what you're saying, I prefer a much more secluded life so I don't have a facebook. I don't like dealing with all the social crap and I feel that life isn't very private with it.

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #36 on: January 30, 2010, 07:32:23 PM »
I've been suffering with diagnosed anxiety/depression for well over a year now. Not fun, some days are better than others. The best you can do is just try to keep moving forward.

I'd suggest trying to find the root of it.

I know what things triggered it, but since it seems to be more genetic than circumstantial (my mother and sister both have been dealing with depression) I don't think there is too much I can do.

Offline Arcaeus

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #37 on: January 30, 2010, 07:35:58 PM »
I went through 2 years of really hardcore depression. This forum is one of the few things that helped keep me sane. I never wanted to take medication for it, but 3 months ago I started taking Zoloft. I must admit, it is the best decision I ever made.

See, I want to at least try antidepressants, but I don't think they would prescribe me any unless I can prove that I really needed them, and while I do mentally, there's nothing in my life at the moment to really prove that I would :-\

I think my depression could possibly be in part credited to my absolutely ridiculous sleeping schedule... I have no set pattern, sleeping anywhere from 2-16 hours and sometimes getting minor bouts of insomnia and staying up a few days straight at a time. I normally go to bed around 12-3PM :lol I need to fix that... that and the fact every waking hour is spent staring at a screen (although I recently quit the game, one of my characters on World of Warcraft alone was clocked in at 110+ days worth of playing time - meaning I had spent almost a third of 2009 playing that damn game).

I want to get out, be more active and see the world, but there's really been no opportunity for me to do that.

I have a habit of judging others unfairly and as such find it incredibly difficult to connect with people.
Pretty much this. Going to college and hearing what people talk about, and dealing with stuff like this: https://www.iowastatedaily.com/articles/2010/01/24/news/doc4b5d133d4668f127145726.prt (which I firsthand found) is fucking ironic and sad, considering the education these kids get.

Along with what you're saying, I prefer a much more secluded life so I don't have a facebook. I don't like dealing with all the social crap and I feel that life isn't very private with it.

I couldn't even imagine how I would react to college, considering how I felt towards people in just simple high school (and it was a good school. Although people loathed me and [possibly accurately] believed me to be a psychopath, I was only ever in one fight, and, uh... let's just say that I won). I mean, I'm definitely not the most moral and conservative of people (due in part to my apathy and misanthropy), but the average people today are such detached, selfish, disgusting, hypocritical bigots filled with misplaced pride that are just so fucking stupid... and here in California, everyone is made of plastic.

...I'm doing it again :lol sorry, end of bitter spoiled teenaged mountain dew & misanthropy-fueled rant.

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #38 on: January 30, 2010, 07:37:26 PM »
It's easy for me to fall into depression, although anxiety seems to be the major factor in my life, if I don't exercise and keep stress in check.

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #39 on: January 30, 2010, 07:40:56 PM »
I went through 2 years of really hardcore depression. This forum is one of the few things that helped keep me sane. I never wanted to take medication for it, but 3 months ago I started taking Zoloft. I must admit, it is the best decision I ever made.

See, I want to at least try antidepressants, but I don't think they would prescribe me any unless I can prove that I really needed them, and while I do mentally, there's nothing in my life at the moment to really prove that I would :-\

I don't know how true this statement is concerning your situation, but if you told any doctor that you wish death upon yourself, I guarantee you will get meds.

Offline Rina

• DTF.org Member
  • ~
« Reply #40 on: January 30, 2010, 07:42:21 PM »

I don't know how true this statement is concerning your situation, but if you told any doctor that you wish death upon yourself, I guarantee you will get meds.

Even if you check yourself into a hospital explaining that, they should instantly do whatever they can to help, which would include meds.

Offline blackngold29

« Reply #41 on: January 30, 2010, 07:47:20 PM »
I was depressed from about 10th grade through my first year of college. I'm now in my third year and thought it was behind me and I was actually doing pretty well. I didn't date anyone in high school, mostly because I wanted to avoid all that high school dating drama bullshit -- not that I got many offers.

So a few months ago I meet this girl who seemed to take an intrest in me. And finally three weeks ago -- after not sleeping for a week -- I get the balls to ask her out and she said yes... and now she's pretty much ignored my existance since then.

I asked her if I did something wrong, she says no, says it's other stuff in her life, but doesn't really cheer up when we're around one another. So I have no fricking clue what I did. I thought her saying no would be the worst, but at least I would know where she stands then. This is just torture.

Offline Arcaeus

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #42 on: January 30, 2010, 07:49:20 PM »

If I said I wished death upon everyone else would they give me the damn meds or commit me to a mental hospital? :) No, I'm joking, but I'm not suicidal (I used to be, and did take therapy during that time, and while I've gotten better I still feel I need them) and I don't have any murderous intent (except towards the blond women on E! and VH1. No, really, they're not people, they're animals, I'll go fucking Patrick Bateman on their asses).

Eventually I realized how much worse off the other patients at that place were, and thought to myself that I had no right to be there, since my life, admittedly, does not suck. Eventually I stopped going; but it's not a situational thing regarding events in my life, it's a mental thing I can't help, and it's becoming worse with each day I'm stuck with these thoughts. I regret not taking the meds now. Meh...

Online ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #43 on: January 30, 2010, 07:53:06 PM »
I've been depressed horribly since dec 26th of 2009.

Talk. Explain.

Broke up with my fiance, the only woman I've ever loved.

I'm very sorry to hear this, I remember reading a little about it in the Lonely Hearts thread

One of my greatest strengths is that I'm very optimistic and I'm very good at keeping my head up while under  a lot of pressure. I was once homeless for a month which was completely my fault for being absolutely stupid (didn't want to stress my parents either especially my mom who already works very hard)and I was as happy as I could be because I knew I could pull through and I did.

Funny enough I read this thread and this past month has been the hardest I've ever had in my life, I'm plagued by stresses of graduating from school and work but what really has me down is my ex. To make it short, I was together with a girl for a few years, bought a ring and she broke it off and we didn't speak for about 4 months. She has recently shown up back in my life and we had a lot of discussions about our past. I at one point, realized all my drive and motivation had been misplaced and cost my personal relationships with everyone, and I mean everyone. Now I'm trying to rebuild but for the first time in my life I can't just move on and accept it, it's like a constant body ache that won't go away.

Online ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #44 on: January 30, 2010, 07:53:27 PM »

Even if you check yourself into a hospital explaining that, they should instantly do whatever they can to help, which would include meds.

I would think this

Offline Dark Master Of Sin

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #45 on: January 30, 2010, 07:53:36 PM »
I was depressed from about 10th grade through my first year of college. I'm now in my third year and thought it was behind me and I was actually doing pretty well. I didn't date anyone in high school, mostly because I wanted to avoid all that high school dating drama bullshit -- not that I got many offers.

So a few months ago I meet this girl who seemed to take an intrest in me. And finally three weeks ago -- after not sleeping for a week -- I get the balls to ask her out and she said yes... and now she's pretty much ignored my existance since then.

I asked her if I did something wrong, she says no, says it's other stuff in her life, but doesn't really cheer up when we're around one another. So I have no fricking clue what I did. I thought her saying no would be the worst, but at least I would know where she stands then. This is just torture.
Are you still going out with her?
gone

Offline blackngold29

« Reply #46 on: January 30, 2010, 07:55:53 PM »

I don't really know. She said she would go to a movie, I just had to give her a day. I've asked her a few times and she's always busy. It doesn't even have to be a "date" I just like spending time with her.

Offline Hyperplex

• Evelator
  • EZBoard Elder
  • So often fragile power turns to scorn and ridicule
« Reply #47 on: January 30, 2010, 07:56:30 PM »
And by the way it's not that creative people are more prone to disorders, it's usually that artistic people are more emotional than non. And too much emotion is called a disorder.....which I disagree with, but oh well.

That is not at all what I meant or was trying to say. It has been shown that people who suffer from depression also happen to be deeper thinkers, potentially more creative and possibly more ingenious. This is hypothesized to be due to the different ways the brain functions based on neurotransmitter levels as well as through emotional responses.

It under no circumstances deems emotion a disorder or that creatives are more prone to disorders. It simply means the mental facets that are in place in a depressed person's brain can often coexist, and in some cases nurture, a more creative or deep mind.

Emotion is not the disorder; distorted emotion is. Emotional people are not necessarily depressed and depressed people are not necessarily more emotional. Many depressive people are rather subdued in outward displays of emotion and internalize much of what they are feeling. One does not need to be a "drama queen/king" to suffer from depression.

In the words of a therapist I saw when I was in college: "Many who call attention to their 'depression' are in fact merely sad. Don't make the mistake of thinking you're simply sad and then getting mad that things don't change."

He told me that I had to talk to people more and avoid bottling my thoughts inside my mind; if I continued internalizing I was going to overburden myself which would ultimately lead to self-destruction and, even more worrisome to me, hurting those I care about.

......I really get off on tangents and babble in this thread, don't I?
"My melancholy wants to rest in the hiding places and abysses of perfection. This is why I need music." –Friedrich Nietzsche

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #48 on: January 30, 2010, 07:56:57 PM »

I would think this
You would get standard Psychward treatment, suicide watch for 75 hours, meds, etc etc.
gone

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #49 on: January 30, 2010, 07:59:22 PM »

I don't really know. She said she would go to a movie, I just had to give her a day. I've asked her a few times and she's always busy. It doesn't even have to be a "date" I just like spending time with her.
I hate when you love someone who just wants to ignore you. If you want some simple advice, dump her, and move on. Unless she starts to ship up, get her out of your life. It's the best thing you can do.
gone

Offline Arcaeus

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #50 on: January 30, 2010, 08:00:40 PM »
Yeah, no thanks. I don't want to create any unnecessary problems in my life.

and I quite enjoy your babbling, Hyperplex :tup

haha, even though I'm making myself sound like a pathetic idiot, I kinda feel better posting in this thread

Offline Hyperplex

• Evelator
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #51 on: January 30, 2010, 08:04:03 PM »
There are two empirical things (read: not family, relationships or "intangibles" that occur in life) that have helped my depression: therapy and medication.

Doctors nowadays are incredibly keen on throwing prescriptions at problems, especially mental ones. Personally, I feel antidepressant medication is a huge boon for treatment, but only if the patient needs it. There are limitations to what medicine can do. If one's depression is chemical in nature, then medication can help. A chemical imbalance, most commonly a deficiency of seratonin in synapses, has no bearing on environmental factors, so saying "there isn't anything in my life right now that makes medication worthwhile" is an inherently false assumption. There wasn't much in my life that would "deem depression acceptable" when I suffered from it the worst, but I still had an imbalance that hurt me greatly. Even as I say that, taking medication as a panacea for all your hurts is also a false belief. One may not have an imbalance, or you may be like I am: needing medication but also truly needing a guiding hand in how to deal with emotional responses.

I went to therapy as a way of learning to express myself and my emotions. The biggest thing I got out of all of it was being able to articulate to those I care about how I feel, so I didn't ruin the relationships that meant the most to me. Do I still suffer? Absolutely. Do I still overreact and get horrifically depressed, sometimes over the smallest and stupidest things? Yes. But I'm better than I used to be.

All that is to say just because your environment isn't depressing, it doesn't mean you can't be depressed, and of course, vice versa.
"My melancholy wants to rest in the hiding places and abysses of perfection. This is why I need music." –Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline blackngold29

« Reply #52 on: January 30, 2010, 08:05:39 PM »

I hate when you love someone who just wants to ignore you. If you want some simple advice, dump her, and move on. Unless she starts to ship up, get her out of your life. It's the best thing you can do.
I know that's what I should do, but it's so hard when I care about her as much as I do. It kills me becasue I feel like I'm making her sad and I'd stop asking in a second if she just told me to... but she hasn't, so that still kind of gives me some hope. We work together, so we're kind of forced to talk.

Offline Arcaeus

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #53 on: January 30, 2010, 08:08:32 PM »
If one's depression is chemical in nature, then medication can help. A chemical imbalance, most commonly a deficiency of seratonin in synapses, has no bearing on environmental factors, so saying "there isn't anything in my life right now that makes medication worthwhile" is an inherently false assumption.

All that is to say just because your environment isn't depressing, it doesn't mean you can't be depressed, and of course, vice versa.

Yeah... when I was taking therapy, they did indeed tell me I had a chemical imbalance. I chose to ignore it, I guess. I was afraid it would have too much of an effect on my creativity. But I have none of that anymore anyways...

Offline Hyperplex

• Evelator
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #54 on: January 30, 2010, 08:12:56 PM »
The medicine affects different people in different ways. For me, it simply makes my head a little clearer so I am able to control my emotions better than I otherwise could. It doesn't heal me or cloud me.

I've known some people who feel the medicine changes who they are or numbs them. Many of them would prefer to hurt than to feel nothing at all. It's inherently personal.

Offline Arcaeus

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #55 on: January 30, 2010, 08:16:50 PM »
My mind is cloudy as it is, and while I'm not expecting it to heal me it would be nice if my head was a bit clearer and my more strong (negative) emotions under control. I'm just afraid it may make things worse... but my life's been without change for the past three years since I dropped out, so it's a risk I think I should take.

I may be going back to school soon... and if I do so, I'll get myself a haircut, some meds, and try to make things right. :)

Offline blackngold29

« Reply #56 on: January 30, 2010, 08:17:10 PM »
I never took meds. Not sure what I thought they would do to me.

Serj Tankian comes to mind:
Anti-depressants
Controlling tools of your system
Making life more tolerable

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #57 on: January 30, 2010, 08:18:25 PM »

I know that's what I should do, but it's so hard when I care about her as much as I do. It kills me becasue I feel like I'm making her sad and I'd stop asking in a second if she just told me to... but she hasn't, so that still kind of gives me some hope. We work together, so we're kind of forced to talk.
When was the last time you had an extremely deep conversation?
gone

Offline Hyperplex

• Evelator
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #58 on: January 30, 2010, 08:19:56 PM »
It's a worthwhile shot, even if you try them, hate them and stop them. An avenue of potential help is better than nothing at all. At the very worst, they don't work and you're no worse off.

I think I've revealed more in this thread in a few hours than in a long time posting here. I'm not usually this open.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #59 on: January 30, 2010, 08:20:26 PM »
You know what's depressing?  Tongue depressers.  Man, they really depress...

sorry, I was trying to put a smile on all your faces.  I'm not depressed, but I think most of you have the same problem.  You see yourselves like  :|, but in reality you are all :2metal: , and have a hard time reconciling that fact because the world is full of :neverusethis: who don't realize you are :2metal:

Wish I could offer more than moral support - but just know that you can and will get over it.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #60 on: January 30, 2010, 08:22:45 PM »
I've never taken legal antidepresent drugs.
gone

Offline Arcaeus

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #61 on: January 30, 2010, 08:23:14 PM »
It's a worthwhile shot, even if you try them, hate them and stop them. An avenue of potential help is better than nothing at all. At the very worst, they don't work and you're no worse off.

I think I've revealed more in this thread in a few hours than in a long time posting here. I'm not usually this open.

Likewise, but you've had very helpful things to share :tup Thank you.

and, uh... hm... very... insightful, dreamtheatervt :) Thank you too

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #62 on: January 30, 2010, 08:23:19 PM »
My problem was that people expected me to be all  :metal, but in reality I'm really all  :hat. It makes me want to  :facepalm:, resulting in  :sadpanda:

Offline blackngold29

« Reply #63 on: January 30, 2010, 08:26:31 PM »

I spent about four hours with her the night I asked her, she was fine then. She said yes, we hugged each good bye and she hasn't said much since. We've talked a few times since then, but only breifly when we were alone and she kept insisting that I hadn't done anything wrong. Her actions are speaking louder though. I'm gonna try a few more times to get her to talk, maybe it really is the other stuff she's worried about; which is part of the reason I want to take her out and get her mind off stuff. I just don't want to frak it up so bad that we can't go back to being friends.

Offline Hyperplex

• Evelator
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #64 on: January 30, 2010, 08:26:48 PM »
...And the thread deteriorates into a sticky mix of emoticons and syrupy discharge...saved at the last second.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #65 on: January 30, 2010, 08:36:08 PM »

I spent about four hours with her the night I asked her, she was fine then. She said yes, we hugged each good bye and she hasn't said much since. We've talked a few times since then, but only breifly when we were alone and she kept insisting that I hadn't done anything wrong. Her actions are speaking louder though. I'm gonna try a few more times to get her to talk, maybe it really is the other stuff she's worried about; which is part of the reason I want to take her out and get her mind off stuff. I just don't want to frak it up so bad that we can't go back to being friends.
My last girlfriend was very closed off emotionally, she didn't like to talk, she didn't like to vent, she didn't like to tell me stuff. I'm the opposite, I HAVE to tell people stuff, and I NEED to know what is going on in there life. So, if you're like me, her being that closed off is killing you on the inside. Try to get her opened up, and if she can't be, then the relationship is going nowhere, and should be ended, before you hurt yourself more.
gone

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #66 on: January 30, 2010, 08:38:16 PM »
I too suffer from depression, for a looong time.  What I notice is that people have a misconception about the symptoms.  In my case, there is little desire to strive for the joyful things in life, and it is that constant state of mind that creates a persona that I reflect to the world.  It's not that I don't want to feel the joys of life,  I just have a constant view of myself that I'm not deserving of them, and it is this that propagates itself over all aspects of my personality, whether it be with family, friends, work, or matters of the heart.
I have been working on it for the better part of twenty years now, and especially the last sixteen since my daughter was born, if only for her benefit.  But it is hard to convince yourself that you are a good person worthy of love and attention when for your whole life, deep down inside, you never actually believed it.  I have gotten a lot better, but know that I still have a long way to go.
I should note that this forum has helped me tremendously in being able to honestly express my thoughts, opinions, and beliefs freely as I feel them in my mind and heart, and I feel it is a tremendous credit to all of you, the DTF, that you have accepted them openly, freely, and without prejudice.  For that, I sincerely thank you.
"I'm a worthless piece of shit" depression. That's the worst. Mine mostly stems from an alcoholic father and being bullied. I've been conditioned to believe I'm nothing. Can you think of what started yours? Or is it just completely there for a reason you don't quite understand?
I know exactly where mine comes from.  It is a matter a little too personal for this place, but I do have a support circle for it.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #67 on: January 30, 2010, 08:39:40 PM »
Well, there is no one cure-all for depression, and for the most part people have given the best advice there is - see a professional.  You'd be amazed at what you can accomplish meeting with someone once a week.  As for my previous post, I just believe a chuckle every once in a while is needed - and I was subtlely telling you all that you are cool the way you are  :tup

And blackngold29, I know what you mean about dating someone closed off emotionally.  You're right, if they can't open up and you''re an open person, its going to eat you alive.

And Lonestar, you > :godisgood: , and that's sayin' something.

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #68 on: January 30, 2010, 08:40:02 PM »
There is one thing that is a universal cure for depression....

BACON!

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #69 on: January 30, 2010, 08:41:12 PM »
Please guys, don't derail this thread...
gone