Author Topic: The Depressed/Angry Thread.  (Read 252516 times)

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
Re: The Depressed/Angry Thread.
« Reply #1855 on: January 25, 2018, 10:14:05 AM »
Oh man, thanks for reminding me!

So the disciplinary meeting went just fine. The people involved were very supportive and nice and were basically rolling their eyes at the charges in general.

A month later I was officially cleared of all charges, passed the class and it was all dropped.

I wasn't done however. So I was one of like 10 people accused of something, and one of the few who got off. So myself and a bunch of other people formally submitted grievances about the teacher at hand.

This resulted in multiple phone calls/meetings with high ups at the school.

That teacher no longer works for the school.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1856 on: January 25, 2018, 10:18:23 AM »
Oh man, thanks for reminding me!

So the disciplinary meeting went just fine. The people involved were very supportive and nice and were basically rolling their eyes at the charges in general.

A month later I was officially cleared of all charges, passed the class and it was all dropped.

I wasn't done however. So I was one of like 10 people accused of something, and one of the few who got off. So myself and a bunch of other people formally submitted grievances about the teacher at hand.

This resulted in multiple phone calls/meetings with high ups at the school.

That teacher no longer works for the school.

When I went to WCSU, I had a professor for Microeconomics who may have been the worst professor I have ever had. It was his first year teaching, and the dude was straight off a boat from Nigeria. You could understand about every 8th word he said.

Anyway, 35 people started the class. I was one of 7 who stuck around to take the final. All 7 of us who took the final failed the class. A couple of us made quite a stink over it. We got refunded for the class and the guy got put on academic probation. He was gone the following semester.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1857 on: January 25, 2018, 10:28:24 AM »
Had a similar situation at UConn.   I switched into Engineering after my first two years, and so had to take a ton of prerequisite classes, sometimes concurrently or out of order, with the help of a sympathetic adviser.   One class - Mechanics of Materials - was a first year class, but I didn't get to take it until Spring of my fourth year (I took five years to graduate).   Now, in my last four semesters I literally got all A's, except for one D, in that class.  Among other things, he claimed I didn't turn in any homework.  I went in to talk with him, and he said that, so I produced ALL the homework, WITH HIS GRADE ON TOP.   He said "you could have produced that after the fact".  I'm like, you just told me you had no homework grades, and standing right in front of you I pulled them out?  What am I, Doug fucking Henning (this was 1989)?   

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1858 on: January 25, 2018, 11:11:11 PM »
Hi....I’m the guy who has never vented on DTF before. 

3 years ago, a wonderful mother of 3 from my congregation (and a friend in music...one of the few I had) was out on a motorcycle excursion with her family in Northern California.   A logging truck spilled.  Her husband (also my friend) broke his spine.  The two sons were out in front and missed everything.   She was killed instantly. 

A year and a half ago, an older friend of mine succomed to cancer.....one year later, his son who was only 35 (and a close friend of my son) also died of cancer. 

In March of 2017 my mother in law (who my wife and I had been taking care of in our home for 12 years) died at the age of 92.

2 months ago, a dear friend that I was once very close to, but had lost touch with, died of a heart attack.  (Don’t wait to tell someone how much they mean to you).

1 week later, my brothers best friend died of liver failure.   I had 2 funerals in two weeks.....3 in one month. 

And just to put the cherry on top....the holidays are particularly hard on people.    My company has had 3 suicides in the last month.  One I knew personally (though not for very long)...a second one I had no contact with at all.   The third was only 27 years old, and an apprentice of a close friend.  What’s even worse was that this kid called him to say “I’m setting my house on fire, please come pick up my pet snake”, then hung up.   My friend didn’t get there fast enough.   The kid committed “suicide by cop” because he decided to come out with all guns blazing when the cops showed up to respond to the fire.    Think what you want about the kid...but he left people behind who will never be the same...especially my friend.   

And just being surrounded by death (on top of being the full time cargiver to my wife who is disabled both physically and mentally (bipolar)) had put me in a pretty deep state of funk.   

I am seeing a therapist next week.   My regular therapist moved out of my area...and actually told me before she left that she didnt think I needed therapy at all.....but that was before ALL OF THIS happened.   

Can I be done with death for a little while please????
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #1859 on: March 16, 2018, 09:27:26 PM »
Hey guys.  Apologies for the bump.  I'm not really one to open up at all in an online forum, but here goes.

I think I am feeling depression for whatever reason, and I do think it's starting to affect the way I interact with people at work (and I'm introverted as it is).  I think my co-workers are getting annoyed about how I speak to them and the way I approach certain things that goes with the job (nothing unethical or immoral, but they see it as a redundancy that's not needed like asking a lot of questions and being relatively noisy of what they did to approach certain scenarios).  The fact that I know this sort of observation is happening, and it is not the way I wanted my work relationships to be, is making me feel worst.

I honestly do not have the right approach on how to resolve this issue that's happening with me and it's making me feel like I don't want to do anything at all.  Where do I begin?
« Last Edit: March 16, 2018, 09:32:49 PM by Anguyen92 »

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1860 on: March 17, 2018, 07:20:20 AM »
I honestly do not have the right approach on how to resolve this issue that's happening with me and it's making me feel like I don't want to do anything at all.  Where do I begin?

That's certainly a symptom of depression.  If this behaviour at work is new for you, my suggestion would be to not necessarily focus on addressing that behaviour specifically, but rather the deeper issue of depression (assuming this is what you have).  Do some research into depression to see if it really might be that, vs just one specific issue swirling around in your mind at the moment.  Personally, I used themighty.com and sicknotweak.com.  Beyond that, do things that you love to do - whatever that might be.  Force yourself to do it - nothing is worse than living inside a depressed mind - our own voices can be the worst and most damaging sometimes.

And remember, there's a difference between depression and being sad/worried/upset/in a funk/etc...
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #1861 on: June 05, 2018, 03:34:29 PM »
So...

I learned some family info that is really throwing me for an emotional roller coaster. I don't plan on sharing it publicly... but I am also not sure how I want to go about handling it.

Ever feel so completely betrayed that you become sick to your stomach?

Yea.

I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #1862 on: June 05, 2018, 06:55:38 PM »
So...

I learned some family info that is really throwing me for an emotional roller coaster. I don't plan on sharing it publicly... but I am also not sure how I want to go about handling it.

Ever feel so completely betrayed that you become sick to your stomach?

Yea.

Yes. Definitely.

When me and my uncle had a falling out, he went to my grandmother and said I hated her and hated living with her. (I was happily living with her at the time and I had no where else to go)

So he lied to hurt me. and if this would have been escalated, then I would have been homeless.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1863 on: October 15, 2018, 01:20:33 PM »
I'm more angry at myself over this for being clumpsy and not paying attention enough.

Last monday at 7:45 pm I tripped on a manhole cover and fell down like a tree into the asphalt. I tried to regain my balance with my feet but I think instead I build up momentum so I had more energy when I fell down making it a much harder impact. I managed to protect my head with my right hand which broke my pinky finger. My right knee also tried to stop the fall with the result of a broken kneecap in 4 pieces.

I've never called 112 (911), never broken any bone in my body or any serious injury, never ride in a ambulance, never had a surgery, never been anesthetized and never been immobilized so I had to use a wheelchair.
All those things happened within 1 week.

SOB!

Long story short: I went through all of that and now i'm home feeling like a 90 yo with a 36 yo body. Hell my 90 yo father is more mobile than me. Taking a shower went from 5 mins to ruffly an hour.

I'm mad at myself for being so clumpsy yet everthing happened so quickly.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1864 on: October 15, 2018, 03:40:03 PM »
Mother fucker... that's a helluva fall.  I'm cringing just thinking about it.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1865 on: October 15, 2018, 03:46:07 PM »
Damn thats rough, hope you have a speedy recovery

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1866 on: October 15, 2018, 06:32:20 PM »
Mother fucker... that's a helluva fall.  I'm cringing just thinking about it.
The way I figured out something was seriously wrong with my leg was when a bystander tried to help me up and when I put some weight on my right leg it bent to the RIGHT...now that's not right.  :D What's even weirder, it never really hurt that much.

Damn thats rough, hope you have a speedy recovery
Thanks, despite all this I still never felt any strong pain not until after the surgery that's when I started to feel pain in my knee but that also fade away after two days.
After 7 weeks they will take of the support I have on my leg to keep it straight and then some rehab so according to the doctor I will be back in action in december depending on how the healing process is going.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1867 on: October 31, 2018, 06:26:57 AM »
I finally got free from my cast on my right arm. So nice to be able to move my fingers even though my fingers are very stiff, have to say just by trying to move my fingers after 30mins it already felt much better.  :)

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1868 on: April 12, 2019, 11:40:04 AM »
Bump

Been kind of down this last few weeks. Car is pretty much not driveable... it's got some major issues plus I finally got a ticket for my obliterated tail light, which I am trying to fix tomorrow (my car probably wont pass an inspection for the cheap $25 fix it ticket, so I still will have to take the fine with payments and hope I don't run into an asshole cop who wants to find something else wrong with it).

My GF is on a week long trip with her dad (all paid for by her grandparents essentially). I haven't had a true vacation (minus a 3 day weekend) since 2013, and don't foresee one anytime soon.

I am supposed to be going to physical therapy for my wrist / nerve issues, seeing my doctor for other issues, and seeing a shrink for mental health shit, but I stopped going to physical therapy due to not having a fucking car to drive out 2 cities away 2x a week (totally ignoring the costs atm), and same thing for the other doctor shit. I have my GF's car, but that won't be any help next week when she gets back. Her schedule is so crazy when she is actually here that I really can't use her car for anything.

I am sick of getting treated like a second class citizen at work. I know... people just say "Oh find another job." It's not that simple. Plus, at the rate things are going, my company may very well lose this account in the next few months. I almost hope it happens so I am forced to find new employment.

The job thing also kind of goes hand in hand with the fact that we are supposed to be moving in 2 months. Where? No clue. If it wasn't for my job we'd move out of state. As it stands, it would be really irresponsible for me to quit a stable, full time job and walk away.

My mother, who moved up north, came down to stay with me while my GF is gone to watch after the dogs (our smaller dog doesn't do well alone, especially for 9-10 hours a day). She was supposed to help me get another beater car while she was down here, but financially it looks like it isn't happening now.

I don't know. I need to vent. Shit's starting to get to me again.
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #1869 on: April 12, 2019, 04:13:17 PM »
I have a question.  Is it possible to be depressed and not even realize it?
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1870 on: April 12, 2019, 08:17:37 PM »
Damn Jay it sounds like it's not just raining but pouring. I hope some things start looking up soon! If you were to leave your job do you have any idea what you'd want to do, would you try and stick to the same type of work you're doing now?

Offline Adami

« Reply #1871 on: April 12, 2019, 08:29:26 PM »

Yes.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1872 on: April 13, 2019, 05:41:20 AM »
Jay, that's rough to hear. Really wish some of us were close, so we could do more than just type some words on a screen that we hope don't sound meaningless.

Plus, at the rate things are going, my company may very well lose this account in the next few months. I almost hope it happens so I am forced to find new employment.

I've been there. You're most likely right - los No the account - and your job - just might be for the best. Terrible work situations can be a huge contributor to depression - I know that first hand.

:brohug:

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1873 on: April 15, 2019, 09:10:23 AM »
Damn Jay it sounds like it's not just raining but pouring. I hope some things start looking up soon! If you were to leave your job do you have any idea what you'd want to do, would you try and stick to the same type of work you're doing now?

I really don't know. I'd love to get out of security, and I hope that the 5 or 6 years experience I have in management here (one way or another) can help me, but that really is all I have going for me. No degrees or anything. I do have a good friend who manages the southern branch of a security company comparable to the one I currently work for, who is actually gunning for our account. I doubt that he'll get it,  as I know their bid isn't going to be cheap, but if they do, I will continue on here, and probably make a tad more money. If that doesn't happen, his company is also working on a very lucrative contract (with a local government agency) , and if that pulls through, he might bring me on as part of the management team (I'd be helping oversee like 90 people).

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Ruba

« Reply #1874 on: May 30, 2019, 08:04:43 AM »
I have to admit it. I have a drinking problem.

(sidenote: Airplane! is one of the greatest movies ever)

But in all seriousness. I don't think it's that severe that it should to go to the addiction thread and it's more of a symptom of my other mental health issues, but it's starting to spill over these forums a bit. I don't go on benders, I always feel too sick and/or tired the following day to even wanting to drink the next day and I never get drunk if I have something important to do tomorrow. But when I do drink, I really do drink. Often too much. I don't think I even enjoy it that much anymore, I just want to get wasted every now and then (I know I can't drown my demons though, the bastards know how to swim...).

Anyway. I'll promise to stop drunk posting. I always feel like an ass afterwards. From now on I log out if I've had more than two beers. I'm sober at least five days a week so it's not like I cease posting altogether.  :lol

Offline TempusVox

• Descendant of Primus
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1875 on: May 30, 2019, 10:58:05 AM »
As much as I advocate for the use of medical marijuana, we will not tolerate posting seed sale websites here. So, back to your regularly scheduled program.
You don't HAVE a soul.You ARE a soul.You HAVE a body.
"I came here to drink milk and kick ass; and I just finished my milk."

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1876 on: May 30, 2019, 12:06:42 PM »
As much as I advocate for the use of medical marijuana, we will not tolerate posting seed sale websites here. So, back to your regularly scheduled program.

Thought it was kinda weird to see that as post #1 from a new user.  Perhaps a 'bot'?

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1877 on: May 30, 2019, 12:37:59 PM »
Anyway. I'll promise to stop drunk posting. I always feel like an ass afterwards. From now on I log out if I've had more than two beers. I'm sober at least five days a week so it's not like I cease posting altogether.  :lol

Do you have a habit of saying things you regret when posting drunk?  I've certainly posted here drunk many times but usually I don't think I say things I regret, if so then yea it's a good idea to maybe back off. 

As for the depressed/angry thread, well if you read what I wrote in the lonely hearts thread than I kind of belong here too.  For me though, to help recover with how I am feeling, I am not resorting to booze.  That doesn't help anything, and that's not meaning I'm not drinking (I drank quite a bit last weekend at the two concerts I went to) but I'm not drinking after work when I am feeling bored and lonely and depressed and angry.  I am not letting myself resort to that, instead I am riding my exercise bike and then taking my anger out in video games or by listening / dancing to some heavy music. 

As for medical marijuana, I am participating in that as well, but I am not finding that to help me right now.  Maybe it helps take my mind off it for a bit, but it's not fixing my issues in any way (I don't expect it too either, but I am finding that this is helping much less than I had hoped) but it just comes down to no drug is going to fix the depression I am feeling and only myself and my own will power to overcome will help and that's what i need to and continue to do.

I ate a salad for lunch today, that's practically an unheard statement from me

Offline Ruba

« Reply #1878 on: May 30, 2019, 01:22:56 PM »

Do you have a habit of saying things you regret when posting drunk?  I've certainly posted here drunk many times but usually I don't think I say things I regret, if so then yea it's a good idea to maybe back off.

Well, yeah. I know I'm a very neurotic person and tend to blow things out of proportion in my head (I even had a dream once where bosk gave me an ultimatum that I'll be banned if I don't stop posting drunk  :lol), so while I hopefully haven't posted anything completely stupid or offensive I still think it's best I'll stay out while drunk. I'd probably need an alcolock for internet (except for YouTube, I like watching music videos while drinking  :biggrin:).

As for the depressed/angry thread, well if you read what I wrote in the lonely hearts thread than I kind of belong here too.  For me though, to help recover with how I am feeling, I am not resorting to booze.  That doesn't help anything, and that's not meaning I'm not drinking (I drank quite a bit last weekend at the two concerts I went to) but I'm not drinking after work when I am feeling bored and lonely and depressed and angry.  I am not letting myself resort to that, instead I am riding my exercise bike and then taking my anger out in video games or by listening / dancing to some heavy music.

Yeah I do read the Lonely Hearts thread and I feel for you man. Also it's great you have more productive ways dealing with negative emotions than getting pissed.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1879 on: May 30, 2019, 02:48:13 PM »
Also it's great you have more productive ways dealing with negative emotions than getting pissed.

Well, I think we all do, we just need to focus on that.  It's really difficult, but I know, I am not going to feel any better if I resort to destructive behavior and as long as I know and keep telling myself that, it makes it a bit easier to say "no booze, hit the bike" And that's not to say I am not getting pissed or having negative feelings too, I think time will help there. 

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #1880 on: April 12, 2020, 09:00:52 PM »
Hey guys. Sorry for the thread bump but I need somewhere to talk about this. I’ve been having a really rough time these past few months. I know a lot of people have with this pandemic, but my depression and anxiety have started to spiral out of control again. I’ve let them influence my work and most importantly they’ve played a role in my current relationship with the love of my life. I’m having constant nightmares. I wake up sweating and shaking almost every morning and going a day without having a panic attack and/or breaking down crying has become rare. I’m losing control and I’m really scared.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1881 on: April 12, 2020, 09:14:47 PM »

Yes.

I will defer to the professional for the accurate answer, but I will say anecdotally I was unaware of how I felt for years. At some point I thought "Hey, I feel really bad, and maybe this isn't how someone isn't supposed to feel (especially when that person has a job, a home, and isn't struggling with life-altering events)." Once I saw a Dr and got an Rx, and started feeling better, I couldn't believe how long I had lived feeling miserable.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #1882 on: April 13, 2020, 05:58:22 AM »
Yeah, you're not alone.  Illinois has set up a hotline for people with the same feelings.  Maybe your state has something similar?  If not, you can always contact a professional on your own for an appointment.  Or, if your job has a hotline as part of your employee benefit package (mine has a personal help hotline - they can help with ANYTHING, from assistance in finding lost luggage to helping you find a medical professional for you.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #1883 on: April 13, 2020, 06:05:32 AM »
Hey guys. Sorry for the thread bump but I need somewhere to talk about this. I’ve been having a really rough time these past few months. I know a lot of people have with this pandemic, but my depression and anxiety have started to spiral out of control again. I’ve let them influence my work and most importantly they’ve played a role in my current relationship with the love of my life. I’m having constant nightmares. I wake up sweating and shaking almost every morning and going a day without having a panic attack and/or breaking down crying has become rare. I’m losing control and I’m really scared.

I haven't had to deal with the depression aspect, but the anxiety I've had issues with. Its not for everyone, but I've been using CBD and it has really calmed things down anxiety wise.

Its legal to buy in a store and can't get you high. It just calms things down, so just throwing that out there.

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1884 on: April 13, 2020, 06:08:54 PM »
+1 for CBD. It's not the "miracle cure" for everything like some folks advertise it as, but it's great to help take the anxiety down a notch. Start at a lower dose, see how it feels, then bump it up as needed.

Be warned, it can make you sleepy if you take a enough. Not like Nyquil sleepy, but "sitting on the couch relaxed and drifting off" sleepy.

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1885 on: January 27, 2021, 09:58:54 PM »
Well this sucks.

Seeing a new PCP who really took interest in my mental health, especially after explaining to him some of my issues over the last decade, and mentioned that I've looked for help before and have become overwhelmed. So he decided to refer me to their in house psychologist for evaluation, and then work with her on a plan for me.

I was supposed to see her today.

I received a call from their office on Monday. Apparently due to BS insurance reasons, she's no longer accepted by my insurance, and they basically gave me a list of like 60 therapists / psychologists in southern California and said "good luck".

The whole reason I haven't seen someone the fact that it is overwhelming to sort through everything. So I am back to square one.

My cousin, who is a Therapist around here, gave me a few recommendations of people she doesn't know personally but has heard good things about, but I am going to hold off and see what my doctor says when I have a follow up... at some point in the near future.

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1886 on: January 27, 2021, 10:37:55 PM »
The whole reason I haven't seen someone the fact that it is overwhelming to sort through everything. So I am back to square one.

"sort through everything" meaning insurance, or evaluating potential service providers? If the former, my condolences. If the latter, I guess you just gotta start somewhere. Last year I just did a little research on providers in my area and just picked one (after confirming they accepted my insurance!!!!) Was she the best for me? I don't know. But I wasn't going to find that out without meeting her. You may not find the perfect match, but that shouldn't keep you from finding a really good one.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1887 on: January 28, 2021, 08:36:52 AM »

"sort through everything" meaning insurance, or evaluating potential service providers? If the former, my condolences. If the latter, I guess you just gotta start somewhere. Last year I just did a little research on providers in my area and just picked one (after confirming they accepted my insurance!!!!) Was she the best for me? I don't know. But I wasn't going to find that out without meeting her. You may not find the perfect match, but that shouldn't keep you from finding a really good one.

We have one or two therapists here that can weigh in, but a therapist isn't like a dry cleaner.  I've been seeing mine for about 6 years now, and when I met her, I actually had one session with three that I identified (including her) and settled on her after.   It's like an interview of sorts.  I caution against just picking someone who's going to tell you want you want to hear, but you need to feel comfortable, and you need to TRUST.  If you can't dig deep - or at least get to the point of digging deep - what's the point? This isn't an ego-building exercise.  And that trust doesn't happen magically by picking a name out of a phone book.   All therapists aren't created equal; I remember seeing a guy when I was in Philly (he actually appeared on an episode of Bar Rescue, as Jon Tapper called him an "old friend" and recommended that one of his bar owners sit and talk with him) for about five or six sessions and every session I'd come out madder and more frustrated than before.  It was achieving the exact opposite effect!   

Offline Adami

« Reply #1888 on: January 28, 2021, 10:35:15 AM »
If you have any questions about finding a therapist, ask away. Otherwise, you’ll be ready when you’re ready.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1889 on: January 28, 2021, 10:25:11 PM »
I reached out to the ones my cousin suggested, who looked to take my insurance. One of them got back to me pretty quickly and told me they weren't taking new patients. Still waiting to hear back from the other.

Both. Navigating my insurance company's shitty list of people whom I can go see, and then actually finding one that's local. The list includes a lot of non local peeps who work strictly with just video calls. I want someone who I can eventually see in person. Then whittling it down to people whom I may be comfortable with. I have a strong feeling that my PCP may recommend I go see the one Psychiatrist in their system (who also is in my network... but their in house psychologist isn't... go figure) but I have heard stories about that dude being a complete prick... friend used to see him and the dude apparently spent a large amount of time shit talking "Liberals and Vegans". I'd rather not see anyone than see that dude.

If you have any questions about finding a therapist, ask away. Otherwise, you’ll be ready when you’re ready.

Thanks man. I was using Psychology Today to search, which is fantastic, but their search results when searching  based on insurance are completely different than my insurance's website. As much as my insurance's website sucks, I figure it would be more accurate.

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"