Author Topic: The Depressed/Angry Thread.  (Read 255283 times)

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
Re: The Depressed/Angry Thread.
« Reply #1540 on: January 07, 2013, 08:42:15 AM »
Thank you Faye, that helped me a lot. :tup

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #1541 on: January 07, 2013, 12:07:59 PM »
I'm going to echo what Faye said.  I moved to the middle of nowhere, far from everyone I ever knew for grad school first, and more recently a job.  I've known my best friend since I was 5 in 1984.  We haven't lived in the same town since 1997 save for a brief period of time in 2003 when I was waiting to start grad school.  I only see my closest friends once a year, twice if I'm lucky.  It's always a great time, and with facebook and all the other goofy things modern technology allows, we never truely have to lose touch.  That said, I highly advise against doing what I did unless they throw large piles of money at you.

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #1542 on: January 07, 2013, 07:20:29 PM »
Amen to all of that. I was just having the same discussion with one of my best friends in NJ (a mutual friend of the person we just lost)... our connections really do transcend space/time. We concluded that we are magic :)
Oh Jackie, always jumping to the most homoerotic possibility.

Offline DebraKadabra

• Witch Goddess of Lankershim Boulevard
  • DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #1543 on: January 07, 2013, 07:26:26 PM »
Interesting, I find that the best friendships withstand physical separation and time delays in between hanging out/speaking. The true friends are the ones where you can not see them or hear from them for a few months and then you catch up like nothing happened. I'd recommend making as many friends as possible, some friendships will grow and deepen and some will stay at a more superficial level, but the more friends you have, the less likely you're gonna be focused on the one that moves away, waiting to hear from them etc. You need to get/keep busy with your own life so that when you hear from them you're happy, but you're not stressing over it. Plus if it ever comes across as neediness, well that's offputting to a lot of people.

Also, I tend to try and be thankful for the time I spent with someone even if I don't stay close to them... easier said than done. Are these people in your life responsible for the majority of your happiness do you think? I find if you're a happy rounded person in yourself, friendships come more easily... not sure why.

:clap: :hefdaddy

*beaming good vibes/positive healing energy to Jackie/NJ friend*

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #1544 on: January 08, 2013, 08:13:17 AM »
Thanks.. she is gone, now I'm trying to figure out if I can make it to her wake Thursday :(

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1545 on: January 08, 2013, 09:05:00 AM »
Thanks.. she is gone, now I'm trying to figure out if I can make it to her wake Thursday :(

sorry to hear that Jackie.

:hug:
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1546 on: January 08, 2013, 12:14:54 PM »
Sorry to hear about Jackie.  I hope you can find a way to Jersey so you can get closure/peace/healing.

Offline DebraKadabra

• Witch Goddess of Lankershim Boulevard
  • DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #1547 on: January 11, 2013, 05:16:52 PM »

Sorry I'm just now seeing this, Jackie... words are not adequate. :hug:

Offline Akasha

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1548 on: January 12, 2013, 08:54:24 AM »
Had another damn fuckin nightmare this morning! I hate them so much. I just fuckin wish they would end, but it doesn't seem they will. I've been having them for over 10 yrs now. I don't think they ever will end till I'm dead.

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #1549 on: January 14, 2013, 12:51:46 AM »
Lots of strength, Jackie.  :'(
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline philmcson

« Reply #1550 on: January 14, 2013, 03:54:49 AM »
I have some kind of weird mood swings these days. For a few hours I am happy and smiling and randomly laughing (such as when remembering some special funny or great situations, but also if I have some great conversation with friends or strangers at the grocery store) and then, often in the evening, my mood swings into some light depression and I wish I had a gf to cuddle and hug.

Yesterday it was especially strange when described mood swings occured every hour - went to the baker in the morning and couldn't help but giggle so that even the cab drivers were staring in disbelief at me from their cars. One hour later, I was totally blue, just laid down on my bed and imagined a perfect girl that would hug me from behind...... phew, God knows what will happen next....

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #1551 on: January 14, 2013, 08:33:31 AM »
Is that a new thing for you?

And thanks to everyone for all the support. Was able to make it back for the wake and spend some awesome time with friends, see our friends' band play, etc. It was well worth it...

Offline philmcson

« Reply #1552 on: January 14, 2013, 06:28:30 PM »
Well, I often giggle randomly when I remember hilarious occasions, but the fast switches are a bit weird, I think....

Offline Akasha

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1553 on: January 14, 2013, 10:57:00 PM »
Tired of having panic attacks! All I want to do is go to fuckin sleep and it sets off a damn panic attack.

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #1554 on: January 15, 2013, 09:35:54 AM »
Trying to go to sleep?? That's weird. Panic attacks suck :(

Offline Akasha

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1555 on: January 16, 2013, 12:16:40 PM »
Trying to go to sleep?? That's weird. Panic attacks suck :(

Yes, I have panic attacks when I lay down to go to sleep. Not strange for me.

Offline r0cken

« Reply #1556 on: January 17, 2013, 08:05:12 AM »
Also, I tend to try and be thankful for the time I spent with someone even if I don't stay close to them... easier said than done. Are these people in your life responsible for the majority of your happiness do you think? I find if you're a happy rounded person in yourself, friendships come more easily... not sure why.
Yeah, trying to being thankful for the time given, is a good thing. I always try to think that way.
Sadly, I'm not a very self-content person, so I do depend on others in that department. Good relationships always make me happy. I'm not good at being alone.

Tired of having panic attacks! All I want to do is go to fuckin sleep and it sets off a damn panic attack.
Used to keep a playlist of happy songs, funny videos, a list of jokes and some breathing exercises, just in case a panic attack kicks in. At night - reading myself to sleep helped, or having music playing at a low volume, preferably with lyrics I can concentrate on, until I fall asleep.
But I guess those prone to panic attacks already know all this, and have their own bag of tricks.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1557 on: January 17, 2013, 09:16:28 AM »
Maybe you should play Panic Attack before bed, get it out of the way :neverusethis:

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #1558 on: January 20, 2013, 02:38:54 PM »
For God's sake, why won't my heater get warm? I've been home for almost 7 hours now and only the top half of the radiator is warm, the bottom half is still very cold. My room is freezing and it's fucking annoying. I've never had anything like this before with this particular radiator, usually it heats up in no time. It doesn't reeally help that it's minus 4 outside, but still. /rant
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline wkiml

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1559 on: January 22, 2013, 06:00:07 AM »
For God's sake, why won't my heater get warm? I've been home for almost 7 hours now and only the top half of the radiator is warm, the bottom half is still very cold. My room is freezing and it's fucking annoying. I've never had anything like this before with this particular radiator, usually it heats up in no time. It doesn't reeally help that it's minus 4 outside, but still. /rant

Hot water ?

Radiator may need to be bleed....if there is air in there, it will not completely heat up

Quote from: senecadawg2 on July 17, 2012, 10:54:32 PM
In defense of peanut butter...

try getting the neighbor's dog to lick your balls with a spoonful of chummus.

Offline wkiml

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1560 on: January 22, 2013, 06:56:18 AM »
Have not been feeling myself lately, constant fatigue  body aches ( not those associated with an illness) vertigo etc etc

went to the doctor yesterday

Heart all good
Lungs all good
Blood pressure all good

Took some blood work..should havet he results in a few day

Gave me an anti-anxiety/depression medication to help me with stress and sleep...holy shit this stuff through me for a loop....fell asleep 8pm...felt like I was out for hours  when I rolled over and look at the clock it was only 10 pm this went on all night...deep deep sleep but waking up every 30-40 minutes or so

Called the doc this morning, its a side effect of the medication and may take 2 weeks plus for my body to get accustomed to the meds  also set me up for a sleep study I was diagnoised with sleep apnea years ago, he wants to make sure it hasn't gotten worse

I couldn't deal with the C-pap machine last time around I may have no option this time

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert
« Reply #1561 on: January 22, 2013, 01:25:00 PM »
been unemployed for nearly 8 weeks. I've been applying every where, calling everywhere  and no one has even called back. Trying my best to stay positive, but it's getting harder.

Offline wkiml

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1562 on: January 22, 2013, 02:27:24 PM »
keep your head up...keep looking...keep collecting unemployment if your eligible

I was out of work for a year between 2009-2010....i was fortunate enough to have about a years salary saved away but watching that balance go down week after week month after month had me a wreck before I got the call

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #1563 on: January 22, 2013, 05:14:59 PM »
Sorry to hear that, snapple :(

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #1564 on: January 23, 2013, 04:34:40 PM »
My brother is heading toward being a high school dropout, and he really doesn't seem to care. I know it's really none of my business and it's up to him to act or not act, but my dad has started to threaten to kick him out and totally cut him off when he turns 18, and it really scares me that he can't see down that road.
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #1565 on: January 23, 2013, 06:52:13 PM »
Made my mom cry. That's never something that makes me feel good :( didn't mean to
It also kinda scares me, even to this day, just because its something she never does

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #1566 on: January 23, 2013, 11:22:33 PM »
 :(

What happened?

My brother is heading toward being a high school dropout, and he really doesn't seem to care. I know it's really none of my business and it's up to him to act or not act, but my dad has started to threaten to kick him out and totally cut him off when he turns 18, and it really scares me that he can't see down that road.

Well it is your business since he's your brother, but he does ultimately have to learn the lesson for himself. What has been going on with him?

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #1567 on: January 23, 2013, 11:36:27 PM »
She's been on the wire recently because she's been making the house ready for sale for the move to Tampa, and today jus wasn't her day. Everyone was leaving a mess upstairs and I'd forgotten a shirt I'd left on the coffee table, she shouted at me, I kind of shouted back because it was just something that slipped from my mind, and she just broke down in front of me.
ALL of my younger siblings just stared at me with "what should we do?" Faces  :sadpanda:

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #1568 on: January 24, 2013, 04:42:46 AM »
:(

What happened?

Well it is your business since he's your brother, but he does ultimately have to learn the lesson for himself. What has been going on with him?

My parents went to a PTA meeting yesterday, and the teachers have all said that the work he does turn in is A work, but the problem is he doesn't turn in his work, so he gets Es on everything. If he keeps this up and his grades keep declining, he'll probably graduate, but he definitely won't be going to college. And if that happens, he's gonna be cut off and kicked out.
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #1569 on: January 24, 2013, 08:12:48 AM »
Well, not sure if this is any consolation but I'm one of those kids who spent my last two years of high school completely not giving a shit, and now I have a Master's.

I was really depressed at the end of high school, to the point where I was doing the bare minimum and never showing up. I was late almost every day, and I had about three times as many absences as you were "allowed" to have. I barely graduated, but ended up getting into a few colleges anyway because my previous grades were good, and they also just weren't difficult schools to get into. I ended up doing really well in undergrad, and then getting into almost every grad school I applied to.
So it's not completely hopeless, but of course he does have to make it through. Is he in his last year or what?
Seems like he has stuff he needs to get sorted out before he goes to college, though (if that's what he wants). I ended up taking a year off to do just that myself, since I was still in a pretty shitty place when I started.

Offline MetalMike06

• DT.net Member
« Reply #1570 on: January 24, 2013, 08:49:37 AM »
What is his GPA expected to be upon graduation?

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1571 on: January 24, 2013, 09:24:38 AM »
I really wish people would put so much pressure on kids to go to college under the threat that they won't amount to anything if they don't.  There are a lot of important jobs that don't require a formal education.  Part of the reason no one wants to work anymore is because of the negative connotation connected to many jobs that don't require post-secondary education.

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert
« Reply #1572 on: January 24, 2013, 09:26:53 AM »
Community colleges wont look at your HS GPA and give a chance to get a good GPA for universities.

Offline MetalMike06

• DT.net Member
« Reply #1573 on: January 24, 2013, 10:35:45 AM »
Community colleges wont look at your HS GPA and give a chance to get a good GPA for universities.

Yep, why I was wondering about the GPA. Most typical state colleges require just a 2.0 to get in (or a certain SAT/ACT score). So SuperDude if your bro happens to have lower than that, he can still just go to community college for a year or two and get a better GPA. Yeah, maybe he won't be going to an ivy-league school right out of high school but that's obviously quite a longshot from not going to college period. I didn't care too much in HS either but it still wasn't hard to get into college.

Offline MetalMike06

• DT.net Member
« Reply #1574 on: January 24, 2013, 10:48:50 AM »
I really wish people would put so much pressure on kids to go to college under the threat that they won't amount to anything if they don't.  There are a lot of important jobs that don't require a formal education.  Part of the reason no one wants to work anymore is because of the negative connotation connected to many jobs that don't require post-secondary education.

I also kinda think the notion that 'everybody needs to go to college no matter what' is also the reason why more and more employers are requiring degrees for jobs that might not really necessitate them. That pool of graduates is just gonna keep getting bigger.