Author Topic: The Depressed/Angry Thread.  (Read 255369 times)

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
Re: The Depressed/Angry Thread.
« Reply #1330 on: October 30, 2012, 02:54:02 AM »
Well if my Ziltoid joke didn't cheer you up, I'm not sure anything can.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline lateralus88

• The Official DTF Stanley Kubrick Fanboi
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • I stabbed Euronymous because he drank my PBR
« Reply #1331 on: October 30, 2012, 10:47:32 AM »
No, that joke had me in stitches for a few minutes. Just didn't bother typing that last night.
I felt its length in quite a few places.

Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #3

Offline DebraKadabra

• Witch Goddess of Lankershim Boulevard
  • DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #1332 on: October 31, 2012, 12:07:25 AM »
I'm getting the feeling that I'm probably not suited for the job that I want - I'll still apply, but I have a feeling I'm gonna fail pretty hard.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #1333 on: November 01, 2012, 12:02:38 AM »
Not really angry or depressed, but I have this student that tries very hard and still has crappy test scores.  He comes to my office for extra help more than other students, in the classroom he seems to get it and is active in discussion, but when test day rolls around it's disasterpiece theater.  This is the worst part of my job.

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #1334 on: November 01, 2012, 02:08:22 AM »
Test anxiety, maybe?

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert
« Reply #1335 on: November 01, 2012, 08:58:25 AM »
Not really angry or depressed, but I have this student that tries very hard and still has crappy test scores.  He comes to my office for extra help more than other students, in the classroom he seems to get it and is active in discussion, but when test day rolls around it's disasterpiece theater.  This is the worst part of my job.

My highschool chemistry (AP chem) teacher was really good to me. He knew that he taught the class to be competitive between students, but I told him that that was something I wasn't into. I was in it for myself. Anyway, I had struggles with homework more than anything, and he spent a lot of time with me on it. I got a 4.0 despite my bad homework grades, because I tested well and he knew I knew the stuff. I don't know, but Chem teachers seem to be fucking amazing and it's a great subject.

Offline Akasha

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1336 on: November 01, 2012, 11:31:52 AM »

Ask his other teachers how he does on their tests. If he does poorly and his notebook is a mess he may need to be tested for dyslexia. I myself have a mild form of dyslexia. Mine wasn't diagnosed till about 10 yrs ago.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #1337 on: November 01, 2012, 12:35:42 PM »
You teach organic chemistry, right? If so, that would explain the low test scores. That stuff is hard. In my experience, I "got it" when walking through it slowly and conceptually. For example, if I was going through the section on electrophilic aromatic substitution, I pretty much was able to predict how each reaction that follows that mechanism was going to go. But when test time rolled around and I had to synthesize (no pun intended) a ton of information, it blew me down.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline carl320

• The Knight of Cups
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1338 on: November 02, 2012, 09:23:30 PM »
/rant

I drive trucks and it pisses me off that I'm constantly passed by cars that are doing something that, if I did them driving, would get me fined and shut down.  If I have a light that doesn't work, a DOT officer could pull me over and nail me to the wall with an inspection.  God help me if I get caught with my cell phone in hand ($2700 fine and I'm sure my company would have something nice for me too).  Today I was passed on numerous occasions by people just typing away on their phones, oblivious to the truck that was in the lane right next to them.  If I did half the things I see other drivers do and got caught, I'd be out of a job right now.

/endrant
In high school my buddies and I built a Van Der Graaf generator.  You know, to get girls.

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #1339 on: November 03, 2012, 11:24:43 PM »

Online Adami

« Reply #1340 on: November 03, 2012, 11:37:51 PM »
Super depressed. Life feels like a small confining box at the moment. Not overly fond of it.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1341 on: November 04, 2012, 04:49:28 AM »
I hear ya bro.  Every time things seem to be looking up, shit hits the fan.  Sucks when that shit is totally out of your control, and totally illogical/irrational.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline carl320

• The Knight of Cups
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1342 on: November 04, 2012, 11:01:54 AM »
In high school my buddies and I built a Van Der Graaf generator.  You know, to get girls.

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #1343 on: November 04, 2012, 01:15:10 PM »
I hear ya bro.  Every time things seem to be looking up, shit hits the fan.  Sucks when that shit is totally out of your control, and totally illogical/irrational.

Hear hear.

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert
« Reply #1344 on: November 05, 2012, 08:38:48 PM »
The job I have pays the bills...which is putting my wife through school with $0 in loans/debt. Unfortunately, my job is sales based and I'm not doing a stellar job. I'm not really comfortable with sales. I had my 90 day review today and it didn't go well. First, my boss and I get a long really well. He told me he was losing sleep over this. I basically have 30 days to get my crap together or I need to go and find a job. I understand why this is the case. He needs to make money on me (he's breaking even). It sucks because I have no idea what the hell I want to do with my life. I do not like sales. I don't like the pressure and it's really putting me out of my comfort zone. Just general thoughts/prayers I guess. If you have any advice, I'm all ears.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1345 on: November 05, 2012, 08:51:30 PM »
What kind of sales?  Not all sales positions are high pressure ones.  Granted, those are the ones that have the greatest potential.  I know what you mean though.  I sold Kirby vacuum cleaners for a while and even though I was pretty good at it, I certainly didn't like some of the tactics I was told to use and led to a crisis of conscious that led me to taking a lower paying job making pizzas until I got a job using my college degree.  If you like other aspects of your job, you should write those down and try to come up with a list of what you want and don't want in a job.  Do you like working with people or not?  How much physical labor do you like?  Do you want to be mobile and travel locally or do you want to be in one place for most of the day?  How much autonomy do you want?  Guidance from your supervisor?  Once you get a list, share it with people you know (us included if you so desire) and just talk about what jobs might suit you. 

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1346 on: November 06, 2012, 08:59:30 AM »
Sorry to sort-of parachute in here, but does anyone suffer from "seasonal depression"?  I always have a tendency to get incredibly depressed without warning and it causes me to isolate myself for weeks or months at a time.  It's affected my ability to have long-term relationships.  Anyway, I thought I conquered it this year by getting involved in a bunch of activities and meeting new people and keeping myself busy, but all of a sudden the past couple of weeks I feel like I'm relapsing.  Yesterday at work, I had this immense sadness and some tears for no real reason.  I didn't let anyone see, obviously.  I texted one of my female friends who I trust and asked her if this happens to her, and she said it could be seasonal depression.  She said she felt bummed out too yesterday.  It's dark early now and it affects our equilibrium or whatever and sparks a serious mood change. (Link: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seasonal_affective_disorder).  I had never heard of it.  But then I realized that this same time last year I got really low as well and didn't go out for a couple months.  Does this happen to anyone else?  I have a good life and really don't have anything to be down about.  I hate that this happens every so often, because I end up pushing people away and ruining relationships.
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert
« Reply #1347 on: November 06, 2012, 09:00:28 AM »
in short, yes.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1348 on: November 06, 2012, 09:07:28 AM »
Yes.  I don't, but my wife does.  It just lingers on and on, and gnaws away at her.  With a lot of it being due to lack of sunlight, a lot of Vitamin D helps off-set, as does this (mimics some of the natural effects/benefits of sunlight)

https://www.philips.ca/c/light-therapy/golite-blu-plus-rechargeable-hf3332_60/prd/en/
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #1349 on: November 10, 2012, 10:39:21 AM »
Really not doing too well. I have all sorts of physical/mental symptoms of being kicked in the ass by life, I can't focus on anything and I've been kicking myself in the ass too and crying periodically since this morning for realizing I am not doing too well at all and that I've been in denial (sorry for being vague, this is just the most I can do right now) and the last person I vented to - no, the person who technically overheard what I told to the last person I vented to - brushed it off as angsty teen bullshit.

I need a picture of something happy please.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #1350 on: November 10, 2012, 11:43:28 AM »
Really not doing too well. I have all sorts of physical/mental symptoms of being kicked in the ass by life, I can't focus on anything and I've been kicking myself in the ass too and crying periodically since this morning for realizing I am not doing too well at all and that I've been in denial (sorry for being vague, this is just the most I can do right now) and the last person I vented to - no, the person who technically overheard what I told to the last person I vented to - brushed it off as angsty teen bullshit.

I wish I could offer you real solace but all I can say is try to realize each day presents an opportunity to start fresh. Today you feel depressed. Believe tomorrow will be better. Hold on to that hope. Don't let your demons beat you!
Sorry your having such a rough day. :sad:
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Online Adami

« Reply #1351 on: November 10, 2012, 11:46:06 AM »

-hug-
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #1352 on: November 10, 2012, 05:09:23 PM »

Kittehs always make me happy when I'm feeling down, especially my three furry kiddos.  Hang in there, and sorry you're having a rough go of it. :hug: :heart

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #1353 on: November 10, 2012, 05:42:19 PM »

Get here and I'll hug ya. Don't focus too much on the negative stuff and be happy, you deserve that :)

:hug:

Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1354 on: November 13, 2012, 01:51:45 PM »
No regular work is really starting to get to me, mentally. I'm over-educated and under-qualified to do anything validating. I think I might be going nowhere in life, and probably can't control that anyway. I feel like I need help, but I don't know where to go for it, or how to get it, or even what kind of help I need.  :(

Online Adami

« Reply #1355 on: November 13, 2012, 01:52:51 PM »
No regular work is really starting to get to me, mentally. I'm over-educated and under-qualified to do anything validating. I think I might be going nowhere in life, and probably can't control that anyway. I feel like I need help, but I don't know where to go for it, or how to get it, or even what kind of help I need.  :(

You totally summed it up for me too bro. Thankfully my solution is.............more education! I'm hoping jobs will just start to feel bad turning down a guy with 2 masters, you know, once I get the other.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1356 on: November 13, 2012, 01:55:58 PM »
I had a two (2!) hour interview last week, which I felt like went great, with everyone smiling and laughing and shit. I've tried to follow up a few times since then, and I've gotten no acknowledgement what so ever. No response via phone or e-mail.

I might have to do another master's degree. Maybe I should just starting looking for PhD programs. I guess I should be thankful that I still have my 'rents around supporting me.

Online Adami

« Reply #1357 on: November 13, 2012, 02:00:42 PM »
I had a two (2!) hour interview last week, which I felt like went great, with everyone smiling and laughing and shit. I've tried to follow up a few times since then, and I've gotten no acknowledgement what so ever. No response via phone or e-mail. This is fucking gay!

I might have to do another master's degree. Maybe I should just starting looking for PhD programs. I guess I should be thankful that I still have my 'rents around supporting me.

Yea, went on a few interviews myself, and each one told me they'd get back to me either way.

Usually never heard back.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1358 on: November 13, 2012, 02:01:19 PM »
Also, I can't believe I wrote "this is fucking gay!". Sorry, I don't talk like that actually. That was a weird slip.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1359 on: November 13, 2012, 09:05:21 PM »
Dumbass arguments fucking suck!  Why do people who supposedly love you lurch on to one portion of one sentence ... completely misunderstand it, get pissed about what they think you said, and then refuse to hear the 18 ways you try to clarify what the comment really meant.

Nice fucking evening I did not have.

FML.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1360 on: November 13, 2012, 09:31:29 PM »
Dumbass arguments fucking suck!  Why do people who supposedly love you lurch on to one portion of one sentence ... completely misunderstand it, get pissed about what they think you said, and then refuse to hear the 18 ways you try to clarify what the comment really meant.

Nice fucking evening I did not have.

FML.

This is largely why I'm single...because I don't put up with that shit.

Of course, I'm not getting any in the forseeable future...so there's the one and only downside.

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #1361 on: November 13, 2012, 09:54:41 PM »
:hug: ?

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1362 on: November 13, 2012, 10:13:54 PM »
He said he wants a blow job.  You might not want to hug him, he might get attached.  :lol

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1363 on: November 13, 2012, 10:14:34 PM »
He said he wants a blow job.  You might not want to hug him, he might get attached.  :lol

Seneca and Elite wanted the hummers.  I was just playing matchmaker.

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #1364 on: November 13, 2012, 10:18:18 PM »

Jesus H, Mason! :rollin :rollin

Seneca and Elite wanted the hummers.  I was just playing matchmaker.

You too, Chad! :yeahright :lol

Not that I'm a barnacle or anything... :laugh: