Author Topic: The Depressed/Angry Thread.  (Read 255374 times)

Offline DebraKadabra

• Witch Goddess of Lankershim Boulevard
  • DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
Re: The Depressed/Angry Thread.
« Reply #1225 on: July 25, 2012, 01:29:15 PM »
I just need to check in somewhere. As most of you know, I got sober last year after thirty years of drinking and drugging. For the most part it's been great, but I am finding one this really fucking hard to deal with, and it is getting worse. My substance abuse habits were a product of an abusive childhood, and the emotions that I was drowning are all coming to the surface now. I have no control over them, they are tired of hiding and waiting, they need to be felt. It started a few weeks ago, as a subtle rise in me, and exploded yesterday. After a two hour long blowout, I was able to calm down with a friend's help, but now I am just feeling lost and empty, like the basis of all I am is gone, and I have to build anew. I feel guilty when I dump it on friends, it's some really heavy shit, and I care too much about them to hand them that type of crap. I know I got a long, slow road of more recovery ahead of me, but damn is it really hard sometimes. I do see a therapist btw, and work a heavy recovery, and they help, but the hours in between get overwhelming. Part of me looks forward to this, getting to relearn all the bad ideas I believed about myself, being a bit more positive on a day to day basis, but the road to that scares the shit out of me. As with everything else, I can only take it one day at a time.

Thanks for letting vent, I needed to get it out. I haven't been posting much, my heart just isn't in it, and this is why. Love you guys.

Sorry you're down in it, dude... :'(

:hug:  :heart

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #1226 on: July 25, 2012, 02:34:30 PM »
Thanks Deb.  :heart

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #1227 on: July 25, 2012, 03:24:34 PM »
Thanks Deb.  :heart

If you'd like, you can imagine me hugging and kissing you too.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Waves

« Reply #1228 on: July 30, 2012, 07:16:22 PM »
Hey guys.  Long time lurker, former poster on DT. net.  I can't believe I'm going to be writing half of this stuff, but I feel it's in my best interest to share what's going on with me and ask for advice.  I haven't seen a doctor or other professional as I haven't felt the need (or had the guts) to admit that I'm not well.

I'm in my mid-20's, have a somewhat stable job making a decent salary for someone with a 4 year degree.  I'm sharing an apartment with a long time friend (for almost two months) but have been living independently (albeit under my parents roof) for several years, so the transition was not a shock at all.

I feel stuck.  I have very few friends, so each day is more or less the same.  My boss is an incompetent dick who makes me want to scream at him every time he opens his mouth.  I've been in a relationship rut for a couple years, and while I imagine all my problems going away if I find one, I know I'm just deluding myself.  I realize I need to fix myself first.

For the past few months (since before I moved out), I've been thinking about death a lot.  Not suicide, mind you.  Not a feeling of wanting to end my own life, but more of a feeling of not caring should it happen.  I'll be going down the freeway thinking about the odds of survival if I get into an accident.  Wondering how long I would be in the hospital if I got sick or injured.  I'd never do anything to cause that, and I have no desire to at all.

Last night I took the last 4 Vicodin pills from an old prescription along with 4 mixed drinks and it felt wonderful.  I have a high tolerance for alcohol and Vicodin doesn't affect me very much, so I pretty much got the effects of three times the alcohol without the hangover in the morning.  I didn't do that to hurt myself, but to feel better, and it worked.

I'm not the type of guy to do things for attention, and the thought of doing anything visibly out of the ordinary like cutting (ouch), asking for help, etc. is not appealing in any way.  The thought of popping a couple pills to feel better, be functional, and without anyone knowing sounds very appealing.

I want more friends, but I'm not good at socializing.
I want a better boss, but so does everyone else.
I don't want to feel hopeless all the time.

:sadpanda:

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1229 on: August 03, 2012, 02:02:06 PM »
Welcome to DTF Waves, depressing first post but I'm glad you shared cause we have a lot in common.
I think I'm in much later and worse stages of your case though, I can't be coherent long enough to write a post that long*. My Google Chrome has 7 tabs that have been open for week for posts I started and haven't finished, some of them a a thread starter and some of them replies to other threads, in either way rapid loss of interest, laziness and severe lack of purpose strikes half way through and I decide I'll "finish it later". A much better case is for me to see posts and conversations that I can -and want- to contribute to but decide not to in fear of not following through.
I'm 30, I've moved here from Egypt cause my wife needed to stay in the U.S. for her school and work, I moved here going on 4 years now. I had 4 or 5 close friends in Egypt that I would see literally everyday and masses of casual friends that I kept in touch with and saw occasionally. Now since I moved here I've only had web based friends, none in real life at all, I hang out with my brother-in-law every now and then but he's 10 years younger than me and pretty much somewhere else mentally and usually busy with his own life and friends.
I have no solution but I thought may be sharing a common aspect of your problem makes it a bit better, it does for me when I hear problems similar to mine. Of course that particular aspect is one of at least 4 things that are equally slaying me.

* I started writing this post a few hours after yours.

For the past few months (since before I moved out), I've been thinking about death a lot.  Not suicide, mind you.  Not a feeling of wanting to end my own life, but more of a feeling of not caring should it happen.  I'll be going down the freeway thinking about the odds of survival if I get into an accident.  Wondering how long I would be in the hospital if I got sick or injured.  I'd never do anything to cause that, and I have no desire to at all.

Right there with ya word for word. I've been finding myself imagining my mutilated body or face in the accident which is taking my psychological troubles into a brand new area IMO.

I'm not the type of guy to do things for attention, and the thought of doing anything visibly out of the ordinary like cutting (ouch), asking for help, etc. is not appealing in any way.  The thought of popping a couple pills to feel better, be functional, and without anyone knowing sounds very appealing.

Also same deal here, I've been finding that to be a small victory of mine, I can honestly say I have never made anyone around me even slightly aware of my psychological problems. I wish I had some kind of pill too but I don't, I've always enjoyed being with Mary Jane but I've been expecting job interviews for the last year and since then I have not been able to relax that way. I don't drink neither so it's just me and the Melatonin I get off the shelf at the grocery store.
I know -and I think you should too- that all this will end sooner or later, things are bound to get better, it's just the matter of Oxygen lasting until the surface. Sometimes I don't believe it's gonna last me and sometimes I do.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2012, 02:21:17 PM by Progmetty »
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #1230 on: August 04, 2012, 11:21:42 PM »
While I can't relate particularly well, I'm sorry for the both of you. At the same time, I have faith that you guys can persevere. Remember that there is always hope, and purpose, in life. The human will really can be unbreakable if you focus on being present and keeping high spirits.
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #1231 on: August 22, 2012, 05:26:11 PM »
Been thinking a lot about my dad the past week or so. My bitch of a step mother avoids me at all costs, and my mother's drinking has gotten really bad... I really don't speak to either very much... But whatever... my closest family, that raised me... the one person in my life that was always there is buried right next to the second closest person in my life. I know I have said it all before here... but I just gotta say it again. I can't stop thinking about the day he was killed... reading it online on my local newspaper website... then getting a call from my cousin telling me that the story was about my dad... Having to tell my stepmother (who they had been living apart for a year or so at that point...)... her taking over... taking everything... being told off when I asked for several keepsake's of my dads (a hat... his leather wallet... a ring... something). Her even taking the ONE thing I thought i had... being able to pic his song at the funeral ("I know your out there" - Moody Blues)... and then being the one to shut his casket. Standing there after the funeral watching lines of people trying to comfort my stepmother and sister... the only person (besides my closest people I invited) who came up to me did so to ask me how much my dad had left her. Fast forward.... getting a call that the guy who killed him was found guilty of manslaughter... going to the sentencing... him getting off with a month of work furlough... then meeting the man face to face... resisting the urge to punch the fucker in the face... Shaking his hand... meeting his wife and young children. That shit right there causes some really fucked up emotions that I can't even convey in words. Feeling helpless... like I am a horrible person because I want their father to go away for a long time or forever. If I ran into him today, idk what I would do
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #1232 on: August 22, 2012, 05:31:28 PM »
:hug:

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #1233 on: August 22, 2012, 05:34:16 PM »
It's been three years since he died and a year since the sentencing and I feel like I have gone no where emotionally... It ebbs and flows but the anger and depression is still here
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #1234 on: August 22, 2012, 05:45:14 PM »
Jay, all I can say is that these things sometimes take time to heal.  Sometimes all you can do is live one day at a time.  I wish I could help you more with it, but sometimes the anger and depression HELPS you to heal.

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #1235 on: August 23, 2012, 05:35:42 AM »
That's really tough man. As Deb said, sometimes you just gotta live one day at a time, and live in a way that you know would make your father proud.
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1236 on: August 23, 2012, 08:58:44 PM »
I was going to post in GD chat, but didn't want to bring the mood down there.  Now that I've quickly perused the past couple pages (and especially knowing what Crimson Sunrise is going thru), I'm like 'wtf... your issues are nothing'.

But, I got no where else to turn.  No friends (dtf is pretty much all I have) to talk this over with; no family (that's part of the issue).  Haven't been posting much around these here parts lately either (lurked, but just no motivation to post much).  Just in a deep, deep funk.  Work sucks ... there's probably a 50/50 chance my job is going to be whacked next week.  Wife is going through some emotional issues... internal and external.  My father is turning into a dreamy combination of his mother (self-centered, guilt-laying individual) and father (mean, selfish, unloving).  Haven't been too close with my brother for about 13 years (since my wedding), and mother is pretty self absorbed individual.  So, those are the family issues.

Work... took a new job (actually, was 'given' a new job - didn't really have a choice) back in Jan, and everything was pretty good up until the end of May.  Then, the business really started sliding.  The group I support has been stiff-arming every effort I put forth to support them.  My boss is non-existent.  I swear, every meeting I've had scheduled with him the past 3 months has either been rescheduled (numerous times) or cancelled.  It's a forgone conclusion that we're going to be getting rid of a lot of people in a cost reduction move (probably next week), and I'm getting a whole lot of signals that my job is one of them.  And at this point, I'm so disillusioned with a lot of aspects of my group and how we support the other businesses, I think I'd welcome it.

Friends... like I said, none.  Literally, I have none that I keep in touch with anymore.  Got disconnected from all my college buddies about 7-8 years ago.  My closest of them (we were in each others' wedding party, and he was the legal guardian of my kids for a long time), I sent a message to a couple months ago on his 40th birthday, saying I missed his friendship, wondering how we got so disconnected, what could have happened that we couldn't repair... no matter, the past is the past, and I'd love to hear from him.  Nothing.  Nada.  Zilch.  Zip.  That's pretty much how it seems to go with all my friendships.  They all seem to be a one-way effort, and even when I am putting forth the effort, lot's of no-show on the other end.

Wife... she's in a pretty depressed state too.  As I said, internal and external issues at play there.  Her family creates a boat-load of stress, but my family creates a whole fleet of stress on her.

It's pretty shitty to be going thru life, just trying to minimize my misery.

Well.... end rant.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #1237 on: August 23, 2012, 09:09:26 PM »
I can't offer much other than a :hug: - hang in there, buddy. :)

Offline obscure

• Properly Silly
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1238 on: August 24, 2012, 06:20:57 AM »
Chaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad  :heart

I am so sorry hun! I feel extremely guilt now... You know I was very preoccupied with my thesis for the past month and couldn't send you even a few lines lines... Please let me make it up to you now... I don't know how much of a healing it would be but I've got a surprise for you.. You'll probably hear from me during the weekend!

Hang in there honey!!!! :hug:

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1239 on: August 24, 2012, 06:39:31 AM »
Hang in there Chad.  I'm with you as a grown up it's so hard to get together with my old friends.  We all try to stay connected but don't talk as much as we used too.

My job is stressing the bleep out of me.  I never get more than 6 hours of sleep and my 23 year old nephew moved in after getting out of jail and the kid has no motivation at all.  Very frustrating.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1240 on: August 24, 2012, 06:42:24 AM »
Don't feel guilty Nem.  That's the last thing I want or need.  My issues are mine, and shouldn't affect anyone else in a negative way, nor are they yours to solve.  You should have been concentrating on your thesis.  And I'm very happy for you that it's done.

Thanks for the hugs ladies ... if only they were more than just an emot.   :-\

I don't know how much of a healing it would be but I've got a surprise for you.. You'll probably hear from me during the weekend!

Interview with a certain lead singer? ? ?   :lol
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline obscure

• Properly Silly
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1241 on: August 24, 2012, 06:45:15 AM »
Believe me dear.. I am taking steps towards that direction each and every day  :laugh:
But you'll like this one too! Promise!

I feel the same way!!!! Bummer!  :-\

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #1242 on: August 24, 2012, 07:03:39 AM »
Damn bro, had a feeling something was going on, something more than just being busy. Sometimes just putting the stuff into words helps, I know I did my little bit of venting in this thread a while back.  Hang in there man, and contact me if you need to. :tup

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert
« Reply #1243 on: August 24, 2012, 07:26:09 AM »
I feel like I can't have just one drink. I feel Like a primal urge to keep drinking after I have one beer. Ive told Courtney about this, and she's been helping. She understands that I love the taste of beer and take a lot of joy in trying new kinds. She doesn't let me have more than one. Which is nice. She knows alcoholism runs in my family. But, yeah. It's a real bizarre feeling, and it's scary.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #1244 on: August 24, 2012, 07:31:34 AM »
There are genetic traits, I couldn't explain the exact cycle, which causes that in people, has something to do with brain chemistry levels that when we trigger the cycle with booze, it just keeps going, supposedly it's present in about 5% of the population(including a certain chef I'm sure :lol). Keep an eye on it, it's good that you can recognize it though.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #1245 on: August 24, 2012, 08:03:01 AM »
Jay,  I know things like money are tight, but you've gone through some real tough and rather unique issues, and it might help you to talk to a professional counselor.  They are trained in helping people deal with these issues.

Chad, check your PMs 

Online chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1246 on: August 24, 2012, 12:09:29 PM »
Hey-yo chad! You have 2 friends in AZ, just so you know!  :metal

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #1247 on: August 24, 2012, 12:12:57 PM »
Jay,  I know things like money are tight, but you've gone through some real tough and rather unique issues, and it might help you to talk to a professional counselor.  They are trained in helping people deal with these issues.

Jay, the good Doc is right - it may be worth your while to look into it, at the very least.

Know that feeling all too well, bro. :-\

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #1248 on: August 29, 2012, 03:47:05 PM »
Work today is rather... challenging, to say the least.  I'm either going to rip all of my hair out or go on a serious bender. :-\

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #1249 on: September 04, 2012, 07:12:06 PM »
*in b4 a jingle bump* :P

So, I'm going to be extra stressed until Second Banana is back on 9/19 - I told my boss that I'd act for her since no one else wanted to do it AND since it's over 2 weeks I'll get a temporary pay increase.

The extra $$ will probably not be worth it though. :|

Edit:  It's not July anymore, doofus. :facepalm:
« Last Edit: September 04, 2012, 10:18:05 PM by DebraKadabra »

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1250 on: September 04, 2012, 11:01:29 PM »
Yeah ... You beat me. I'm on a quick layover in LA on my way to Phoenix. Much more to type, but the good(??) news is I still have a job ... Just not totally sure what it entails. 2 days of planning will start to flush it out.

More later, as I'm not in any better a place than I was two weeks ago.

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #1251 on: September 05, 2012, 02:58:05 AM »
 :( :hug:

At least you've still got your job, but your post leads me to believe that it's a "for now" type of dealio.

Online chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1252 on: September 05, 2012, 11:00:57 AM »
Jingle in Phx? For how long?

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1253 on: September 05, 2012, 12:36:42 PM »
Until Friday morning.  I was going to reach out to you Tricia, but my boss scheduled dinner meetings both nights, so I have no free time.  Next time I'm here, I promise.

Online chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1254 on: September 05, 2012, 01:10:09 PM »
awwww shucks

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #1255 on: September 05, 2012, 02:05:36 PM »
I'm just going to use this thread to vent some stuff, because I don't think it's worth its own thread. I don't really care if people wouldn't read this, but I'd appreciate it if you did. I've been cropping up random feelings of shit for the past couple of months. It's how I function; things don't affect me really, but after a couple of months I break down sometimes. I haven't yet, but I can feel it getting near. I used to think I was a manic depressive because of this when I was a little longer, which wasn't even too far-fetched since both my uncle and grandfather were. Oh, they were both alcoholics as well. My stepfather is as well, or at least he has an alcohol-problem and it's screwing up my mother's and sister's relationship with him. I don't really see lots of it, because I don't live there anymore, but every once in a while I'm confronted with the crap, even though he doesn't live with my mother anymore.

I failed my driving exam four times and should have had the fucking license almost 1.5 years ago, but I still don't have it. I have to rely on other people with cars. My guitar amp keeps breaking down and I'm pretty much always out of money. I can't really get out of my words, but last night I was having a night out with people I know from my study (about 15-25 of them) and I didn't feel like I actually fit in with them. I've always had this, never really fitting in with groups of people. I'm not a huge sociable person, but I can get around with many people, I'm not much of a group-person. The most annoying part of this is that I'm going to be the treasurer of my study-association and I don't really have that many friends at my study. So I was feeling out of place for most of the evening until somehow the night turned out well, but I had to go, because a friend of mine was giving his farewell party (he's going to Spain for half a year). The party there I had the exact same feeling as earlier on the night, so I left prematurely, wishing him a nice stay and such, but I didn't really come home satisfied.

Then I have no clue what I'm going to do later. I'm studying musicology, playing guitar here and there, a bit of work at a callcenter and doing random stuff with friends, but nothing really focused. I always thought I wanted to be a guitar player and I still do, but I give it way too little time. Last year I spent fucking most of time trying to get a band running and we came far, but everything fell apart because our drummer was a jerk, so that's not really going anywhere either. And then today I heard I'm most likely going to get fired before the end of the year. FUCK, there goes my income. I'm going to be really busy next year, with my study, setting up a band again and being the treasurer of my study-association and I need the job to have a steady income.

So; in short, I feel out of place, things are going wrong, I don't have many real friends, I have no clue what the hell I'm doing with my life and I'm going to get fired soon. The school year is starting next year and I'm in no prepared for all the busy stuff that's coming.

Sorry for the huge-ass wall of text. I suppose it doesn't really make sense, this stream-of-consciousness-post, but I just wanted to vent the whole thing.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline wolfandwolfandwolf

• Gym Rat
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Really Scrappy Player
« Reply #1256 on: September 05, 2012, 04:35:40 PM »
This might sound really lame, but I just want to let you guys though that I keep up with this thread and pray for you guys who post some of the stuff you deal with.  If you don't believe in prayer or any higher power, then just know simply that I care for you guys.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1257 on: September 05, 2012, 09:44:31 PM »
Wolf... thanks for the thoughts.  It's nice to know others are thinking good thoughts for you (ie, me... and others).

Rich... damn man.  I think I know what you're feeling.  Wish I had some words of immense wisdom to make it all make sense, but I don't.

Deb... no, I have a job and it's secure - at least until the company decides that *this* strategy isn't working out.  That's part of the problem.  The area I work in is focused on activities that are long-term and strategic.  The benefits we're working on won't pay off for a long time ... 12+ months.  So, as long as the business has the patience and wherewithal to see it through, it will eventually pay off.  Our group President says all the right things that we're committed to this, and need to make it work, but then every 8-12 months, shit hits the fan and we have to shuffle the deck on our structure.  We went through a 3% reduction in people yesterday, which sucks... and one of my team-mates who I really got along well with got left on the outs.  He got screwed, and it pisses me off.

Not sure if I'm making much sense to anyone here, but that's what's going on with work.

No change in friends or family.  Some parts of my week off last week were really nice; some parts sucked monkey balls.  Don't want to really go into details here.

Tricia...  I'm the kind of person that lives by the mantra of 'keep your promises', so the next time I'm in town... I'm buying you and Adam dinner if you're free.

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #1258 on: September 05, 2012, 10:28:07 PM »
:hug: s Rich, wolves, and Mister jingle

Deb... no, I have a job and it's secure - at least until the company decides that *this* strategy isn't working out.  That's part of the problem.  The area I work in is focused on activities that are long-term and strategic.  The benefits we're working on won't pay off for a long time ... 12+ months.  So, as long as the business has the patience and wherewithal to see it through, it will eventually pay off.  Our group President says all the right things that we're committed to this, and need to make it work, but then every 8-12 months, shit hits the fan and we have to shuffle the deck on our structure.  We went through a 3% reduction in people yesterday, which sucks... and one of my team-mates who I really got along well with got left on the outs.  He got screwed, and it pisses me off.

Not sure if I'm making much sense to anyone here, but that's what's going on with work.

No worries, I understood where you were coming from.  That really sucks too, that your job is so tied to what COULD happen down the road but yet you're dealing with the bottom line now.  I'd be so stressed out with that kind of ambiguity.  You have my sincerest sympathies and all of the positive vibes I can muster, mister. :heart

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #1259 on: September 05, 2012, 10:38:49 PM »
This is sort of directed at Elite, but I think it will apply to most of the younger crowd as well.  I think it's well known that I pretty much have my shit together as a person, and most people would consider me very successful in life.  I can honestly say that between the ages of 16 and 26 or so, you will go through phases where you will have your act together, you'll know where you're going in life, and everything is looking rosy; and you will go through phases where you feel like you're spinning tires, don't know where life is going to take you, and feel like you are at the mercy of the fates.  It's all about finding yourself, and defining yourself, and learning to roll with punches and to keep getting up.  I'm not saying that to trivialize what you are going through, but to remind you that you're not the only person who has questioned their own direction and self worth.  Knowing what obstacles lie in your path is the first step to overcoming them.  Not living in a world of self-denial is NOT a bad thing for the most part.  Be honest in your self-assessment, which it seems you are doing, and take steps to remedy them.  Those are things you can control.  Grab life by the balls and squeeze.

As for the shit you can't control, like your stepfather issue...that's just something you have to try to only deal with when you have to.  My parents started the divorce process when I was in college, and it was really hard on my mom, and my sister would lash out at everyone and looked like she was on the verge of becoming a dropout teenage mom.  When you are separated by distance the only thing you can really do is make more of an effort to let them know you still love and care for them, while at the same time try to not let that negative influence infiltrate your life.  If you try giving advice, you'll get the "you're not here, you don't understand" treatment, so don't go there unless it is a matter of safety (stepfather becomes violent).  Everyone has to play out their own life, as you are finding out it can be challenging enough just trying to script your own life.  Which is why I've avoided telling you to do specific things, and stuck to generalities.

and Chad, you know how to reach me if you want/need to.  Cell phone is always a better bet than the office phone.