Author Topic: The Depressed/Angry Thread.  (Read 254642 times)

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: The Depressed/Angry Thread.
« Reply #1995 on: May 05, 2021, 10:48:52 PM »
Sad to say, my grandmas succumbed to her condition and passed away this afternoon. She lasted longer than expected, but I was not able to communicate with her at all during this entire time, and it upsets me.

I have only lost two relatives who I was really close to, and that was back when I was much younger. I didn't get a chance to say goodbye properly, but I felt at the time my last meeting with them was sufficient. I cannot imagine the heartache at not being able to have a proper farewell to a loved one.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #1996 on: July 28, 2021, 10:40:46 PM »
I finally did it. I broke down and actually made an appointment with a company (That I am pretty sure is covered by my insurance, but I will verify tomorrow) for a psych evaluation and then to start seeing a therapist.

It's bullshit how hard this whole process has been. Every time I have sat down to look, I've become overwhelmed and said "fuck it". But today, after talking to my cousin (who is pretty much my rock. We lean on each other a lot), and finding that she did find another therapist and talking about her most recent diagnosis, I decided to dive in again.

Of course, my insurance company's website is shit, and even though I am searching for local providers, 90% of what they show as in network are out of county, but count as local because they offer telehealth visits. I REALLY want to see someone who I can eventually speak to in person, but whatever.

Video appointment with a Psychiatrist is set for Monday, and then I will hopefully find a therapist through the company that I like.

FINGERS CROSSED
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1997 on: July 28, 2021, 10:55:58 PM »
I REALLY want to see someone who I can eventually speak to in person, but whatever.

No whatever about it. Telehealth or whatever they are calling it is not a good option for most people, but during the height of Covid was better than nothing for many. In my humble opinion all therapists should be seeing clients in person, even if it means requiring proof of vaccination, or sitting on opposite sides of the room behind a Donald Sanger type wall*. If seeing someone in person is important to you, then that is would you should pursue. But I also get that therapists are very busy now and maybe you have to take what you can get, as I have hit a dead end with the few places I have reached out to being booked solid.

Adami, if I am out of line, I would like to hear your thoughts from the other side...
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1998 on: July 28, 2021, 11:19:58 PM »
My cousin is a therapist, and she sees it as a good thing as well as a bad thing. The good being the fact that she's able to help people she wouldn't normally be able to. The bad being the fact that there are a lot of people like me.

For my situation, I'll try to book a therapist near me that I'll eventually be able to see, after my meeting with the psychiatrist, but if I can't, I am willing to give full video sessions a chance. 
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1999 on: July 29, 2021, 05:43:24 AM »
I started seeing my therapist when she was living in CT and her office was literally - I could walk - across the street from my apartment.   We really had a connection, so when she moved to California, she gave me the option of continuing our sessions remotely, or she would refer me to a colleague.   I think that relationship is important, so I opted for remote, for telehealth.  This was back in... 2014 I think, so well before COVID (we had a sort of morbid laugh about the controversy about telehealth).   I still see her, an hour a week by video.  Perfect world, sure, we would meet in person and interact, but this has been the most productive therapeutic relationship I've ever been in, so there's no desire to change.

Jay, your post angers me; you should be able to find a therapist as easy as finding a foot doctor.  I've experienced that sort of difficulty in finding a therapist for my stepson and for my daughter (who, through perseverance have both found therapists that have helped them to deal with certain issues). 

As for the notion of losing someone close, I'm NOT a big "closure" guy - I find that concept to be horribly abused by some people, and what they call "closure" is simply an inability to separate from toxic/harmful circumstances - but I will say this:  when I was younger, my aunt (who lived in walking distance to Sandy Hook School, by the way) was dating a guy named Joe who was as an uncle to me.  I loved that guy.  He and my aunt would come to our house and listen to music, and they would take me and my brother to the movies and stuff.   He got cancer, and finally, as a sort of "estate planning" move, married my aunt.  I was told by my parents that he was really excited to be called "Uncle Joe" when they were married.  He got really sick and I only saw him once more, and wasn't sure if they had actually been married at the time, so I called him "Joe" and later found out that they HAD been married at that time.  It bothered me for a LONG time that I never did call him "Uncle Joe" like he wanted.  Sounds so silly in the cold light of day, but it's a big deal to me.  I have come to peace with it, but it's still something I am aware of and think about on occasion.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #2000 on: July 29, 2021, 05:55:00 AM »
Jay... best of luck on finding getting what you need.  I hope it all works out.

Bill... perhaps the tele-sessions are still fruitful because you *started* with the in-person sessions, and developed the relationship from there.  I'm sure it's all very much different starting at tele-health.  Unrelated to mental health, I know the business relationships I have with people I've only met on-screen are different than those that I've known and met in-person.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2001 on: July 29, 2021, 06:20:34 AM »
Jay... best of luck on finding getting what you need.  I hope it all works out.

Bill... perhaps the tele-sessions are still fruitful because you *started* with the in-person sessions, and developed the relationship from there.  I'm sure it's all very much different starting at tele-health.  Unrelated to mental health, I know the business relationships I have with people I've only met on-screen are different than those that I've known and met in-person.

That's a GREAT point.

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2002 on: July 29, 2021, 09:23:09 AM »
wishing everyone in this thread peace, love ,strength and support.

the only thing that stays consistent in life is change, so when its bad it wont stay bad..  it will get better.

Love to all

EV,, out
"its so relieving to know that your leaving as soon as you get paid, Its so relaxing to know that your asking now that you got your way"

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2003 on: August 02, 2021, 09:36:54 PM »
I did the thing.

Had a video appointment with a Psychiatrist today. Cool guy. He wants to prescribe me another med to go with my SSRI, but is going to wait until my appointment next week, as he wants to touch bases with my primary doc regarding my Blood Pressure and the possibility of the new meds interacting with my BP meds.

After my next appointment, he's going to help me find a therapist in his office network thing if I haven't found one.

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #2004 on: August 03, 2021, 10:40:36 AM »

the only thing that stays consistent in life is change, so when its bad it wont stay bad..  it will get better.

Love to all

EV,, out

Sorry my friend, but in this day and age, change is never for the better and when something good does happen, it never lasts.  Leave it up to the decisions of so-called leaders who always make sure that people never get too much of a good thing.  I am just fed the fuck up.  >:(
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2005 on: August 03, 2021, 01:05:11 PM »
I did the thing.

Had a video appointment with a Psychiatrist today. Cool guy. He wants to prescribe me another med to go with my SSRI, but is going to wait until my appointment next week, as he wants to touch bases with my primary doc regarding my Blood Pressure and the possibility of the new meds interacting with my BP meds.

After my next appointment, he's going to help me find a therapist in his office network thing if I haven't found one.

Good for you.  I hope this continues to help you feel better.

Offline Dublagent66

• DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #2006 on: August 03, 2021, 03:50:45 PM »

Love to all

EV,, out

Sorry my friend, but in this day and age, change is never for the better and when something good does happen, it never lasts.  Leave it up to the decisions of so-called leaders who always make sure that people never get too much of a good thing.  I am just fed the fuck up.  >:(

Actually, what you said is somewhat true my friend.  I did have some bad turn to good unexpectedly today.  We'll see how long it lasts.  Change for the better is rare, but still happens.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2007 on: August 04, 2021, 07:01:27 AM »

Love to all

EV,, out

Actually, what you said is somewhat true my friend.  I did have some bad turn to good unexpectedly today.  We'll see how long it lasts.  Change for the better is rare, but still happens.

I don't agree with that.  If we don't change, we stagnate, and we die.  That's what I believe. 

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2008 on: August 04, 2021, 11:34:20 AM »

Love to all

EV,, out

I don't agree with that.  If we don't change, we stagnate, and we die.  That's what I believe.

I don't agree with it either, not all change is good but change is often necessary. 

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2009 on: August 04, 2021, 01:21:37 PM »

Love to all

EV,, out

I don't agree with it either, not all change is good but change is often necessary.

Even bad change is sometimes what we need, not what we want.  I didn't WANT to be divorced, but I don't know where I'd be if I didn't.   Nowhere good, that's for damn sure.

Offline Dublagent66

• DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #2010 on: August 04, 2021, 02:29:38 PM »

Love to all

EV,, out

Depends on the change.  I never said change wasn't necessary.  I'm talking about change brought on by a decision that someone made affecting my life.  That is usually never a good thing.  However, change in my life that is decided by me has a better chance of succeeding and usually does.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2011 on: August 04, 2021, 02:57:49 PM »

Love to all

EV,, out

Depends on the change.  I never said change wasn't necessary.  I'm talking about change brought on by a decision that someone made affecting my life.  That is usually never a good thing.  However, change in my life that is decided by me has a better chance of succeeding and usually does.

I know what I want to say, but no idea how to say it. This is best said man-to-man with a comforting hand on your shoulder.  :) :)

But... that's a distinction I've tried to remove from my life.  EVERYONE'S decisions around me impact me in some way, and I have to take life as it comes.  Judging it as "good" or "bad" is, for me, counterproductive.  It's not easy, of course, but for me I try to accept the change for what it is - an objective reality I have to deal with - and find the positive to accentuate, and the negative to minimize.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2012 on: August 07, 2021, 06:06:22 PM »
Well it's been about 4 weeks since I started Sertraline Anti Depressants. Weirdly everyone told me they take 3 weeks to work - but the 2 weeks after I started were really great for whatever reason.

Ironically after the allotted '3 weeks' I was feeling really bad again.

I've not had any really horrible dark days though. They've mostly been medium.

I actually asked my doc if I could have them 'just to get me through the busy season at work' - and he was like 'well you'll be on them for a minimum of 9 months'

I was like :p oh.

Online ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2013 on: August 07, 2021, 06:32:31 PM »
I'm glad to hear that you aren't having any dark days and are sticking to it :tup. Thank you for the update :)

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2014 on: August 08, 2021, 04:38:11 AM »
I'm glad to hear that you aren't having any dark days and are sticking to it :tup. Thank you for the update :)

Yeah, this is good news David. Keep at it.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2015 on: August 08, 2021, 11:31:08 AM »
Maybe I need to slightly up the dosage as I seem to be mostly medium but still neither really happy or hopeless.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2016 on: August 08, 2021, 05:12:20 PM »
Speaking from my personal experience:

1) Don't be so quick to tweak dosage. You are working on a long-term adjustment, not a quick fix.

2) When I was on SSRIs, I found myself regulated between extreme highs and extreme lows. I noticed I might not be as happy in certain instances as I would have been prior, but those times were few and far between the times I was really low, so the payoff was worth it.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #2017 on: August 08, 2021, 05:41:58 PM »
Maybe I need to slightly up the dosage as I seem to be mostly medium but still neither really happy or hopeless.

SSRIs usually take 6 or so weeks to kick it fully. Give it a few months chance to see the full impact.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Dublagent66

• DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #2018 on: August 09, 2021, 10:38:07 AM »
Reducing my dosage of other people usually works pretty well.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2019 on: August 09, 2021, 01:02:01 PM »

Yes. :)

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2020 on: August 09, 2021, 07:13:57 PM »

That's awesome, I am going to use this!

Offline Dublagent66

• DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #2021 on: August 10, 2021, 02:22:40 PM »
Can you dig it?  I knew that you could!   :tup

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2022 on: August 16, 2021, 07:33:32 PM »
Another step done.

Made my first therapist appointment. It's not for like 3 weeks... But it's scheduled!

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2023 on: August 17, 2021, 05:26:08 PM »
« Last Edit: August 17, 2021, 05:38:16 PM by Kotowboy »

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2024 on: September 03, 2021, 10:19:52 AM »
Welp... Had my first appointment with a therapist. I like her so far. I  have 3 more appointments booked for the month. We'll see how things go.

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2025 on: September 03, 2021, 12:52:06 PM »
Why the “welp” then?

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2026 on: September 03, 2021, 07:52:14 PM »
Why the “welp” then?

I didn't even realize I said that :lol

I'm just so used to being negative I guess

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2027 on: September 03, 2021, 09:15:26 PM »
And speaking from experience, that's the problem. We get so used to feeling a certain way, that it becomes normal, and we can't imagine looking at things any differently.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #2028 on: September 04, 2021, 06:59:04 AM »
And speaking from experience, that's the problem. We get so used to feeling a certain way, that it becomes normal, and we can't imagine looking at things any differently.

fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2029 on: September 04, 2021, 07:10:25 AM »
:dunno: Nah i'd love to be happy. honestly. but literally nothing works. nothing.