Author Topic: Jeff Buckley  (Read 10815 times)

Offline TheVoxyn

• "The X makes it sound cool"
  • DTF.org Alumni
Jeff Buckley
« on: January 29, 2010, 07:53:24 PM »
I was suprised to discover that there wasn't a thread for him, so here it is.

Grace is one of my all-time favourite albums, I can never seem to get enough of it.
Jeff had such an amazing voice, so sad his life ended so early...
« Last Edit: January 30, 2010, 02:28:28 PM by TheVoxyn »

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
Re: Jeff Buckley
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2010, 08:08:27 PM »
Man, I've heard some horror stories about what iskey does to laptos.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Offline Arcaeus

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2010, 08:19:54 PM »
every time I try to listen to Jeff Buckley that awful Watchmen sex scene haunts my dreams

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2010, 11:58:34 PM »
Why? They didn't use his version of the song. If they did the scene would've been 100x better.

Offline grendel

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2010, 05:52:58 AM »
 :facepalm: shame on u people ! i really didn't know there wasnt a topic about him. that way i would be honored to make  it!  shame on you :D! his works are sooooooooooo beautiful

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2010, 05:57:13 AM »
Jeff Buckley was truly amazing. 
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2010, 06:11:52 AM »
Does anyone here have Live at Sin E? I've wanted to buy that for a long time, but it's always really expensive, so I always hold back. Is it very good? I find JB's live show was a real mixed bag. He could create towering new versions of some of his songs, and just throw others to the dogs.

Offline TheVoxyn

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2010, 02:23:38 PM »
I'll edit the OP, as I feel ashamed to give one of my favourite artists a thread like this :p.

I'm looking at getting Grace on vinyl. Top 10 album for me, maybe top 5.

Offline shadowfex

« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2010, 04:30:55 PM »
Amazing vocalist taken far too young. There has been a thread about him not too long ago just FYI.
"Once he had forests and mountains that were only his - listening to him. Once he would run through the summer days catching memories for ages to come. Now he is dressing this naked floor with his flesh and blood, and time passes by. His trade of pain might just have lead him to deal with consequence for some change as time passes by"

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2010, 03:02:05 AM »
Does anyone here have Live at Sin E? I've wanted to buy that for a long time, but it's always really expensive, so I always hold back. Is it very good? I find JB's live show was a real mixed bag. He could create towering new versions of some of his songs, and just throw others to the dogs.

I have the Legacy Edition (the entire set from that night as opposed to the 3-4 songs that are on the original EP release.) if thats what you mean.  I'd recommend it, for sure.  Its just guitar and vocals, but there are some amazing covers on there.  Night Flight, Strange Fruit, the Dylan covers, The Way Young Lovers Do are all excellent.  Strange Fruit has some rare lead guitar playing from him, which you don't hear very often in his other recordings, and there's an awesome Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan song on there that he sings in some foreign language, its pretty fun to listen to.  The between song banter is pretty entertaining too. 

TL;DR:  Get the album. 

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2010, 03:36:52 AM »
Sweet, cheers sneaky.

Yeah, if I buy it, I'll definitely get the whole set version.

It's strange, considering how much of his output that album has ended up representing, you never hear anyone talking about it.

Also, I found this a few months ago, hadn't heard of it until then. Hardly a brilliant song, but it's an interesting listen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ui3JZkITEkA

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2010, 03:44:21 AM »
Wow, that was lovely.

Offline TheVoxyn

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2010, 07:25:22 AM »
I ordered live at sin-e a while ago, still hasn't arrived though. Can't wait to listen to it. I hadn't really listened to Buckley a few weeks ago, but he is one of my absolute favorite artists now.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2010, 01:16:20 PM »
i have his cd copy of Led Zeppelin IV  ;D

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2010, 01:19:50 PM »
Wha??

Offline TheVoxyn

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2010, 04:12:07 PM »
Wha??

What are your favorite songs?
Right now I'm totally in love with 'Lover, you should have come over'. Can listened to it on repeat for ages without getting bored with it.

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2010, 05:33:14 PM »
Wha??

Right now I'm totally in love with 'Lover, you should have come over'. Can listened to it on repeat for ages without getting bored with it.

That song is awesome.  I love how he can imitate the sound of a huge black choir backing with his overdubs.  My favourite Buckley songs are probably Mojo Pin, Grace and Vancouver.  Although Grace the album is such a masterpiece its hard to decide.

You're gonna love Sin-E.  Stripped back Buckley, awesome covers, buns of steel (something like a 3 hour set). 

Offline TheVoxyn

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2010, 05:34:27 PM »
Wha??

That song is awesome.  I love how he can imitate the sound of a huge black choir backing with his overdubs.  My favourite Buckley songs are probably Mojo Pin, Grace and Vancouver.  Although Grace the album is such a masterpiece its hard to decide.

You're gonna love Sin-E.  Stripped back Buckley, awesome covers, buns of steel (something like a 3 hour set). 
I really cannot wait for it to arrive. I've read a lot of awesome things about it and I seem to love anything Buckley lately.

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2010, 05:41:19 PM »
Wha??

I really cannot wait for it to arrive. I've read a lot of awesome things about it and I seem to love anything Buckley lately.

Yeah man.  I just got the Grace Around the World DVD which is pretty great too, I'd recommend that.  I'd never seen footage of him on the road or in concert before, it seems like a pretty honest documentation.  He can talk a lot of pretentious shite though. :lol

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2010, 07:10:33 PM »
Wha??

I won it in a contest. Jeff's estate gave it away among other things. It came with a notice that confirms it from his Estate, and the booklet includes a stamp of approval on the front.

I imagine Led Zeppelin IV was a disc Jeff got a lot of mile-age out of given the LZ influence on his music.

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2010, 08:04:59 PM »
Wha??

I won it in a contest. Jeff's estate gave it away among other things. It came with a notice that confirms it from his Estate, and the booklet includes a stamp of approval on the front.

I imagine Led Zeppelin IV was a disc Jeff got a lot of mile-age out of given the LZ influence on his music.

That's awesome!

Offline brakkum

• DT.net Member
  • Bass Boy
« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2010, 09:52:26 PM »
If you don't like Jeff Buckley you don't like real music.

Not really I guess but that's the way I feel about Jeff's music.
His cover of Bob Dylan's Mama You've Been On My Mind is simply fantastic.
https://concertculture.blogspot.com/

https://brakmusic.tumblr.com/

And on the 8th day, God created Dream Theater. God then proceeded to rock out with his cock out.

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2010, 10:21:45 PM »
I don't think I've come across a Dylan cover by Jeff that I didn't like.  In the Sin-e booklet his mama talks about a gig where he played Wind Cries Mary and dedicated it to her.  I would LOVE to hear that.

Offline brakkum

• DT.net Member
  • Bass Boy
« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2010, 11:23:30 PM »
I don't think I've come across a Dylan cover by Jeff that I didn't like.  In the Sin-e booklet his mama talks about a gig where he played Wind Cries Mary and dedicated it to her.  I would LOVE to hear that.

Just making sure you know Wind Cries MAry is a Hendrix tune. I'm sure you do know that, but the way you worded it had me worried for a moment.
https://concertculture.blogspot.com/

https://brakmusic.tumblr.com/

And on the 8th day, God created Dream Theater. God then proceeded to rock out with his cock out.

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #24 on: February 07, 2010, 11:25:57 PM »

Just making sure you know Wind Cries MAry is a Hendrix tune.
:millahhhh

:lol

Offline TheVoxyn

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #25 on: February 19, 2010, 09:38:19 AM »
Live at Sin-E finally arrived. Been listening to it all day, it's pretty awesome.

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #26 on: February 19, 2010, 01:18:10 PM »
After reading Neal Peart's book, Traveling music, I picked up a copy of Grace. Its a great album indeed. My question is, how many albums did he make?
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #27 on: February 19, 2010, 02:38:44 PM »
His only officially released studio album is Grace.

Sketches for my Sweetheart the Drunk contains all the work he did for his second album before he died. There are about 11 or 12 tracks which are more or less 'complete', and another 10 that are just him tossing about at home.

He also has quite a few live albums, I think all released after he died. I know of Live at Sin E, Live at L'Olympia, and Mystery White Boy.

Offline kirbywelch92

« Reply #28 on: February 19, 2010, 03:15:28 PM »
Just got done listening to "Eternal Life." Amazing song! Truly unique considering the rest of the tracks on the album.

Offline TheVoxyn

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #29 on: February 19, 2010, 05:16:53 PM »
Too bad btw that Sketches for my Sweetheart the Drunk was never finished, there is some interesting stuff on there.

Offline emindead

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #30 on: February 19, 2010, 05:23:07 PM »
Wow, if you look right now at my guitar you can see there's my capo on the 5th fret because I was learning "Hallelujah". DTF, you are creepy. You read my mind and my actions.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #31 on: February 20, 2010, 11:14:38 AM »
I know of Live at Sin E

and Live at Bataclan were both live EPs that were released before he died.

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #32 on: February 25, 2010, 12:18:06 PM »
I might as well use this thread to ask this, cos I doubt anyone will have checked him out other than through Jeff.

Is anyone here a fan of Tim Buckley (Jeff's pop)? I've had a handful of songs of his for years, and finally went out and bought some albums a few months ago. Goodbye and Hello is a mixed bag, some brilliant stuff and some so-so, and Happy Sad is stellar start to finish.

For those who are completely new to him, he started in folk, but went very experimental as soon as he got to his second album - slowly moved to avant-garde-ey jazz folk, then eventually to funk or soul or whatever you might call it. And unlike most folk singers, who use very 'earthly' vocals, he could sing like three bastards, though his voice is quite different to Jeff's.

Great starting song would be I Never Asked to Be Your Mountain. I'm sure it's on YouTube.

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #33 on: February 25, 2010, 02:41:45 PM »
I bought Goodbye and hello, but I can't say it ever clicked. I like I never asked to be your mountain and Dolphins. I imagine they were towards the latter part of his career

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #34 on: February 26, 2010, 01:18:05 PM »
I Never Asked... is on Goodbye and Hello ???

If you wanna hear something interesting, check out a track of his called Gypsy Woman. 12 minutes of freak-out blues-ey folk jazz. With conga drums.