Author Topic: Big Big Train v. "The Likes Of Us" OUT NOW; European Tour Sept/Oct 2024!  (Read 112503 times)

Offline HOF

Saw this news earlier this morning, but can’t copy and paste from FB on my phone for some reason.

Honestly, I had a premonition this was coming. Oskar seemed like such a great fit during the recent live shows. His voice goes well with Alberto’s, and he also brings some exciting compositional skills judging by Dim Gray’s latest (anyone who hasn’t checked that out really ought to). I may actually prefer his voice to Bravin’s. I think he’s an exciting addition to the band.

Carly will be missed though, and I was really excited to see where the band might have gone with her in it. But I think she may have complimented David better than Alberto. It’s cool that she’s staying with the label to release her solo album, and maybe there will still be opportunities for collaboration with the band or at least band members in the future.

Offline Kram

Saw this news earlier this morning, but can’t copy and paste from FB on my phone for some reason.

Honestly, I had a premonition this was coming. Oskar seemed like such a great fit during the recent live shows. His voice goes well with Alberto’s, and he also brings some exciting compositional skills judging by Dim Gray’s latest (anyone who hasn’t checked that out really ought to). I may actually prefer his voice to Bravin’s. I think he’s an exciting addition to the band.

Carly will be missed though, and I was really excited to see where the band might have gone with her in it. But I think she may have complimented David better than Alberto. It’s cool that she’s staying with the label to release her solo album, and maybe there will still be opportunities for collaboration with the band or at least band members in the future.
I had a premonition this could happen as well.  Especially with Oskar performing on Last Eleven.

Offline The Letter M

https://youtu.be/gM4rmPS_2vI

Ingenious Devices brings together "East Coast Racer", "Brooklands", and "Voyager" with new strings and other additions, as well as a new piece "The Book Of Ingenious Devices" linking the first two. In addition to the three studio epics, a live version of "Atlantic Cable" from last year's tour with Alberto on vocals.

EDIT - Looks like the video was posted prematurely and the band doesn't plan to officially reveal it until next week. Whoops...

-Marc.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2023, 06:25:39 AM by The Letter M »
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline HOF

Ingenious Devices brings together "East Coast Racer", "Brooklands", and "Voyager" with new strings and other additions, as well as a new piece "The Book Of Ingenious Devices" linking the first two. In addition to the three studio epics, a live version of "Atlantic Cable" from last year's tour with Alberto on vocals.

EDIT - Looks like the video was posted prematurely and the band doesn't plan to officially reveal it until next week. Whoops...

-Marc.

Nice! Missed the video (it’s private now), but this sounds like a fun release. Now that think of it, Atlantic Cable was also meant to be in that same vein as the others I guess.

Offline Kram

-Marc.

Nice! Missed the video (it’s private now), but this sounds like a fun release. Now that think of it, Atlantic Cable was also meant to be in that same vein as the others I guess.
Sounds very exciting!  These are literally some of my favorite songs of all-time by anyone!

Offline The Letter M

-Marc.

Sounds very exciting!  These are literally some of my favorite songs of all-time by anyone!

Same, these epics are some of the band's best songs and some of my favorites as well, and it'll be great to hear a live version of "Atlantic Cable" as well.

Since the video announcement was posted prematurely and the pre-order links to BurningShed and TheBandWagonUSA weren't live yet (I was told the delay in the official announcement was because BurningShed asked the band to hold off a week), I wonder if the version of "Brooklands" on this album will be the extended version with "On The Racing Line" (as seen on The Second Brightest Star, the "Brooklands Sequence" 17:33) of it it's just the version from Folklore (at 12:38). Either way, it's still very exciting to hear these tracks with new parts and added strings.

When most bands do this kind of stuff, it can feel like a cash-grab or a stop-gap between major releases, but with the care and polish that BBT put into each release, this feels like a genuine album, and to toss in new material AND a live track from last year makes it feel extra special. I suppose releasing this probably means we might not get a new studio album this year, and I'm fine with that. I'd love to see one of the 2022 shows released in full later this year, though. Hearing the band's line-up from last year would be a great primer for their first studio album together, especially now that we know last year's tour line-up IS the current studio line-up.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline HOF

I’m also wondering if The Book of Ingenious Devices is an instrumental. Maybe that will replace On The Racing Line (or repurpose it) since it is meant to link ECR and Brooklands.

Offline The Letter M

I’m also wondering if The Book of Ingenious Devices is an instrumental. Maybe that will replace On The Racing Line (or repurpose it) since it is meant to link ECR and Brooklands.

The blurb in the video description said that it is "a previously unreleased orchestral piece... which links East Coast Racer and Brooklands." Sounds like it'll be instrumental, and possibly all strings.

Other notes about the album include:
-All three songs feature an elite 17 piece string section recorded at Abbey Road Studios in London
-Longdon's vocals have been compiled from original album sessions
-ECR is a completely new studio version recorded by the line-up in 2019
-Brooklands features newly recorded drums, bass, and bass pedals
-Voyager has additional guitar and violin
-All three songs have been remixed

-Marc.

Offline Kram

The blurb in the video description said that it is "a previously unreleased orchestral piece... which links East Coast Racer and Brooklands." Sounds like it'll be instrumental, and possibly all strings.

-All three songs feature an elite 17 piece string section recorded at Abbey Road Studios in London

-Marc.
Very excited about this.  Interesting that they completely re-recorded ECR.

And I love Atlantic Cable as well - so a live version with Alberto is very welcomed by me.

Offline HOF

-Marc.

And I love Atlantic Cable as well - so a live version with Alberto is very welcomed by me.

I think it was mentioned somewhere before, but part of the reason for re-recording ECR might have been to include the alternate ending that they include when they play it live.

Offline Kram

-Marc.

I think it was mentioned somewhere before, but part of the reason for re-recording ECR might have been to include the alternate ending that they include when they play it live.
With the guitar solo?

Offline HOF

Right, that whole extended outro with the solo. I’m speculating, but I’m thinking that’s what they’ll do.

Offline The Letter M

Right, that whole extended outro with the solo. I’m speculating, but I’m thinking that’s what they’ll do.

Makes sense, especially since it's the 2019 line-up re-recording it and they've been playing it live that way for years at that point.

-Marc.

Offline HOF

So today's Passenger's Club update is a demo of the new arrangement of Summer's Lease that was played at Loreley. An interesting note from Greg accompanying the demo:

"Moving forward, we are looking to revisit some more early BBT songs and will be aiming to incorporate material from the whole history of the band into live shows."

Will be interesting to see how much they can include, but they'll maybe have sort of a rotating setlist like they did on this last tour. The Shipping Forecast would be great to hear done with the current band.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2023, 02:14:22 PM by HOF »

Offline Kram

Makes sense, especially since it's the 2019 line-up re-recording it and they've been playing it live that way for years at that point.

-Marc.
The 2019 lineup is re-recording it or the current lineup?  I'm missing something here.

Offline HOF

-Marc.
The 2019 lineup is re-recording it or the current lineup?  I'm missing something here.

These recordings were done back in 2019 or 2020 before Grand Tour I believe. At least the string sessions were done back then, and I know the band had previously announced they were re-recording East Coast Racer in that timeframe. So the lineup is going to be the band that featured Dave Longdon, Dave Gregory, Danny Manners, and Rachel Hall.

Offline The Letter M

-Marc.

These recordings were done back in 2019 or 2020 before Grand Tour I believe. At least the string sessions were done back then, and I know the band had previously announced they were re-recording East Coast Racer in that timeframe. So the lineup is going to be the band that featured Dave Longdon, Dave Gregory, Danny Manners, and Rachel Hall.

As far as I know, this is correct. The version of "East Coast Racer" on the album "is a completely new studio version recorded by the line-up of the band as it was in 2019.", word for word from the YouTube video description (I managed to screenshot it on my phone before it was privated). Of course, more will be revealed next week when it is officially unveiled by the band (and not accidentally uploaded on YouTube).

-Marc.

Offline Kram

-Marc.

As far as I know, this is correct. The version of "East Coast Racer" on the album "is a completely new studio version recorded by the line-up of the band as it was in 2019.", word for word from the YouTube video description (I managed to screenshot it on my phone before it was privated). Of course, more will be revealed next week when it is officially unveiled by the band (and not accidentally uploaded on YouTube).

-Marc.
Interesting.  Well that is the best lineup of the band as far as I'm concerned.  I'm curious if David Longdon re-recorded the vocal tracks as well.

Offline The Letter M

-Marc.

-Marc.
Interesting.  Well that is the best lineup of the band as far as I'm concerned.  I'm curious if David Longdon re-recorded the vocal tracks as well.

-Marc.

From the video description, it was stated that Longdon's vocals were from their respective original album sessions.

-Marc.

Offline The Letter M

https://bigbigtrain.bandcamp.com/album/ingenious-devices

Bandcamp link has gone live, as I just saw a fellow Passenger post about it in the BBT Facebook group. Not sure if it's *supposed* to be yet or not, but there it is!

EDIT - https://burningshed.com/store/bigbigtrain
https://thebandwagonusa.com/collections/big-big-train

Pre-order links are live at Burning Shed and The Band Wagon USA. And the previously linked YouTube video also is live (again).

-Marc.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2023, 06:33:55 AM by The Letter M »

Offline HOF

Excellent! Here is the now live again trailer:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?fbclid=IwAR3caBZVLZEKXVA5xqrf-TRFEh4BaHHiMXqF4FBnRdQEl2ZCfvpj66Ve6R8&v=gM4rmPS_2vI&feature=youtu.be

Sounds great! June 30th seems a long way off. Too bad since the bandcamp link also mentions April, but I’m guessing that is a mistake.

Offline The Letter M

https://m.youtube.com/watch?fbclid=IwAR3caBZVLZEKXVA5xqrf-TRFEh4BaHHiMXqF4FBnRdQEl2ZCfvpj66Ve6R8&v=gM4rmPS_2vI&feature=youtu.be

Sounds great! June 30th seems a long way off. Too bad since the bandcamp link also mentions April, but I’m guessing that is a mistake.

Greg said on Facebook that bandcamp doesn't allow preorders longer than 90 days out, so that is not correct. It's definitely coming out in June.

-Marc.

Offline Kram

-Marc.

-Marc.

-Marc.

From the video description, it was stated that Longdon's vocals were from their respective original album sessions.

-Marc.
Oops.... missed that part.

Offline Kram

That section of Brooklands sounds sick - and they got me again, goosebumps with the ECR climax. The whole thing sounds amazing!

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni

Offline The Letter M

That section of Brooklands sounds sick - and they got me again, goosebumps with the ECR climax. The whole thing sounds amazing!

I keep coming back to the trailer and am just in awe as to how good it all sounds. The 17-piece strings really add a whole new dimension to their music. June 30th can't arrive soon enough!

-Marc.

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
I got my Passengers Club shirt yesterday. Does anyone know if it's good quality or if it will shrink after 2 washes?
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline HOF

I got my Passengers Club shirt yesterday. Does anyone know if it's good quality or if it will shrink after 2 washes?

I’d say everything this band does is of the highest quality, but I can’t actually speak for the merchandise! Not really a band shirt guy myself.

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
I'm sure it's top quality, as you said  :smiley:

Offline The Letter M

I've only worn mine once or twice so it hasn't gone through the wash a lot yet, but of the nine total BBT shirts I own, they've all held up so far. If it fits now it should still fit by the 100th wear, barring any changes to your body.

-Marc.

Offline Kram

I keep coming back to the trailer and am just in awe as to how good it all sounds. The 17-piece strings really add a whole new dimension to their music. June 30th can't arrive soon enough!

-Marc.
I do as well and I'm just listening to in on my crappy laptop speakers. Can't wait to get it on a good system.

Offline The Curious Orange

• Lord of the Night
Carly was the most interesting thing to happen to BBT for years, she really brought a new dimension to the band and I was intrigued to hear what she'd contribute next.
"And if love remains, though everything is lost,
We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost..."

Offline The Letter M

Carly was the most interesting thing to happen to BBT for years, she really brought a new dimension to the band and I was intrigued to hear what she'd contribute next.

Same, I am a bit bummed that she's decided to depart, but at the same time I look forward to her solo album, which wouldn't surprise me if she had some BBT members make an appearance.

At least we've got two albums with Carly, including her brilliant title track on WTTP.

-Marc.

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
Some interesting stuff in the recent newsletter.

https://www.facebook.com/bigbigtrain

I'm especially excited about the new podcast, Big Express, starting on February 16.

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
Laser CD has the new CD up for pre-order now too. Shipping was a tad cheaper so I ordered from there. Now the long wait starts.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history