Author Topic: Big Big Train v. "The Likes Of Us" OUT NOW; European Tour Sept/Oct 2024!  (Read 112717 times)

Online HOF

I picked up English Electric Full Power a month or two ago and it's become one of me all-time favorites.  I assumed the first half was part one and the second half part two.  But I was just looking around on their Bandcamp site, and it appears that's not the case.  It looks like they just mixed the two albums together and created a completely different running order.  I find it interesting that they did that.

I believe the reason for the new running order was partly because they wanted it to flow more as one piece rather than two complete individual pieces put together, but also (maybe more) because they added three new tracks to give people some incentive to buy the Full Power release (they also released those tracks on the Make Some Noise EP so people didn’t have to buy the two disc set to get all of the new songs).
I knew about the additional songs but had no idea which ones they were, and when I looked to see which were the bonus songs, that's when I noticed the new running order.  They did a great job IMO.  It plays like one real long epic - incredible stuff!

It’s funny because I came aboard with Full Power and never heard the individual EE albums. For me starting out with First Rebreather seems awkward, but a lot of people were upset with them starting Full Power with Make Some Noise. To me, that’s a really fun way to kick off the album, even if it is a bit out of character with the rest of the material. It’s a great song.

I believe the reason for the new running order was partly because they wanted it to flow more as one piece rather than two complete individual pieces put together, but also (maybe more) because they added three new tracks to give people some incentive to buy the Full Power release (they also released those tracks on the Make Some Noise EP so people didn’t have to buy the two disc set to get all of the new songs).

I believe it was four new songs from the EP:
Make Some Noise
Seen Better Days
Edgelands
The Lovers

The EP also included two new edits - "Keeper Of Abbeys (Branch Line Edition)" and "Curator Of Butterflies (Branch Line Edition)", only available on the EP.

That’s right. I just miscounted when I was looking at the Wikipedia page for the EP. Come to think of it, I’ve never heard the edits on the EP. I should check those out sometime.

Offline Kram

[quote author=HOF link=topic=34565.msg2849078#msg2849078 date=1642366390

Did you get the 2016 remaster? I got the original 2013 limited edition digibook (which comes with a THICK 70-page booklet inside the case, making it one of the thickest digibook albums I own), but last year I acquired the 2016 remaster digitally and the dynamic range was definitely improved. That isn't to say the original 2013 version is a brick-walled mess, but the remaster brings the songs closer in line with their post-EE albums in terms of DR.
I ended up getting this hi-res digital download - https://bigbigtrain.bandcamp.com/album/english-electric-full-power-hi-resolution-audio  Is this the 2016 remaster?  It sounds incredible!

Online HOF

Been thinking about the band’s future some more, and how they might go about moving forward with Nick as the primary vocalist. Something I’ve always thought was that Nick’s voice would really suit the early material sung by Martin Reed. Of the four early albums (not including Bard), Goodby to the Age of Steam sounds the most dated and low budget. I would love to see the band reinterpret that with the current lineup and with Nick on vocals. It might not be worth the investment if they would rather move forward with new stuff, but it feels like they could probably knock it out fairly easily and breath some new life into what I think is a really cool record that just needs a little shining up. And it would give Nick an album’s worth of material as the front man if they do go on to tour later this year as planned.

That said, I’m also curious to hear the new track sung by Carly to see how her voice might fit in more of a lead role. I do think she, Nick, and Rikard could handle new material going forward just fine. The bigger challenge would be finding someone to pull off David’s songs live. Which is why I think it would be good to get something out with the new vocalist(s) before touring again.

Offline Kram

I picked up English Electric Full Power a month or two ago and it's become one of me all-time favorites.  I assumed the first half was part one and the second half part two.  But I was just looking around on their Bandcamp site, and it appears that's not the case.  It looks like they just mixed the two albums together and created a completely different running order.  I find it interesting that they did that.

I knew about the additional songs but had no idea which ones they were, and when I looked to see which were the bonus songs, that's when I noticed the new running order.  They did a great job IMO.  It plays like one real long epic - incredible stuff!

It’s funny because I came aboard with Full Power and never heard the individual EE albums. For me starting out with First Rebreather seems awkward, but a lot of people were upset with them starting Full Power with Make Some Noise. To me, that’s a really fun way to kick off the album, even if it is a bit out of character with the rest of the material. It’s a great song.
Honestly, I like Make Some Noise, and it is a fun tune - but I do agree that it kind of does sound "out of place" with the rest of the material.

Offline Kram

As for the running order, once EEFP was released, I all but abandoned listening to the individual EE albums and stuck with the Full Power version. It's just nice to have all 19 songs in one go, and with the new order and segues, it just flows to perfectly from start to finish. Making "East Coast Racer" the penultimate track was a brilliant move, and I like how they kept "Hedgerow" and "Curator Of Butterflies" as the closing tracks of each half. The album is incredibly well-balanced and is probably one of my top 10 albums of all time.
Yes, it's become one of my all-time favorites as well - the flow is perfect and I too like "East Coast Racer" as the 2nd to last track, as it allows Curator of Butterflies to bring you back down after the amazing crescendo in East Coast Racer.

Online The Letter M

[quote author=HOF link=topic=34565.msg2849078#msg2849078 date=1642366390

Did you get the 2016 remaster? I got the original 2013 limited edition digibook (which comes with a THICK 70-page booklet inside the case, making it one of the thickest digibook albums I own), but last year I acquired the 2016 remaster digitally and the dynamic range was definitely improved. That isn't to say the original 2013 version is a brick-walled mess, but the remaster brings the songs closer in line with their post-EE albums in terms of DR.
I ended up getting this hi-res digital download - https://bigbigtrain.bandcamp.com/album/english-electric-full-power-hi-resolution-audio  Is this the 2016 remaster?  It sounds incredible!

I th ink that version is just a hi-res version of the original master, so it probably does sound great, but it's not the 2016 remaster (the bottom of the page says it was "released in 2013", so I believe it to be the original mastering).

Honestly, I like Make Some Noise, and it is a fun tune - but I do agree that it kind of does sound "out of place" with the rest of the material.

At the time, it did feel a bit out of place, but now that we've gotten other songs like "Alive" and "The Strangest Times", it doesn't seem TOO odd or out of place as an up-beat and accessible opening song. It's honestly one of my favorites from the EE-era, and I'm glad it made the cut for EEFP.

Been thinking about the band’s future some more, and how they might go about moving forward with Nick as the primary vocalist. Something I’ve always thought was that Nick’s voice would really suit the early material sung by Martin Reed. Of the four early albums (not including Bard), Goodby to the Age of Steam sounds the most dated and low budget. I would love to see the band reinterpret that with the current lineup and with Nick on vocals. It might not be worth the investment if they would rather move forward with new stuff, but it feels like they could probably knock it out fairly easily and breath some new life into what I think is a really cool record that just needs a little shining up. And it would give Nick an album’s worth of material as the front man if they do go on to tour later this year as planned.

That said, I’m also curious to hear the new track sung by Carly to see how her voice might fit in more of a lead role. I do think she, Nick, and Rikard could handle new material going forward just fine. The bigger challenge would be finding someone to pull off David’s songs live. Which is why I think it would be good to get something out with the new vocalist(s) before touring again.

That's an interesting idea, and I'm sure they had some of those early songs earmarked for re-recording back when they were working on the multi-disc Station Masters project, which would've seen the EE/Folkspound line-up re-record songs from their catalog for a compilation, but it seems that that project has been abandoned in recent years. I think since Folklore, the band have been constantly moving forward and wanting to pursue new music and not really look back. Other than The Underfall Yard, they've not really revisited any of their older albums since 2017, especially since they remastered/remixed/released all but Bard from their pre-Longdon days, although Greg has said in the last couple of years that a Bard remix/remaster/re-issue was coming soon, though given the current state of the band, who knows if that'll happen now.

Granted, they could take this time to rework Bard and, like you suggest, get Nick, Rikard, and Carly to sing on older tunes if they want to tour and do a sort of Retro-BBT setilst while they work out who will fill David's shoes as main frontman. It might be interesting to hear more of their pre-Longdon songs played by the current line-up, especially since we've only really heard "Wind Distorted Pioneers" and "Summer's Lease", not counting "Kingmaker".

As for the running order, once EEFP was released, I all but abandoned listening to the individual EE albums and stuck with the Full Power version. It's just nice to have all 19 songs in one go, and with the new order and segues, it just flows to perfectly from start to finish. Making "East Coast Racer" the penultimate track was a brilliant move, and I like how they kept "Hedgerow" and "Curator Of Butterflies" as the closing tracks of each half. The album is incredibly well-balanced and is probably one of my top 10 albums of all time.
Yes, it's become one of my all-time favorites as well - the flow is perfect and I too like "East Coast Racer" as the 2nd to last track, as it allows Curator of Butterflies to bring you back down after the amazing crescendo in East Coast Racer.

BBT have truly mastered the "Penulimate Epic -> Come-down Closer":
Saltwater Falling On Uneven Ground - Summer's Lease
Brooklands - Telling The Bees
A Mead Hall In Winter - As The Crow Flies
Voyager - Homesong
Atlantic Cable - Homesong

It's something I've noticed other band have been doing as well, but I think BBT have really made it an art.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Online HOF

And speaking of NDV taking on more lead vocal duties, this popped up again in my YouTube feed tonight:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6tpwpAJm1sA

Online The Letter M

Two new uploads by the band today.

First is the second track-by-track discussion of Welcome To The Planet.

And second, an acoustic performance of the album's self-titled closing track.
That certainly is a very interesting song but I don't hate it. I'm looking forward to listening to the full band version, but this one of just Carly and David is pretty in its own right.

Just ten more days to go...

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Online The Letter M

Just got my shipment notification email from Bandwagon USA for my t-shirt/CD bundle for Welcome To The Planet! Hopefully it arrives before Friday! I'm excited to hear the whole album, as bittersweet as it may be.

Anyone else here have the album preordered? Can't wait to see what others here will think of this last BBT album featuring David Longdon.

-Marc.

Online HOF

Just got my shipment notification email from Bandwagon USA for my t-shirt/CD bundle for Welcome To The Planet! Hopefully it arrives before Friday! I'm excited to hear the whole album, as bittersweet as it may be.

Anyone else here have the album preordered? Can't wait to see what others here will think of this last BBT album featuring David Longdon.

-Marc.

Got my shipping notice from Bandwagon this weekend. Fingers crossed it gets here a little before Friday.

Offline Fritzinger

Got mine from Burning Shed today! I usually get my shipping notifications for pre-orders from Burning Shed the Monday before the release (which of course is Friday) and it almost always arrives the Monday after.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2022, 11:26:24 AM by Fritzinger »
any rock can be made to roll

Online HOF

Got mine from Burning Shed today! I get my shipping notification for pre-orders from Burning Shed the Monday before the release (which of course is Friday) and it almost always arrives the Monday after.

Nice!

Offline Fritzinger

Got mine from Burning Shed today! I get my shipping notification for pre-orders from Burning Shed the Monday before the release (which of course is Friday) and it almost always arrives the Monday after.

Nice!

I just realized my post makes no sense the way I wrote it, so I changed it  :lol

Anyway, I am very excited for this release, although I think it will be a very bittersweet experience listening to David's last album.
any rock can be made to roll

Offline Kram

It's going to be tough for me not to buy this now and discover it with you guys, but I'm trying to hold off and continue my BBT discovery chronologically (just picked up Folklore).  It probably wouldn't have been this difficult if David hadn't passed.  Plus the fact they've literally become one of my all-time favorite bands in just a few months!

Online The Letter M

Nice!

I just realized my post makes no sense the way I wrote it, so I changed it  :lol

Anyway, I am very excited for this release, although I think it will be a very bittersweet experience listening to David's last album.

Part of me feels kind of glad that we know for certain this is David's last album because sometimes bands will end or break-up or lead members will move on/pass away unexpectedly and there won't be anything else from them ever again. Knowing the band had an album forthcoming after David passed almost kind of feels like a gift from him and the band - one last artistic showcase of his talent and love for music. And, so far, reviews have been very positive for this one, so I think we may have something special to look forward to this week.

It's going to be tough for me not to buy this now and discover it with you guys, but I'm trying to hold off and continue my BBT discovery chronologically (just picked up Folklore).  It probably wouldn't have been this difficult if David hadn't passed.  Plus the fact they've literally become one of my all-time favorite bands in just a few months!

I felt that way too, falling in love with BBT so quickly after discovering them nearly a decade ago for me now, and back then, they only had 2 albums and an EP with David! Discovering them in 2021 means new fans are spoiled for choice, but I am glad you are enjoying what you're hearing so far. The Folklore/Grimspound/TSBS era of music is pretty special, with lots of great songs, especially the longer songs/epics that they have across those albums. As tempting as it might be to listen to the new one right away, I'd say it might be more rewarding if you stick it out and get through the rest of the albums between Folklore and Welcome To The Planet, just to hear how the band has evolved. There is slight change in sound between Folklore and Common Ground, so I think the difference might be a bit jarring if you jump ahead, and this is coming from a long-time fan who has grown to hear these changes in their sound, year-by-year and album-by-album.

Over the last few days, I've been going back and listening to all of the Longdon-sung songs starting with TUY last Wednesday, then FSDT on Thursday, EEFP on Friday, Folklore/Grimspound/TSBS over the weekend, and Grand Tour today. Tomorrow will be Common Ground, and then just waiting for the new album! Also threw in some other releases in my listening queue as well, like Merchants Of Light, the Summer's Lease compilation, and my personal Christmastime compilation of Christmas/Wintery songs. I feel very ready to hear this new album now!

-Marc.

Online HOF

Got an email saying mine has been delivered!

Online The Letter M

Nice! Apparently my email from Rita Kay Drew gave me a different tracking number than what the Bandwagon USA email sent me (which was incorrect).

EDIT - at 2:34pm, it looks like someone in Charleston, SC 29414 received their package from Bandwagon USA. I hope whoever it is likes their package!

-Marc.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2022, 01:00:20 PM by The Letter M »

Online HOF

Nice! Apparently my email from Rita Kay Drew gave me a different tracking number than what the Bandwagon USA email sent me (which was incorrect).

EDIT - at 2:34pm, it looks like someone in Charleston, SC 29414 received their package from Bandwagon USA. I hope whoever it is likes their package!

-Marc.

Oh no, wrong address?

Online The Letter M

-Marc.

Oh no, wrong address?

The email I got from Rita, via USPS, has my correct address in it, so I know it's coming to me, but it's stuck in DC today and hasn't moved since last night, but it still says it's on track to be delivered to me on Friday.

I think the Bandwagon USA system automated emails attached the wrong tracking and so I got sent two separate tracking numbers - one that is correct (from Rita), and another from Bandwagon USA with someone else's tracking number. Whoops. Either way, mine is still coming... I hope. *fingers crossed*

-Marc.

Online HOF

Hopefully yours gets there sooner than expected! Last night my tracking was still saying a Friday ETA.

Offline goo-goo

www.lasercd.com has it in stock right now.

Online The Letter M

Hopefully yours gets there sooner than expected! Last night my tracking was still saying a Friday ETA.

My tracking just updated and it recently arrived in my city/local post office so I should be getting it tomorrow afternoon! I cannot wait!

-Marc.

Online HOF

Here to report:

1. We get a new instance of the "gone to ground" lyric on this album.

2. The title track is AMAZING.

Online The Letter M

Here to report:

So you've heard it? Nice! It'll be another 17 hours, at least, til I get home from work tomorrow evening and get to hear it.

-Marc.

Online HOF

Here to report:

So you've heard it? Nice! It'll be another 17 hours, at least, til I get home from work tomorrow evening and get to hear it.

-Marc.

Yep, my copy was in the mail when I got home last night.

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
Is there a song in the vein of 'Alive' or 'The Strangest Times'? I really like those kind of uplifting songs by them.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Online The Letter M

Here to report:

-Marc.

Yep, my copy was in the mail when I got home last night.

Oh what a nice surprise! Happy listening!

Is there a song in the vein of 'Alive' or 'The Strangest Times'? I really like those kind of uplifting songs by them.

I'd say the opener "Made From Sunshine" is pretty upbeat. It's been out for a few months too, before we even knew it was even going to be on an album, let alone the opener.

Also, shared this morning is an interview with David and Greg talking about the new album and other things about being in BBT.
https://youtu.be/uJKbWwLYit4

-Marc.

Online HOF

Yes, as Marc said, the opening track Made From Sunshine really does fit that vibe. It’s a great track. Surprisingly, it’s the only one on the album where Longdon provided lyrics (and the music was co-written with Dave Foster).

Overall, I’d say the album is pretty experimental for BBT. Most of the Spawton pieces are more in line with the traditional BBT sound, but the contributions from Nick, Rikard, and Carly are all a bit out there and a step away from the pastoral, Genesis-inspired BBT. One Spawton piece, Oak and Stone, is also pretty different (it’s a bit along the lines of Ariel maybe), and is a really interesting track.

I’m glad the band are branching out a bit with this one (and with Common Ground). The fact that everyone is contributing to the writing now at least suggests they should be able to carry on in some format without Longdon. It might take some time getting used to the various styles inhabiting the same album. My first two listens last night felt a bit jumbled. But the album seemed to gel a bit more when I listened on my way into work this morning.

Offline The Curious Orange

• Lord of the Night
Well, came home from work and the new album had arrived. Just listened to it, and it's stunning, much better than Common Ground, but sharing many of the same faults. I really love it. It sounds fantastic, the music falling out of the speakers with a solidity and depth that you rarely find - Rob Aubrey is a mixing and mastering genius. Carly Bryant is a great pianist, there's some fantastic playing on here, reminding me of a Steve Vai quote about beginners playing the wrong notes while virtuosos play the unexpected notes.

Made form Sunshine is breezy opener, and David Longton's only writing credit on the album. The Connection Plan rocks, Lanterna is a highlight on the album, Capitoline Venus is heartbreaking. Bats In The Belfry is the best BBT instrumental so far. Welcome to the Planet is one of those songs that shouldn't work but somehow does. The whole thing is a far cry from English Electric, but managing to be it's own thing, a new iteration of the band finding it's feet with great style and great promise for the future.

Several times I found myself thinking I can't wait to hear these songs live, and then remembering that we never will. If this is the end of BBT, it's a good one to go out on.
"And if love remains, though everything is lost,
We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost..."

Online HOF

I will also say, the original idea with this release was to be an EP with leftovers that weren’t used for Common Ground (Connection Plan was one of the leftovers). The band decided to write additional material to fill out a full album. So that may explain the somewhat experimental nature of this release. Similar to how The Second Brightest Star is a bit of an odd duck among other BBT albums maybe.

Online The Letter M

I will also say, the original idea with this release was to be an EP with leftovers that weren’t used for Common Ground (Connection Plan was one of the leftovers). The band decided to write additional material to fill out a full album. So that may explain the somewhat experimental nature of this release. Similar to how The Second Brightest Star is a bit of an odd duck among other BBT albums maybe.

True, TSBS was put out as a companion piece to Folklore and Grimspound, which is why it is supplemented with expanded versions of songs from the previous two albums. Funny enough, IIRC, Grimspound was originally going to be the companion EP/LP to Folklore but they had so much material that they just made it their next full-blown album. And even then, they still had even MORE material for The Second Brightest Star. That was quite an era of the band, especially since TSBS was revealed and put up for pre-order about a month or so out from release, I believe. It was definitely a shock and a pleasant surprise to get new music again SO SOON, much in the same way that we have gotten singles from WTTP over the last 5 months leading up to the album's release.

On a side note, my tracking says my album bundle has been delivered to my mail box at home! Sadly I am stuck at work for about another two hours, but when I get home, it'll be time to say "Welcome to my collection" to WTTP!

-Marc.

Online The Letter M

Had one full listen through with headphones on (something I haven't done in a long while), and I've got to say, even though I've already heard 6 of the 9 songs in full (7 counting the stripped down version of the title track), this album is *really* good to my ears when everything is put together.

This is definitely an experimental album compared to anything else they've released in the last 13 years, but I like it. It's great to hear writing from Nick, Rikard, and Carly, as they all add their own flavors to the band.

As for the three new-to-me tracks, Rikard's instrumental has hints of his other bands' works, but infused with Greg and Nick laying down a solid rhythm section.

"Oak And Stone" might be a bit of a grower for me, but I don't dislike it. I definitely need more time with it.

And the closing, title track, while quirky and a bit unusual for BBT, is amazing. It's got a lot of middle-to-late Beatles vibes but through a bit of a proggier lens. I can see how some folks may not like this one, but I think it works, and it works quite well for me, and a suitable album closer.

Is it too early to say this is AOTY material? 😅

-Marc.

Online HOF

Had one full listen through with headphones on (something I haven't done in a long while), and I've got to say, even though I've already heard 6 of the 9 songs in full (7 counting the stripped down version of the title track), this album is *really* good to my ears when everything is put together.

This is definitely an experimental album compared to anything else they've released in the last 13 years, but I like it. It's great to hear writing from Nick, Rikard, and Carly, as they all add their own flavors to the band.

As for the three new-to-me tracks, Rikard's instrumental has hints of his other bands' works, but infused with Greg and Nick laying down a solid rhythm section.

"Oak And Stone" might be a bit of a grower for me, but I don't dislike it. I definitely need more time with it.

And the closing, title track, while quirky and a bit unusual for BBT, is amazing. It's got a lot of middle-to-late Beatles vibes but through a bit of a proggier lens. I can see how some folks may not like this one, but I think it works, and it works quite well for me, and a suitable album closer.

-Marc.

I’d expect nothing less from BBT!

The ending to Oak and Stone is wonderful, and even though it’s a GS piece, Nick and Rikard were responsible for the ending, which is cool to hear.

Online The Letter M

-Marc.

I’d expect nothing less from BBT!

The ending to Oak and Stone is wonderful, and even though it’s a GS piece, Nick and Rikard were responsible for the ending, which is cool to hear.

Oh I didn't know that about "Oak And Stone"! Very nice, I'm happy to hear that the band are so closely working together on all of these songs and adding to each other's base material.

And speaking of how songs were made, the song-story entry for the title track has been posted to the band's website! Some very insightful thoughts from Carly on how she created the album's closing piece.

-Marc.