Author Topic: I'm really curious!!!  (Read 4210 times)

Offline Setlist Scotty

Re: I'm really curious!!!
« Reply #35 on: February 05, 2020, 06:27:50 PM »
I always say the same thing - I'd love to hear as raw a studio recording as possible. Chatter, string squeaks, drum clatter, room noise, etc. They don't really need polishing and cleaning up.
This. So much this. I want a stripped down, raw sounding album. Something a bit like Liquid Tension Experiment or Train of Though; I want to hear a band playing together. Get the guys in a room together and mic up their shit and let them loose.
You mean Distance over Time?
While d/t was written with all the guys together in the same room, I don't believe that the takes that ended up on the album were performed as a band. Pretty sure each member of the band laid down their individual performances separately. I think Volante is saying he wants the actual final album recordings to be done basically live in the studio.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline Volante99

« Reply #36 on: February 05, 2020, 08:06:59 PM »
I always say the same thing - I'd love to hear as raw a studio recording as possible. Chatter, string squeaks, drum clatter, room noise, etc. They don't really need polishing and cleaning up.
This. So much this. I want a stripped down, raw sounding album. Something a bit like Liquid Tension Experiment or Train of Though; I want to hear a band playing together. Get the guys in a room together and mic up their shit and let them loose.
You mean Distance over Time?
While d/t was written with all the guys together in the same room, I don't believe that the takes that ended up on the album were performed as a band. Pretty sure each member of the band laid down their individual performances separately. I think Volante is saying he wants the actual final album recordings to be done basically live in the studio.

Right. That’s the basic idea...

Not EVERYTHING has to be recorded together/live per say...I just want a more natural sounding production. I want to hear the wood of Mangini’s drum set for once. I wanna feel like the band is in the room with me when I listen to it.

More like a classic jazz record than a modern pro-toolsy Periphery sound...at least when it comes to recording philosophy. 
« Last Edit: February 05, 2020, 09:13:31 PM by Volante99 »

Offline cygnusx1jg

« Reply #37 on: February 09, 2020, 09:46:40 AM »
A bonus/hidden track of Mangini doing a drum solo in tribute to Mr. Peart.
Hope is what remains to be seen. Now we must tend our garden.