Author Topic: Evermind's Third Roulette v. Final Round Results  (Read 70652 times)

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Evermind's Third Roulette v. Unbreak my balls (Round 9 Results #3)
« Reply #1470 on: May 02, 2019, 03:29:28 PM »
Don't miss the story on the previous page!

Parama: Zantera Sacul Music

Patrick Watson – Tracy’s Waters: this track does nothing to dissuade me from my previous notions about Patrick Watson’s music: it provides a nice, dreamlike experience, but the vocals aren’t really my cup of tea. The instrumental track with strings and percussion is nice, the vocal performance, and the vocal melodies, too, aren’t just quite up to that level. This is a nice little listen, and I think I liked this just as much as I liked Lighthouse. Different tempo and atmosphere, yes, but the quality is consistent. 6.5/10

Olafur Arnalds – Old Skin: this is beautiful. I don’t know why I haven’t checked out this particular album and artist before. He was on my radar, and I just kept postponing it, but you can be sure that I will check this out after this song, because this is just beautiful. I’m not sure if I even need to describe it further. It’s an amazing combination of keyboard melody, the subtle strings, the vocals and the brilliant vocal melodies. This is something I wanted to find in this roulette. 8.5/10

mum – I Can’t Feel My Hand Anymore, It’s Alright, Sleep Tight: oh yes, instrumentals is the new trend in the EP world, it seems. Is that a fucking accordion too? This is nice, but ultimately this feels like a placeholder between Old Skin and the next track, as I don’t feel any emotional connection to it. It’s a well done instrumental, sure, but unlike some instrumentals in this round, this feels more like a transitional track than a standalone song. Not on the level of Deafheaven transitional track, but still. It works well on your EP, though. 6/10

Death Cab for Cutie – Passenger Seat: this song is remarkable in its simplicity and just open honesty and, I don’t know, open expression of feeling of joy? After all the growls I’ve got in this round, this is refreshing as hell. You know, those moments when you’re simply glad that you exist, that you’re alive and well, and you don’t care about the outside world at all because you’re in a good place, at least for these few minutes or hours. This song aims to evoke this feeling and it does a great job at that. I can certainly think of some moments where I felt like that, and this song almost makes me relive them. I really like this. 8/10

Billie Eilish – Listen Before I Go: oh hey, a suicidal song from a teenager. Without any prejudice though, this is a good song impaired by a few aspects which are, for certain, intentional, but still: the singer sounds like she didn’t eat for three days at least, and the instrumental part is almost non-existent except the somber piano notes. I get that this is intentional, I get it; the protagonist here is leaving a suicide note, feeling down. But I still wish this song was a bit louder and Billie sounded a bit more clear and not starving and murmuring words into the mic—if only because every time this song came up on my commute, I couldn’t hear half of it. 6.5/10

Ulver – Let the Children Go: this is definitely the weirdest song on your EP, with almost no structure at all; but strangely, it works quite well. The mysterious atmosphere and the random vocal passages climaxing at certain moments somehow do a great job of tying the song together here, and while this isn’t something that would do well on its own, in context of the EP this is, in fact, strangely fascinating. 7/10

Julia Holter – Vasquez: you know, if I wanted an ASMR session, I would’ve just find something on YouTube. As I’ve already expressed in the plug.dj session, I’m not a fan of this at all. This feels less like a song and more like a spoken word section which is six minutes long. There is an instrumental track beneath this, which is mostly rhythm, and then there’s just Julia (I assume that’s her on vocals) speaking the words into the mic. I know it’s not only spoken word, she sings some of it (bandiiido), but still, my impression is that this is barely a song. It makes a good sequence with that Ulver song, though, but that’s about it. I don’t like it. 4/10

Gabriel Kahane – Empire Liquor Mart (9127 S. Figueroa St.): I know you said this is your favourite track from your EP, but honestly, this sounds like nine minutes of mostly mediocrity. I’m not a fan of most vocal melodies here, and I’m not a fan of the classical breakdowns with all the strings—they feel forced—and I feel the whole song feels a bit off, to the point that the vocal melodies were created on the spot. The chorus reprise in the end feels like a clumsy attempt to string the song together to me, and not too successful either. Perhaps five listens weren’t enough to actually get into this song, but I guess I don’t see what you see about this particular track. It’s alright, inoffensive, and that’s about it for me. 5.5/10

Thoughts on the EP: I’ve never expected you to actually send something this good. I know it was after the roulette, but hey, most of this is actually good, and the rest is at least tolerable—except Julia Holter, I didn’t like that. I guess our tastes don’t collide in metal, but when it comes to chamber music and acoustic ballads, we’re at least a bit compatible. This was good and the flow was extraordinary, in fact I think the best of the round. I don’t know how it scores against Luoto, but know that I’ve enjoyed this EP way more than a few others in this round. In fact, I’m pretty sure this will end up in a Top 3.

EP score: (6.5 + 8.5 + 6 + 8 + 6.5 + 7 + 4 + 5.5) / 8 = 6.5 * 2 = 13/20

Flow score: 4.5

Total score: 17.5

Luoto, man, you sent me some great stuff. I'm not sure what it is with you and the elimination format, but apparently you're out of luck with this whole thing, first losing to Seneca while sending the second best thing in the round, now losing to Parama—of all people!—with a pretty good EP. Oh well, I'm still going to check out a lot of the stuff you sent me—Eastern High, Ghost Brigade, Swallow the Sun, In Mourning, Communic, Wormwood... you didn't win, but you certainly left an impression on me. I couldn't be more glad you joined this roulette. Thank you for playing!
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
Jesus christ @ the story  :lol
Also sorry luoto
I should've replaced Olafur Arnalds with the Hirsch Effekt or something

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
Jesus christ @ the story  :lol

You're welcome! :lol

The idea of The Death Cab still makes me laugh and it was—along with the pig slaughter in Seneca's EP—what actually made me want to write all the six stories, it was just too hilarious to pass up :lol

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
Also I like the Gabriel Kahane song bcuz it's got the trinity of catchy, technical, and emotive

That's like. All I need to really get into a song tbh

Also yeah ofc the flow is good who the hell do you think I am

If you wanna check out one more Julia Holter song that definitely isn't spoken word go check out Feel You off the same album

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
I mean I'm not against it, I just wasn't impressed with it at all. I'll take that Olafur Arnalds song over that one any day, in fact I'm spinning For Now I Am Winter now and man it's good.

If you wanna check out one more Julia Holter song that definitely isn't spoken word go check out Feel You off the same album

For sure, I'll play this tomorrow I guess.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
Yeah that album is great
I've tried other stuff from him but I've never been as into it

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
Yeah, it's very good on my first listen, I'll definitely return to it.

Last two results are coming up this morning. Meanwhile, enjoy that wonderful story for Parama's EP.  :biggrin:

Offline senecadawg2

It's nice to see you enjoyed Death Cab. As much as I like Passenger Seat, I don't think it does justice to the album as a whole. Also Ulver is awesome, especially shadows of the sun.
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
Ooh, is it my turn to get eliminated with the second highest score of the round?  :corn

:splodetard:
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline senecadawg2

We can only hope!

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
Dank meme my duotos

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
so i went and checked out that moonloop song and like

did we listen to the same song?

this is what YT pulls up for the name you gave:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mndXacQTWoU

which has like... one djenty heavy bit but is mostly more laid-back and melodic lol

so i went and checked the album on spotify and there are two different versions with two different tracklists... and the same song has two different names across both versions ("zeal" on the other one)

RYM also seems to agree with the spotify version that has it named "zeal" and "gallery of diminished nightmares" seems to not exist but then "nightmare gallery" does actually sound like the song you described

i'm genuinely wondering if what happened here is that you accidentally listened to the wrong song because of how weird it seems to be on spotify

i know for a fact that TAC sends spotify playlists, not files directly, too

so...

bandcamp also agrees that the song you listened to doesn't exist:
https://moonloop.bandcamp.com/album/devocean

edit: what the actual hell
https://www.discogs.com/Moonloop-Devocean/release/10558278

the promo has the track name, but then it's also the 8-minute one instead of the 7 minute one soooo

...i'm completely baffled at what the hell's happening here

btw i like both songs. i'm gonna check out this album.
of course i like the song btw. ev hates it.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
It wouldn't be the first time Spotify fucked up the track names on something.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
In fact, the song in Tim's Spotify playlist was unavailable for me, so I used the one on Yandex.Music instead. I can't check right now—gotta run, in fact I'm already late :lol but I will check it out this evening.

Good thing I have the results pre-written, so I don't have to postpone this yet again.

senecadawg2: The Eternal Becoming

Kauan – Aidin Laulu: this song is a curious mix between elevator music, folk music, Gregorian chanting and progressive rock, with a touch of death metal all over it. The biggest advantage of this song is that for its 12 minutes, it explores a lot, staying interesting all the way, and never grates on me. In fact, I love most of what it has to offer, and even the occasional growl or two fits well here. I’m not sure why you associated this with winter, because this feels more like spring for me, but who am I to question your decisions? The usage of string instruments in this song is also wonderful. This is probably my favourite song of the round, and I had such a high hopes for your EP after this. 9/10

Wolves in the Throne Room – The Old Ones Are With Us: the ambient intro and outro with the campfire cracking in the background and the words spoken over the quiet acoustic guitar is the best this song has to offer, because then this song descends into the death metal pit of death (sounds great, I know). The production here isn’t stellar, and the amount of blast beats, while not staggering, doesn’t do this song justice (read: they use them too often). The vocals are too death metal-ish to my taste, but this is, in fact, still salvageable in comparison to what I’ve heard from this genre, mostly because of the good acoustic sections and instrumental moments where they don’t use blast beats or use them sparingly, not to draw attention to themselves. The grandiloquent keyboard section which ends the song, for example, is pretty good. Yet overall, for almost nine minutes, this song has too many moments I didn’t care about. 5.5/10

Deafheaven – Dream House: I really should’ve accepted Falls of Rauros if that’s what you came up with to replace it. This reminds me of So Hideous – Laurestine album in the sense that it seems they have the same lyrics, which are AAAAAHHHHH AHHHH AHHHHH AAAAAH YAAAAAH YAH YAH YAAAAAAAH AAAAAHHHHH, except So Hideous had better music behind them to back those lyrics up, and I actually liked it enough to even use them in roulette once. This is pretty horrible, to be honest. It’s just seven minutes of continuous onslaught with one little break in the middle, and then two minutes of epic outro with more growls over it. The only saving grace of this song is the guitar line in this section, which is pretty great—but even this is not enough to save this song. This is The Hirsch Effekt level of aggravating. 3/10

Deafheaven – Irresistible: I realize that this was intended as a transition track, and I’m probably biased after Dream House, but this was actually nice for a change. Simple and beautiful instrumental piece, and while I don’t think it’ll work on its own, like that Persefone track Puppies sent me, I think this is solid and it’ll probably boost your aggregate score a bit. 6/10

Panopticon – Into the North Woods: and the pig slaughter continues with this one. I don’t know if you realized this yet, but I’m not a big fan of blast beats at all. This song also has the worst production on your EP, and it doesn’t really benefit from being the last, because by this point I’m already tired of death metal. There is a good guitar line somewhere in theme, buried under the mindless screaming, and when it finally comes to the front of the song in the second half, it’s rewarding, but I don’t think anyone should endure the first half just to get to that. This works well as a closer because of its final section, but it doesn’t work well as a song. 4/10

Thoughts on the EP: that was ballsy, and honestly with Falls of Rauros instead of Deafheaven you might’ve stood a chance against whoever you’re up against, but I’m fairly sure at this point that the straight-forward death metal is not for me. Bands like Kauan and Falls of Rauros are for me, though, mostly because of the amount of warm folk acoustic instrumentation they use; but if you’re going to scream in your mic for ten minutes with the production like it was recorded in the north woods, well, I’ll pass. The flow here works, although I’m really not sure about the seasons theme: I felt like Wolves was more wintery song, Kauan was spring/summer, Panopticon could’ve been autumn I suppose, and Deafheaven was awful. I don’t want to say this whole EP was bad, because I’ll check out Kauan at least, but this was definitely not as enjoyable as some other EPs.

EP score: (9 + 5.5 + 3 + 6 + 4) / 5 = 5.5 * 2 = 11/20

Flow score: 3.5

Total score: 14.5

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
jingle.boy: (Trapped Inside This) Evermindavarium: Full Circle

Walls of Babylon – My Heaven: interesting decision to begin your EP with a ballad, and as someone who usually likes ballads, I can get behind this. This particular song is nothing special: it’s actually uplifting, as far as ballads go, which isn’t my usual preference. The chorus here is pretty good, although I feel that vocal melodies overall on this song could use a little improvement. The all-out section at the end is satisfying, although it could’ve used a little more build-up before the transition. This song has good ideas, but could’ve used just a little better execution to bring them to life. Still, this is up my alley. 7/10

Tesla – What You Give: the problem I have with older “ballads” is that I don’t actually classify them as “ballads”, more like just “rock songs”, although it depends on the song I guess. Brothers in Arms? A ballad. Rainbow Eyes? A ballad. Temple of the King? A rock song. This one is also a rock song in my book. Not that it ultimately matters, really, because ballad or rock song, this song isn’t quite for me. The thing about the pre-1993 theme was that whenever you send something from that period of time, you take a risk—I tend to be especially picky about that stuff. This is in line with Stadler’s submissions: nothing actively offensive or unenjoyable, but nothing that stands out to me, either. And this song just keeps going and going and going. It feels like it’s 10 minutes long. 5/10

Eurythmics – Would I Lie to You?: can I have White Rabbit back? Because this is worse than Tesla, and probably in the Bottom 3 songs of this round overall. I mean, I realize it’s just the style of music, and I listened to, like, Boney M when I was 10, but this is not something I’m actively looking for right now. I guess I can see why Tim hates this, and to quote Kade, “what the fucking fuck?” 3.5/10

Universal Mind Project – Anthem for Freedom: and with this one, we’re back on track. The best thing about this song is the variety of vocalists, most of them doing a good job at their parts. The chorus here isn’t very exciting, and I honestly prefer the verses—even with Mark Jansen growling (I seem to remember you saying it’s him). Overall this song reminds me of something I would receive as a promo: well done, but a bit dull and unexciting. Probably won’t go out of my way to check them out, but after Tesla and Eurythmics, this is a god-tier level song. 6.5/10

Erra – Ultimata: uhh… positive things about this song: it’s short (not short enough), the chorus doesn’t have growls. I’m honestly having trouble deciding what kind of growls I dislike more: the pale death metal ones or these. It sounds like the singer is about to burst. No wonder you don’t like growls if this is the kind of growls you’re listening to, man. The worst thing is that even the instrumental track here isn’t good at all, it’s just mostly the rhythm guitars and the drummer pounding cymbals like they’ve cheated on him with his best friend. I’ll be straightforward: I did not like most of this track. 4/10

Divine Ascension – Bittersweet Divide: man, you should’ve lead with this one. Probably also included more tracks from this band. Crossed out Tesla, Eurythmics and Erra. Added something like Lords of Black and Daydream XI, and there you go, a perfect EP. This is pretty good and definitely the best track on your EP. I like the main guitar line (which is also the opening melody and the thing that hold the song together), and finally a catchy chorus which I want to sing along to, especially “what it takes to lay down the life” (or whatever lyrics there are). The ending is a bit weird—I thought I accidentally added the song twice to my playlist—but it works when you get used to it. Let me just reiterate how much I like the main guitar melody again. 8/10

Sass Jordan – I Want to Believe: surprisingly, I kinda liked this one. I mean, from the pre-1993 tracks your EP included, this is definitely the one that stood out to me the most. I’m not sure if it’s the simplicity of it, but sometimes the acoustic guitar and just the singer work well (and sometimes they don’t, like when Nelson sent me David Gray last time). This is by no means on the level of 7.5-good, but I didn’t want to skip this, and actually enjoyed it in places, so there’s that. Although I’ve got to say, none of your pre-1993 tracks hit the mark like Waysted or the band that Puppies sent me in that round (I forgot the name, but the song went something-something-hell yeah, we are riding the storm). But this is nice. 6.5/10

Thoughts on the EP: I respect what you were going for with the theme, and I think it’s quite interesting, but as the result, it screwed up the flow, and it also screwed up your results, because I seriously doubt you would’ve sent me Erra or Eurythmics if it wasn’t for the theme. There were some good songs on this one, especially Divine Ascension was interesting to me; but I’m honestly having trouble viewing this EP as one cohesive unit. It feels like a collection of songs I would’ve thought was unrelated if you didn’t tell me the theme you were going for. But then again, I thought the theme was interesting. Overall, not your best work, and I’m not sure this is going to be enough to beat Tim.

EP score: (7 + 5 + 3.5 + 6.5 + 4 + 8 + 6.5) / 7 = 5.78 * 2 = 11.56/20

Flow score: 1.5 + 1 point for the theme

Total score: 14.06

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
The final matchup is TAC against Puppies. I'll post the final round details this evening, but you can also find them in the first post and I've really got to run now. See you in ~12 hours, folks.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
i'm just honored that the hirsch effekt became the standard you judged against for the entire roulette

• DTF.org Member
Hey, look at that! TAC and I get a rematch of the final round of Indiscipline's Roulette  :corn

I need to come up with some albums to throw at you. What's the deadline for submissions?
aka Puppies_On_Acid
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Damn that thread title gave me a heart attack this morning. Phew, that was too close for comfort. That Moonloop song almost um...threw me for a loop.

Good luck Pup! I think you got this.

Sending the first album now.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Not surprised at all. No regrets tho - these are all 4 and 5 star songs in my ears. If What You Give is only a 5/10, it just shows how incompatible tastes can be sometimes. You loved Whisper a Prayer For the Dying, but that one is just 'meh to you.

:dunno:

I knew the flow sucked, but forgot that was 20% of the score when I committed to the theme.   Doesn't matter tho, as that part of the score was even with Tim. 

TASTES!!!!

P.s.  Annie Lennox is a top 10 female vocalist of all time.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
I am literally listening to Annie Lennox right now over my work intercom.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

I knew the flow sucked, but forgot that was 20% of the score when I committed to the theme.   Doesn't matter tho, as that part of the score was even with Tim. 

Two old guys struggling with flow! :D

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
If What You Give is only a 5/10, it just shows how incompatible tastes can be sometimes.

It's just that the young ones don't listen to decent music anymore.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
3.5 for Would I Lie To You is wY too generous.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni

C'mon man... you've got an amazing vocalist, awesome horn melody (though, I'm a sucka for brass elements), and a really cool riff.  Just don't watch the video.  EVER.  :lol

Just goes to show how much influence music from our younger years influences and sticks with us.  I'm sure any of us could fire off something first heard as a young teenager that we absolutely adore - and most everyone else would want to throw up in our ears.   :D
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Blondie  :metal

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
so i went and checked out that moonloop song and like

did we listen to the same song?

this is what YT pulls up for the name you gave:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mndXacQTWoU

So I wanted to check this to verify if I indeed listened to the right song, aaaaand it's unavailable. :lol I guess I'll just leave it be cause Tim is in the finals anyway.

Hey, look at that! TAC and I get a rematch of the final round of Indiscipline's Roulette  :corn

I need to come up with some albums to throw at you. What's the deadline for submissions?

There's no real deadline as I'm seeing Avantasia tomorrow, I won't be available tomorrow at all; but I'd be glad to have at least one album in 24 hours, especially since Tim has already sent his first submission.

:lol

Not surprised at all. No regrets tho - these are all 4 and 5 star songs in my ears. If What You Give is only a 5/10, it just shows how incompatible tastes can be sometimes. You loved Whisper a Prayer For the Dying, but that one is just 'meh to you.

:dunno:

That's fair. I indeed loved Whisper a Prayer for the Dying—in fact I bought the whole album because of that song, and I indeed didn't like What You Give much. I don't know, the 90s music is finicky for me, I guess. Still, you did good, and definitely sent me a few bands I'm going to explore once this is all over.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

C'mon man... you've got an amazing vocalist, awesome horn melody (though, I'm a sucka for brass elements), and a really cool riff.  Just don't watch the video.  EVER.  :lol

Just goes to show how much influence music from our younger years influences and sticks with us.  I'm sure any of us could fire off something first heard as a young teenager that we absolutely adore - and most everyone else would want to throw up in our ears.   :D

Yeah, I know the song well though and like a lot around that era, just couldn't stand anything from that band honestly.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline senecadawg2

It was fun playing! Obviously i chose the wrong songs here at the end, but im happy to have made it so far. You always run a tight ship.  :heart

• DTF.org Member
Sent the first album for the final round. :metal
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
TAC, they have medications for that problem these days.
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

• DTF.org Member
TAC, they have medications for that problem these days.
:rollin
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
:lol

Here's a quick hangman before I head out to spend five hours in the line for Avantasia gig:

???: ___ ________ - __ ___ ___ __ _ _______
???: __________ - __________