Author Topic: Metro's Gourmet Roulette - AND THE WINNER IS...  (Read 29650 times)

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: Metro's Gourmet Roulette - ROUND 2 WINE PAIRINGS
« Reply #630 on: November 10, 2023, 07:08:34 AM »

Course 3 - Salad

Something natural and simple, like a salad
Give me something stripped-down, like an acoustic song or a piano ballad. Doesn’t have to be a ballad, but it must be something with minimal instrumentation
Instrumentals welcome, but not required
10 minutes max.

I'm such an idiot. I don't know how I missed this component. I've spent all week settling on two songs for this round, but they don't fit the criteria... :facepalm:
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Your sloth is in another castle
« Reply #631 on: November 10, 2023, 07:12:08 AM »
Well, that one hasn’t changed at all since day one, so I don’t know what to tell ya.
You have till Sunday to submit though. You’ve got time.

Final thoughts and results coming tonight. Forecast tonight is cloudy with a chance of shitstorm.

Online ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #632 on: November 10, 2023, 07:29:55 AM »
Regarding the Salad, I have lots to choose from but need a clarification on 'stripped down'. Would a song with guitar/bass/drums with the guitar being entirely acoustic count? Just trying to hone in on the criteria.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #633 on: November 10, 2023, 07:35:06 AM »
Well, that one hasn’t changed at all since day one, so I don’t know what to tell ya.

No, I know. It's just me being an idiot.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #634 on: November 10, 2023, 07:45:01 AM »

Don't worry Tim.  I keep sending my song in a PM instead of Google.  I am also am idiot. 
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #635 on: November 10, 2023, 07:46:55 AM »

Don't worry Tim.  I keep sending my song in a PM instead of Google.  I am also am idiot.

Hell, even I'VE got the technology down!  :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #636 on: November 10, 2023, 07:48:08 AM »

Hell, even I'VE got the technology down!  :lol

I just keep forgetting to send it via Google. LOL
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #637 on: November 10, 2023, 07:49:16 AM »
Regarding the Salad, I have lots to choose from but need a clarification on 'stripped down'. Would a song with guitar/bass/drums with the guitar being entirely acoustic count? Just trying to hone in on the criteria.

That would be fine.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #638 on: November 10, 2023, 07:52:13 AM »
Question about the Wine Pairings for the Main Course and the Dessert, do they also have to have an "epic feel" and be a closer, respectively?

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #639 on: November 10, 2023, 07:55:13 AM »
Question about the Wine Pairings for the Main Course and the Dessert, do they also have to have an "epic feel" and be a closer, respectively?

For round 4, yes, it should have an epic feel.

For round 5, no, it doesn’t have to be a closer.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #640 on: November 10, 2023, 07:57:04 AM »
Thanke, that certainly simplifies things a bit more for my Dessert entry, heh ;D

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #641 on: November 10, 2023, 07:58:01 AM »
For round 5, no, it doesn’t have to be a closer.
Oh, odd but ok that opens things up more I suppose!

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #642 on: November 10, 2023, 08:10:13 AM »
Only pussies would take the east route and NOT send a closing track for the win pairing.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #643 on: November 10, 2023, 08:11:42 AM »
Only pussies would take the east route and NOT send a closing track for the win pairing.

:huh:

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #644 on: November 10, 2023, 08:13:13 AM »

:huh:

Easy route. Wine pairing

Damn kingitis. I’m just chirping at ya’ll
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online HOF

« Reply #645 on: November 10, 2023, 08:13:58 AM »
I'll take the west route if I want, and we'll just see who gets there first!

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #646 on: November 10, 2023, 08:25:49 AM »
I'll have the win pairing.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #647 on: November 10, 2023, 08:26:33 AM »
I've infected you all. 

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #648 on: November 10, 2023, 08:37:00 AM »

I'm sending a single...it's an opening and closing track  :biggrin:

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #649 on: November 10, 2023, 08:39:55 AM »
I'll have the win pairing.
Congrats ariich!

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #650 on: November 10, 2023, 08:47:42 AM »
Suck it, Trebek!

Online ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #651 on: November 10, 2023, 08:50:47 AM »
Crap, an under 5 minute epic track for the Main Course Wine Pairing? Back to the drawing board. I just matched style but did not go epic.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
aka Puppies_On_Acid
Hey Stadler, your PM inbox is full.
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Online HOF

« Reply #653 on: November 10, 2023, 08:57:57 AM »
In what sense is the track epic if it's under 5 minutes? I guess it needs to sound epic in some way?

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #654 on: November 10, 2023, 09:01:34 AM »
Epic in terms of feel is subjective. I’m not asking for like a multi-part song with an overture and the works all jammed into 5 minutes. Don’t sweat it too much, as long as it’s similar in style and feel to your Main Entry, you’re fine.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #655 on: November 10, 2023, 04:49:21 PM »
 :corn

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #657 on: November 10, 2023, 05:19:30 PM »
« Last Edit: November 10, 2023, 05:44:11 PM by Metro »

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #658 on: November 10, 2023, 05:44:01 PM »
Ironically enough, I'm in the theater literally eating popcorn.

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Metro's Gourmet Roulette - ROUND 2 RESULTS
« Reply #659 on: November 10, 2023, 06:48:16 PM »

ariich - 13

Main Entry: Moron Police - Isn’t It Easy
9/10

Wine Pairing: Moron Police - The Undersea
4/5

Ok wow.
So uh, this might be my new favorite band. I love the melodies. I love the eclectic-ness. I love the little bits that sounds like video game music. I love it all. There were 3 submissions from this band this round, and my favorite of the 3 was submitted by someone else. But Isn’t it Easy was the first one I heard, and that was one hell of an introduction to this band.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

HOF - 12

Main Entry: Martin Miller - Something New
8/10

Wine Pairing: Advent Horizon - Rain On Open Water
4/5

Really awesome pairing of songs. Great groove, great melodies, and fantastic lead guitar on the Martin Miller song. Both songs encompass everything I love about progressive rock.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Buddyhunter1 - 11.5

Main Entry: Riverside - Egoist Hedonist
6.5/10

This sounded familiar to me on my first listen. I did some digging in my hard drive and found this album. I have no clue when the last time I listened to it was.
Didn’t love this one at first. It did end up growing on me, but not by much. It’s a bit repetitive, but it’s rhythmically interesting and has some great riffs.

Wine Pairing: Moron Police - The Phantom Below
5/5

Congrats. The first perfect score in this Roulette. As I said in the writeup for ariich’s submissions, this might be my new favorite band. Out of the 3 songs submitted from this band, this was far and away my favorite, and my favorite overall song for this round.

jingle.boy - 11.5

Main Entry: Nightwish - Ever Dream
8.5/10

Wine Pairing: After Forever - Energize Me
3/5

I maintain my stance that symphonic metal is cheesy as hell, but I can’t deny I loved both of these. Floor Jansen is just a powerhouse on both songs. The only other time I’ve heard her prior to this was in the Devin Townsend Project song “Pandemic”, but both of these songs are much better representations of her abilities. I unfortunately have to take off some points for those absolutely obnoxious backing vocals on Ever Dream. Take away that guy’s mic.

ProfessorPeart - 11.5

Main Entry: The Sword - The Black River
7.5/10

Thought this sounded familiar, then I remembered it was in one of the Guitar Hero games years ago. I also saw these guys open for Clutch last year. The singer mentioned he grew up in Richmond, which was cool. They probably played this song, but who knows? The live mix was awful. Couldn’t tell one song from the other. Not much more to say that I didn’t say before. Great riffs, passable vocals. Cool song.

Wine Pairing: Wucan - Kill the King
4/5

I think you posted this album in the “What album are you listening to?” thread, and I checked it out and listened to a couple songs. I didn’t disqualify it here because I had only heard it once and wasn’t that familiar with it.
This girl can sing, hot damn. The vibe reminds of a heavier and weirder Jethro Tull. Really enjoyed this one.

TAC - 11

Main Entry: Reliqa - I Don’t Know How I Am
8/10

Just an interesting song all around. Instrumentally, rhythmically, vocally, lyrically etc.

Wine Pairing: Lost Domain - Silent Cry
3/5

I don’t have much to say about this one. It’s just a good metal song. The intro reminded me of Lamb of God. The vocals did not. Really great production, too.

faizoff - 10.5

Main Entry: The Tea Party - Stargazer
7/10

Another case of 3 submissions from 1 band. They each show a different side of the band, and this was my favorite of the three. It’s just a simple rock song, but it’s really well done and quite catchy.

Wine Pairing: The Tea Party - Winter Solstice
3.5/10

So far the only instrumental song submitted in the Roulette. This one shows the lighter side of the band. A nice instrumental. Very Led Zeppelin.

wolfking - 10.5

Main Entry: Icehouse - Don’t Believe Anymore
7.5/10

This also grew on me. Really love the vibe of this song. I’m a sucker for a moody, synthy, reverby, 80’s ballad. The sax is a nice touch.

Wine Pairing: The Tea Party - Cathartik
3/5

The third of three songs from this band this round. This one seems to show the darker side of the band, which is a nice contrast to the other two.

Sacul - 10.5

Main Entry: Invisible - Doscientos Años
7.5/10

This was a grower. Thought it sounded a little silly at first, but I liked it more with each listen. The chorus is catchy as hell, and it’s been stuck in my head all day. And once again, that outro is great.

Wine Pairing: Gustavo Cerati - Puente
3/5

I like this one. Not a lot to say about it. I like the contrast of the light verses and heavier chorus. Good song.

Stadler - 10

Main Entry: Marillion - Afraid of Sunlight
7.5/10

Wine Pairing: Marillion - Genie
2.5/5

H’s voice continues to grow on me. I know the color marillion is like a shade of orange, but to me their music has always sounded blue, regardless of which era. Just my two cents. Anyway, 2 really great songs. One cinematic, one more straightforward. Songs like these, any fool can see this is a great band.

(Also, don’t Genies typically live in bottles, not boxes?)

King Postwhore - 9

Main Entry: Aviations - Blink
6/10

Wine Pairing: Maraton - Prime
3/5

2 songs that pair well together because they’re both very similar musically. Both really cool, groovy songs. I definitely prefer the vocals in the Aviations song. Couldn’t get into the vocals for Maraton.

Evermind - 9

Main Entry: Xaon - Eros
7/10

This one grew on me. I take back my comment about it being 2.5 minutes too long. That ending section has become my favorite part of the song. Love the orchestral/choral stuff.

Wine Pairing: Currents - Remember Me
2/5

Couldn’t get into this one. Sorry.

lonestar - 8.5

Main Entry: Allegaeon - Called Home
5.5/10

I can’t look past the Opeth worship on this song, which is just a comment rather than a criticism. I’m only a lukewarm Opeth fan, though. They’re a band I can only take in small doses. This song was fine. I wish they sounded a bit more original. I do really like the clean section in the middle of the song.

Wine Pairing: Nemophilia - Ratei
3/5

I was wondering when something like this was gonna show up. I’ve never had any problem with this kind of music (whatever the hell you call it), but it’s not something I’ve really gravitated towards. This song was just fine. Strong melody and chorus.

Puppies - 7.5

Main Entry: Agalloch - Not Unlike the Waves
5/10

Yeah, I’ve never been much of a black metal guy, and this didn’t change my mind. Better production than I’ve heard on most black metal, that’s a plus for me.
Black metal always makes me feel like I need to brush my teeth.

Wine Pairing: Insomnium - Under the Plaintive Sky
2.5/5

A lot of music in this vein this round, and it  all just blends together to me. This didn’t stand out to me much at all. Just sounds like early Opeth. Nothing truly bad about it, but nothing noteworthy.

romdrums - 7

Main Entry: Mutemath - Break the Same
5/10

Not much more to say that I didn’t say originally. I like the vibe and groove, but the vocals don’t do it for me.

Wine Pairing: Vedera - It’s All Happening on Broadway
2/5

A simple indie pop song like this relies upon the strength of the vocalist, and I just don’t think she’s a very strong vocalist. There’s some weird inflections on certain words, like the way she says “come” in the chorus sounds like “kee-um” and that bugs me :lol

twosuitluke - 5.5

Main Entry: The Hirsch Effekt - Lifnej
2/10

Well, I liked the last 2 minutes. The rest is just too schizophrenic for me.

Wine Pairing: Better Lovers - 30 Under 13
3.5/5

Better. Great to hear Greg Puciato in his element again. Really like the thrash section around halfway through.

Lizzo - 4.5

Main Entry: Björk - Family
2/10

I’ve been wanting to check out Björk for a long time, so thanks for the introduction. Unfortunately this song just wasn’t for me. The vibe, atmosphere, and vocal delivery are all interesting, I’ll give it that much, but I really can’t say I enjoyed it.
I’m not writing her off entirely. Mayhaps there’s a better entry point?

Wine Pairing: Iris - Imposter
2.5/5

This wasn’t bad, but it just didn’t stand out to me very much.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2023, 06:54:03 PM by Metro »

Online Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #660 on: November 10, 2023, 06:57:54 PM »
Can we retroactively remove secret menu points so I can still be in first? :neverusethis:

You did that Riverside song a bit dirty, but I'll take the perfect wine score. :metal You've basically heard half of that Moron Police album already, but if you like those three songs it's pretty safe to say you'll like the rest of it, too. Also good to know I can safely ignore black metal for the rest of the roulette. :lol
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #661 on: November 10, 2023, 06:58:36 PM »
I've already bought the Moron Police album and spun it like a dozen times today. Love it.  :metal

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #662 on: November 10, 2023, 06:59:48 PM »
Hmnnn kinda expected a bit more with the Invisible track, and that's certainly too low for Puente, but I'll take it :P

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #663 on: November 10, 2023, 07:00:38 PM »
aka Puppies_On_Acid
Hey Stadler, your PM inbox is full.
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #664 on: November 10, 2023, 07:03:06 PM »
Wow, not afraid to drop some low scores.

I'm getting fucking cooked next round.