Author Topic: Help with a turntable.  (Read 817 times)

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
Help with a turntable.
« on: September 19, 2014, 07:03:14 AM »
Hey fellow music enthusiasts. I am working on restoring a turntable and I am almost done, but I need some help with the final component.

This is the turntable I am working with. It is a Technics SL-B2 (not sure of the year).

I ordered a new belt and this headshell.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003DY5Q4K/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Now here is where I am having a little trouble. I need a new stylus. I have the original phono cartridge (which fit perfectly in the headshell I bought) but I am having trouble finding the stlyus that goes with it. This is the one that needs replacing.

So now my question is.. Does anyone know of a stlyus that could act as a replacement for this one? I know that's incredibly vague, but I don't know a whole lot about turntables.

The other option I was thinking of going with was buying this;

https://www.amazon.com/Audio-Technica-Magnet-Phono-Cartridge-AT95E/dp/B004NRVUMI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1411059364&sr=8-1&keywords=AT95E

Your thoughts?
« Last Edit: September 19, 2014, 08:15:16 AM by Chino »

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
Re: Help with a turntable.
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2014, 02:29:37 PM »
I usually turn to Devastatin' Dave (The Turntable Slave) for all my turntable questions.

Sorry, I got nothin'.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2014, 03:15:30 PM »
It's been ten years since I replaced a stylus so I can't help you much. What I can do is suggest that the first thing you do when you get it working is crank up Women and Children First. Old Van Halen perfectly demonstrates how kick ass vinyl sounds compared to CD.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Grizz

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2014, 04:09:22 PM »
That may or may not be the cartridge I'm currently using. If it is, then in that budget, I'm told that Shure carts are supposed to be better.
"I raised the baby, I changed the baby's diapers.  Whenever the baby had projectile diarrhea, I was there in the line of fire.  I even got a little in my mouth!  I sacrificed so much for my baby.  Now my baby hates me and thinks Mike Mangini is its real father!"

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2014, 05:11:11 PM »
 I got some good help from these guys.

https://www.vinylengine.com/turntable_forum/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=71177&p=570412#p570412

@Barto

I have some Halen ready to go. However, my first play is going to be Meatloaf's Bat Out of Hell. I have an original pressing autographed by him that's never been played (by me).