Author Topic: The Metallica Thread v. Reloaded  (Read 385887 times)

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: The Metallica Thread v. Reloaded
« Reply #3535 on: November 20, 2016, 11:45:15 AM »
Yeah in the making of Moth Into Flame - James is writing a guitar part with Greg that Kirk plays live...So... Who knows how much kirk actually even writes.

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #3536 on: November 20, 2016, 12:13:42 PM »
All of Metallica's classic albums that people wish Metallica would be more like (less so me) were written by James and Lars with an occasional riff by Kirk. Not sure why the hoopla that he didn't contribute to this album.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3537 on: November 20, 2016, 12:20:45 PM »
On Death Magnetic they included a riff per member in every song.

Look how that turned out.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #3538 on: November 20, 2016, 12:22:43 PM »
Not to be a party pooper, but after seeing the reaction to Spit out the Bone on the 'net and then checking it out myself, I am convinced that Metallica fans are so excited to get anything new that they'll be happy with just about anything as long as it is played fast. It's not a bad song, but it sounds like your run of the mill speed metal tune that we've heard them do a million times already.  It ended and I already cannot remember anything about it.

This pretty much, but it also applies to the rest of the album for me. Granted, I have only listened to the entire thing ONCe (so cut me some slack), but on first listen I wasn;t really impressed at all. Most of the songs sounded like a 3rd rate band that was trying to sound like Metallica. As far as song-writing goes, there's actually quite some decent riffs on there and James' vocals are better than ever before. The drumming Lars does is absolutely fine and I don't see why he gets so much hate; yes, it is straightforward and a lot of the same stuff, but it fits the music and it's very tight. Where the album falls flat to me completely is every single guitar solo Kirk Hammett plays. It's all the same, he sounds exhausted and like he has given up. Pentatonic scale abuse every single time, to the point where his solos are actually a chore to get through. Add to it that every song is (once again) written in E minor (except for Dream No More) and the record gets pretty shallow - on first listen at least.

While there's quite some interesting stuff going on here, I think it's pretty tiring to hear the same E-string riffage all the time. I guess it's become James' voice sounds best in E or something, but these guys have made a career out of playing the same (or at least similar) riffs on open strings over and over again. And Kirk's solos are bad.

I initially didn't really want to post any of this, because I guess this will be shat upon by anyone who thinks this record is really good and while I can see the appeal, I don't think I will listen to this record much more often than the one time I did already.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3539 on: November 20, 2016, 12:31:43 PM »
Listen to it in headphones on a walk.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #3540 on: November 20, 2016, 12:54:18 PM »
I've realized I don't understand the title of Murder One. I know Motorhead but I'm not their biggest fan, is "Murder one" a reference to one of their songs, like most of the lyrics? while I understand the words themselves I don't get the actual meaning of the line "murder all, murder one, give me murder, second class to none".
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3541 on: November 20, 2016, 01:16:48 PM »
Lemmy had MURDER ONE on his amp.

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #3542 on: November 20, 2016, 01:18:48 PM »
How do you guys feel about Now That We're Dead and Here Comes Revenge?

Only two listens in, but those songs have definitely stood out to me as really cool songs.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online Luoto

• Wandering midget
« Reply #3543 on: November 20, 2016, 01:35:07 PM »
Now That We're Dead is surprisingly alright considering the runtime, but nothing special. Here Comes Revenge starts pretty good but doesn't really go anywhere interesting, 7 minutes isn't justified.
Always too soon, always too late, always in between.

Offline me7

• Disciple of the Cockroach
« Reply #3544 on: November 20, 2016, 01:45:59 PM »
I agree with almost everything Elite wrote a few post before, except for Kirk's performance on Atlas rise, I really like the solo section on this song. It's a bit un-Metallica and ventures into Power-Rangers-cheese territory, but at least it's fun and feels like Metallica moving forward rather than chasing the past.

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #3545 on: November 20, 2016, 01:58:05 PM »
Where the album falls flat to me completely is every single guitar solo Kirk Hammett plays. It's all the same, he sounds exhausted and like he has given up. Pentatonic scale abuse every single time, to the point where his solos are actually a chore to get through. Add to it that every song is (once again) written in E minor (except for Dream No More) and the record gets pretty shallow - on first listen at least.
As I said earlier I find the album pretty decent, but I kinda agree with you on Kirk's solos: they go in one ear and out the other. They're not bad to the point of ruining the songs, but not memorable either. It's glaringly obvious that he's the weak link of the band (yes, including Lars) nowadays, both live and in the studio. I didn't realize 11/12 of the songs are in E minor, but even on the classic Met albums pretty much every song is in that key. It doesn't bother me as much as the newer In Flames albums where every goddamn song is in A# minor.

Only two listens in, but those songs have definitely stood out to me as really cool songs.
NTWD has a cool groove and nice vocal melodies; it's got a strong Black Album vibe. Here Comes Revenge is one of the best tracks because of the dark verses, and I like how there's some semi-fast picking, though the song is mid-tempo.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #3546 on: November 20, 2016, 02:42:16 PM »
Lemmy had MURDER ONE on his amp.

Ah ok, thanks!

NTWD has a cool groove and nice vocal melodies; it's got a strong Black Album vibe. Here Comes Revenge is one of the best tracks because of the dark verses, and I like how there's some semi-fast picking, though the song is mid-tempo.

I essentially agree on both counts. Here Comes Revenge really has a great buildup in the verses.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3547 on: November 20, 2016, 02:57:23 PM »
it's cool that songs like Halo On Fire, Here Comes Revenge do at least have clean guitar and clean singing in the verses.

It's not JUST amps on full blast for 77 minutes. Light and shade and dynamics are always good.

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #3548 on: November 20, 2016, 04:17:01 PM »
Kirk has 4 writing credits on METALLICA and like 13 Across Load & Reload

Kirk doesn't even have a writing credit on One and that has one of the most iconic solos of all time.

I'm not sure which solo you're referring to, but Kirk has said that the first two solos were based around what James was jamming on at times.

The final solo with the fast tapping.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Online NoseofNicko

« Reply #3549 on: November 20, 2016, 05:11:38 PM »

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3550 on: November 20, 2016, 05:13:00 PM »
Spit out The Coke ?

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3551 on: November 20, 2016, 05:14:10 PM »
So far all the videos Metallica made for the new album have almost 60m views combined.

I dunno what that makes for them but add advertising on the videos on top plus all the live videos they put on there etc...

I reckon it's probably paid for all the videos to be made.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #3552 on: November 20, 2016, 05:30:27 PM »
Kirk has 4 writing credits on METALLICA and like 13 Across Load & Reload

Kirk doesn't even have a writing credit on One and that has one of the most iconic solos of all time.

I'm not sure which solo you're referring to, but Kirk has said that the first two solos were based around what James was jamming on at times.

The final solo with the fast tapping.

Yeah it's a good solo but throughout rock history no one has ever gotten a songwriting credit for playing a guitar solo. To receive songwriting credit you have to WRITE A SONG.

Offline Zoom E

« Reply #3553 on: November 20, 2016, 05:55:20 PM »
My bonus CD is scratched and skips madly during the last two songs.  :-\

Also, why is there no track listing for the bonus CD anywhere in the booklet?

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3554 on: November 20, 2016, 06:24:32 PM »
There kinda is in the credits.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3555 on: November 20, 2016, 06:49:43 PM »
I wish Confusion had a better chorus.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3556 on: November 20, 2016, 06:53:38 PM »

One of my first thoughts on the album too.   The riff , although a bit familiar , is great but by the end it seems a bit wasted on the song.  I still like it , but it could've been a lot better.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3557 on: November 20, 2016, 06:58:20 PM »

One of my first thoughts on the album too.   The riff , although a bit familiar , is great but by the end it seems a bit wasted on the song.  I still like it , but it could've been a lot better.

Still working my way trough it. ManUNKind, other than the (awesome) chorus, has a wicked Sabbath feel.

After two runs through, Atlas rise easily my fave.

Death Magnetic is much better IMO.

Definitely not worth the 8 years wait.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3558 on: November 20, 2016, 08:34:28 PM »
Death Magnetic is much better IMO.

I think I like them both the same but it's too early to tell.

I love the intro to Now That We're Dead, it's the most Black Album sounding song on this album IMO.
I'm trying to reach acceptance to how Here Comes Revenge failed capitalizing on that verse and pre-chorus, that menacing riffage and drumming pattern that comes in after the verse for a moment when he sings "I am here I’m hell unbound" then goes away to completely kill that menacing vibe on the next line "Burn your kingdom to the ground" and then the chorus, I think it needed to go another line or two. It's like having the verse of The Thing That Should Not Be lead into the chorus of Enter Sandman. I dunno if I'm making any sense but this bothers me so much every time I hear that song.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #3559 on: November 21, 2016, 02:08:32 AM »
Ok, heard it now once and have to echo mostly Elite's statement.

Not really feeling this, some songs are decent but overall I'm a little bit underwhelmed. This may change when I get more listens and I don't have my hopes up.

But what stands out are Kirk's absolutely unnecessary solos. He plays the same hammer-on/pull-off patterns with a wah wah pedal in every song. At first I don't mind, then it gets boring, then it gets annoying and then I'm glad when the solo is over.
The intros to most songs are meh, not having to do with the actual song and Lars trying to play in a marching bang?
Lars' drumming overall is okay but the sound of his base drum is not to my liking (and I'm still not a fan of his drumming style).
I think ManUNkind is lame. Spit Out The Bone is nice but this thrashy songs are done better by Slayer and/or Anthrax nowadays.

Maybe I'm just not that into Metallica anymore?
« Last Edit: November 21, 2016, 03:09:04 AM by Kwyjibo »
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #3560 on: November 21, 2016, 02:52:49 AM »
So far this album is okay as workout music.
That's it to be honest.  :lol

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #3561 on: November 21, 2016, 03:31:05 AM »
*pic*
Suddenly the cover makes more sense. :lol
Agreed. I feel like this would be a fairly solid album if you dropped Confusion, Hardwired, Am I Savage? and Atlas, Rise.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #3562 on: November 21, 2016, 03:37:11 AM »
Fair enough to those who aren't digging the album, but I'm not sure why some are suggesting that the popularity of the album and some specific songs are down to anything other than people simply liking them. It's ok for other people to get excited about things you don't like.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3563 on: November 21, 2016, 03:58:35 AM »
Fair enough to those who aren't digging the album, but I'm not sure why some are suggesting that the popularity of the album and some specific songs are down to anything other than people simply liking them. It's ok for other people to get excited about things you don't like.

The album blew me away. Much better than Death Magnetic for me.

By Miles.

Offline twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #3564 on: November 21, 2016, 04:14:29 AM »
After 2 listens to the new album I'm just relistening to DM, as I haven't listened to it in full for years. I actually like DM and have no problem with it. It's far from my favourite album of theirs but I enjoy certain songs quite a bit.

I resigned to the fact years ago that my new favourite albums nowadays are almost always likely to come from new bands I've gotten into fairly recently. When I find a new band that I like their sound will be fresh to my ears. The biggest thing is that I have no expectations as to what they should or shouldn't sound like. It's always nice when my classic favourite bands release a genuinely brilliant album but I know that happens very rarely for me now. I'm fine with that.

I'm happy that this new album will bring me some joy and I'll enjoy spinning it every now and then. I don't expect anything more out of a Metallica album anymore so I'm not disappointed.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #3565 on: November 21, 2016, 04:28:38 AM »

Yeah, this essentially. I consider myself a disillusioned Metallica fan, not caring for most anything after Load, but I happen to really dig this new album. A mix of personal tastes and also luck I guess, it could have been as well the other way around.

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #3566 on: November 21, 2016, 05:38:49 AM »

I think it's normal that you start thinking about why something is liked by many that you don't like and then you make speculations. They could be right or wrong but in the end they are just speculations and should be treated as such.

And also this can go both ways, how often is the one that doesn't like some music accused of having not understood the artist, the concept, has no taste, no soul no whatever ... That one simply doesnt like it is not always easily accepted.

I really see no problem, as long as the discussion remains respectful.

Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #3567 on: November 21, 2016, 06:23:02 AM »
And also this can go both ways, how often is the one that doesn't like some music accused of having not understood the artist, the concept, has no taste, no soul no whatever ... That one simply doesnt like it is not always easily accepted.
Indeed, and I am equally critical of that. :P

I really see no problem, as long as the discussion remains respectful.
It's civilised, certainly, but it depends what you mean by respectful. I personally always find it a little insulting when people equate their own tastes to objective quality and then try and discredit in some way the opinions of others.

EDIT: Obviously I'm not suggesting people shouldn't discuss reasons for liking/disliking something - quite the opposite in fact.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #3568 on: November 21, 2016, 07:43:03 AM »
I'm definitely liking this new album more than DM.

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #3569 on: November 21, 2016, 08:03:00 AM »
Got a good 3-4 listens in and it's a grown a bit but disk 2 is really not that good outside of Confusion and Spit out the Bone.