Author Topic: Taylor Swift  (Read 67788 times)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: Taylor Swift
« Reply #35 on: February 11, 2021, 09:23:15 PM »
Folklore is probably my most-listened-to album of the last two months.

:eek :eek

I have to say it again: I did not see this coming.

Even the songs I found boring at first sound quite good now.  As a whole, the album works extremely well.

Evermore is quite good as well.  Not quite as consistent, but its highs are just as good as those on Folklore.

And it looks like she is ready to release one of her older albums after completely re-recording it following the fiasco where she was unable to buy back her original master recordings.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #36 on: February 12, 2021, 06:52:53 AM »
Fearless.   And I understand that it will also include six other songs that were considered at the time but didn't make it.    I know my daughter is beside herself with joy (I think Fearless is her favorite of her "classic" albums). 

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #37 on: February 12, 2021, 09:53:59 AM »
I listened to folklore after Steven Wilson said it's a "fantastic" album. Last time I did that it was Zeit by Tangerine Dream he recommended. Now I'm a Tangerine Dream fan and own like 7 or 8 of their albums on vinyl.

I didn't want to like folklore, but actually I kinda did. I'm also a HUGE Lana Del Rey fan, but she is at least a little indie or darker or whatever. But yeah, I gotta admit, it's a pretty good album. BBT have dedicated one of their Passengers Club updates to folklore (since they also have an album called Folklore). I haven't found the time to listen to folklore more after my first spin, but I guess NOW I'll have to do it ;)
any rock can be made to roll

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #38 on: February 12, 2021, 06:49:11 PM »
Fearless.   And I understand that it will also include six other songs that were considered at the time but didn't make it.    I know my daughter is beside herself with joy (I think Fearless is her favorite of her "classic" albums).

I can't decide if her decision to do this is awesome or a bit too spiteful.  Probably both. :lol

Online NoseofNicko

« Reply #39 on: February 12, 2021, 07:28:37 PM »

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #40 on: February 12, 2021, 11:11:28 PM »
I didn't want to like folklore

Why?

Because it's Taylor Swift, whose fans call themselves Swifties and I'm a prog nerd who mostly wears black clothes and bitches over modern pop music constantly  :lol
any rock can be made to roll

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #41 on: February 12, 2021, 11:34:39 PM »
i listen to black metal and pop, often in the same day, you're fine

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #42 on: February 13, 2021, 06:52:46 AM »

I can't decide if her decision to do this is awesome or a bit too spiteful.  Probably both. :lol

Oh, it's definitely spiteful.  If you listen to the interviews related to the... whatever the live thing was she did, she's very bitter over what Scooter Braun "did" to her (in quotes because it's her opinion; your opinion may differ).    Having said that, I think for all she's matured and come into her own, I'm excited to hear it.  And she's not the first:  Kiss, Def Leppard...

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #43 on: February 13, 2021, 08:34:20 AM »

Oh, it's definitely spiteful.  If you listen to the interviews related to the... whatever the live thing was she did, she's very bitter over what Scooter Braun "did" to her (in quotes because it's her opinion; your opinion may differ).    Having said that, I think for all she's matured and come into her own, I'm excited to hear it.  And she's not the first:  Kiss, Def Leppard...

I had never heard Love Story before yesterday, unless it was on in the background somewhere and I tuned it because ya know country pop :lol, but I liked the new version.  I then listened to the original, and the two versions were extremely similar, but I thought the new one was more better because a) her voice now sounds more mature, and b) the country elements seemed more like the icing this time rather than the cake, if that makes sense, which works a lot better for someone who like me who is pretty much grossed out by the ever-growing trend of country pop (which often comes off to me as pop music with a twang). 

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #44 on: February 21, 2021, 09:04:36 AM »
I figured it was best to bring this comment to this thread, but we now have two of the biggest progressive rock "stars" of the 21st century, Neal Morse and Steven Wilson, giving Taylor Swift props for her 2020 work (and yes, I realize somewhere SW's head is exploding due to me referring to him as a progressive rock star).

I texted a friend last week, "If you had told me three months ago, 'Transatlantic, Steven Wilson and Taylor Swift will all be releasing new albums, and the Swift one will be the one you listen to the most,' I would have died laughing, but here we are." 

Anyone else still listening to both Folklore and Evermore a lot?  I cannot get enough of either.

Favorite songs are:

Exile
Mirrorball
August
This Is My Trying (I listen to this at least once a daily basis)
Mad Woman
Epiphany

Champagne Problems
Gold Rush (this one I also listen to daily)
Happiness
Coney Island
Marjorie

Offline The Realm

« Reply #45 on: February 21, 2021, 03:02:12 PM »
Yes, I have listened to both albums - Folklore and Evermore, too many times to count and both way more times than Transatlantic or Steven Wilson new albums. In honesty I probably only listen to Taylor Swift because my daughters are big fans but these albums really sucked me in. Some really brilliant and beautiful song writing.

Offline HOF

« Reply #46 on: February 21, 2021, 11:37:59 PM »
I haven’t listened to Folklore or Evermore, but I thought the song Steven Wilson covered was better than anything on his new album.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #47 on: February 22, 2021, 07:19:40 AM »
If you like the records, the live thing from the barn is crucial.  I think it's so good.

Offline The Realm

« Reply #48 on: February 22, 2021, 03:00:59 PM »
Yes, I too love the 'live thing from the barn'.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #49 on: February 22, 2021, 03:23:03 PM »
I still haven't seen that yet, but Exile from it is on YT and that is great stuff.  That barn version might be better than the studio version.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #50 on: February 23, 2021, 06:57:29 PM »
Speaking of the live thing, My Tears Richocet from it is on YT...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zJJZ1cqFFU0

This is all kinds of awesome. She has an uncanny ability to make such a simple vocal melody sound wonderful. 

If anyone is unfamiliar with any of her 2020 material, take 4 minutes and watch that. :hefdaddy :hefdaddy

Offline NoFred

« Reply #51 on: February 25, 2021, 09:26:22 PM »
Speaking of the live thing, My Tears Richocet from it is on YT...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zJJZ1cqFFU0

This is all kinds of awesome. She has an uncanny ability to make such a simple vocal melody sound wonderful. 

If anyone is unfamiliar with any of her 2020 material, take 4 minutes and watch that. :hefdaddy :hefdaddy

Is good, and reminds me of low volume early Tori Amos/Under the Pink for the vocal melody skill

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #52 on: February 26, 2021, 09:17:24 AM »

Is good, and reminds me of low volume early Tori Amos/Under the Pink for the vocal melody skill

Yeah, I have noticed that Swift has a very nice lower range.  She is not one of those singers who will knock your socks off with crazy high notes, but she has a nice voice in general, and she really knows how to use it.  It feels like some of those singers who were born with great voices feel the need to show it off too often and often at the expense of real emotion and/or character, but Taylor seems like the complete opposite.

Offline bluefox4000

« Reply #53 on: February 26, 2021, 11:39:58 AM »
I was introduced to Swift Via a friend.  Before that i'd tuned her out because her very early country singles were just not my thing so i just was off listening to other things.

than in 2014.  my friend pointed in 1989's direction.  i was like yea ok fine i'll try it :lol  now i had no idea she ditched the country at that point.  and one thing about me.........i love me some Metal and prog like you all.  but i'm kind of a sucker for pop more.  i lean further that ways.

1989 blew me away with how good it was!!! girl could write a hook and i was.....hooked, lol

Since 2014 i've followed her actively.  some stuff i've liked more than others but what a great writer.  and i think folklore is probably the best album by a major pop star in decades.  evermore i enjoyed but less than folklore. but it's still very good.

and i still don't enjoy her first 2 albums not my thing.  Speak now was a major step up.  but to me Red was her really planting herself as an artist. 

the only Swift album i was disappointed in was Reputation.  too much beat dropping trap music.  and such whiny lyrics.  and my Mom brought e up to never ever whine, lol

But yea i love her.  Master at her raft.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #54 on: February 26, 2021, 08:31:26 PM »
I was introduced to Swift Via a friend.  Before that i'd tuned her out because her very early country singles were just not my thing so i just was off listening to other things.

than in 2014.  my friend pointed in 1989's direction.  i was like yea ok fine i'll try it :lol  now i had no idea she ditched the country at that point.  and one thing about me.........i love me some Metal and prog like you all.  but i'm kind of a sucker for pop more.  i lean further that ways.

1989 blew me away with how good it was!!! girl could write a hook and i was.....hooked, lol

Since 2014 i've followed her actively.  some stuff i've liked more than others but what a great writer.  and i think folklore is probably the best album by a major pop star in decades.  evermore i enjoyed but less than folklore. but it's still very good.

and i still don't enjoy her first 2 albums not my thing.  Speak now was a major step up.  but to me Red was her really planting herself as an artist. 

the only Swift album i was disappointed in was Reputation.  too much beat dropping trap music.  and such whiny lyrics.  and my Mom brought e up to never ever whine, lol

But yea i love her.  Master at her raft.

I have checked out quite a bit of her pop stuff recently.  I like some of it, but I don't feel that is her at her best. Given her lyrical prowess, it feels like storytelling is her greatest strength, and that can lost in the sheen of pop production, although she writes such strong hooks that they still work sometimes.  I am a sucker for a well written pop song AND 80's (sounding) material, so her hits from 1989 are right up my alley. Welcome to New York is such a fun little song.

Based on what I have heard, it doesn't feel like Reputation was particularly strong, but I love the sound and vibe of the songs.  They have that kind of "night on the town" feel to them. Reminds me a bit of the Nightlife album by Pet Shop Boys in that regard.  I do like the song Delicate quite a bit.

I think Folklore is a little better than Evermore - I think the best 7-8 songs from each are pretty even, but while I like everything on Evermore, it feels like the least best songs from Folklore are quite a bit better than the least best songs from Evermore - but I think both albums are major keepers. 

Lastly, I know she is pretty proud of the song Lover, and she should be.   That is a great song by any standard.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #55 on: March 02, 2021, 05:05:24 AM »
I was wondering why a thread about Taylor Swift was continously popping up in this forum. I mean, not that it's a sin, this is not the tr00 metal kvlt forum and there's space for a little bit of anything, but I was curious to see a name so famous that I deemed associated with the classic commercial poppy dance-y stuff.

So out of curiosity I went to see what exactly was up with Taylor Swift, and discovered she made not one, but two albums in the acoustic / folkish / indie / minimalistic vein. Checked out the video for cardigan, and loved it, so I went and listened to the whole Folklore album.

It's a cool one! Maybe not all songs are masterpieces, but I love this kind of stuff with an underlying mood or theme, I will definitively pay more attention to the album (I mean, I work from home, I have 8 hours each day to listen to music, it's already in my daily rotation, started yesterday), and then I will move on to Evermore which I understand is more of the same.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #56 on: March 02, 2021, 05:18:40 AM »
If you enjoy the more folkier aspect of Taylors two new albums I'd recommend 'First Aid Kit' - two Swedish sisters with truly outstanding vocals,  they do the Folk Pop Americana meld really well.

Couple of vids.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wp3op-DYFG4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=veHUZMoKObc

And here's a vid of them singing their song Emmylou with Emmylou Harris is the audience, and she is moved to tears.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hi5A9OCAyIk

Not trying to hijack the thread just adding a band who have a similar sound.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #57 on: March 02, 2021, 06:31:53 AM »
I was wondering why a thread about Taylor Swift was continously popping up in this forum. I mean, not that it's a sin, this is not the tr00 metal kvlt forum and there's space for a little bit of anything, but I was curious to see a name so famous that I deemed associated with the classic commercial poppy dance-y stuff.

So out of curiosity I went to see what exactly was up with Taylor Swift, and discovered she made not one, but two albums in the acoustic / folkish / indie / minimalistic vein. Checked out the video for cardigan, and loved it, so I went and listened to the whole Folklore album.

It's a cool one! Maybe not all songs are masterpieces, but I love this kind of stuff with an underlying mood or theme, I will definitively pay more attention to the album (I mean, I work from home, I have 8 hours each day to listen to music, it's already in my daily rotation, started yesterday), and then I will move on to Evermore which I understand is more of the same.

Nice!  Evermore is almost as good as Folklore, IMO, so I am sure you will enjoy that one as well.  The hooks on these albums aren't as immediate as the ones on her pop albums, but they are there, just a bit more subtle.  And the more you listen, the more they get stuck in your head.  Her ability to twist a phrase lyrically while hitting the hook in her vocal melody at just the right time to match the story she is singing about is masterful.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #58 on: March 14, 2021, 02:11:54 PM »
Taylor confirmed that Jack Antonoff and Aaron Dressner will be performing with her tonight on the Grammys*.  My guess is they will do Cardigan, which was the only number 1 hit from Folklore and is nominated for two awards tonight. 

*Props to her for getting me to pay a tiny bit of attention to the Grammy's for the first time in decades.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #59 on: March 14, 2021, 07:48:26 PM »
Nice little medley of Cardigan, August and Willow.  She was clearly singing along to a backing track of herself, but the cabin in the woods/fairy tale visuals were very nice. 

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #60 on: March 14, 2021, 08:29:20 PM »
I loved it. Jack Antonoff is a tool - for some reason I just don't like that guy - but the performance was really good.  I have nothing bad to say about Taylor Swift at this point.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #61 on: March 14, 2021, 08:53:25 PM »
Me neither.  She seems like a very genuine and kind soul.  The constant love she gives to her fans is something to behold; it's no wonder they worship the ground she walks on, haha.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #62 on: March 14, 2021, 09:17:49 PM »
Album of the Year!!  :tup :tup

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #63 on: March 15, 2021, 02:17:03 AM »

Listening to it right now, as I'm doing basically every day since I discovered it. Glad that, as commercial as the Grammy are, they can recognize actual good music when it comes their way!
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #64 on: March 15, 2021, 03:27:10 PM »

Listening to it right now, as I'm doing basically every day since I discovered it. Glad that, as commercial as the Grammy are, they can recognize actual good music when it comes their way!

Now, let's see Evermore win Album of the Year next year...ha!  :biggrin:

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #65 on: March 15, 2021, 06:29:38 PM »
Last night's performance (for anyone interested):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uzii44SDYFA

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #66 on: March 15, 2021, 06:52:17 PM »

Is she lip syncing? It sounds a little too studio.

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #67 on: March 15, 2021, 07:14:03 PM »

It's entirely possible she is lip syncing. The only reason I say that is because it's the Grammys. I don't think any performance is truly "live" at the Grammys. I could be wrong. :dunno:
aka Puppies_On_Acid
Hey Stadler, your PM inbox is full.
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #68 on: March 15, 2021, 08:35:48 PM »
There was clearly a backing track, but I couldn't tell if she was singing live the whole time or not.  There were times where it seemed like she was harmonizing with a backing vocal of herself.  Wouldn't surprise me either way.  Still a nice little performance.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #69 on: March 16, 2021, 08:10:30 AM »

It's entirely possible she is lip syncing. The only reason I say that is because it's the Grammys. I don't think any performance is truly "live" at the Grammys. I could be wrong. :dunno:

I forget who it was, but it might have been Megan Thee Stallion, but in and between all the hip-gyrating and breast swaying, she blew the transition and her line started a beat and a half before the mic made it up and her lips started moving.

I don't think Harry Styles was lip-synching though.  His performance was early on when they had the "Jools Holland" stage setup, not one of the later dance numbers (which are always suspect).