Author Topic: Official Neal Morse Appreciation Thread  (Read 554268 times)

Offline HOF

Re: Official Neal Morse Appreciation Thread
« Reply #6860 on: June 19, 2023, 09:00:30 PM »
He’s actually done a lot of non-religious stuff, but it’s more in his singer-songwriter albums and in Flying Colors (or the D’Virgilio, Morse & Jennings album).

Offline Mladen

« Reply #6861 on: June 20, 2023, 01:27:43 AM »
Absolutely. I don't remember Life and times having a single Jesus reference. Maybe only one in the last song.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #6862 on: June 20, 2023, 06:50:10 AM »
I'm going to pass on this. Also in the 'burnt out on Neal's cowd. My willingness to ignore the Jesus stuff has waned as well.

i had a high tolerance too but it's waning.  i find it astounding he can't write about ANYTHING else........like nearly ever, lol

I think there's a little bit of "out of balance".   I find when he writes about the Jesus stuff more obliquely - I personally think the Whirlwind is a great example of that, and you seem to see that more in the projects - it's IMO really effective.  The more literal, the more narrative he gets, which seems to be that material that gets saved for the solo stuff, the less I seem to like it. Not "tolerate", since I could care less across the board, but some of the more straightforward narrative stuff is too wordy and it seems like the words are more crammed into the music instead of it being organic. 

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #6863 on: June 20, 2023, 08:12:31 AM »
Didn't care for the new song very much.

My question is, now that the last several Neal Morse solo, NMB, and Transatlantic albums have been released on Spotify, is there a timeline for the earlier albums to show up there?  I would understand the answer "Never" if these albums hadn't been released there, but they were, so "Never" doesn't really seem like a viable option.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline bluefox4000

« Reply #6864 on: June 20, 2023, 08:33:11 AM »
I'm going to pass on this. Also in the 'burnt out on Neal's cowd. My willingness to ignore the Jesus stuff has waned as well.

i had a high tolerance too but it's waning.  i find it astounding he can't write about ANYTHING else........like nearly ever, lol

I think there's a little bit of "out of balance".   I find when he writes about the Jesus stuff more obliquely - I personally think the Whirlwind is a great example of that, and you seem to see that more in the projects - it's IMO really effective.  The more literal, the more narrative he gets, which seems to be that material that gets saved for the solo stuff, the less I seem to like it. Not "tolerate", since I could care less across the board, but some of the more straightforward narrative stuff is too wordy and it seems like the words are more crammed into the music instead of it being organic.

i agree.  Like i loved Bridge Across forever There are illusions to a higher power in moments but it doesn't get heavy.....Except  maybe the title song.  I love  the whirlwind too but the finale beats you over the head a lot, lol.  Then Kaleidoscope was overt as well.  and this is just transatlantic.

Stuff like Similitude i can handle well cause the music fucking rocks and it plays like almost an audiobook.

JCTE i couldn't cause having gone to church as a boy/young teen.  That plays like a corny sermon and it doesn't work IMO.

one more Example the NMB's Innocence and Danger has Very little of it and that's one of my favs.  so yes it depends with Neal but i do stand by that him solo has become the worst for this.  whereas the early stuff was really tolerable.  These days he really can't get that balance solo anymore.  Neal is much better off in a band these days is my long winded point, lol.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #6865 on: June 20, 2023, 09:00:26 AM »

i agree.  Like i loved Bridge Across forever There are illusions to a higher power in moments but it doesn't get heavy.....Except  maybe the title song.  I love  the whirlwind too but the finale beats you over the head a lot, lol.  Then Kaleidoscope was overt as well.  and this is just transatlantic.

Stuff like Similitude i can handle well cause the music fucking rocks and it plays like almost an audiobook.

JCTE i couldn't cause having gone to church as a boy/young teen.  That plays like a corny sermon and it doesn't work IMO.

one more Example the NMB's Innocence and Danger has Very little of it and that's one of my favs.  so yes it depends with Neal but i do stand by that him solo has become the worst for this.  whereas the early stuff was really tolerable.  These days he really can't get that balance solo anymore.  Neal is much better off in a band these days is my long winded point, lol.

And ironically, mostly because of what I was (and am) going through in real life, "Innocence and Danger" is one of their MORE spiritual works for me.   I contemplate that record more than almost any other of Neal's records.

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #6866 on: June 20, 2023, 09:13:23 AM »

My question is, now that the last several Neal Morse solo, NMB, and Transatlantic albums have been released on Spotify, is there a timeline for the earlier albums to show up there?  I would understand the answer "Never" if these albums hadn't been released there, but they were, so "Never" doesn't really seem like a viable option.

I always thought it had to do with Neal signing with Frontiers and InsideOut. I could see the record labels saying, 'we support you but you have to agree to release your records with us on spotify.' Because that's the ones that are there.

And I don't think his older records will follow soon, he has his Waterfall streaming service and who would subscribe to that if everything is on spotify.

But I'm just guessing, who knows what's really up?
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #6867 on: June 20, 2023, 09:23:02 AM »

They were on Spotify once upon a time? Would love to see them back on there. Using youtube to listen to them blows.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #6868 on: June 20, 2023, 09:42:44 AM »

I agree with this.  Of course, him singing about it obliquely means we will get many mentions of light and water :P :lol.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #6869 on: June 20, 2023, 09:59:46 AM »

I agree with this.  Of course, him singing about it obliquely means we will get many mentions of light and water :P :lol.

And probably wind and fire. Just throw in all the classical elements while we're at it.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #6870 on: June 20, 2023, 01:17:06 PM »

They were on Spotify once upon a time? Would love to see them back on there. Using youtube to listen to them blows.
The older stuff was never on Spotify, but the newer stuff is.

I always thought it had to do with Neal signing with Frontiers and InsideOut. I could see the record labels saying, 'we support you but you have to agree to release your records with us on spotify.' Because that's the ones that are there.

And I don't think his older records will follow soon, he has his Waterfall streaming service and who would subscribe to that if everything is on spotify.

But I'm just guessing, who knows what's really up?
Oh, the record label stuff is probably the answer.  And yes, who would subscribe to Waterfall if everything was on Spotify?  No one, most likely.  Which is the point.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Kram

« Reply #6871 on: June 20, 2023, 04:37:00 PM »
Count me on the side of those not feeling it and not too excited about this.  I'll probably buy a digital version, just to support Neal as he's one of my all-time favorites, but I'm pretty disappointed that the NMB seems to be on hold for a few years.  All four of the NMB albums have been OUTSTANDING!  The chemistry the 5 of them have is undeniable, and I've been LOVING the contributions of Eric and Bill. This Joseph stuff does nothing for me sadly..

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #6872 on: June 20, 2023, 05:13:51 PM »
Count me on the side of those not feeling it and not too excited about this.  I'll probably buy a digital version, just to support Neal as he's one of my all-time favorites, but I'm pretty disappointed that the NMB seems to be on hold for a few years.  All four of the NMB albums have been OUTSTANDING!  The chemistry the 5 of them have is undeniable, and I've been LOVING the contributions of Eric and Bill. This Joseph stuff does nothing for me sadly..

Same here.  Despite my lack of excitement for the project, I will certainly buy it. 

Offline Pebsie

« Reply #6873 on: June 21, 2023, 07:58:13 AM »

Have you ever considered.... paying for music? :lol

edit: tbf given the lack of CD drives on modern computers buying a CD doesn't guarantee you can easily rip it and chuck it on your iTunes or whatever, so it's perfectly reasonable to use YT for music. That said the digital versions are all on Radiant.

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #6874 on: June 21, 2023, 08:17:11 AM »
Have you ever considered.... paying for music? :lol

edit: tbf given the lack of CD drives on modern computers buying a CD doesn't guarantee you can easily rip it and chuck it on your iTunes or whatever, so it's perfectly reasonable to use YT for music. That said the digital versions are all on Radiant.

My dude, I bought all his stuff a long time ago. Unfortunately, it got lost when I moved a long time ago, so I would love to have easy access from Spotify.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #6875 on: June 21, 2023, 08:18:52 AM »
Plus, Radiant is the worst, so you never want to buy from them unless you have no other choice.  I love supporting Neal's music, but not from Radiant.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #6876 on: June 21, 2023, 08:54:42 AM »
Plus, Radiant is the worst, so you never want to buy from them unless you have no other choice.  I love supporting Neal's music, but not from Radiant.
No kidding.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #6877 on: June 23, 2023, 01:41:20 AM »
I'm pretty disappointed that the NMB seems to be on hold for a few years.  All four of the NMB albums have been OUTSTANDING! 
Agree on all points!  Mike Portnoy is spread way too thin for the NMB to reach its full potential.  Winery Dogs is really getting in the way,  but I get it since the WD have a bigger draw.  Even though the music is not even a fraction as good as the NMB.. 
Sons of Apollo will likely be the next delay to the NMB moving forward. 
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6878 on: June 23, 2023, 05:57:58 AM »
I'm pretty disappointed that the NMB seems to be on hold for a few years.  All four of the NMB albums have been OUTSTANDING! 

Sons of Apollo is more likely done.

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #6879 on: June 23, 2023, 06:38:57 AM »

What do you mean? The band is done or a new album is mostly done?
any rock can be made to roll

Offline HOF

« Reply #6880 on: June 23, 2023, 08:45:19 AM »
Agree on all points!  Mike Portnoy is spread way too thin for the NMB to reach its full potential.  Winery Dogs is really getting in the way,  but I get it since the WD have a bigger draw.  Even though the music is not even a fraction as good as the NMB.. 

NMB did three albums in the space between the second and third TWD albums, and this is I think the second TWD tour since 2015? Granted, TWD did sort of morph into Sons of Apollo in that time, but I wouldn't say he's prioritizing TWD over NMB. I think the hold for NMB has more to do with Neal wanting to do some different stuff (and it sounds like SoA is done as a band at this point).

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #6881 on: June 23, 2023, 08:53:53 AM »

NMB did three albums in the space between the second and third TWD albums, and this is I think the second TWD tour since 2015? Granted, TWD did sort of morph into Sons of Apollo in that time, but I wouldn't say he's prioritizing TWD over NMB. I think the hold for NMB has more to do with Neal wanting to do some different stuff (and it sounds like SoA is done as a band at this point).

This is my understanding as well. Neal has a lot he wants to do and I feel like maybe he's doing all this stuff *now* while he feels like he has the time and energy to. I do think NMB will reconvene, perhaps between Morsefests this year, and hash out session times for the next album, but given his age, I don't see him doing it much longer.

I'd still love another Flying Colors album too, but given Steve Morse's life situation at the moment I'm not sure he'd be willing to commit to it, and of course, also working around Mike's schedule as well. If I had to pick between NMB5 and FC4, I may go with the former.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6882 on: June 23, 2023, 09:31:00 AM »

SoA is done as a band

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #6883 on: June 23, 2023, 10:29:06 AM »

SoA is done as a band

How so? Where is this information coming from? I mean, not that I'm too sad as I find their music pretty boring, but... didn't they form that band to "make history"?
any rock can be made to roll

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6884 on: June 23, 2023, 10:30:42 AM »

SoA is done as a band

How so? Where is this information coming from? I mean, not that I'm too sad as I find their music pretty boring, but... didn't they form that band to "make history"?

Ask Rodrigo privately

Offline efx

« Reply #6885 on: June 23, 2023, 11:15:16 AM »
I'd say Derek made it pretty official in this post as well... https://ibb.co/Mgy5Rtx

Edit: fb link. Comment about halfway down https://fb.watch/llzklEUgVI/

Offline Kram

« Reply #6886 on: June 23, 2023, 11:42:07 AM »

This is my understanding as well. Neal has a lot he wants to do and I feel like maybe he's doing all this stuff *now* while he feels like he has the time and energy to. I do think NMB will reconvene, perhaps between Morsefests this year, and hash out session times for the next album, but given his age, I don't see him doing it much longer.

I'd still love another Flying Colors album too, but given Steve Morse's life situation at the moment I'm not sure he'd be willing to commit to it, and of course, also working around Mike's schedule as well. If I had to pick between NMB5 and FC4, I may go with the former.

-Marc.
I think this is all true but I believe the reason for so much time between TWD releases was Ritchie wanting to do more solo stuff.  Had he not, we probably would've gotten more TWD and less NMB - which would've made the world a worse place lol.  Look, I get it, TWD has a bigger draw - but their music does ZERO for me sadly.  The NMB is one of my favorite bands now.  Maybe if Mike AND Neal put all their efforts into the NMB, they'd have more success?  I'm also down for FC4 by the way..

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #6887 on: June 23, 2023, 12:14:24 PM »
The NMB is by far my favorite of all the bands MP is involved with.   TWD while talented doesn't do anything for me either. I'm not much of a fan of the vocals and cheesy lyrics. 
SOA is a big step up from TWD, and they put on a excellent live show. Jeff Scott Sodo is a great frontman and singer.
The NMB has a lot more depth in their music than both bands mentioned above imo.
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #6888 on: June 23, 2023, 12:24:20 PM »

-Marc.
I think this is all true but I believe the reason for so much time between TWD releases was Ritchie wanting to do more solo stuff.  Had he not, we probably would've gotten more TWD and less NMB - which would've made the world a worse place lol.  Look, I get it, TWD has a bigger draw - but their music does ZERO for me sadly.  The NMB is one of my favorite bands now.  Maybe if Mike AND Neal put all their efforts into the NMB, they'd have more success?  I'm also down for FC4 by the way..

And with Transatlantic all but confirmed to be finished, I am hoping (and praying) that any Neal/Mike collab going forth is NMB, which does seem more likely than FC. I just hope there's enough time between both of them and their own projects - NM and his solo stuff, MP and his half-dozen other projects, of which, where the heck is LTE4 and an LTE tour?? I'd put NMB on hold for an LTE tour and new album!

Hopefully there will be some news or announcements regarding the future of NMB by the end of both Morsefests this year. Has anyone heard about how Eric is doing?

-Marc.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #6889 on: June 23, 2023, 12:46:26 PM »
I'd say Derek made it pretty official in this post as well... https://ibb.co/Mgy5Rtx

Edit: fb link. Comment about halfway down https://fb.watch/llzklEUgVI/

Just posting what you linked as an image here so it's easier to see:

As for FC4, IIRC they are scheduled to play at CTTE next year, so I think they might gather at some point later this year to probably try to start working on something?
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #6890 on: June 23, 2023, 01:01:44 PM »
As for FC4, IIRC they are scheduled to play at CTTE next year, so I think they might gather at some point later this year to probably try to start working on something?

A new FC album in time for next CTTE would be amazing. I had no idea they would be on the cruise, but that's exciting news as they haven't toured since, what, 2019? Another five years between performances, and if we're lucky, only five years between albums again. Second Nature in 2014, Third Degree in 2019, and hopefully FC4 in 2024. We can hope! I really enjoyed TD a lot and would love to hear what else the band has to say through their music!

-Marc.

Offline Kram

« Reply #6891 on: June 23, 2023, 01:46:44 PM »

A new FC album in time for next CTTE would be amazing. I had no idea they would be on the cruise, but that's exciting news as they haven't toured since, what, 2019? Another five years between performances, and if we're lucky, only five years between albums again. Second Nature in 2014, Third Degree in 2019, and hopefully FC4 in 2024. We can hope! I really enjoyed TD a lot and would love to hear what else the band has to say through their music!

-Marc.
I really enjoyed Third Degree as well. Some felt it was too “proggy”, but the songs were there for me so the “prog” didn’t get in the way of my enjoyment lol. I’d still take a new NMB album though given a choice.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #6892 on: June 23, 2023, 01:50:37 PM »

-Marc.
I really enjoyed Third Degree as well. Some felt it was too “proggy”, but the songs were there for me so the “prog” didn’t get in the way of my enjoyment lol. I’d still take a new NMB album though given a choice.

It's a coin-flip for me, for sure, but given the fact that NMB has released four albums since 2015 and FC has only released one, I think FC should be given its due.

-Marc.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #6893 on: June 23, 2023, 04:09:39 PM »

SoA is done as a band

That band was DOA.  It didn't have the songs, and Derek went out of his way to piss off a big chunk of their target audience, hence this predictable outcome.

I will take either.  :biggrin: :biggrin:

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Your sloth is in another castle
« Reply #6894 on: June 23, 2023, 04:12:10 PM »
Yea, I feel a bit of schadenfreude with the end of SOA. Didn’t they come out of the gate saying they were the “new kings of Prog Metal?” What a short reign that was.