Author Topic: Official Neal Morse Appreciation Thread  (Read 554258 times)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: Official Neal Morse Appreciation Thread
« Reply #6265 on: December 09, 2021, 07:39:40 PM »
Mine came Tuesday.  I still can't believe I got three six-disk sets, one three-disk set, one two-disk set and two single disks for $16.  I almost feel guilty (I'm not kidding).

Hit confession this weekend and all will be forgiven. :)

Offline darkshade

« Reply #6266 on: December 10, 2021, 02:52:02 PM »
My order arrived today. Songs from November, Life and Times, Morsefest 2014 and 2015, and Testimony 2 Live. All for about $9.

A steal! Lots of CD ripping to get around to.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #6267 on: December 10, 2021, 03:22:51 PM »
My order arrived today. Songs from November, Life and Times, Morsefest 2014 and 2015, and Testimony 2 Live. All for about $9.

Nice haul! My tracking number says my order arrived today as well but I've been at work all day. I got Life & Times, MF 2014 2BD, and the MF 2015 2BD (I had the 4CD/2DVD sets of those already but I couldn't pass up getting the concert videos in HD for only $1.99). I'm glad I didn't already buy those three items from Amazon where they were all at least $15 each. Everything else that was on sale I've already owned since their release, but it's nice to finally own Life & Times on CD.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline darkshade

« Reply #6268 on: December 11, 2021, 02:27:00 PM »

Nice haul! My tracking number says my order arrived today as well but I've been at work all day. I got Life & Times, MF 2014 2BD, and the MF 2015 2BD (I had the 4CD/2DVD sets of those already but I couldn't pass up getting the concert videos in HD for only $1.99). I'm glad I didn't already buy those three items from Amazon where they were all at least $15 each. Everything else that was on sale I've already owned since their release, but it's nice to finally own Life & Times on CD.

-Marc.

The one I missed out on, that seemed to be sold out once I tried ordering it, was Morsefest 2017 I think it was. Oh well. I probably would have never bought these albums otherwise, I'm not a big live prog album listener.

Offline 425

« Reply #6269 on: December 17, 2021, 08:06:59 AM »
Today we announce pre-order of a new batch of the Morsefest 2019 4CD/ 2 Blu ray set, which won Live Album of the Year in @ProgReport 2021 Awards.
200 copies are available and will dispatch from mid-Jan 2022. Plus… for European fans - 100 copies will be on sale on the NMB 2022 European tour! https://www.nealmorse.com/product/morsefest-2019/

It's not very clear from this announcement, but you can order these on Radiant right now.

I decided not to get this on the first run, because I'm not much a fan of Flying Colors, but regretted my decision after they sold out. So this is perfect for me.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #6270 on: December 18, 2021, 09:55:24 PM »
Mine came Tuesday.  I still can't believe I got three six-disk sets, one three-disk set, one two-disk set and two single disks for $16.  I almost feel guilty (I'm not kidding).

I'd feel guilty too but the shipping wasn't double what I ordered.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #6271 on: December 19, 2021, 09:41:52 AM »
Today we announce pre-order of a new batch of the Morsefest 2019 4CD/ 2 Blu ray set, which won Live Album of the Year in @ProgReport 2021 Awards.
200 copies are available and will dispatch from mid-Jan 2022. Plus… for European fans - 100 copies will be on sale on the NMB 2022 European tour! https://www.nealmorse.com/product/morsefest-2019/

It's not very clear from this announcement, but you can order these on Radiant right now.

I decided not to get this on the first run, because I'm not much a fan of Flying Colors, but regretted my decision after they sold out. So this is perfect for me.

Me too; ordered it yesterday.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #6272 on: December 24, 2021, 08:25:31 PM »
After a few recent listens, I am pretty comfortable now calling Innocence and Danger the 3rd best album the NMB have done, behind the obvious (for me) number 1 in Similitude and The Grand Experiment.

Even though I still find the running order a bit off, I do think Beyond the Years is one of the best super long epics Neal has even been a part of (whether it be NMB, solo, TA or Spock's), and The Way It Had to Be and Bird on a Wire are legit top tier songs as well.  A few minor quibbles aside, like me not being overly wild about the verse melodies in Do It All Again or finding some of the lyrics in Not Afraid Part 2 a bit too cheesy at times, almost everything else ranges from good to very good.  I wouldn't call the album as a whole a home run, but it's a stand-up triple.  :tup :tup

I know the defenders of The Great Adventure will rush in to talk that one up (and for me, it is very good, just the clear 4th best out of 4), but what do other NMB fans think?

Offline DTA

« Reply #6273 on: December 24, 2021, 08:43:43 PM »
It's probably sitting at 4th place for me. I listened intently for the first couple weeks after it was released, but haven't even thought about it since. I did like a lot of the material but there's nothing on there I desperately need to hear again, whereas I get the urge to play Similitude/Adventure straight through every few months. The Grand Experiment's shorter run-time works in its favor as the 5 songs all have strong identities and I don't get bored of it. Between TA releasing a double and Sola Gratia coming out last year, I think I&D felt too much like "more of the same" to really make an impact in my musical world.

Offline 425

« Reply #6274 on: December 24, 2021, 11:18:27 PM »
After a few recent listens, I am pretty comfortable now calling Innocence and Danger the 3rd best album the NMB have done, behind the obvious (for me) number 1 in Similitude and The Grand Experiment.

Even though I still find the running order a bit off, I do think Beyond the Years is one of the best super long epics Neal has even been a part of (whether it be NMB, solo, TA or Spock's), and The Way It Had to Be and Bird on a Wire are legit top tier songs as well.  A few minor quibbles aside, like me not being overly wild about the verse melodies in Do It All Again or finding some of the lyrics in Not Afraid Part 2 a bit too cheesy at times, almost everything else ranges from good to very good.  I wouldn't call the album as a whole a home run, but it's a stand-up triple.  :tup :tup

I know the defenders of The Great Adventure will rush in to talk that one up (and for me, it is very good, just the clear 4th best out of 4), but what do other NMB fans think?

I'm one of those big Great Adventure fans, and that one is still #1 for me.

Innocence & Danger is probably in a competition for #2 with The Grand Experiment. I don't think anything beats the first and last songs of TGE, but I&D is more consistent and there's more of it (two features that don't often go hand-in-hand). To me, the weak link, to the extent there is one, is actually Not Afraid Pt. 1. Just feels a bit long for what it is. I love both epics and actually really, really like the lyrics on Not Afraid, Pt. 2. I also think Your Place in the Sun is really cool. I tend to be bearish in my ranking of new albums, so right now I'd still have TGE at #2 and I&D at #3, but that's a close call and could easily change with more time.

I'm a bit anomalous in that I put TSOAD last among the NMB albums, but that definitely doesn't mean I find it bad. These are four phenomenal albums, and this is the one that just doesn't connect with me quite as well. It's mainly the first disc that doesn't wow me. All the songs are good, but the section from We Have Got to Go through The Ways of a Fool just doesn't blow me away. From So Far Gone through the end it's amazing (with the exception of Sloth—again, good song, doesn't wow me), but that slightly down section is enough to drop it behind their other three albums. It's hard not to compare TSOAD and TGA, and the equivalent section on TGA (A Momentary Change through Venture in Black) is just head-and-shoulders better IMO, just a spectacular run of songs.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline Mladen

« Reply #6275 on: December 25, 2021, 03:09:09 AM »
1. The Great adventure
2. The Similitude
3. Innocence & danger
4. The Grand experiment

The first two are really close, though. I keep changing my mind.  ;D

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #6276 on: December 25, 2021, 07:25:34 AM »
1. The Similitude
2. The Grand Experiment
3. Innocence & Danger
4. The Great Adventure
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #6277 on: December 26, 2021, 07:20:42 AM »
It's probably sitting at 4th place for me. I listened intently for the first couple weeks after it was released, but haven't even thought about it since. I did like a lot of the material but there's nothing on there I desperately need to hear again, whereas I get the urge to play Similitude/Adventure straight through every few months. The Grand Experiment's shorter run-time works in its favor as the 5 songs all have strong identities and I don't get bored of it. Between TA releasing a double and Sola Gratia coming out last year, I think I&D felt too much like "more of the same" to really make an impact in my musical world.

I think I&D has enough different stuff to not feel like a "more of the same" kinda album, although I get that a prog album heavily featuring Neal will always be pretty heavy on his usual tropes, and that can be difficult to overlook for some.  I get it.  Beyond the Years, for example, is more of a Bill piece than a Neal one apparently, but the structure of the song is still very much in line with what we usually get from one Neal writes (alone or with a band where he is the main writer).

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #6278 on: December 26, 2021, 07:29:00 AM »

I'm one of those big Great Adventure fans, and that one is still #1 for me.

Innocence & Danger is probably in a competition for #2 with The Grand Experiment. I don't think anything beats the first and last songs of TGE, but I&D is more consistent and there's more of it (two features that don't often go hand-in-hand). To me, the weak link, to the extent there is one, is actually Not Afraid Pt. 1. Just feels a bit long for what it is. I love both epics and actually really, really like the lyrics on Not Afraid, Pt. 2. I also think Your Place in the Sun is really cool. I tend to be bearish in my ranking of new albums, so right now I'd still have TGE at #2 and I&D at #3, but that's a close call and could easily change with more time.

I'm a bit anomalous in that I put TSOAD last among the NMB albums, but that definitely doesn't mean I find it bad. These are four phenomenal albums, and this is the one that just doesn't connect with me quite as well. It's mainly the first disc that doesn't wow me. All the songs are good, but the section from We Have Got to Go through The Ways of a Fool just doesn't blow me away. From So Far Gone through the end it's amazing (with the exception of Sloth—again, good song, doesn't wow me), but that slightly down section is enough to drop it behind their other three albums. It's hard not to compare TSOAD and TGA, and the equivalent section on TGA (A Momentary Change through Venture in Black) is just head-and-shoulders better IMO, just a spectacular run of songs.

Your Place in the Sun is also one of my favorites. Good call on that one.

I think the 'I love you" line in the chorus of Not Afraid Part 2 is a bit too shmaltzy, but the rest of the song is mostly great.  The "Run, run, run, run, run, run, run away" parts is one of my favorite sections of the entire record (crank that up that highway and pray you don't get a ticket :lol), and the instrumental section right after that is just sublime.  :hefdaddy :hefdaddy

Interesting that you called out the We Have Got to Go through The Ways of a Fool run in Similitude as one that doesn't blow you away, as if I am in the mood for a small does of the record, stuff from that run is often what I go for.  I always crank Makes No Sense and Draw the Line and have a blast.  I like Sloth a lot, but do not genuflect to it like a lot of the fanbase does.  And the fans thinking pictures or references to sloths stopped being funny like five years ago (and the album came out five years and a month ago).

As for The Great Adventure, I agree about the A Momentary Change through Venture in Black run.  To the River and Venture in Black might be my two favorite songs from that record, although The Great Despair and A Love That Never Dies are not far behind.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #6279 on: December 26, 2021, 07:29:38 AM »
1. The Similitude
2. The Grand Experiment
3. Innocence & Danger
4. The Great Adventure

Yes! This the correct ranking.  :biggrin: :tup :tup

Offline Kram

« Reply #6280 on: December 26, 2021, 10:56:43 AM »

I mostly agree with your assessment of I&D but not as high on TGE as you are.  I have them like this -

1. The Similitude
2. The Great Adventure
3. Innocence & Danger
4. The Grand Experiment

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #6281 on: December 26, 2021, 11:26:02 AM »

I mostly agree with your assessment of I&D but not as high on TGE as you are.  I have them like this -

1. The Similitude
2. The Great Adventure
3. Innocence & Danger
4. The Grand Experiment

I get that Agenda causes some to dock TGE a bit, but while that and the title track are both merely good IMO, The Call, Waterfall and Alive Again are, for me, three of the best Neal(-related) songs ever. 

Note that I always rank and rate albums based off of the proper albums, meaning I do not factor bonus tracks into the equation.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #6282 on: December 27, 2021, 05:01:36 AM »
1. The Great Adventure
2. The Similitude of a Dream
3. The Grand Experiment
4. Innocence & Danger

All pretty close to each other and consistent in quality. I enjoy Agenda. And each album has it's own strenghts that make it stand on it's own in their discography. I rank all of these at or near the top of everything Neal Morse.

Offline Kram

« Reply #6283 on: December 27, 2021, 12:53:51 PM »

1. The Similitude
2. The Great Adventure
3. Innocence & Danger
4. The Grand Experiment
The Call, Waterfall and Alive Again are, for me, three of the best Neal(-related) songs ever.
I agree with you here.  I just think overall, the other three are stronger efforts.  They're all great though!  Splitting hairs at this level of awesomeness.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #6284 on: December 27, 2021, 01:58:22 PM »
TSOAD
TGE
I&D
TGA
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline bluefox4000

« Reply #6285 on: December 28, 2021, 04:27:18 PM »
1. Similitude
2. I & D
3. TGE
4. TGA

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #6286 on: December 29, 2021, 06:51:28 AM »
OK, so I gave Sola Gratia another chance.  And no, I definitely don't like it.  Probably my least favorite NM-related album.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Kram

« Reply #6287 on: December 29, 2021, 09:47:46 AM »
OK, so I gave Sola Gratia another chance.  And no, I definitely don't like it.  Probably my least favorite NM-related album.
I gave it a listen the other day as well, and I think it's pretty good.  Far from his best, and not in the same league as the NMB releases we're discussing, but good nonetheless.  Middle to lower tier of Neal's work - but that's mostly because he has so many incredible releases. 

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #6288 on: December 29, 2021, 11:37:58 AM »
I still have yet to hear The Grand Experiment,  but I love the Similitude,  The Great Adventure,  and Innocence & Danger.   
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #6289 on: December 29, 2021, 08:30:33 PM »
I gave it a listen the other day as well, and I think it's pretty good.  Far from his best, and not in the same league as the NMB releases we're discussing, but good nonetheless.  Middle to lower tier of Neal's work - but that's mostly because he has so many incredible releases.

Yep.  I gave Sola Gratia a recent spin as well, and while it pales in comparison to many of his other records (on his own and with his various bands), it does have a couple of outstanding songs in Overflow and Never Change, and I love the sound of it (very warm and lush).

Offline Kram

« Reply #6290 on: December 30, 2021, 10:23:42 AM »

Yep.  I gave Sola Gratia a recent spin as well, and while it pales in comparison to many of his other records (on his own and with his various bands), it does have a couple of outstanding songs in Overflow and Never Change, and I love the sound of it (very warm and lush).
I bet if some new artist released Sola Gratia, we'd all be like this new guy is incredible lol.  It's just because Neal is so prolific it's held to such a high standard.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #6291 on: December 30, 2021, 11:38:04 AM »

I bet if some new artist released Sola Gratia, we'd all be like this new guy is incredible lol.  It's just because Neal is so prolific it's held to such a high standard.

Very true. 

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #6292 on: December 30, 2021, 11:46:05 AM »
Sola Gratia sounds really nice. I got new speakers (Wharfedale 12.2) and out of all NM works it is the one I chose to spin and it did not dissapoint.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #6293 on: December 30, 2021, 01:16:00 PM »

I didn't like either of those songs lol

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Your sloth is in another castle
« Reply #6294 on: December 30, 2021, 04:58:34 PM »
Overflow is one of his weakest ballads and Never Change just sounds like Jesus' Blood 2.0, and I don't care for Jesus' Blood.

I listened to the album today for the first time in a while and I do think it is his weakest. Even his other notably weak album, Lifeline, has some decent tracks. Leviathan, So Many Roads, and the title track.
Sola Gratia just sounds like Neal on autopilot. Sounds like he just wrote something to pass the time in quarantine and to have something to play at Morsefest last year.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #6295 on: December 31, 2021, 11:53:44 AM »
I listened to the album today for the first time in a while and I do think it is his weakest. Even his other notably weak album, Lifeline, has some decent tracks. Leviathan, So Many Roads, and the title track.
Sola Gratia just sounds like Neal on autopilot. Sounds like he just wrote something to pass the time in quarantine and to have something to play at Morsefest last year.
Now see, for me, Lifeline is miles and miles ahead of Sola Gratia.

I would compare Sola Gratia more to Momentum, which I also didn't like very much.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #6296 on: December 31, 2021, 11:56:27 AM »
Lifeline is easily my least favorite of those, and not really close.  It is at the bottom along with ?.  Sola Gratia and Momentum are middle-of-the-road for me.  I haven't listened to Momentum in awhile, and would have to do so in order to say which I would prefer. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #6297 on: December 31, 2021, 12:17:34 PM »
Time to rank Neal's solo prog albums?
Time to rank Neal's solo prog albums!
One
Testimony 2
?
Sola Scriptura
Testimony
Momentum
Lifeline
Sola Gratia

The bottom half will likely always be the bottom half, and the Top half will always be in my Top, with One being my favorite of his solo prog efforts. The next three could probably swap spots depending on how I feel but that's what I'm feeling right now.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Your sloth is in another castle
« Reply #6298 on: December 31, 2021, 02:37:15 PM »
1. Sola Scriptura
2. ?
3. Testimony 2
4. Momentum
5. Testimony
6. One
7. Lifeline
8. Sola Gratia

I'll leave out Jesus Christ the Exorcist because I've never been able to finish it.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2021, 02:48:20 PM by Metropolaris »

Offline Kram

« Reply #6299 on: December 31, 2021, 02:59:49 PM »
1. Sola Scriptura
2. ?
3. One
4. Testimony 2
5. Testimony
6. Lifeline
7. Sola Gratia
8. Momentum