Author Topic: Official Neal Morse Appreciation Thread  (Read 554255 times)

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
Re: Official Neal Morse Appreciation Thread
« Reply #5740 on: August 28, 2021, 12:37:20 PM »
CD arrived yesterday, on top of it being on Spotify.

Fantastic album! Immediate favourite tracks are Your Place In The Sun and Another Story To Tell.

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Your sloth is in another castle
« Reply #5741 on: August 28, 2021, 12:47:38 PM »
I uploaded the Making Of documentary to Youtube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P6JW1sF_wvk

Aaaaand it's gone  :mehlin
« Last Edit: August 29, 2021, 11:16:51 AM by Metropolaris »

Offline emtee

« Reply #5742 on: August 28, 2021, 01:04:03 PM »
Stunning. Epic. Emotional. Varied. And on a great set of headphones, almost a spiritual experience at times. Holy shit. Best thing since One. Kudos to the band and production team.

Offline Cocopjojo

• Astral Traveler
« Reply #5743 on: August 28, 2021, 01:07:20 PM »
I had the same thought. I'm going to fade it out myself
That's a great idea. I hadn't considered that, but I'm going to do that now too. It definitely sounds broken as-is. I get what Mike was going for, but IMO it doesn't work. No big deal - it doesn't always play out the way it was intended.

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5744 on: August 28, 2021, 01:18:46 PM »

Watching it now, thanks!
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline RoeDent

« Reply #5745 on: August 28, 2021, 01:26:24 PM »
How long's it gonna last before the copyright bots get to it?

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Your sloth is in another castle
« Reply #5746 on: August 28, 2021, 01:37:06 PM »
How long's it gonna last before the copyright bots get to it?

It was copyright claimed immediately after I uploaded it. The video has been monetized by the copyright owner, if they want to take it down they can, but I think it'll be safe. There's plenty of other Making Of videos from Neal out there on YouTube.

Offline Peter Mc

« Reply #5747 on: August 28, 2021, 02:42:19 PM »
Just had a real proper sit down with this from start to finish and, whilst it’s early to say, this is one of the best things I’ve heard from Neal in a long time.  Enjoyed every song from start to finish, many of which actually sound fresh and new for him.  The variation and more commercial sound was reminiscent of Spock’s Beard for me at times.  Neal absolutely sings his ass off here, you can hear the age in his voice but he’s pushing himself to get everything out of it.  Some of the best epic soloing I’ve heard from Eric too, his best album so far.  Bill’s vocal interludes really work for the most part too, some real highlight moments from him.  Everyone’s playing is just top, top level with some really awesome bass from Randy and I don’t even normally notice bass.

Really great album.

Offline Dedalus

« Reply #5748 on: August 28, 2021, 02:58:01 PM »
I have to say I'm getting excited about some comments here.  :metal

I didn't expect much from the new album (even because I didn't like the first two singles), but the comments here managed to pique my curiosity.  :)

I need to hear the new record (and hope I won't be disappointed  :lol).

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5749 on: August 28, 2021, 02:58:53 PM »
Just had a real proper sit down with this from start to finish and, whilst it’s early to say, this is one of the best things I’ve heard from Neal in a long time.  Enjoyed every song from start to finish, many of which actually sound fresh and new for him.  The variation and more commercial sound was reminiscent of Spock’s Beard for me at times.  Neal absolutely sings his ass off here, you can hear the age in his voice but he’s pushing himself to get everything out of it.  Some of the best epic soloing I’ve heard from Eric too, his best album so far.  Bill’s vocal interludes really work for the most part too, some real highlight moments from him.  Everyone’s playing is just top, top level with some really awesome bass from Randy and I don’t even normally notice bass.

Really great album.

Eric’s wife wants to talk to you.

Offline Dedalus

« Reply #5750 on: August 28, 2021, 03:00:49 PM »

Really great album.

Eric’s wife wants to talk to you.

:rollin

Offline Bad Altitude

« Reply #5751 on: August 28, 2021, 03:09:28 PM »
I've only listened a few times so far, but I think the opening trio of songs is really strong. "Do it all again" was an instant favorite, but "Bird on a wire" has a pretty good melody, too. I think this more focused format (as opposed to the more drawn out layout of the previous two albums, where the and tell a story and let it take its time) works very well. And a 30-minute epic is great when it's sat alongside shorter songs that stand on their own.

I'm not sure I'm expressing it well enough, but in essence, I think the formation of this band and the way they write music together, was a very smart move on Neals part. And that's coming from someone who enjoyed his solo output a lot, all the way from Testimony and onwards. 

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #5752 on: August 28, 2021, 05:01:35 PM »
Another very good album. For me it is safe to say that this is my favourite band of Neal Morse. And having recently listened to a lot of his solo stuf, I really do feel there is a distinction.

My first impression is that I prefer the initial collection of songs over the epics. The only thing that does not do anything for me is the Bridge over Troubled water cover, especially that intro.

Offline Cocopjojo

• Astral Traveler
« Reply #5753 on: August 28, 2021, 11:48:59 PM »
Another very good album. For me it is safe to say that this is my favourite band of Neal Morse. And having recently listened to a lot of his solo stuf, I really do feel there is a distinction.

My first impression is that I prefer the initial collection of songs over the epics. The only thing that does not do anything for me is the Bridge over Troubled water cover, especially that intro.

The intro has started to wear on me as well. It seems like something that would be more fun live, but as a studio track it's kind of long and drawn out and the vibe is too different than the song itself. That said, the rest of this cover is absolutely killer, IMO. The guys absolutely do it justice, and completely nail the ending too. I almost consider it cheating for them to have included it because that song is already one of the greatest ballads ever written. I am admittedly biased though as I consider Paul Simon one of the greatest singer/songwriters ever.

Offline Peter Mc

« Reply #5754 on: August 29, 2021, 03:37:25 AM »

Yeah, I will say that my least favourite stuff on the album (and none of it is bad) would be the stuff they added to “pad it out” as Mike said.  I think you could easily take off The Way It Had to Be, Emergence, Bridge Over Troubled Water and just trimmed a few minutes off here and there to get this under 80 min and onto one disc and it would probably be even better imo.  Some will disagree though as I think I have seen others saying The Way It Had To Be is one of their favourites.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #5755 on: August 29, 2021, 05:41:54 AM »
The Way It Had to Be is one of my early favorites.  I am glad that was included.  Although really, all of the original songs on Disc 1 are really good. 

So far, I prefer Not Afraid Part 2 of the two epics, but that could change.  Beyond the Years has a different kind of flow and arrangement than his/their other epics, so it will likely take a few more listens to really wrap my head around it.  Not Afraid Part 2 is pretty sweet, though, and I like the instrumental section near the end where they break it down and slowly build it back up. They rarely do stuff like that, but they did it really well there.

Offline darkshade

« Reply #5756 on: August 29, 2021, 10:24:24 AM »
This album is really growing on me with repeat listens.

The one thing that's holding it back for me, from being a top-top Neal album, is Bill's vocals. It's like he has a cold or something, sounds like he's singing through his sinuses. Really not into his vocals for lead. Also, Portnoy is a less-is-more vocalist, he has some strong moments throughout his career, but the more I hear him sing lead, the more his limits as a singer shines through. Leave the lead vocals to Neal and Eric (like in Transatlantic, leave it to Neal and Roine, though I liked MP's vocals in Looking For The Light on TAU)

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #5757 on: August 29, 2021, 10:38:40 AM »
As far as NMB stduio covers go, what does everyone like more? "Bridge Over Troubled Water" or "MacArthur Park"? I'm kinda partial to MP, but BOTW is slowly growing on me!

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline bluefox4000

« Reply #5758 on: August 29, 2021, 10:49:03 AM »
OK.....forces beyond my control DID NOT what me to hear this record and now......two days later.  finally finished Disc 1, lol

thoughts.

This may be the most cohesive best album NMB has done (judging from Disc 1)  i Still love the 2 singles. have Since day 1.

LOVE Another story to tell!!! HEAVY Spock's Beard Vibes and so damn Catchy.

The way It Had to Be is very floyd like for the tempo and eric's guitar tones. can i just say,......Eric is killing it on this album.  in places um......it's kinda like Eric featuring Neal.....is that weird to say?  it feels weird, lol  before you say it i know it's a band BUT NMB has still largely been Neal to me.

Not Afraid Pt. 1 reminds me of Crosby Stills and nash.  great folk like Ditty.

as for the cover.  i really could do without these prog covers of classics.  they do nothing for me.

that's my only complaint.  this was an amazing first disc.

be back with disc 2 later.

« Last Edit: August 29, 2021, 10:58:19 AM by bluefox4000 »

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #5759 on: August 29, 2021, 10:59:40 AM »
Not Afraid Part 1 is tailor-made to be one of those songs where they all sit at the front of the stage and sing while playing the song.  They ought to do a mini-set of that on the tour where they do that one, Waterfall and Freedom Song.  Three great songs, and would be a nice little comedown from the prog onslaught that is likely to dominate most of the rest of the set.

The one thing that's holding it back for me, from being a top-top Neal album, is Bill's vocals. It's like he has a cold or something, sounds like he's singing through his sinuses. Really not into his vocals for lead. Also, Portnoy is a less-is-more vocalist, he has some strong moments throughout his career, but the more I hear him sing lead, the more his limits as a singer shines through. Leave the lead vocals to Neal and Eric (like in Transatlantic, leave it to Neal and Roine, though I liked MP's vocals in Looking For The Light on TAU)

I think the balance is good with the lead vocals.  Seems like Neal and Eric do about 70-75% of them, with Bill at about 20% and Portnoy the rest.  I wouldn't want Bill singing all the time, but he is very nice as a change of pace guy.  And while Portnoy will never have a voice optimal for regular lead singing, I think the ones he does on this record are fine.  They don't necessarily elevate the songs, but they aren't a detriment like Pete's are on a few songs on the newest TA record, IMO.

Offline bluefox4000

« Reply #5760 on: August 29, 2021, 11:03:13 AM »

funny you say that i was thinking at least on the first disc how minimized Bill's Leads are.  this comes off as Eric/Neal sharing the vocal steering wheel mostly

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #5761 on: August 29, 2021, 11:15:21 AM »

funny you say that i was thinking at least on the first disc how minimized Bill's Leads are.  this comes off as Eric/Neal sharing the vocal steering wheel mostly

Maybe I am just so used to Neal singing that I take it for granted, but listening to this album, it's always a little exciting for me when Eric sings lead.

Offline Peter Mc

« Reply #5762 on: August 29, 2021, 11:50:53 AM »
I was one of the strongest complainers about the vocals on the last Transatlantic record being shared out to Pete and Mike way too much.  I think they get it about right here, Neal and Eric share the majority with Eric doing a lot of the big bombastic stuff as he has more power than Neal these days.  Bill is fine for me if used well, he’s got an unusual voice but he’s a much better singer than Pete Trewavas and Mike, and I think he’s used well here.  For example, his little bridge in Bird On A Wire, is the vocal highlight of that song for me.  Mike is used sparingly enough on lead vocals not to bother me, I’d even go as far to say that I quite like his little verse in Your Place In The Sun.

I’m not a fan of their covers though like some others have said.  This cover of BOTW sounds a bit like a boyband version with all the OTT vocals.  The MacArthur Park one is just not a song I like anyway.

Offline darkshade

« Reply #5763 on: August 29, 2021, 11:57:39 AM »
Not Afraid Part 1 is tailor-made to be one of those songs where they all sit at the front of the stage and sing while playing the song.  They ought to do a mini-set of that on the tour where they do that one, Waterfall and Freedom Song.  Three great songs, and would be a nice little comedown from the prog onslaught that is likely to dominate most of the rest of the set.

I think the balance is good with the lead vocals.  Seems like Neal and Eric do about 70-75% of them, with Bill at about 20% and Portnoy the rest.  I wouldn't want Bill singing all the time, but he is very nice as a change of pace guy.  And while Portnoy will never have a voice optimal for regular lead singing, I think the ones he does on this record are fine.  They don't necessarily elevate the songs, but they aren't a detriment like Pete's are on a few songs on the newest TA record, IMO.

No doubt, Neal and Eric handle most of the vocals, but I just can't get into Bill's lead vocals, and he does have his share of lead.

Offline Kram

« Reply #5764 on: August 29, 2021, 12:18:24 PM »
Just finished my first complete listen and WOW!  Another very strong effort from these guys.  There's a lot to digest here, so way to early to rank this among the others.  Very diverse material which I love.  What strikes me as ironic was after my first listen of the first single (Do it All Again), my first comment and thoughts were "good tune but very NMB by the numbers" - well this album is anything but "NMB by the numbers" - so I'm ecstatic about that....good stuff!
« Last Edit: August 29, 2021, 12:25:16 PM by Kram »

Offline Kram

« Reply #5765 on: August 29, 2021, 12:24:45 PM »
I was one of the strongest complainers about the vocals on the last Transatlantic record being shared out to Pete and Mike way too much.  I think they get it about right here, Neal and Eric share the majority with Eric doing a lot of the big bombastic stuff as he has more power than Neal these days.  Bill is fine for me if used well, he’s got an unusual voice but he’s a much better singer than Pete Trewavas and Mike, and I think he’s used well here.  For example, his little bridge in Bird On A Wire, is the vocal highlight of that song for me.  Mike is used sparingly enough on lead vocals not to bother me, I’d even go as far to say that I quite like his little verse in Your Place In The Sun.

I’m not a fan of their covers though like some others have said.  This cover of BOTW sounds a bit like a boyband version with all the OTT vocals.  The MacArthur Park one is just not a song I like anyway.

I agree with everything you said here.  Eric definitely has the most powerful voice and he sounds great on this one IMO.  Bill is a way better singer than Pete Trewavas and Mike Portnoy, it's not even close - and I too think he's used well here (meaning not overused but used sparingly and to effect).

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #5766 on: August 29, 2021, 12:25:02 PM »

The one thing that's holding it back for me, from being a top-top Neal album, is Bill's vocals. It's like he has a cold or something, sounds like he's singing through his sinuses. Really not into his vocals for lead.
Agreed 100%
Bill sounds fine when singing back-up harmonies, but when he takes lead, I think you summed it up quite well. I don't have the new album yet, but that's been my only hang-up on the previous NMB albums and live releases.  His keyboard playing is great however!
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline Peter Mc

« Reply #5767 on: August 29, 2021, 12:54:40 PM »
I just made a quick playlist of the original album and it’s 81 min long.  Seems strange that they wouldn’t just shave a minute off to make a one disc album rather than scramble around for 20 min of extra material to make it a double.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #5768 on: August 29, 2021, 01:05:50 PM »

The one thing that's holding it back for me, from being a top-top Neal album, is Bill's vocals. It's like he has a cold or something, sounds like he's singing through his sinuses. Really not into his vocals for lead.
Agreed 100%
Bill sounds fine when singing back-up harmonies, but when he takes lead, I think you summed it up quite well. I don't have the new album yet, but that's been my only hang-up on the previous NMB albums and live releases.  His keyboard playing is great however!

Yeah, he sounds like he's always straining to hit the notes. There's a couple songs where it works, The Ways of a Fool for example, but most of the time they don't work for me.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Mladen

« Reply #5769 on: August 29, 2021, 01:16:39 PM »

Aaaaand it's gone  :mehlin
Good thing I managed to watch it today. Thanks for making my Sunday morning, man.  :tup

I was surprised to see that Another story to tell was something Bill brought in. I was confident Neal was channeling his early Spock's Beard days with that one, but I was wrong.

I would love them to do something like this.

Offline Peter Mc

« Reply #5770 on: August 29, 2021, 01:31:32 PM »
I think the piano thing at the start was brought in by Bill and they built a song off it.  I’m with you, it definitely sounds like a Neal tune and he is singing all the lead vocals so am guessing it’s mainly his.  It’s not totally clear from the making of though so I can’t say for sure.

Offline RoeDent

« Reply #5771 on: August 29, 2021, 01:44:29 PM »
I just made a quick playlist of the original album and it’s 81 min long.  Seems strange that they wouldn’t just shave a minute off to make a one disc album rather than scramble around for 20 min of extra material to make it a double.

What do you mean by the original album? The original album is the one that was released on Friday, with all 10 tracks on it.

Also the answer is, it's not strange. It's Neal Morse. More Never Is Enough and all that.

I love the album as long as it is. Don't take a single thing away from it.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #5772 on: August 29, 2021, 02:08:14 PM »

What do you mean by the original album? The original album is the one that was released on Friday, with all 10 tracks on it.

Also the answer is, it's not strange. It's Neal Morse. More Never Is Enough and all that.

I love the album as long as it is. Don't take a single thing away from it.

IIRC the "original" album was 8 tracks but they couldn't really fit it in a single CD, so that's when they wrote TWIHTB and added the cover song.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline emtee

« Reply #5773 on: August 29, 2021, 02:32:45 PM »
I love Bill's voice, especially in the drifting through the years section. These guys hit it out of the park. So fresh sounding. Full of deep feels. I've got a feeling DT and this album will be fighting for album if the year.

Offline DTwwbwMP

« Reply #5774 on: August 29, 2021, 03:52:06 PM »
Still haven't received from Radiant! LAST TIME EVER! :censored >:(