Author Topic: Official Neal Morse Appreciation Thread  (Read 554268 times)

Offline The Letter M

Re: Official Neal Morse Appreciation Thread
« Reply #4725 on: October 06, 2020, 11:11:51 AM »
I believe it was in the Testimony Live DVD from the original 2003 Testimony tour, where Neal was telling the story of Jayda during one of the songs and said that he didn't want to make anyone uncomfortable, but wanted to reach out to them with his feelings and his story. He's always seemed very sincere and open-minded, but still very earnest and rooted in his beliefs and feelings. I believe him to be respectful, however, if maybe a bit misunderstood on some things, but he has always seemed like a genuinely good person from all the videos and concerts and interviews I've seen him in. At times, he might get a bit stern and stubborn, as seen in some Making Of Album documentaries or tour behind-the-scenes videos, but those are few and far between.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #4726 on: October 06, 2020, 11:20:17 AM »
I don't know Hail To The Thief. Radiohead, by the looks of it? I don't remember any Pearl Jam songs that were unusually political.

Either way, religion and politics are different to me, in that politics is talking about the material world we all live and religion is talking about the supernatural.

Bu$hleaguer?    :)

He's not a leader, he's a Texas leaguer
Swinging for the fence, got lucky with a strike
Drilling for fear, makes the job simple
Born on third, thinks he got a triple

In fact most of Riot Act speaks loudly on political issues, with little room for compromise or discussion.  On "Can't Deny Me" (recorded for, but left off, the new album) he even explicitly dispenses with discussion.  A song played live, Ed has at least once introduced it with " this has nothing to do with Donald Trump", and "I wouldn't want to waste my breath."
« Last Edit: October 06, 2020, 11:28:39 AM by Stadler »

Online DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #4727 on: October 06, 2020, 12:49:56 PM »
Ah, yeah. I remember that one. I'm in the UK so it didn't register hard with me. :lol That's political, alright. But I've got no problem with it.

Awesome that you got to meet Neal. I'd love to but I know id fall apart like an idiot.

I'm really enjoying TGE. Really fantastic production, lots of energy. Eric is excellent. Really like his vox and guitar. MP is really fun to listen to on it. Those double bass drum rolls near the end of Alive Again had me grinning ear to ear.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4728 on: October 06, 2020, 02:50:23 PM »
Ah, yeah. I remember that one. I'm in the UK so it didn't register hard with me. :lol That's political, alright. But I've got no problem with it.

Awesome that you got to meet Neal. I'd love to but I know id fall apart like an idiot.

I'm really enjoying TGE. Really fantastic production, lots of energy. Eric is excellent. Really like his vox and guitar. MP is really fun to listen to on it. Those double bass drum rolls near the end of Alive Again had me grinning ear to ear.

I've been binging on on Alive Again lately; I must've listened to it eight or nine times in the last week.  That part that Bill sings...

Offline ShadowWalker

« Reply #4729 on: October 07, 2020, 09:25:29 AM »
I believe it was in the Testimony Live DVD from the original 2003 Testimony tour, where Neal was telling the story of Jayda during one of the songs and said that he didn't want to make anyone uncomfortable, but wanted to reach out to them with his feelings and his story. He's always seemed very sincere and open-minded, but still very earnest and rooted in his beliefs and feelings. I believe him to be respectful, however, if maybe a bit misunderstood on some things, but he has always seemed like a genuinely good person from all the videos and concerts and interviews I've seen him in. At times, he might get a bit stern and stubborn, as seen in some Making Of Album documentaries or tour behind-the-scenes videos, but those are few and far between.

-Marc.

It is always the sincerity he exhibits that has stood out. I have interviewed him a few times and being the fan I am, I have seen him in quite a number of situations (Spock's Beard, Transatlantic, Neal Morse, The Neal Morse Band, Flying Colors, a solo acoustic performance) and he always stands out as being genuine and, as you put it, respectful. It is definitely one of the things that draws me to him as a fan. 

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #4730 on: October 07, 2020, 12:35:42 PM »
So I received Sola Gratia.

After one listen, this is the worst thing I've heard from Neal.

I am seriously hoping this is a grower, because I was really taken aback with how little I liked it.  Or more accurately, how much I dislike it. 
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #4731 on: October 07, 2020, 12:45:32 PM »
Honestly, I find that to be a REALLY strange reaction from a fan.  I mean, not that you aren't entitled to like or dislike whatever.  But it is VERY standard NM fare, so if you like a lot of his other works, I don't see anything to strongly dislike about this. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #4732 on: October 07, 2020, 12:55:05 PM »
That's interesting because I thought this album has a little bit more of an experimental nature with songs like "Seemingly Sincere" that don't really sound like anything he's ever done before.    But it also has plenty of those signature Neal Morse chord progressions and melodies. 

In the cannon of his work I'd probably agree it will end up somewhere in the bottom half of his body of work, but I am also a bit surprised by such a strong negative reaction from a fan.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #4733 on: October 07, 2020, 01:00:56 PM »
Honestly, I find that to be a REALLY strange reaction from a fan.  I mean, not that you aren't entitled to like or dislike whatever.  But it is VERY standard NM fare, so if you like a lot of his other works, I don't see anything to strongly dislike about this.
Yeah, I thought it was strange too.

Maybe it was a little too standard?  I don't know.  I really liked the appearances of themes from Sola Scriptura, but those were the highlights for me musically.  And while I have heard Neal described as cheesy before, I never really thought that about his stuff until this.

I don't know.  *shrugs*

That's interesting because I thought this album has a little bit more of an experimental nature with songs like "Seemingly Sincere" that don't really sound like anything he's ever done before.    But it also has plenty of those signature Neal Morse chord progressions and melodies. 

In the cannon of his work I'd probably agree it will end up somewhere in the bottom half of his body of work, but I am also a bit surprised by such a strong negative reaction from a fan.
Seemingly Sincere was my favorite song from the album.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #4734 on: October 07, 2020, 01:01:43 PM »
Yep, mine too by a pretty big margin too. 

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #4735 on: October 07, 2020, 01:05:57 PM »
FROM RADIANT RECORDS –

Pre-sales for "Jesus Christ The Exorcist (Live At Morsefest 2018)" start at 8AM CDT tomorrow. Make sure to visit www.nealmorse.com where the first 200 orders will receive a framable graphic autographed by Neal! We will also have an exclusive Love Has Called My Name t-shirt available, plus on release day, every pre-order will receive a downloadable copy of the original script from JCTE from Morsefest 2018.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Peter Mc

« Reply #4736 on: October 07, 2020, 03:12:18 PM »

I am seriously hoping this is a grower, because I was really taken aback with how little I liked it.  Or more accurately, how much I dislike it.

I had a similar initial reaction and so did a few others.  It has grown on me quite a bit, it’s never going to be an all time classic for me but still a worthy addition to his catalogue.  Stick with it.

Offline Peter Mc

« Reply #4737 on: October 07, 2020, 03:38:52 PM »

I also think there’s a difference in Pearl Jam and others preaching about real world issues and Christian’s preaching about some magical being that they believe lived thousands of years ago.  I don’t mean that to sound dismissive, just trying to put it in a brief way.  Millions of people share that belief and that’s absolutely fine, I wish I had that strong faith and belief in something.

As I said earlier though, Neal’s passionate belief and faith is what fuels him to make this music that I love and I am grateful for it.

I think your last sentence is really key.  It's either passionate belief or it's not.  FOR ME, who doesn't dismiss other people's faith as belief in "magical beings that they believe lived thousands of years ago", I don't see a difference between Neal professing his belief and Eddie Vedder professing his belief, just because his belief happens to be in some liberal political policies.  Frankly, I see BOTH as fanciful in certain ways (my better example here is something like "Hail To The Thief", which I thought was ridiculous).  I respect Ed Vedder for his passion, but I personally think many of his political views are unsubstantiated and untenable; a position that many take regarding God (as you've written).

I’m not seeking to dismiss anyone’s religion. Different religions and different people have different beliefs and they are perfectly entitled to have that.  If it helps them in their daily life then that’s all the better and I’m happy for them.

In Neal’s particular case though, he often sings about, and talks about, Jesus.  Jesus is literally a man who may or may not have existed around 2,000 years ago and, during his time, is reputed to have performed miracles and come back from the dead.  I am not mocking that belief, millions around the world believe it, I’m just saying it is something you take on faith rather than a real world issue that U2 or Pearl Jam or whoever decide to beat us over the head with. I just think most rock fans are inclined to accept the latter as it is something happening in the world today that they can see, rather than the incredible tales of someone from 2,000 years ago that they don’t really believe.

Neal’s faith is clearly something which brings joy and comfort to him and that joy radiates through his music and lifts my spirits sometimes to the point of tears even though I am not even a believer.  Who am I to doubt that belief especially when his daughter’s life was saved in circumstances that can’t be fully explained.  Long may he continue to bring us his incredible music.

Offline Kram

« Reply #4738 on: October 07, 2020, 04:42:58 PM »

I had a similar initial reaction and so did a few others.  It has grown on me quite a bit, it’s never going to be an all time classic for me but still a worthy addition to his catalogue.  Stick with it.

Yep, hang in there it's definitely a grower.  I was quite underwhelmed at first as well, but now enjoy it quite a bit.  Middle to bottom half of his discography for me, but with Neal, that's still quality work that's enjoyable.

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4739 on: October 08, 2020, 07:36:48 AM »
Acclaimed prog rocker Neal Morse returns with a new live set, Jesus Christ The Exorcist (Live At Morsefest 2018), which will be released on December 4, 2020. Pre-orders are now LIVE at Radiant Records – pre-order now!

As the title suggests, this new live album and DVD/Blu-ray was captured at the annual Morsefest in 2018, where Neal and band performed his then new album, Jesus Christ The Exorcist in its entirety. Watch a performance of 'Love Has Called My Name' from the set below:

“Performing 'Jesus Christ The Exorcist' with this extraordinary cast of singers and musicians was an absolute dream come true for me as a composer and musician. The way it came together was nothing short of miraculous! One of the greatest events of my life." – Neal Morse

This unique live album presents the entire Jesus Christ The Exorcist story set as a progressive rock musical. Here, the biggest change from any typical Neal Morse performance was that he was the musical director and not the main performer. The backing band included some of his usual collaborators like Bill Hubauer and Randy George, of course. Eric Gillette, usually the guitarist, was the drummer for the musical and showed off his incredible skills while Paul Bielatowicz was on lead guitar for the show. The orchestra included a horn section, a choir, backing singers, and a string quartet. The staging and lighting was nothing short of impressive, with the visuals by Christian Rios and sound by Jerry Guidroz (Sons of Apollo, Neal Morse Band, Haken) taking things to the next level.

The lead role of Jesus was taken by Ted Leonard of Enchant and Spock’s Beard. Leonard’s voice is one of the best in rock music and he sounded stellar throughout the night. Joining Leonard was a fantastic collection of singers that included Nick D’Virgilio (Spock's Beard, Big Big Train) along with Jake Livgren (Protokaw), Matt Smith (Theocracy), John Schlitt (Petra), Rick Florian (White Heart), Mark Pogue, and Wil Morse. However, perhaps the one that stole the show was newcomer Talon David, a local Nashville singer who took the role of Mary Magdalene. She has an incredible voice and brought many to tears during the finale duet with Ted Leonard. A highlight moment during the show was in the first act with the song “Madman of the Gadarenes,” where Morse introduced his Gentle Giant influenced vocal medley with multiple vocalists all singing different lines in unison.

Whether or not an audience member knows or appreciates the subject matter might influence their opinion on the show, but it is impossible not to be impressed by the spectacle of this performance. What Neal Morse was able to write and produce with limited time and rehearsals is nothing short of amazing. The music is the definition of epic prog and certainly will delight any Morse fan.

ADIANT RECORDS PRE-ORDER EXCLUSIVES:

- First 200 pre-orders (any format) will include a frameable graphic autographed by Neal Morse!

- All pre-orders (any format) receive a never-before-released downloadable JCTE script!

- Limited Edition "Love Has Called My Name" t-shirt available now through Oct. 22nd – only at Radiant Records!

(NOTE: JCTE script will be made available for download on album release day for those pre-ordered.)

Pre-order Jesus Christ The Exorcist (Live at Morsefest 2018) as a 2CD/DVD set or Blu-ray.

https://www.nealmorse.com/product/jesus-christ-the-exorcist-live-at-morsefest-2018

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #4740 on: October 08, 2020, 09:31:23 AM »
I haven't really listened to JCTE much over the last year or so, and I was reluctant to pre-order the live version, but when I saw it was only $20 with less than $5 shipping from Radiant, I figured "Eh, why not" because I was going to get it eventually anyway, and I'm sure the live version might make it more exciting.

-Marc.

Online DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #4741 on: October 08, 2020, 10:50:54 AM »

I've been binging on on Alive Again lately; I must've listened to it eight or nine times in the last week.  That part that Bill sings...

It's an absolutely cracking track. Gives me the shivers!

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #4742 on: October 08, 2020, 12:27:02 PM »

Yep, hang in there it's definitely a grower.  I was quite underwhelmed at first as well, but now enjoy it quite a bit.  Middle to bottom half of his discography for me, but with Neal, that's still quality work that's enjoyable.
I'll give it more time, for sure.

Offline 425

« Reply #4743 on: October 08, 2020, 07:41:35 PM »
I haven't really listened to JCTE much over the last year or so, and I was reluctant to pre-order the live version, but when I saw it was only $20 with less than $5 shipping from Radiant, I figured "Eh, why not" because I was going to get it eventually anyway, and I'm sure the live version might make it more exciting.

-Marc.

I actually never got around to getting the studio release, so a live CD/DVD for the same amount I was going to spend on the studio album is an easy purchase for me.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline bluefox4000

« Reply #4744 on: October 09, 2020, 10:24:09 AM »
To be honest with you i don't even know if i'll buy the live JCTE.  it's not a very exciting album to me.  it just seems like an attempt to remake the much supieror Jesus Christ Superstar.  and why play JCTE when i have that?

i love certain songs.....mostly from disc 1.  but it's a rather floundering piece for something that was kicked around so long.

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #4745 on: October 09, 2020, 12:29:25 PM »
Just listened to JCTE and ? today. I still like JCTE a lot and I'm curious about the live version.

And ? is still the best solo record Neal put out.  :metal :metal :metal
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline darkshade

« Reply #4746 on: October 10, 2020, 09:31:23 AM »
I'm giving Snow another try, I never got into it. Maybe listened to it once or twice, and it's been years since. I'm a few songs in and I'm digging it. Not sure it's going to move up the ranks of favorite Morse albums a whole lot, but I like it more than Day For Night (my least favorite SB/NM album)

Offline bluefox4000

« Reply #4747 on: October 10, 2020, 09:38:55 AM »
I'm giving Snow another try, I never got into it. Maybe listened to it once or twice, and it's been years since. I'm a few songs in and I'm digging it. Not sure it's going to move up the ranks of favorite Morse albums a whole lot, but I like it more than Day For Night (my least favorite SB/NM album)

i like disc 1 of Snow.  Disc 2 loses me.  a problem with a bunch of double albums with me.  and no.....Snow live didn't help the album for me, lol

Offline darkshade

« Reply #4748 on: October 10, 2020, 09:50:25 AM »

i like disc 1 of Snow.  Disc 2 loses me.  a problem with a bunch of double albums with me.  and no.....Snow live didn't help the album for me, lol

I recall that 2nd disc being one of my main issues with the album. I'm still on the first disc, and I think it's great. I think I was also overloaded with Neal's music when I first got Snow as I had been getting into all his music up til that point (early 2010s) and I might have been burnt out when I got to Snow, which was after checking out most of his other albums.

My approach with most double albums, is to rest the ears for at least a little bit before listening to the 2nd disc/half, especially double albums in the digital era. Double albums from the 70s/80s are usually more-or-less the length of one CD, so those are more manageable.

Offline HOF

« Reply #4749 on: October 10, 2020, 09:54:09 AM »

I like both discs of Snow, with the first part of disc 2 (through Looking for Answers) having some of my favorite SB songs. But I did used to find the second half of the second disc to be a little weak. That said, they really knocked that whole section out of the park on the Snow live performance IMO.

Part of me wonders if they had made Freak Boy through Ladies and Gentlemen, Mr. Ryo Okumodo on Keyboards all one track if people would think of that as one amazing epic and have a more favorable view of it.

Offline darkshade

« Reply #4750 on: October 10, 2020, 10:48:49 AM »
I don't know, I'm up to Snow's Night Out on disc 2, and I've been enjoying the 2nd disc as much as the first. I've been in a Neal Morse mood lately so that might help? Could help explain why sometimes you don't like an album of his you never heard before if you're not totally into his sound at that moment.

Offline bluefox4000

« Reply #4751 on: October 10, 2020, 11:14:21 AM »
Damn now i need to pull out snow.  the poor thing sits there as my most ignored beard album, lol

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #4752 on: October 10, 2020, 11:30:25 AM »
Out of all of Neal's works, Snow still remains a top 5 album for me, right up there with the likes of Bridge Across Forever and V (not sure what else I'd put up there, though).

I get a lot of the criticisms of Disc 2, and I can understand why some folks might disregard some of those tracks as filler or uninteresting, but it really helps expand the story of Snow himself, and there are quite a bit os twists and turns, at least for the first half of Disc 2, that I Find very enjoyable. Sure, it gets a little weird near the end before the final couple of songs, but that's just Neal and Spock's being themselves.

The live version really rocks my socks off, though, with the inclusion of Ted and Jimmy, they really brought new dimensions to the album and band dynamic, especially when they took vocal lead spots. The whole production was just fantastic and I often find myself wanting to re-watch that concert every now and then. If they could never tour on Snow as any formation of SB, this one-off concert was definitely the next best thing, and I'm really glad Neal and company were able to do it!

-Marc.

Offline darkshade

« Reply #4753 on: October 10, 2020, 01:05:51 PM »
Damn now i need to pull out snow.  the poor thing sits there as my most ignored beard album, lol

I definitely like it more than I did before today. It's got a lot of what I like about Neal's music in a constantly flowing album of ideas. Some of the riffs were cool, but a lot of it still hasn't stuck with me, whereas most of Neal's other music leaves me with at least one or two melodies repeating in my head for the next 48 hours. Snow is a lot of music so I'll revisit it as with other NM albums.

Offline darkshade

« Reply #4754 on: October 10, 2020, 01:11:02 PM »
Out of all of Neal's works, Snow still remains a top 5 album for me, right up there with the likes of Bridge Across Forever and V (not sure what else I'd put up there, though).

Surely The Whirlwind? I find that one is one of the best albums by all participants involved. One of the most well produced prog rock albums of all time as well.
The man has released nearly 30 albums of consistent quality prog rock across all his main bands, it is tough to pick a top 5.

Offline Peter Mc

« Reply #4755 on: October 10, 2020, 05:16:46 PM »
I actually prefer disc 2 of Snow, there’s a 3 or 4 songs on the first disc I’m not that keen on whereas I like pretty much everything on disc 2. Plus Made Alive Again/Wind At My Back (Reprise) is one of my all time favourite songs by any artist.  It’s just incredible how that song is basically the same vocal melody repeating over and over but somehow it just builds and builds into this joyful emotionally uplifting climax to the album.  It chokes me up every time and not with sadness but with joy.

Online DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #4756 on: October 11, 2020, 03:25:32 AM »
Totally this.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #4757 on: October 11, 2020, 12:41:27 PM »
I need to get me some more Neal. I struggle with his very strongly worded Christian records but love the Whirlwind and Transatlantic generally. Would The Grand Experiment fit for me, do you think?

Admittedly, the lyrics don't bother me, but I've taken to interpreting them more generally: "Supernatural" to me is about love, not god.   But if it does make a difference to you - and I understand that - on The Grand Experiment, knowing Neal you know full well what he's talking about on "The Call" and "Agenda", but it's not beating you in the face.  On Momentum, the only song I can think of that is hard to get by if you don't like "strongly worded Christian records" is "Freak", and even that is really allegory, not praise.  "Weathering Sky", my favorite song on that record is, for me, about encountering hardship and adversity; there's nothing inherently "Christian" about that.

I tend to take that approach as well. As long as it's not overt, I'm OK with it.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #4758 on: October 11, 2020, 12:45:55 PM »
I've got no problem with christian lyrics and I've got no problem with religious lyrics in general. What I don't like are preachy lyrics, lyrics that tell me what I should believe, lyrics that tell me what is right and what is wrong. And on Neal's prog records you don't get that imo.

Exactly. I listen to a lot of what Neal Morse does and I never feel like I am being preached at. Maybe some of his Worship CDs have that aspect (but I have none of those in my collection). His music stuff feels more like he is celebrating his faith, not telling me what I should be believing. I like listening because the music and the message is very uplifting and positive, a welcome sound in these hard times, even though I can't say I subscribe to his belief system.

That's exactly how I look at it. That's one of the aspects that drew me to Spock's Beard in the first place.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4759 on: October 13, 2020, 07:36:17 AM »
Anyone know of any interview/discussion with Neal about Alive Again?  Looking to get some insight into where he was going with the lyrics.  Some of it is straightforward, but there are entire sections I can't seem to fit into the bigger picture.