Author Topic: Re: Deadeye Deep Dives: Iron Maiden (Volume 11. Virtual XI)  (Read 2525 times)

Offline Deadeye21

• 30 years say we’re in this together
Re: Deadeye Deep Dives: Iron Maiden (Volume 11. Virtual XI)
« on: February 07, 2024, 09:01:18 PM »
"What ho said the ting" - Nicko McBrain

Well, it's been a while between drinks, but I felt like doing another of these deep dives. I figured since I met and watched a live show from Paul Di'Anno back in January and am set to see the first performance of The Future Past tour's international leg in September, Iron Maiden might be the go.

With this new series, there is no time frame I'm trying to adhere to. I'm a busy man with gigs, work and travel booked in the next few months. That said, I'll be aiming to be a minimum of every two weeks and if I'm feeling particularly motivated I might even get to posting once a week or more during that time.

This won't be quite as history laden as the Metallica deep dive was. I'll certainly be trying to cover as many of the major events as possible, but these deep dives are about the music. I'll also be mainly keeping to the seventeen main studio albums, but I see it rather likely I'll be diving into the occasional live album. Real Maiden fans wouldn't be too happy with me if I didn't give my rather controversial opinion on Live After Death here, would they?

So yeah, that said, join me for a bit of an extended run through the highs of the 80s, the lows of the 90s and the varying peaks and valleys of the last 24 years of Iron Maiden!
« Last Edit: May 13, 2024, 10:39:29 PM by Deadeye21 »
Let's go with a P for Deadeye has premature alphabetejaculation.

Offline Deadeye21

Re: Deadeye Deep Dives: Iron Maiden (Volume 1. Iron Maiden)
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2024, 01:44:54 AM »
Iron Maiden – 1980
Original Tracklisting: 1. Prowler. 2. Remember Tomorrow. 3. Running Free. 4. Phantom of the Opera. 5. Transylvania. 6. Strange World. 7. Charlotte the Harlot. 8. Iron Maiden.
Also featuring: Sanctuary

Album: https://open.spotify.com/album/3DNeMApEMCo4IDXNMYnlFi?si=TIwvq7hhQTWEqDbBu9rvNA
Sanctuary: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HFs-nUNGFGg

The first thing anyone needs to know about the story of Iron Maiden is that this is the story of Stephen Percy Harris and the friends he’s made along the way.
Steve was originally in a band named Smiler. While he was in that band, he started to write his own music. The band couldn’t really handle the more progressive nature of Steve’s songs, so he quit.

Apocryphally, Steve then founded what would become Iron Maiden on December 25th 1975. The band underwent numerous lineup changes, each one lasting for only a short time. The band as they appear on the debut album didn’t actually come to be until late 1979, with the final member to join being drummer Clive Burr. During this period, Iron Maiden had recorded a demo called The Soundhouse Tapes, which they ended up selling 5000 copies of. One of the singers who joined the band for a short time had a penchant for the dramatic arts and it was around this time that a papier-mâché mask came to be part of their backdrop for live shows. A larger version made of fibreglass soon appeared, with the ability to light it’s eyes and breathe a red smoke from its mouth. The band came to know this as “the head”, or in their thick English accents, “the ‘ead”. This began the origin of the band’s mascot, Eddie.

Once the lineup was completed with Paul Di’Anno, Dennis Stratton, Dave Murray and Clive Burr on vocals, guitars and drums respectively, the band found themselves at Kingsway Studios in London in January of 1980, armed with 9 songs ready to record. The final product would feature 8 tracks and be known simply under the band's name, Iron Maiden.

Since Maiden's artwork is almost as important to the band as the music is, lets take a moment to discuss the front cover, which depicts Eddie as a long haired punk standing against a brick wall with streetlights in the background and a building with coloured windows, which I believe we may see again with Killers, but we'll talk about that another time.

This timeline obviously skips over a lot, but if you’re interested in learning more about it, go and check out the History of Iron Maiden documentary, which the band has released for free on YouTube. (https://youtu.be/qDc5Px5f0OE?si=MnRKyRPTZ-y1gHNa)

The album opens with Prowler, and you’re immediately hit by very jagged sounding rhythm guitars, followed by the scream of the lead. Paul, Steve and Clive all come in together and you’re taken by the sound of early Iron Maiden rather quickly. The lyrics are rather lewd, speaking of, well, a prowler. “You see me crawling through the bushes with it open wide. What you seeing girl? / Got me feeling myself and reeling around”. Not exactly the greatest image to open a band’s discography with. However, it’s not the lyrics that have me coming back for more. This song really encapsulates a strong melodic drive through the strength of Paul’s vocals and the twin guitar attack. Less than a minute into the song, you’re already hearing the first guitar harmonies. By the two minute mark, you’re already hearing a band pulling off tight rhythmic phrases as a unit. This song sets a high benchmark for what’s to come.

In the second track, we’re met with a melodic ballad. Remember Tomorrow highlights the vocal talents of Paul Di’Anno, interspersed with some fantastic guitar riffs. I have no doubt that the structure of Remember Tomorrow served as inspiration for Metallica’s Fade to Black with the verse/instrumental chorus/verse structure, and Metallica would go on to cover this song in 2008 (which was re-released on the Hardwired bonus disc). This song is truly a special one in the Iron Maiden discography as it’s such an early standout song. The trade-off solos, intercut by the tight riff is such a cool section that still holds up today. Paul’s restrained vocals followed by the screaming he lets out at the end of the song are one of his signature songs. The lyrics here are less direct, but seem to be almost indicating towards another plain of existence, even conjuring the images of the Illuminati symbol of the All-Seeing Eye. Quite different from anything else on this album, for sure.

Up next, one of the few songs that still gets included in the band’s setlist every now and again. Running Free. This is such a straightforward song, with lyrics depicting more or less your average punk/rebel type. This song was the band’s very first single in February of 1980, which peaked at no. 34. There are a few interesting instrumental sections, but the song follows one main riff the whole way through and lets the vocals do a lot of the work. The drums also remain fairly locked into one groove for most of the song. This song was once featured on BBC’s Top of the Pops, but Iron Maiden insisted they’d only do the show if they could actually play it live and became one of the only bands to do so.

Phantom of the Opera follows. This is the longest song and, by far, the most progressive on the album (possibly the whole Di’Anno era, if memory serves). While the title likely conjures the image of the Andrew Lloyd Webber musical, this song is much more directly based on the 1910 novel by Gaston Leroux. In fact, this predates the show by 6 years. This is a huge song in the band’s discography to this day, and for good reason. The tight rhythm of the main verses that give way to a much slower solo and then a massive wall of instrumental is fantastic. Everyone gets a moment to shine here, and it’s a powerful first look into what the band would become in subsequent releases. The two main harmony guitar lines will forever serve as a reason why the twin guitar attack was such an amazing asset to the Maiden sound. There is an interesting coda on the end of this where the last line of vocal repeats with an effect on it after a moment of silence. I really don’t know why this is here, but it is, so I mentioned it.

Ok, onto the first of only 4 instrumentals the band has ever written, Transylvania. This is just a great rocking collection of riffs that breaks down into two halves. The first sees the band following one riff as a unit, with Clive’s ride patterns even following the same rhythms. This breaks off into a pretty cool lead break before returning to the intro of the song. This then breaks into a second half defined by a harmonised riff and solos from Dennis and Dave. As a whole, Transylvania isn’t exactly anything to write home about, but it is certainly a fun listen while it lasts. The coda serves more as a bridge between this instrumental jam and the ballad that follows.

As the wall of feedback that ends Transylvania gives way, we hear a clean guitar begin to come into play. This song is very much defined by some great solos and a great vocal take from Paul Di’Anno. The lyrics depict the Strange World which the song is titled after. This gives me similar vibes to Planet Caravan from Black Sabbath’s Paranoid, though much more fleshed out. This song isn’t often talked about, but it’s worth a listen. There are plenty of interesting guitar effects to talk about too if you listen close.

Now, if you’re a big enough Maiden fan, you probably know about a character that appears across 4 Iron Maiden songs named Charlotte the Harlot. This next song is her first appearance, written solely by Dave Murray. This is definitely not one of my favourites, but it’s definitely worth talking about. The first half is really punky and aggressive, but has a great melodic middle section. This is another one of those songs that I feel they’ve tried to improve upon in the 40+ years since it’s release. Interestingly, this is one song that I feel only really works with Paul Di’Anno’s vocal, sitting alongside Strange World from this album. We’ll talk more about this idea after the Killers dive.

Since Iron Maiden is such a strong closing track that it still remains as the main set closer to this day, I figure now is a good time to talk about a song that didn’t make the album but still maintains a ‘classic’ status in the band, Sanctuary. This song was released as the second single from the album, however, it didn’t make the original UK pressing for various reasons. One of which being it’s controversial artwork, depicting a full bodied Eddie killing Maragret Thatcher, the Iron Lady.
Anyway, onto the song. This song has a fairly different structure to much of the album, with a rather prominent bridge section that almost forms a second chorus. The lyrics here are almost a relative to those of Running Free, once again telling of a character on the run asking for sanctuary from the law. The solo section here is still classic and culminates in one of my favourite instrumental sections from the album’s sessions. This song was included on the US version of the album and the 1998 remastered version of the album. As it is, this song would be my second favourite on the album if it had been featured as part of the original 1980 release.

Onto the song that has never left the band’s setlist and bears both the band and album’s namesake. Iron Maiden. This is such a punky tune and arguably doesn’t really hold up to being the band’s title song when it’s so different from the majority of their catalogue. The song’s lyrics are about the medieval torture device, though the chorus promises that Iron Maiden is gonna get you, no matter how far. There is some odd production on the snare drums at times, but the main riff is hooky and the harmony in the interlude is strong. I probably like this song the best on the album version at the higher speed, but at the same time, I really like the interlude at the slower tempo found in the live version.

So that’s the band’s debut album and it’s not too shabby. I wouldn’t say this is as great of a first attempt as something like Kill ‘Em All, but it definitely starts the band’s evolution well. If it had been better produced, this album would probably be more often revisited by me, but as it is, I will tend to listen to the live versions more often. I give this a 7.5 out of 10.

I’m not gonna do my one word synopsis of each album as I did with Metallica, simply because there’s way too many to do. But I will give my ranking as the albums progress. Being the debut, this is currently at my top!
But what do you think. Does this stack up higher for you? Are you a Charlotte the Harlot fan? Tell me what you think and I’ll catch you some time in the next fortnight for Killers.

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Re: Deadeye Deep Dives: Iron Maiden (Volume 1. Iron Maiden)
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2024, 02:14:42 AM »
Oh I am so following this. Great writeup!
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2024, 05:08:42 AM »
Also following along and very much looking forward to doing so.

Did you know the iron maiden is actually fictitious?
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline Deadeye21

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2024, 05:10:55 AM »
Did you know the iron maiden is actually fictitious?

I certainly didn’t!
#themoreyouknow!

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2024, 05:45:14 AM »
I didn't, either, until about two weeks ago. I was all, "wait, what?!" :biggrin:
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2024, 09:39:48 AM »
Love this thread already!

The debut is full of classic songs, though I don't necessarily like them all.  It's taken me a very long time to warm up to Remember Tomorrow - I'm usually listening to the faster songs on this disc.  I love Prowler to no end, with awesome riffs up and down the song. 

Since I'm not a musician, does anyone know if Phantom of the Opera borrows from Toccata in Fugue?  When TSO put out their version of Toccata, the main riff is very reminiscent of the main riff in Phantom.  It made me wonder if Maiden adapted some of that classical song.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2024, 09:47:15 AM »
Deadeye, I'd love to get involved in this thread, but are you going to be able to see this thing through?
Serious question.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Deadeye21

« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2024, 03:10:57 PM »
Yea TAC, that’s why I’m giving myself the looser timeframes instead of being too strict with it, and choosing to stay with the major releases only. .

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2024, 06:01:58 PM »
Happy to follow too if it's going to be regular updates.

I never ever grabbed this album to listen to.  I knew most the songs beforehand from live versions as it was one of the last IM albums I picked up when discovering them.  If I were going for a Dianno album, it's always Killers.  The legacy and history of these songs is undeniable though.  I'll have to give it a fresh listen.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Deadeye21

« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2024, 08:17:15 PM »
I can confirm that the Killers writeup is actually already done. So yeah, should be pretty regular. Thankfully the early albums are all reasonable lengths. I think it's once we get past Seventh Son it might slow down.

Offline Deadeye21

Re: Deadeye Deep Dives: Iron Maiden (Volume 2. Killers)
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2024, 08:52:34 PM »
In a sign of good faith, let's restart the minimum two week counter with Killers.

Killers – 1981
Original Tracklisting: 1. The Ides of March. 2. Wrathchild. 3. Murders in the Rue Morgue. 4. Another Life. 5. Innocent Exile. 6. Genghis Khan. 7. Killers. 8. Prodigal Son. 9. Purgatory. 10. Drifter
Also featuring: Twilight Zone
Album:  https://open.spotify.com/album/5REF2imQI3lMAmeWcDXE3D?si=xv9CM9b1S4mQ0DpAPD3Lbg
Twilight Zone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ViZbO0fl0q0

Iron Maiden went on tour with Kiss in 1980, following the release of the debut album. After this tour, guitarist Dennis Stratton would be dismissed for creative and personal differences. Following his dismissal, Adrian Smith was brought into the band and the new lineup found themselves in the studio. Having been thoroughly unimpressed with the production of their eponymous debut, they found themselves working with Martin Birch, well known for his work with Fleetwood Mac, Deep Purple and the recent Dio era of Black Sabbath.

The artwork for the new album, titled Killers, once again depicted Eddie standing under a streetlight on a busy London street. This time, he’s more full-bodied, and in his hand you can see a bloodied axe, with two hands pulling at his shirt. In the background, you can see a building named the Ruskin Arms, which is a tribute to one of the venues where Maiden got their start.

Onto the music! We open with Iron Maiden’s shortest song, The Ides of March. This is an instrumental track that the band recorded to be an intro tape. From the opening bars, you can feel the upgrade in the band’s overall tone, and by the time the first harmony section kicks in, you can absolutely feel the new level of cohesion in the band. Clive Burr’s drumming is absolutely pounding with huge tom rolls and marching snare patterns, with Dave and Adrian both taking a turn at soloing. This is only a minute and 45 seconds long, but it sets the tone for the album to come.

Wrathchild follows immediately, as if intended as a single song in two parts (I'm sure we're all used to that her at DTF *coughing in ItPoE*). Paul comes in strong with his signature growl. Wrathchild is another really short song, actually equal second with a Blaze Bayley track called Futureal, but it really has just about everything you’d want out of an early Maiden song. The lyrics here depict an angry young man searching for his father, who is allegedly “nowhere to be found”. This song has become a bit of a meme for Iron Maiden, as it is often used as the go-to for replacing a song in the band’s setlist (it's also the only song from Killers that's seen the light of day since 2005). However, I must admit, I’m a big fan of this one. I think it’s got a strong groove and I do enjoy getting to see the band go back to their roots.

Next up is Murders in the Rue Morgue. This clean intro is my absolute favourite intro of the entire Paul era. It just sets such a mood before the utter chaos of the rest of the song. The lyrics here are based upon the short story of the same name by Edgar Allen Poe, telling the story of an Englishman in France who hears two girls being murdered and ultimately being falsely accused of being the killer. Instrumentally, this song is very punky, and Paul spits out the lyrics with aggression. The harmony guitars that serve as the song’s main instrumental interlude are huge, and Clive provides a lot of great fills, just take a look at the drum roll between the intro and the main body of the song. Everything about this song is just great, and it may be my favourite Paul song overall.

We get into a song that I’m not as huge on called Another Life. This suffers from a pet peeve of mine that I didn’t really talk about in the debut chapter, but these lyrics can seem a little uninspired when we only really get 8 lines of vocal repeated 3 times. This is a trend found in Prowler and Iron Maiden and repeated again here. The story here is fairly basic, with a guy hearing voices and realising he’s tired of living and resolving to off himself. Or at least in my interpretation. The guitar work is decent, and we get something close to a bass solo in the song’s middle instrumental break. Live, this song tended to feature a drum solo after that mid-point and then come back for the third verse. That’s omitted here and I don’t really miss it, though it would’ve been nice to have at least an extra drum fill here. All in all, not one of my favourites from the album.

The sheer force of the band’s instrumental section comes to light again for Genghis Khan. This is an interesting groover of a riff, almost like an evolution from Transylvania the album before. This then changes into a rhythmically complex riff with evolving harmonies and key changes, before evolving into a riff that I’ve always loved. You may know this better as the main riff of Last Resort by Papa Roach. Yep, this is where they lifted it from folks! This is tailed by harmony guitars with a delay that just sounds really cool! It’s a short track, but a tour de force instrumentally.

Entering the second side of the vinyl, we have a bass hook from Steve that kicks off Innocent Exile. This is a big jam of a song and I’m here for it. Once again following a template from Another Life (albeit with a better riff), the first half of this song is dominated by the same few vocal lines followed by a guitar harmony. But what Innocent Exile does much better is it evolves past there. We get a bridge section that goes into a little bit of a halftime feel and then opens back out into the opening bass hook. But it’s from this point on that the song takes on a different form. We get a new riff that absolutely rocks under the twin solos, underneath which is a descending bass line. As this section comes to an end, the guitars follow this descending line and then expand upon the earlier harmonies by dropping back to just the rhythm of that section to close out the song. It’s tricky to encapsulate why I like this song so much, but I think it slaps.

Not as much as the title track though. Killers opens with one of Maiden’s best bass intros, cut into by the guitars and Paul’s iconic screams. This intro turns into a simple, but effective, gallop of a main riff. Enter Killers! This song is self-explanatory lyrically, being about a psychotic killer’s internal monologue as he kills people. There’s just so much to love with this song and I love it! The solos rock, the bass rocks, the drums rock and this is Paul’s second best vocal track with the band for my money. Second longest track on the album, one of only two to surpass the 5 minute mark, and the one most deserving of being the title track. Dammit Maiden, bring this song back already!

The longest song on Killers is also one of the most unique. Prodigal Son, a semi-acoustic ballad, is an absolutely beautiful track. Lyrically, this song is about a man who dabbled in black magic and ended up being cursed. I find it difficult to talk about this song too much, but it’s beyond worth the listen. Adrian has the main guitar solo feature here and it’s a powerful and moving piece of guitar work. The song is maybe a little too jammy at points, being that the entire intro is repeated after the solo section, but man, it’s a really good song. Critically overlooked.

Next is another song I feel has been overlooked for far too long, Purgatory. This is just a fast-paced track with great work from every member of the band. Almost the entire song depends on having two guitars, being as packed full of harmonies and solos as this is. Paul’s vocals are no slouch either, with lyrics being about the concept of purgatory, the place between hell and heaven. This song just straight up rocks and was the second single from the album. Interestingly, the artwork for this single which depicts a half devil/half Eddie head was not the original design from Derek Riggs. In fact, the original artwork that was intended for this single was indeed the artwork that ended up being used on The Number of the Beast, as they felt it was much too good to be lost on a single.

Once again, we’re here to talk about a song that was left off of the original album, but was released as a single. Originally tended as Wrathchild’s B-Side but deemed worthy of being a double A Side, we have Twilight Zone. This has such a great rocking feel to it, quite similar to Purgatory. It’s bouncy and just fun. Lyrically this song depicts a ghost mourning for his living lover. The cover of this single features our friend Charlotte holding a tarot card of death next to a picture of Eddie, with his ghost reaching out in the mirror. This could also be taken as the band’s first love song. Great track, would’ve preferred it to be on the album and have Another Life as Wrathchild’s B-Side, but you get that and much worse on Beast (we’ll cover it when we get there).

Closing the album is Drifter, and this is not the song’s first official release. An early live version of this track appeared on the Sanctuary single. Drifter is about a guy who wants to be a rockstar falling in love. The instrumental to this song really gives me a hopeful feeling. There’s an odd scratching and popping sound right after the big solo section that I’ve noticed. Sounds like Steve switching the pickup on his bass. All in all, Drifter’s not one of my favourites, but I do enjoy listening to this when I do.

And that’s Killers. Definitely a stronger album than Iron Maiden in my opinion, and a huge step up in quality in less than a year. Killers released in February of 1981 and spent eight weeks on the UK albums chart. The remainder of 1981 saw the band touring with Judas Priest, but another major change was looming.

What do you think of Killers? Let me know and I’ll be keen for a chat between here and The Number of the Beast.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2024, 02:51:35 AM »
I'll echo the statement on Adrian's Prodigal Son solo, so good.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Grappler

« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2024, 08:17:35 AM »
I've always preferred the debut to Killers.  I usually only care to listen to Wrathchild, Murders in the Rue Morgue and Killers, where I really enjoy every song on the debut. 

Giving Killers a full listen though - I haven't heard some of this album's songs in decades. 

Seeing Bruce sing Killers on the Ed Hunter tour was amazing though! 

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2024, 08:21:31 AM »
Killers is the album I'd take to a desert island if I were only allowed one Maiden record. It pretty much was my first proper metal album after the debut and it's so much better. It sounds terrific still. So much energy. The vocals are savage. I love it so much. I wouldn't change a note.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Offline Deadeye21

Re: Deadeye Deep Dives: Iron Maiden (Volume 3. The Number of the Beast)
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2024, 02:14:59 AM »
The Number of the Beast – 1982
Original Tracklisting: 1. Invaders. 2. Children of the Damned. 3. The Prisoner. 4. 22 Acacia Avenue. 5. The Number of the Beast. 6. Run to the Hills. 7. Gangland. 8. Hallowed Be Thy Name.
Also featuring: Total Eclipse

Beast: https://open.spotify.com/album/5S3gls8Kjn8KVmqlIDEBbO?si=--OuaqwDR-SjYbSDD2-hBA
Total Eclipse: https://open.spotify.com/album/2ezMH9oXTMB7Murdiob84h?si=jy1Gxf8cRmKaSFovgf3DLQ

The Killer World Tour took Iron Maiden to new heights. This trek saw the band play their first shows in the United States, Canada and Japan. A live EP was even recorded at their show in Nagoya, called Maiden Japan (what a creative title, derived from Deep Purple's Made In Japan). The original cover for this EP featured Eddie holding the severed head of Paul Di’Anno, as the band opted to fire him at the end of this tour. Paul had become a bit of a loose cannon, to say the least, adopting a “rock and roll lifestyle” which Di’Anno claimed he did because he couldn’t find his way to the end of the band’s extensive touring schedule and thought it was what you were supposed to do as a singer.

With Paul’s departure, it was of the utmost importance that Maiden hire a new singer. This is when they reached out to a man named Paul Bruce Dickinson, originally the singer of Samson. The bands had crossed paths a few times over the years and Bruce had the reputation of being the “human air raid siren”. While his former bandmates had given him the nickname of “Bruce Bruce”, manager Rod Smallwood insisted it wouldn’t fly. The decision was also made that it would be more practical to not go straight from Paul to Paul, so Dickinson was known by his middle name of Bruce (hey, this reminds me of the story of Kevin LaBrie…)

The album that came as a result of Bruce’s joining is often regarded as one of the greatest metal albums of all time, but this is my review, and to be honest, I definitely don’t share that sentiment. Let’s dive into why.

Invaders is the opening track here. This one packs a strong intro and a killer hook of a main riff. The verses waste no time in putting the new singer’s voice on full display. It’s just that the song is a little bit weak. The main chorus line strikes me as being a little bit goofy, which is not what I would want from lyrics like these. The solo section has a great turnaround, and I particularly love the rhythm guitar riff during the second half. The song as a whole is somewhat of an evolution to a Di’Anno era B-Side called Invasion, but we will hopefully cover that in a separate dive for Best of the B-Sides after Brave New World. Invaders is a really odd song to talk about because so much of it is great, but it still feels like it all falls apart when that chorus hits. Definitely a good choice for the opening song, but one that isn’t without issue.

Children of the Damned follows, this one following into more of a ballad territory. This one is a classic Maiden tune and for good reason. The lyrics somewhat loosely follow the plot of the film by the same name, but it’s not at all the reason any of us love this one. We’re here because the instrumental to this song is amazing. Spiritually, this is a successor to Remember Tomorrow, taking the best aspects from it and dialing them to 11. It’s also an absolute tour de force by Bruce, take that closing scream for example. This one is harder to really talk about, but so worth the listen.

Following, we get the second most iconic spoken word intro the band has ever created, this one being taken directly from a TV Show called (you guessed it) The Prisoner. The song properly starts with one of the grooviest drum lines ever in an Iron Maiden song, which has been the subject of much debate as to whether it was Clive Burr or Bruce Dickinson that came up with the rhythm. The lyrics to this song are sung from the point of view of “Number Six” trying to escape “The Village” from the show. The harmony in the chorus leads for epic live singalongs and Adrian Smith’s lead guitar work here is fantastic. I’m not a huge fan of Clive’s drumming in the instrumental break though, as I find the use of the toms an interesting but off choice.

The fourth song from the third album is also the second appearance of Dave Murray’s Charlotte the Harlot, this time focussing on her work at 22 Acacia Avenue. This is a bit of an extended song-form, quite unlike anything they’d done prior. The opening verses take on almost a verse/chorus structure of their own, alternating between Adrian’s chugging with the band adding stabs to support and the whole band playing together. This then drops us into a completely different section with it’s own set of verses and choruses. This song starts up with almost an invitation to number 22, before starting to take a more bleak look and questioning why Charlotte is in this life, before ultimately ending up with the plea to leave this life behind. This song appeared semi-regularly until the end of the No Prayer tour and only got revisited for a short run in 2003, but hasn’t been seen since. I hope Maiden pick this one up again sometime before they call it a day.

Do we even need to discuss this next song? There’s a good chance that if you’re reading this far into my deep dives, this song is the reason why. The Number of the Beast opens with a spoken passage by actor Barry Clayton before leading into some of Bruce’s greatest vocal work with this iconic intro. This song is taken from a dream that Steve Harris had after watching the film Omen II. It’s also Iron Maiden’s second most played song live with 1900 performances listed on Setlist FM to date. This song is simply iconic and deservedly so.

The same can be said about Run to the Hills really. This one is much more upbeat, almost disco tempo. The iconic intro riff has always reminded me of the opening instrumental passage to Jeff Wayne’s War of the Worlds from 1978. The lyrics are about the American Indians, though taken from both sides. The intro takes the perspective of the Indians, while the rest of the song takes the perspective of the American soldiers. I’ve never heard a massacre sound so upbeat. This song currently seems to be on a rotation where it will be played one tour and skipped the next, and I’m kinda glad for that. While it is one of Maiden’s most instantly recognisable song, I feel like it’s a little overdone at this point but it’s still a bit of fun when it does show up.

Ok., let’s talk about Gangland. Oh boy. This song is kinda weird. The story goes that Iron Maiden wrote nine songs for this album and could only fit in eight. The band chose this one over Total Eclipse and Steve Harris has regretted it ever since. To be honest, I think this easily the weakest song on the album. It’s a fast paced rocker, one of only two songs to ever have a writing credit from Clive Burr and it’s got a strong drum beat. Interestingly, this song features the line “murder for vengeance or murder for gain” which is the third time that killing for vengeance is mentioned on the album (appearing in The Prisoner and Run to the Hills). While I think this song is genuinely the weakest, this still manages to have one of my favourite moments on the whole album. This album isn’t the strongest when it comes to guitar harmonies, but Gangland features one in the lead up to the solo that absolutely knocks my socks off. Weirdly, the guitar solo is actually only half finished, with Adrian’s solo coming to a close and an intended follow-up from Dave having reportedly never being tracked.

The other track that could’ve been track 7 is Total Eclipse, and I’m a big fan of this song. Lyrically, this is a warning of a world on the edge of collapse from an ecological disaster. This song did make it as the B-Side to Run to the Hills, but the band ultimately felt that this song was meant to be on the album instead of Gangland. This perfectly fits many of the dark, brooding themes that are on the rest of the album. There’s so many great lead guitar fills, the chorus of “sunrise is gone” sticks in your head, the whole song is just ten times more epic and probably would’ve been my second favourite song on the album. In 2022, for the 40th anniversary of Beast, an alternate version was released with Total Eclipse replacing Gangland, which is cool, but I think I prefer the 1998 version of the album which features both.

We come to the end of The Number of the Beast with what I feel may be Iron Maiden’s best song, even if not my favourite, Hallowed Be Thy Name.  Beginning with a haunting, melodic intro that breaks into an epic harmony before setting up the main riff of the song. Everything that is Iron Maiden, past and future, comes together in this song. The extended song form, Bruce’s soaring vocals, amazing solos, and an unfolding storyline in the lyrics that brings chills every time. Hallowed is about a man facing his imminent death at the gallows’ pole, expressing anguish, then terror before hope that he will return. Unfortunately, this song does steal a line from Rainbow’s Gold by Beckett, which ultimately caused the band a rather lengthy lawsuit, which was ultimately settled out of court. I honestly can’t express enough evidence as to why, but this is easily the best song Iron Maiden has ever written as far as I’m concerned.

So, why then, do I think that Beast is not the greatest album that Iron Maiden has? Well, I just feel that everything that is here is still so formative. There are songs with tonal inconsistencies, there’s no real big harmony moments within a half of the album which has always been such an Iron Maiden staple, and overall it just feels like the band is still only just finding their feet. Take this in contrast to Master of Puppets, which is also a third album that is generally regarded as the band’s greatest. On that album, so many things that were already present on the former two albums have been refined to a gold standard that was never surpassed. Here, I feel that these elements are still being honed in.

I don’t know. Maybe I’m totally wrong. Maybe The Number of the Beast is your all time favourite album. I’m keen to have the discussion with you all. Catch you next week when we trade in hell for some Piece of Mind!

Offline Grappler

« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2024, 07:27:44 AM »
I gave this album a listen last week and enjoyed it all the way through, but usually, I only opt for my favorites (Children, 22, NOTB, RTTH, Hallowed).  5 amazing songs.  For a long time, I considered this my favorite album of theirs, but I don't anymore.  But it's still an iconic album, from the art, to the big songs.  Sadly, I've never seen them play Children or 22 live. 

Strangely enough, every time I've seen them, they did play NOTB, RTTH and Hallowed live, at all 4 shows.  I usually only catch them on tours where they play mostly classic material though. 

Offline The Realm

« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2024, 02:28:43 PM »
The Number of the Beast is my number 1 album of all time from any artist. It is the first metal album I ever heard and changed my life. Still love it dearly to this day.

Offline Cruithne

« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2024, 01:57:43 AM »
With Paul’s departure, it was of the utmost importance that Maiden hire a new singer. This is when they reached out to a man named Paul Bruce Dickinson, originally the singer of Samson. The bands had crossed paths a few times over the years and Bruce had the reputation of being the “human air raid siren”

The Air Raid Siren was a pejorative description given to Bruce's singing by someone not impressed with how Paul Di'Anno's replacement sounded!

With typical British robust sense of humour Maiden marketed him accordingly.

Offline Cruithne

« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2024, 03:59:19 AM »
As to the albums covered thus far. I'm really not a fan of the debut. I love Phantom Of The Opera (the young'uns and the non-Brits probably aren't aware of the following advert for Lucozade https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D4YTB5FZeHQ that was on TV a lot for a while when I was growing up) and Transylvania but otherwise the rest is pretty so-so. I really dislike Di'Anno's vocals on Running Free that're less gritty and more gurgly.

Killers, on the other hand, I love. This might have something to do with it being the second Maiden record I heard (after SSoaSS, which seems odd and is, but it was to do with which albums they had available in the local Woolworths at the time!) but I do really like all of that record.

As for Number Of The Beast...

The album that came as a result of Bruce’s joining is often regarded as one of the greatest metal albums of all time, but this is my review, and to be honest, I definitely don’t share that sentiment.

...yes, I'm on board with that view. Half of the album is great stuff - The Prisoner, Number Of The Beast, Run To The Hills and Hallowed Be Thy Name - the rest I feel is on the weaker side. It's almost like a second debut album with H and Bruce's contributions and Bruce's singing providing a slight pivot in approach.

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2024, 07:33:31 AM »
It's never stood out to me as to why this is THE Iron Maiden classic.  Even when I first got into them as a kid (my mates brother recorded their LP's on tape for me - this was up to and including Somewhere In Time) I thought it was one of the weaker ones.  Hallowed and the Title Track are awesome - but there is a lot of filler, something you don't get on many (non 90's) Maiden albums.

Offline Deadeye21

Re: Deadeye Deep Dives: Iron Maiden (Volume 4. Piece of Mind)
« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2024, 09:07:10 PM »
Piece of Mind – 1983
Tracklisting: 1. Where Eagles Dare. 2. Revelations. 3. Flight of Icarus. 4. Die With Your Boots On. 5. The Trooper. 6. Still Life. 7. Quest for Fire. 8. Sun and Steel. 9. To Tame a Land.

https://open.spotify.com/album/7I9Wh2IgvI3Nnr8Z1ZSWby?si=f3DRYKceQ26Wh2F_73E6SA

Yep. That was the first little break in the action I was talking about. Sorry all, been a rather eventful little stint there. Went out 7 hours into the desert to play a couple of solo gigs then ended up playing a fairly significant show for my band’s album launch (https://gyro.to/TooLongBetweenDrinks for anyone kind enough to give that a shot).

Anyway, here we are with the first album from the band’s most classic lineup of Bruce Dickinson, Steve Harris, Dave Murray and Adrian Smith, now joined by Nicko McBrain. In December of 1982, at the end of the Beast on the Road tour, the band fired Clive Burr. While Steve would say it was because offstage activities were affecting his onstage performance, Clive would go on record saying it was unfair dismissal. Funnily enough, Nicko McBrain had left the French band Trust to join Maiden, where Clive would end up joining the band not too long after.

The band soon found themselves taking over the out of season Le Chalet hotel in Jersey, arranging and rehearsing in the restaurant, before heading to Compass Point Studios in the Bahamas recording the songs. These sessions yielded the band’s fourth album, Piece of Mind. The album’s artwork of Eddie being lobotomised was conceived first, but for quite a while the album was known as Food for Thought. The final title came as a part of a drunken conversation towards the end of the writing period.

How do you start an album with a new drummer? Well, you open up with one of the most classic drum intros in metal, of course! Where Eagles Dare is an absolute tour de force instrumentally with one of the band’s heaviest riffs to date taking centre stage, sitting beautifully above the percussive powerhouse of Nicko’s drumming. Bruce’s vocals are in top form here too, screaming out the plot synopsis to the 1968 war thriller starring Clint Eastwood by the same name. The middle solo section is rather unique, serving to provide breathing space in the song’s rather frantic feel before ending up with a tight rhythmic section between all instruments. This is easily the best opening track to this point, really serving a high point of the entire album in its opening minutes!

Inside the album’s liner notes is this rather peculiar passage. “And God shall wipe away all tears from their eyes; and there shall be no more Death. Neither sorrow, nor crying. Neither shall there be any more brain; for the former things are passed away.” While this is playing on the themes of the album cover and its title, if we replace the word brain with pain, this becomes a direct quote from chapter 21, verse 4 of the Book of Revelation. Enter track 2, Revelations, which takes its first verse from a hymn titled O God of Earth and Altar. The rest of the lyrics take more direct influence from Aleister Crowley. This song is rather unique, standing as a rocker and a ballad at the same time. It’s also the first song that features Bruce Dickinson as its sole composer and as a composer in any sense. The riffs in this song are fairly simple, but the lead work is beyond reproach. Just listen to the amazing solo section and the harmony that wraps it up. Dave and Adrian have taken it a step beyond with this album.

A fairly simple song follows, this one recounting the Greek story of the Flight of Icarus. This song is fairly centred around the vocal work rather than the guitar work, but it really allows Bruce his first foray into what I call his “storytelling vocal delivery” and for the first shot, I think he carries it out fairly well. There’s still some really enjoyable solo work from Adrian and Dave here, but this is really a Bruce song. This was the first single released from the album, and they toured Piece of Mind and Powerslave with it in the setlist, but it disappeared after the first Somewhere in Time show. It then reappeared over 30 years later as part of the Legacy of the Beast setlist (and I’m hoping it might end up replacing Can I Play With Madness when the Future Past hits Australia in September, but dreams are free, right?).

The instrumental prowess I didn’t feel from the riffs of Icarus are more than made up for with the opening of Die With Your Boots On in my opinion. It’s definitely an interesting riff, counting as both the main riff and a harmony, but I just love it! I’m also a huge fan of Bruce’s vocals on this song, here taking on people who like to spin the end of the world to anyone who’ll listen (wait, was this song released in 1983 or 2023?). The harmony section straight after the solo is probably my second favourite harmonised section on the entire album, but damn, I love that riff. This song is simply awesome and yet so often overlooked, even in the fan groups. If reading this gets any kind of response from you, I hope it’s to give this song one more spin.

“Into the valley of death rode the 600. Cannons to the left of them, cannons to the right of them, volleyed and thundered, THE TROOPER!!” – Bruce Dickinson, Rock in Rio, 2001.
Is there really anything to say about The Trooper that hasn’t already been said? Take a look at any streaming platform and this is their number one song. It’s their fourth most played song, so big it’s the one staple they kept on the Future Past tour It’s The Trooper, man. The song is based on the Crimean war, most specifically the charge of the light brigade and it’s also the name of Iron Maiden’s beer line. I think that’s about all I can really say, this is Iron Maiden’s signature piece, even more so than their self-titled song or Number of the Beast. It was the second single from the album, one of the few songs of Maiden’s to ever get radioplay in America and it remains essential metal listening to this day. Let’s move on.

Still Life is an interesting one. The Number of the Beast arrived kinda close to the whole Satanic Panic era, and soon after that came the whole thing about backmasking. For those not sure what that is, it became a bit of a thing where people would play albums in reverse and listen for hidden “evil” messages. Well, the intro to Still Life has a very drunk Nicko making a vocal cameo. Played forwards, it’s a very strange sound. But, played in reverse (which I guess is playing it forwards since the track is reversed on the album, confusing) Nicko starts with an Idi Amin impression saying “What ho said the t'ing with the three 'bonce, don’t meddle with things you don’t understand” and then burping. A piss take, to be sure, but the message was clear. Don’t mess with it, you don’t get it.

Onto the actual song. Here’s a rare Dave Murray contribution, and a rocking yet creepy one at that. This song is grim, with a character seeing demons at the bottom of a pool that slowly drive him insane and convince him that he should drown himself and his girlfriend and the bottom of the pool. DARK! The riffs supporting the song are great, providing just enough to propel the vocals forward while also allowing some lead moments. I love the progression into the final verse where Nicko’s drumming becomes even more staccato, driving the desperation of the final moments. The song is far from common live, but you can find a pretty good performance of it on Maiden England ’88 along with a good handful of other rarities.

Everyone has opinions on what’s the best and what’s the worst when it comes to music. This is definitely taking a long lead towards the latter. Quest for Fire is a really goofy song where Bruce overshoots a lot of his vocal notes on lyrics about cavemen and dinosaurs. This song has a really cool instrumental section, and the bass on this is really good, not to mention the solos. But man, when you look at the last few albums holding back a song to be a B-Side, it raises the question of why this made the album. Maybe they needed something a bit more light-hearted after the grimness of an insanity based drowning? It’s a hard pass from me.

Sun and Steel on the other hand, this is a pretty decent song. This is very much the biography of Miyamoto Musashi, a samurai renowned for double-bladed swordsmanship and an undefeated dueling record of 61 victories. The chorus on this one is an earworm if ever I heard one, and it just leaves me in a good mood. Really not one to say a whole lot about, but it’s a good time and that’s still more than I can say about Quest for Fire.

Now, the delay on this chapter has made for excellent timing, seeing the last song of this album has a certain literary theme to it. To Tame a Land is the only song that Maiden has ever had to change the title of after initial pressings of the album. Originally, the song was called Dune, but when Rod and Steve asked Frank Herbert’s agent for permission to use the title for the track, they received a written response that said “No. Frank Herbert doesn’t like rock bands, particularly heavy rock bands and especially rock bands like Iron Maiden”. According to Bruce, Frank threatened to sue them and prevent the album from coming out if the song was titled Dune. So they named it To Tame a Land, but maintained the lyrics that will seem beyond strange to anyone who hasn’t read the book or seen any of the films. Mention is made of Freman, Caladan, stillsuits, the Gom Jabar and the Muad’Dim. The song has a particular Middle-Eastern feel which lends well to the desert. The best parts of the song all begin from 2:55 when the song drops back to bass and vocals for the final bridge. This then kicks into an absolutely beastly instrumental coda to Piece of Mind, starting with a great trading solo and then capped off with not just the best harmonies of the album, but one of the greatest harmonies of all. This shifting section is just HUGE, and then they make it even bigger by breaking the bass and drums down to simple sustains. Man, it’s a beast of a song, and I can see why Steve remarked at the time This is the best song I've ever written. I was really pleased with Phantom, but now I have to say that this is the best." Shame they haven’t done it since 1983, but Nicko has recently done it with his Rock n Roll Ribs house band Titanium Tart, so I hope there’s a growing interest in the song for next tour.

And that’s Piece of Mind. What an album! So why do I not come back to it more often? I feel like while this album is very much known for being “the one with The Trooper and Revelations”, there are songs like Quest for Fire and Sun and Steel which get looked down upon as being lesser entries from Maiden, especially when compared to where the discography had been going to this point. It’s a part of the classic trio of Beast-Powerslave, but it just feels like the middle child in a sense. It’s so good that we don’t pay attention to it. Well, maybe we should. Maybe it’s time to give this one another go.

Next week should still be a go, but Somewhere in Time may be another delay as I'll beheading to Adelaide to catch Dsiturbed and Pantera. Sorry if ther delays are bothering you, but life first, right?

Offline Grappler

« Reply #22 on: March 06, 2024, 09:18:09 PM »
For the longest time, I've only ever liked the first 5 songs on Piece of Mind.  I re-listened a couple of weeks ago and loved Still Life.  Sun and Steel is alright.  And I've always found To Tame a Land to be boring. 

I've seen them play Revelations, Flight of Icarus and Die With Your Boots on, along with the Trooper, of course.  Only missing Where Eagles Dare, which I missed on the first Legacy tour go-around.  4 out of 5 favorites being caught live isn't bad!

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #23 on: March 07, 2024, 12:15:43 AM »
Nice work, Deadeye.

Such a classic. The cover adorned the first metal shirt I ever owned. 🙂

The whole band is on fire at this point. Love what you said about DWYBO. I've always felt it gets less attention than it should. Quite a fun, positive lyric, really. Useful in this day and age, even.

Revelations is my favourite song on the record, probably. Bruce sounds amazing on it. And that part where it speeds up might be one of my favourite parts of the whole discography.

The rhythm guitars sound a teeny bit thin on the album, maybe, and I don't love TTAL as much as everyone else. I like it always found it a tiny bit awkward and clunky. Would probably feel differently were I a Dune fan. If pushed, I'd rather listen to the 2 preceding tracks over it, tbh.

I have to defend Quest For Fire. Always loved it, always will. Those lyrics with that vocal. Amazing. :lol The music to the song is also great. The rhythmic stanza (?) opening and closing it. The rolling gallop under verses. The break. Seriously, if you can take the goofy lyric as a piece of fun, it's a cracker. Sun & Steel also really great. Smashing riffs, great chorus. The band could do worse than try to write more concise 4 min rockers at this point, imo.

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Re: Deadeye Deep Dives: Iron Maiden (Volume 4. Piece of Mind)
« Reply #24 on: March 07, 2024, 12:22:57 AM »
I've always enjoyed both Sun And Steel and Quest For Fire. What I've never enjoyed though is Die With Your Boots On. That song stops this album from being an amazing one to me.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Deadeye21

Re: Deadeye Deep Dives: Iron Maiden (Volume 5. Powerslave)
« Reply #25 on: March 15, 2024, 03:30:32 AM »
Powerslave – 1984
Tracklisting: 1. Aces High. 2. 2 Minutes to Midnight. 3. Losfer Words (Big ‘Orra). 4. Flash of the Blade. 5. The Duellists. 6. Back in the Village. 7. Powerslave. 8. Rime of the Ancient Mariner.

https://open.spotify.com/album/309KOMEivisMmBuzk09635?si=-AirVItDTnCH-RVX-OJHdA

Who’s in the band now? We start every single one of these with the rundown of the changes in personnel that it almost seems fair to ask if you’re not entirely familiar with the history of Iron Maiden.
Well, for once, Steve managed to keep everyone on board. It took 4 albums, but once Nicko McBrain took the throne, it would stay that way for the next few years.

Once again the band found themselves in Jersey and then in Nassau for the next record. This period produced eight new original songs, and with the central theme of power taking hold of most of the record, the band settled on the name Powerslave.

The album starts with one of the most iconic intros the band would ever produce, Aces High. The harmonised guitars kick up strong while Steve and Nicko provide an intense rhythmic backing, then into that legendary riff with Bruce’s vocal intro to the album being the strongest he’s ever sounded. Aces High is about the Battle of Britain, and it’s probably the biggest opening song Maiden has ever made. The song has only seen inclusion on 5 tours since its release and its influence as an opener can’t be overstated, since using Aces High as a closing song on the Legacy of the Beast’s final leg in 2022 felt so utterly wrong. This song is adrenaline and power all rolled into one, masterfully highlighting the sound of the album into 4 and a half minutes.

Next is 2 Minutes to Midnight. This one is more of a protest song, taking aim at the commercialisation of war and using it to fuel the global economy, which then leads the already rich politicians to profit and leaves the world in a much worse state leading to development of better weaponry that will ultimately spurn another war. With a rather important message to the song, it’s an odd choice to have made this such a fun banger. This was the first single from the album and the first Iron Maiden single to run longer than 5 minutes, remaining in the top 5 longest to this day with it’s 6:03 runtime. Adrian’s riff here is a quintessential metal riff and the song even appeared in the soundtrack of GTA: Vice City on the V-Radio station. This one has kinda been overplayed for me, having been a staple of so many tours (setlist.fm shows the band to have played this one 1388 times, their 6th most played song), but it’s still a good time. One last fact about the song; despite fundamentally criticising the atomic age of warfare, the single released on August 6th 1984, which is exactly 39 years to the day of the Hiroshima bombing. Scary.

Track three is the band’s final instrumental song to date, Losfer Words (Big ‘Orra). It’s likely that most people will disagree with me here, but I think this is the band’s best instrumental. Given that the song was originally supposed to have vocals, but no lyrics were able to be completed for it, it earned the title of Lost For Words, which then became Losfer to make light of Steve’s accent. I think this is the best structured of the instrumentals, using a lot of repeated theming. I love the two sections immediately following the solo, which has almost an early glimpse of Wasted Years, followed by such a triumphant theme. The ‘chorus’ section is just awesome. Since it is an instrumental, there isn’t too much to say, so I’ll wrap up by saying I once performed this at a high school talent showcase, albeit unable to do the harmonies with only one guitar, and I like to think I did it well.

Flash of the Blade is next, another song fully attributed to Bruce like Revelations. This one takes up a Medieval theme of a young boy who liked to play swordfighting becoming a master swordfighter as he adults. This one is often overlooked, but it’s a great tune. I love the middle instrumental section with a lot of great guitar work, even sans a true solo, but it would be far too much for them to ever carry out without the modern day three guitar lineup. Given that the song is attributed solely to Dickinson, I’m guessing he must be one hell of a guitarist. Sadly, until last year’s Future Past tour, there was an unwritten rule of “not on the original tour, never gets played”. This is a great song with some really cool vocal harmonies, but oddly enough, I think this is another song like Remember Tomorrow, where I actually prefer a cover version. In 2008, Avenged Sevenfold recorded a cover of this for the same Maiden Heaven tribute that featured Metallica’s Remember Tomorrow cover. I think the interplay between Shadows and the rest of the band works a little better for me than the wall of Bruce, and I think Shadows’ delivery actually works better overall in my ear (tease: might be doing Avenged after Maiden).

Almost as if to answer Bruce’s swordplay song, Steve Harris wrote The Duellists and put it up next. The lyrics are secondary to the song in my opinion. Despite the chorus being pretty catchy, the verses only serve as a bit of exposition before the duel begins. The duel itself is between Dave and Adrian here. This is a perfect bit of duelling guitar. We get the tradeoff solos, we even get two harmony sections running against each other to start the whole section off. This song really has it all for guitar work, there’s even some great moments where Steve and Nicko drop out, or where Steve plays some interweaving bass fills that cut through perfectly. Man, what a cool song.

Track six already? Cast your mind back to The Number of the Beast, specifically a song called The Prisoner. Well, here we are with a rather rare part 2 with Back in the Village. The Village was the name of the prison from the BBC show, and we even get a direct lyrical reference at the very end of the song with the “I don’t have a number, I’m a name” referring to the famous “I’m not a number, I am a free man!” from the show’s intro. Man, this is a fast song and no part of it is easy to play for you musicians. Steve’s got some funky bass fills here, and every riff that Adrian threw into this song is top tier. Severely overlooked, and oft debated as it seems this song may have been played live for the first few dates of the World Slavery Tour, but no bootleg from the era has ever recorded it. It remains a mystery, but it does mean that it could be brought back someday.

Now, when it comes to my metal bands, it seems I have a bit of a type where I seem to favour the title tracks of albums released in 1984. Yes, much as my favourite Metallica song is Ride the Lightning, Powerslave puts up a serious fight for my favourite Maiden song of them all. Once again solely attributed to Bruce, this song has some of the heaviest middle eastern inspired riffing the band has ever had, plus one of Bruce’s strongest vocal performances. Couple that with a massive chorus and one of the best guitar solos ever played from Dave Murray, and it’s hard to resist this song in any way. I was lucky enough to see this one on the Book of Souls tour in 2016 and I’m praying for something that great from the Future Past tour in September.

Rime of the Ancient Mariner takes up a rather significant chunk of the album’s length, running for 13 of the album’s 51 minute length. This is a musical retelling of the Samuel Taylor Coleridge poem of the same name, which tells the story of a mariner who kills an albatross (known to be a bird of good omen) which brings down a curse of grave misfortune for his crew. Section one of the song is fairly straightforward, primarily carried by Bruce’s vocals to drive forward much of the story, though there are a few moments where the guitar get to shine. The second section of the song starts around the 3 minute mark and elevates the song to another level. This is where Bruce starts to get a little more aggressive and the bass rhythms become much more frantic. The song then breaks down into an ominous spoken word section that then builds into a rather pretty bridge section that reminds me of The Clairvoyant (though that song won’t come to be for another two albums yet). This then kicks up into a killer instrumental section with some fine work from the whole band. The song then ends where it began sound wise. There’s definitely a lot of distinction between the different sections, which fall in line with where the story is at the time. It’s a great song, but not one I’m always in the mood for, which seemed to be the case this time around. Nonetheless, a huge song and a perfect closer to such a massive album.

Powerslave. What an album! This is definitely in my top 3, and it earns it throughout every song. Even the overlooked songs that many would point to as filler is absolutely killer. This then spawned an iconic tour with World Slavery, which in turn gave birth to Live After Death, which we shall have to talk about, or I’m thinking my fan card would end up revoked. Anyway, what do you think of Powerslave? Let me know, I’m keen to talk about it!

Offline Grappler

« Reply #26 on: March 15, 2024, 01:12:31 PM »
Powerslave is one of my top Maiden albums, usually fighting NOTB for the top spot.  I even have a Powerslave coffee mug that I bought on Etsy a year ago.   :lol

I love the album and can't agree more with your writeup, even the middle four songs that don't get much love from the band anymore.  I've seen Maiden four times so far and have caught half of the album played live:

Opened with Aces High twice (99, 08), closed once (22)
Played Powerslave twice (99, 08)
Played 2 Minutes three times (99, 03, 08)
Played Rime once (08)

Happy to have seen those songs played live.  Given how rare it is to see Aces High in the set when they tour for a new album, I've seen them play it at 3 out of 4 shows. 

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #27 on: March 15, 2024, 01:21:14 PM »
One: I LOVE Back In The Village (it was 23 on my list, and second highest Powerslave track after Rime).
Two: we used a variation on the Revelations quote for my father's funeral card. He suffered greatly from arthritis for most of his adult life, and for him there was literally no more pain.  (Shout out to Scotty for helping me with that, by the way).

Offline billboy73

« Reply #28 on: March 15, 2024, 01:50:50 PM »
Powerslave is my favorite or 2nd favorite (depending on the day) Maiden album.  This is a great album from start to finish.  Also, my favorite Maiden cover art.  What a killer album cover!

Offline Grappler

« Reply #29 on: March 15, 2024, 06:48:22 PM »
I love the album cover so much - when I saw that they made a Funko pop of the cover, I had to buy it!

Offline Deadeye21

« Reply #30 on: March 15, 2024, 06:50:33 PM »
I’ve got that one too! So cool!

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #31 on: March 17, 2024, 05:01:30 PM »
Abs top drawer Maiden, this. Lots seem to not enjoy a fair bit of it but I think it's pretty flawless. Love Losfer and Village, I don't get what's not to love. The title track really is incredible. Captures the vibe so well.

Not to take away from NOTB or POM but Powerslave, Somewhere and Seventh are a simply colossal trio.

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #32 on: March 18, 2024, 10:42:20 AM »
nice writing here by deadeye

I was there at the beginning of IM w Paul and loved them till Powerslave   after Powerslave they became a bit "samey" and to me a bit stale

Powerslave is prob my fav IM with Bruce album and had a great time on that tour
« Last Edit: March 18, 2024, 10:48:39 AM by EPICVIEW »
"its so relieving to know that your leaving as soon as you get paid, Its so relaxing to know that your asking now that you got your way"

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #33 on: March 19, 2024, 07:47:00 AM »
Somehow I missed this thread, but great job Deadeye! Not much I can add, so I'll do a quick rundown:

Iron Maiden: shame about the production, but song-writing is top notch. Really great debut. Love every song except Running Free and the title track. Phantom always in my top 3.

Killers: much better sound and Adrian on board. More killer tracks, pun intended. Innocent Exile is a very underrated tune. More great drumming from Clive whom I prefer over Nicko.

Number: not including Total Eclipse on the official release just a massive blunder; my second favorite song on there after Hallowed. A big leap forward with Bruce.

Piece of Mind: begins with my favorite Maiden song. Sucks that the kick drums are so low in the mix. Still Life is another standout, great instrumental section. Great album, Bruce's best vocals.

Powerslave: the first one released after I became a fan, played it to death. Best sounding album probably, the guitars rip on here. Steve starting to re-use ideas which would become endemic.

Looking forward to the next couple write-ups since it will be my 2 favorite IM albums.

Offline Deadeye21

Re: Deadeye Deep Dives: Iron Maiden (Volume 5.5. Live AFter Death)
« Reply #34 on: March 21, 2024, 11:38:52 PM »
Live After Death – 1985
Setlist: 1. Intro - Churchill’s Speech. 2. Aces High. 3. 2 Minutes to Midnight. 4. The Trooper. 5. Revelations. 6. Flight of Icarus. 7. Rime of the Ancient Mariner. 8. Powerslave. 9. The Number of the Beast. 10. Hallowed Be Thy Name. 11. Iron Maiden. 12. Run to the Hills. 13. Running Free.
Bonus tracks – 1. Wrathchild. 2. 22 Acacia Avenue. 3. Children of the Damned. 4.  Die With Your Boots On. 5. Phantom of the Opera.

So, Live After Death. I didn’t really want to spend too much time on the live albums with this deep dive series as I feel I got a little bogged down in doing the live releases with Metallica. It made that series go on a little too long for me, and I kinda want to just keep moving with Maiden when they have so much ground to cover with the studio material alone, plus a few B-Side tracks I really want to look at. However, Live After Death warrants a look into because I feel like I’d kinda be short changing the band if I didn’t look into one of the biggest live releases of all time.

The World Slavery was the band’s biggest tour at this point, lasting 331 and spanning 189 concerts. It saw the band perform behind the Iron Curtain and all over the rest of the world. The production value was massive, jam packed with pyrotechnics and sarcophagi done up to look like Eddie, plus a massive walking Mummy Eddie. It’s a show that Steve Harris still thinks of as one of the best the band ever did, and he’d be right. This is most likely exactly what you would think of when you hear “Iron Maiden concert”. The tour ran from August of 1984 into July of 1985, and is known for being one of the most arduous tours the band has ever done, leaving the young quintet demanding a break for the rest of the year immediately following the final show.

As it turns out, the band had two strings of four nights at the same venue. Firstly, at the Hammersmith Odeon in London, where Bruce Dickinson mentions that the footage should’ve been taken from. However, the lighting co-ordinator and the video team seemed to be at war with each other, and ultimately ended up with brilliant audio but unusable video. Luckily, their next chance was at Long Beach Arena in California, which ended up being perfect for the band’s first live video and double album.

Aces High is up first, with the first time we get to hear the amazing Churchill’s Speech preceding it. Man, what an epic intro to a concert it makes. Not gonna lie, having been a Maiden fan from a young age, Aces High ruined history class a little, since every time I hear the “we shall never surrender” my head automatically inserts the start of the song. The band kicks off well, but by the time we get to the key change in the first verse, you realise that Bruce isn’t necessarily in as great of a form as he could be. I love hearing Adrian actually joining in on the chorus harmonies. Instrumentally, this is a great performance of the song.

2 Minutes to Midnight up next, and you can hear the crowd going nuts during the intro. This is a strong performance from the band, and I love the chorus with the gag vocals. Solo here is expertly executed. I must say, being way more into the three guitar era live albums, I kinda miss Janick’s ending flurry out of the bridge, it just makes it a little more exciting than just the chords climbing back out again. My favourite part of this performance is actually a tiny little bit of extra lead guitar added to the “midnight is all night” section after the last chorus.

The Trooper sounds fantastic here, though I don’t really like Bruce’s random wailing right at the start. This is one of Bruce’s better performances for the main concert in my opinion, and a really strong performance from everyone overall. Bruce really struggles with the closing verse here, and randomly adding yeahs and other sounds than just the straight “oh” in the chorus doesn’t do it for me.

After a rather random introduction from Bruce, Revelations is up next. This is another one where Bruce just overdoes it when he doesn’t need to, with a random scatting in the intro. While we’re talking about Bruce though, a little interesting tidbit for you is that this track still features a third guitar during the opening harmonies, a clean chord line played by Bruce. This then goes on to omit a great bit of lead guitar from the album before the second verse. Bruce loses the pace and rhythm of the vocals at many points during the verses, which is a shame, because I really love the vocal line as written. One thing I do like is the post-solo riff being harmionised in the back half instead of just straight up harmony. Ultimately, some of the choices made for this song end up making this my least favourite of the three live versions we have of this song. There is a pretty funny moment where Bruce holds out the final notes of “all of you”, only for (I think it is anyway) Steve to shout out “mother***ers!”

Flight of Icarus follows, though the tempo is absolutely overcharged. Yes, bands tend to play a lot of their material a little faster live, but this is ridiculously quick, everything happening about 20 seconds earlier than it really should. Many of the songs are significantly shorter than they should be in this performance, simply due to the racing tempos. Bruce’s scream at the end of this song is deadly, but I would prefer to stick to the studio version with this one.

Rime of the Ancient Mariner, a song that would be an absolute set piece of any other Maiden show, is up next as the 6th song of the setlist. This starts with possibly the most iconic introduction to a song Bruce has ever made up. “This is what not to do if a bird shits on ya”. This one is sped up a little, and it makes the song that much livelier. The band is on fire for this whole song, Bruce even makes some embellishments that really suit the song. The rapid fire second section sounds AWESOME here, Bruce even has a really evil voice on the words “roll the dice” in the second verse for this section. The creepy spoken word section still kills the song dead for me here though, but it does sound like the reading is a little different. The sound effects in this section that sat well in the studio version seem to sit oddly in the mix here. Steve really ups the pace for the bright bridge section, really adding to that Clairvoyant feel I mentioned in the album review. Bruce’s scream here is a little disappointing, but the energy of the solo section makes up for it nicely. The harmony in this one really needs the addition of Janick Gers to flow perfectly. Hearing this after knowing the Flight 666 version’s perfection is almost a curse.

Powerslave follows, which we’ve established is one of my favourite Iron Maiden songs. I’m sorry to say it, but I feel this performance is a little sloppy during the first verse. The increased tempo doesn’t work for this song, since the slower groove made it feel that much more ominous. That said, it doesn’t really matter how fast it’s played, Dave’s solo is still a masterpiece. The whole instrumental section is brilliant, as is the ending cacophony, but this performance could’ve been better.

Number of the Beast is kinda meh. Bruce fails the run up to the scream in the intro, which is some of my favourite vocal on many live recordings the band has produced since. He’s also very shaky on most of the verses. This really isn’t his finest moment. The band sounds great, and the breakdown between the two solos is particularly masterful here. Steve’s bass solo is also fairly strong.

Hallowed Be Thy Name is another song like Rime where it really depends on a strong vocal performance to go right. So, why does Bruce put on a weird accent for the intro here? It’s a little jarring actually. At least he nails the low sustains. Band is still absolutely in top form here and Bruce isn’t too bad on this one, though I do miss many of the higher notes that Bruce omits, possibly due to the speed. It’s great to have a live version with Adrian playing the second solo though, as it usually falls to Janick. These are some of the finest guitar solos on the album too.

Iron Maiden is strangely, the one song that slows the hell down from the album version, almost giving the riff a new rhythm entirely. I actually prefer this version to what’s on the original album. The instrumental breakdown is awesome too, and I really love Nicko following Steve’s bass solo.

Run to the Hills is interesting, with it sounding like most of the harmony is actually between the lead guitar and the bass, not the other guitar. Bruce does a pretty decent job of the verses on this one, and I’m not even against his reworking of the chorus melody. Nicko makes the drum work on this sound like a breeze too, even at the higher tempo. Solo is great, Bruce’s big scale is really good here too. This is probably Bruce’s best performance in the main concert overall.

Running Free is presented here as the final song of the concert, though the true closing song would later be presented as the B-Side to Running Free’s single release. If you don’t like this song on the album, you’re probably not gonna like it much more on this one, with the added five minutes of crowd banter and screaming. Bruce sings it well, the harmony sections are really fluid, but it’s actually a slightly disappointing ending to the concert as a whole. A nine minute version of a four minute song, extended by a crowd singalong and Bruce yammering over the same riff for five odd minutes doesn’t really grab me.

So, Live After Death's main performance doesn’t actually hold up for me at all. These performances were from March of 1985, a fair ways into the tour, and you can tell the band is starting to fatigue from spending so long on the road. This album was received so well that I hate to be the guy, but I don’t think it’s all that great.

However, this is a double album. With the five bonus tracks, we rewind back to October of 1984 at the Hammersmith Odeon. The difference between Bruce’s voice at the start of the tour is noticeable with Wrathchild. He seems to have much less trouble with this than something like Number of the Beast. The guitar tone also seems much fuller, and I love the sound of Steve and Adrian singing on the chorus. The odd thing is that I can’t see where this performance would have come from as the song was only performed a small handful of times on the World Slavery tour, and neither the Odeon nor Long Beach Arena had this song in any setlist. Odd.

22 Acacia Avenue is next, and unlike most of the main show, I think I actually like this performance better than the album. Bruce has a certain vigour in this performance that wasn’t as present in the album version. The second half on this performance absolutely ROCKS!! I think I prefer Nicko’s drumming on this to Clive’s original. This whole thing just sounds so good live. There’s a whole different vibe to Dave’s solo here that I wish is what the album had done. Yeah, sure, Bruce misses some notes in the final verse, but man, he’s working hard on this one. This makes me want it back more than ever. Would not be disappointed if Prisoner got swapped out for this one on Future Past if they still want to have a Number of the Beast deep cut there.

Children of the Damned up next, and what a great performance. This is most probably Bruce’s best song on the whole album, and I think it comes down to getting to restrain himself a little more during the song’s verses. Everything on this performance is done to a very high degree, and I absolutely love it. Not only is it one of Bruce’s bet, but this might be the second best from the band overall on Live After Death.

A true rarity in the form of Die With Your Boots On next. This is another high energy performance, and absolutely rocking the whole way. If you thought the album version was a little sluggish, just get this version in your ears instead. The solo here is blistering, and the only really downside is that the harmony riff that I love so much isn’t quite as strong as I wish it were. It sounds like there’s a slight drag from Adrian with the lower end of the riff, or a bit of a rush from Dave coming out of his solo. This song was played a whole 4 times on the World Slavery tour, and this is the only official live version of it that ever released, so I’m really glad we have this.

Completing this collection of bonuses is Phantom of the Opera. If you want the band to go beast mode for 7 and a half minutes, here ya go. People will debate if Bruce sounds good singing the Paul Di’Anno songs, but man, he tears this one up, staying steady to the original lines while still adding that Bruce flair. Steve and Adrian are here singing the backing vocals, and it’s just a great time. The instrumental section has never sounded better, which is amazing when you consider 3/5 of the band weren’t there when the song was written. This is absolutely the best song from the whole Live After Death package, and I’m so glad it’s here!

With that said, I think the real best way to way to experience the World Slavery tour would be to find a bootleg of the Hammersmith Odeon shows that I once found circulating. Sadly, it’s since been removed from YouTube or I would add the link. I’m not ashamed to say I find this release to be less spectacular than it is culturally important. This was Iron Maiden at the peak of their popularity, and it’s great to have a document of that. I’m glad this album has sold as well as it has. But for me, I would prefer to listen to Flight 666 for my Powerslave live performances, as I think the whole band had matured far beyond this point. You can tell Bruce learns to sing live sustainably far later in his career than he does here.

But I digress, that’s just me. What do you think, am I wrong? Is Live After Death a godly performance that I'm just not hearing properly? Or are the Odeon bonus songs the best of the album overall for you too? Keen to hear your thoughts.