Author Topic: Video Game Thread v. Series Xbox One X Series Switch S 5  (Read 170722 times)

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
Re: Video Game Thread v. Series Xbox One X Series Switch S 5
« Reply #3465 on: March 04, 2024, 03:54:06 PM »
At the moment I've been replaying:

Assassin's Creed II
Metroid Prime
Dark Souls
Shenmue

And been half-assedly playing Hogwarts Legacy, at my wife's behest admittedly. Hopefully I can get through 'em all by the time Shadow of the Erdtree comes out, because everything's getting dropped for that one.

Wait, who???

Fir the record, I've played through AC II and Brotherhood in the last month or so, and am about 80% of the way through Revelations

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #3466 on: March 04, 2024, 04:34:11 PM »

Assassin's Creed II
Metroid Prime
Dark Souls
Shenmue

And been half-assedly playing Hogwarts Legacy, at my wife's behest admittedly. Hopefully I can get through 'em all by the time Shadow of the Erdtree comes out, because everything's getting dropped for that one.
Hey Gan, haven't seen you around here in a while.

Funny you mention Shenmue. I was just thinking about that the other day. It's such a strange game. There really wasn't anything like it at the time and there hasn't been anything like it since.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
Hey Stadler, your PM inbox is full.
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline ganpondorodf

• Calamity
« Reply #3467 on: March 04, 2024, 04:44:07 PM »

Assassin's Creed II
Metroid Prime
Dark Souls
Shenmue

Funny you mention Shenmue. I was just thinking about that the other day. It's such a strange game. There really wasn't anything like it at the time and there hasn't been anything like it since.

Playing through Shenmue (or at least the first disc of it) is something of a Christmas tradition for me and my brothers, so the chances of me actually finishing it this time (it is March, after all!) are slim. One of my favorites though, and it is very unique. Kind of hard to explain its appeal to anyone who wasn't there at the time, it's almost Lynchian in its strange, alien charm. The Yakuza games supposedly carried the torch to a certain extent but I've never really tried any of them.

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #3468 on: March 04, 2024, 07:34:09 PM »

Assassin's Creed II
Metroid Prime
Dark Souls
Shenmue

Playing through Shenmue (or at least the first disc of it) is something of a Christmas tradition for me and my brothers, so the chances of me actually finishing it this time (it is March, after all!) are slim. One of my favorites though, and it is very unique. Kind of hard to explain its appeal to anyone who wasn't there at the time, it's almost Lynchian in its strange, alien charm. The Yakuza games supposedly carried the torch to a certain extent but I've never really tried any of them.
Yeah, the Yakuza games are probably the closest comparison.......with maybe a touch of Death Stranding.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
Hey Stadler, your PM inbox is full.
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #3469 on: March 04, 2024, 07:59:23 PM »
I'm getting the Atari VCS 800 for my birthday. I can stream Ll the old system games and new ones.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3470 on: March 04, 2024, 08:39:18 PM »
Castlevania: Dracula X
An old SNES game that is supposedly really bad, at least compared to the previous game in the series it's based on. Either way, I had a great time with this. It was tough, but doable with some practice. While the Advance Collection I played it on allows for rewinding, I refused to do and played as if I was playing on original console. Made for a better experience, IMO. Grade: B+

Metroid Prime Remastered
A remake of the classic GameCube game, this version is just as amazing as the original. Controls and visuals are updated. I was a bit disappointed there wasn't much in the way of bonuses or extras. I guess Hard Mode unlocks after you win, but I wanted to move on. Grade: A

I know I played Castlevania: Dracula X back in the SNES days but I don't remember much from it. It's downfall was that it followed the amazing Super Castlevania IV.

It's crazy to think I've played a version Metroid Prime on 3 different consoles. The remaster probably wasn't worth whatever I paid for it, as I had already played it a few times on GC and Wii, but I just couldn't resist.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #3471 on: March 05, 2024, 05:44:03 AM »
Still making my way through Dark Souls, very slowly but I'm getting gud.

Online nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3472 on: March 05, 2024, 05:53:21 AM »
I'm playing Pacific Drive at the moment. It was a reluctant purchase due to the lack of a proper save function but I'm actually finding it okay. And the game itself is pretty interesting.

Last Epoch, too. But I'm finding it a bit of a struggle. More visually interesting than Diablo IV, at least, and slightly more fun to play. But nowhere near as good as the ageing Grim Dawn.
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #3473 on: March 06, 2024, 07:23:28 AM »
I heard the Metroid Prime Remaster was incredible. I may pivot over to that after finishing Baldur's Gate, hopefully this month. Gaming with a newborn is hard. :lol
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline OpenYourEyes311

« Reply #3474 on: March 06, 2024, 07:55:28 AM »
Castlevania: Dracula X
An old SNES game that is supposedly really bad, at least compared to the previous game in the series it's based on. Either way, I had a great time with this. It was tough, but doable with some practice. While the Advance Collection I played it on allows for rewinding, I refused to do and played as if I was playing on original console. Made for a better experience, IMO. Grade: B+

Metroid Prime Remastered
A remake of the classic GameCube game, this version is just as amazing as the original. Controls and visuals are updated. I was a bit disappointed there wasn't much in the way of bonuses or extras. I guess Hard Mode unlocks after you win, but I wanted to move on. Grade: A

I know I played Castlevania: Dracula X back in the SNES days but I don't remember much from it. It's downfall was that it followed the amazing Super Castlevania IV.

It's crazy to think I've played a version Metroid Prime on 3 different consoles. The remaster probably wasn't worth whatever I paid for it, as I had already played it a few times on GC and Wii, but I just couldn't resist.

I heard the Metroid Prime Remaster was incredible. I may pivot over to that after finishing Baldur's Gate, hopefully this month. Gaming with a newborn is hard. :lol

I'd say the Remaster is definitely worth revisiting the game. For me, it was like seeing an old friend for the first time in years.
I don't want MP playing with DT unless they were making a drummer change. If they let MM go and bring back MP, then fine, but no guest appearance please.
WELP.

Offline ganpondorodf

• Calamity
« Reply #3475 on: March 06, 2024, 10:22:11 AM »
The Prime remaster slaps. Great control options too. Graphically it is exactly what you want from this sort of thing, where it looks way better but also weirdly looks like how your brain REMEMBERS it looking originally. It's a great trick if you can pull it off

Offline OpenYourEyes311

« Reply #3476 on: March 06, 2024, 11:45:33 AM »
The Prime remaster slaps. Great control options too. Graphically it is exactly what you want from this sort of thing, where it looks way better but also weirdly looks like how your brain REMEMBERS it looking originally. It's a great trick if you can pull it off

Yes! All of this.
I don't want MP playing with DT unless they were making a drummer change. If they let MM go and bring back MP, then fine, but no guest appearance please.
WELP.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #3477 on: March 06, 2024, 12:44:01 PM »

It is one of the rare Switch games that legitimately looks great on my 55" LG oled, both in terms of textures/animation and picture quality.

Also an amazing game for sure.

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #3478 on: March 13, 2024, 08:15:25 PM »
I'm playing Pacific Drive at the moment. It was a reluctant purchase due to the lack of a proper save function but I'm actually finding it okay. And the game itself is pretty interesting.

The save system turned me off too but perhaps it shouldn't. I finished Persona 5 Royal and that game could go on and on and on without a fucking save point.

DISPLAY thy Breasts, My Julia!

Online nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3479 on: March 14, 2024, 01:27:40 AM »
I honestly haven't found the save system a problem yet and I'm not from the console generation (not saying you are!) who perhaps are more forgiving of checkpoint-type saving. You can actually get to a save point fairly easily once the initial tutorial is out of the way.
Paul
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #3480 on: March 14, 2024, 05:56:28 AM »
I honestly haven't found the save system a problem yet and I'm not from the console generation (not saying you are!) who perhaps are more forgiving of checkpoint-type saving. You can actually get to a save point fairly easily once the initial tutorial is out of the way.

Herrick is from the console generation when there were no save points :biggrin: My favorite save systems are the ones where you can almost anywhere.

Online nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3481 on: March 14, 2024, 10:58:38 AM »
Hehe! I think save anywhere functionality should be a given these days. I get artistic vision and all that but... f*ck off. Respect my goddamn time! (Please.) :lol
Paul
Leicestershire, UK

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #3482 on: March 14, 2024, 11:00:38 AM »
Hehe! I think save anywhere functionality should be a given these days. I get artistic vision and all that but... f*ck off. Respect my goddamn time! (Please.) :lol

I just get annoyed having to replay the same shit over and over again when I die.

Online nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3483 on: March 14, 2024, 11:02:56 AM »
Absolutely with you on that! Playing through another 15/20 minutes just to... ARGGGHHHH!

And that, right there, is why Souls-likes do my head in.
Paul
Leicestershire, UK

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• DTF.com Member
« Reply #3484 on: March 14, 2024, 11:29:14 AM »
Anyone play FF7 Rebirth? From what I've read, it's amazing. Seems like people who know the original (i.e., 97% of people :lol) are a little more forgiving of some of the padding and mini games, whereas people who never played the original are like... Why am I playing as Cloud riding a dolphin like it's Wave Race 64? :rollin

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #3485 on: March 14, 2024, 11:31:02 AM »
Absolutely with you on that! Playing through another 15/20 minutes just to... ARGGGHHHH!

And that, right there, is why Souls-likes do my head in.

I beat Dark Souls 1 and was like, "Herrick you are never going to buy another one of these games". Then I buy a bunch of them and never finish them  :huh:

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3486 on: March 14, 2024, 12:56:16 PM »
Fired up my Xbox One for the first time in at least 5 years today.  Did a bunch of updates all morning and now its doing a big update to Halo Masterchief Collection.  I'm going to try to do a co op playthrough starting with halo 1 with my gf.  I bought a HDMI capture USB card to stream it to my laptop to record.  My plan is to record our entire gameplay, with a camera on it, and chop it up to make youtube/tiktok content potentially.  My gf never played and will likely be bad so there's some good opportunity for funny clips, but also the nostalgia of the original games.  We'll see if I can actually get it all to work though  :lol

Offline ganpondorodf

• Calamity
« Reply #3487 on: March 14, 2024, 02:14:38 PM »
Finished my Metroid Prime replay, now just to get all the others knocked off the list before June 21st... but I've also been eyeing up a Witcher 3 replay so we'll see how much self control I have  :mehlin

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3488 on: March 14, 2024, 03:09:17 PM »
Fired up my Xbox One for the first time in at least 5 years today.  Did a bunch of updates all morning and now its doing a big update to Halo Masterchief Collection.  I'm going to try to do a co op playthrough starting with halo 1 with my gf.  I bought a HDMI capture USB card to stream it to my laptop to record.  My plan is to record our entire gameplay, with a camera on it, and chop it up to make youtube/tiktok content potentially.  My gf never played and will likely be bad so there's some good opportunity for funny clips, but also the nostalgia of the original games.  We'll see if I can actually get it all to work though  :lol

Haha! That sounds like a lot of fun!  Let us know if you publish anything...

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• DTF.com Member
« Reply #3489 on: March 18, 2024, 06:51:54 AM »
After 80+ hours, Baldur's Gate 3 is finally in the books. It's such an incredible game, and the sheer number of choices and how they impact the story is almost unbelievable. Plus the combat is fun, the music is great, the characters comprise an all-time cast... If it isn't in my top three games ever, it's close.

I will say that I got a bit frustrated with the final battle. Without spoiling anything, I just feel like there are times when the game doesn't clearly communicate to you what is expected. It's always possible I miss certain things, but it can be overwhelming at times. You're right at the end of the game, it's epic, you're ready for some story payoffs, but at the same time, there's all this tactical combat happening and it keeps changing it up on you. There is A LOT of save reloading in this game, at least for average players, and it's maybe the one thing that irked me at times.

Otherwise, a beautiful masterpiece across the board. :hefdaddy

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3490 on: March 18, 2024, 07:05:37 AM »
I just crossed 80 hours in my bg3 play through and I'm a couple missions out from the final boss. It's been one incredible journey. The game does have some faults but it's definitely top 10 of all time material (for me personally)

Offline TheHoveringSojourn808

• fun committee president, sloth gang initiate, and annie clark lover
  • JLB + MP friendship stan
« Reply #3491 on: March 18, 2024, 01:24:49 PM »
i've started balatro and am already  hooked
harusame ni nuretsutsu yane no temari kana
RIP the Great Ape, 2024.02.01
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline ganpondorodf

• Calamity
« Reply #3492 on: March 18, 2024, 03:40:51 PM »
Finished my Metroid Prime replay, now just to get all the others knocked off the list before June 21st... but I've also been eyeing up a Witcher 3 replay so we'll see how much self control I have  :mehlin

Well I've resisted the temptation of The Witcher - but I have started something else! Return of the Obra Dinn on Switch. Closer to a newspaper puzzle than to any of the other games I'm playing at the moment. I am enjoying it a lot though, just playing it for 45 minutes or so before bed every night, gradually solving the mystery. Good for anyone who enjoys aforementioned newspaper puzzles and the like.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3493 on: March 18, 2024, 06:26:17 PM »
I try not to say this word too often to dilute the meaning, but Return of the Obra Dinn is a masterpiece. I wish I was Leonard Shelby and could play this game over and over again.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Online nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3494 on: March 19, 2024, 03:13:44 AM »

Had it for a couple of weeks and while I think it's fun, I don't think it does enough in terms of progression. I'm a little surprised by its overwhelmingly positive rating on Steam.
Paul
Leicestershire, UK

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #3495 on: March 19, 2024, 06:34:18 AM »
I try not to say this word too often to dilute the meaning, but Return of the Obra Dinn is a masterpiece. I wish I was Leonard Shelby and could play this game over and over again.
Such a great game, a bit too hard for me at times, as I missed many clues along the way, but a very unique title.

Offline TheHoveringSojourn808

• fun committee president, sloth gang initiate, and annie clark lover
  • JLB + MP friendship stan
« Reply #3496 on: March 19, 2024, 06:58:59 AM »

Had it for a couple of weeks and while I think it's fun, I don't think it does enough in terms of progression. I'm a little surprised by its overwhelmingly positive rating on Steam.

i love roguelike deckbuilders and this one feels special because it's so unique. there's no concept of "block cards", there's no map you traverse, etc. totally novel take on the genre, and it's really accessible. within 30 minutes i had totally groked it and was ready for long runs
harusame ni nuretsutsu yane no temari kana
RIP the Great Ape, 2024.02.01
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #3497 on: March 19, 2024, 07:36:32 AM »
Intriguing, I need something new to play so I might look into this. The trailer looks interesting.
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3498 on: March 19, 2024, 08:00:51 AM »
Playing Injustice 2 right now.   I liked not loved Injustice, and the trophy game was whack (relying heavily on online/multiplayer stuff that I'm not into and can't really spam), but this is an improvement all around.  The one drawback is I'm playing it on xBox One and the controller is a little whack so some longer combos are hard to execute, but I get around it.

The artwork and the cutscenes are world class, though. 

Online nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3499 on: March 19, 2024, 12:20:02 PM »

i love roguelike deckbuilders and this one feels special because it's so unique. there's no concept of "block cards", there's no map you traverse, etc. totally novel take on the genre, and it's really accessible. within 30 minutes i had totally groked it and was ready for long runs

"Groked"?! Is my lack of comprehension because I'm British, because I'm old, or a combo of the two? :lol

I like roguelike deckbuilders, too! Slay the Spire, for example, took hours of my bloody life. I dunno, Balatro feels TOO random to me on top of the my feeling of a lack of progression.
Paul
Leicestershire, UK