247 (40.4%)
It's good
198 (32.4%)
It's O.K.
107 (17.5%)
Never Enough
27 (4.4%)

Total Members Voted: 593

Author Topic: Black Clouds & Silver Linings: Reactions  (Read 134863 times)

Offline sonatafanica

• cocksucking maniac
  • DTF.org Member
  • ☠☠☠☠☠☠jesus take the wheel☠☠☠☠☠☠
Re: Black Clouds & Silver Linings: Reactions
« Reply #420 on: June 26, 2009, 10:30:39 PM »
I can't help but love it.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #421 on: June 26, 2009, 10:32:37 PM »
My most common reaction:

"Holy crap, 75 minutes already? I just started listening to the album like 5 minutes ago, though... "
Yeah I'm going to be sticking with this one for a while

Offline briang

« Reply #422 on: June 26, 2009, 11:55:28 PM »
Aside from A Rite of Passage and Wither, which are total throwaway tracks that rank in the bottom of DT's catalogue, I am pleasantly surprised. I'm sure my qualms with the album have already been discussed in this thread previously, so that's all I have to say.
Our job was to select someone to speak for everybody. And I just couldn't in good conscience vote for a person who doesn't believe in God. Someone who honestly thinks the other ninety five percent of us suffer from some form of mass delusion.
-Palmer, Contact

Offline Wrath42147

« Reply #423 on: June 27, 2009, 08:07:41 PM »
I think it might be better than

train of though
octavarium and
Systematic Chaos

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #424 on: June 27, 2009, 08:09:02 PM »
I think it might be better than

train of though
octavarium and
Systematic Chaos

Agreed.  But learn to write young man.
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #425 on: June 27, 2009, 08:11:37 PM »
-D.T- and Dark Master were more awesome.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #426 on: June 27, 2009, 08:16:30 PM »
Dark Master was just annoying.  -D.T- is genuinely funny.
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline Spolt

• DTF's Official Cookie Monster
« Reply #427 on: June 27, 2009, 09:55:24 PM »
Tenement Funster Solo = Badass ?

Offline shadowfex

« Reply #428 on: June 27, 2009, 10:07:08 PM »
Just got the album 2 days ago and i'm loving it so far! A nightmare to remember, the best of times and the count of tuscany have all given me chills.
"Once he had forests and mountains that were only his - listening to him. Once he would run through the summer days catching memories for ages to come. Now he is dressing this naked floor with his flesh and blood, and time passes by. His trade of pain might just have lead him to deal with consequence for some change as time passes by"

Offline The Awesome

« Reply #429 on: June 28, 2009, 10:30:13 PM »
Excellent album. I'm very impressed overall. Can't wait for the next show!

Offline Dittomist

« Reply #430 on: June 29, 2009, 02:11:14 AM »
I am seriously addicted to this album! I've been a huge Dream Theater fan ever since 1992, and I think BC&SL is one of the best three albums they've ever done, along with Scenes from a Memory and Awake.
Here is how I'd rank the songs.
1. The Best of Times- One of the most beautiful songs they have written. I get chills every time I hear it, especially during the first three minutes. 10/10
2. A Nightmare to Remember- It's amazing how after all these years, Dream Theater can take you to completely new places with each album. This doesn't remind me of anything they've done before because it's actually gothic. And I agree with seemingly everyone that the "hopelessly drifting" parts are really emotional and dreamy. What's amazing is how a song this perfect isn't the obvious choice for #1 song on the album-there are 5 other strong contenders.  10/10
3. The Count of Tuscany- I actually think it contains the weakest chorus on the album, but the other parts of the song are magical and perfect, especially the opening 4 minutes and the Tales from Topographic Oceans-esque section at the 11 minute mark. It's the kind of exciting, epic track that makes me so proud to be a DT fan.  10/10
4. A Rite of Passage- I wasn't blown away with the single, but I loved the album version immediately. It has one of DT's catchiest choruses and most enjoyable instrumental sections. This is going to be so awesome live!  10/10
5. Wither- It took about three listens for this one to sink in. At first I thought it was kind of plain and corny, but now I absolutely love it. Usually Dream Theater's softest songs are melancholy and haunting, but this one is quite uplifting.  9/10
6. The Shattered Fortress- It does re-use a lot of old material, but it flows rather well and has some of the heaviest moments on the album, as well as a memorable ending.  9/10

Offline Volk9

• DTF's Representative of the Negro Community
  • Pokeballs got nothin' on this
« Reply #431 on: June 30, 2009, 08:00:12 AM »
I'm just in the floyd section of COT for the 5th time.

album gets better with each listen, definitely like it more than I used to.

did anyone think though, on the shattered fortress, right after the whole ROAE, part, where it's like "Keep all of me..."  that end note they held before going back to GP, was going to turn into the Razor's edge from Octavarium?

I may have to mix that, because it fits perfectly.

Lol, yeah; I got so excited because I thought ocatavarium was going to pop up, lol
DOWNLOAD MY FREE NEW ALBUM!

(For fans of breakbeat, trip hop, acid jazz, etc)

https://abstractinthesky.com/

<br />Yeah, once you graduate high school, you need to listen to Death Metal like an adult.<br />

Offline squishyboots

• I am a photographing pirate boy
  • Adventure that's the life for me!
« Reply #432 on: June 30, 2009, 11:04:37 AM »
I'm just in the floyd section of COT for the 5th time.

album gets better with each listen, definitely like it more than I used to.

did anyone think though, on the shattered fortress, right after the whole ROAE, part, where it's like "Keep all of me..."  that end note they held before going back to GP, was going to turn into the Razor's edge from Octavarium?

I may have to mix that, because it fits perfectly.

Lol, yeah; I got so excited because I thought ocatavarium was going to pop up, lol
Glad I'm not the only one.

Offline Starkweather

« Reply #433 on: August 10, 2009, 11:33:22 AM »
So I picked this up on saturday, after only hearing A Rite of Passage once (the video, which is actually really well done).

It's pretty good. It's really lol worthy though, The Count of Tuscany especially, really horrible lyrics. I don't like The Shattered Fortress that much, kind of a let down, I wasn't expecting anything epic, just something along the lines of any of the other AA tracks would have been fine for me. Anyway, I got the 3 disc edition, the covers are all really good, but I don't like JP's tone for Larks' Tongues. I was always looking for that cover of To Tame a Land, just never gave it much effort, so it's readily available to me now.

The instrumental mixes are just that, the instrumental mixes, I'll give it to some people who don't like James or whatnot.

Out of ten, I give it a 7.

Offline briang

« Reply #434 on: August 10, 2009, 09:32:05 PM »
1. Awake 5/5
2. Train of Thought 5/5
3. Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence 4.5/5
4. Images and Words 4.5/5
5. Scenes From a Memory 4/5
6. Octavarium  3.5/5
7. Black Clouds and Silver Linings 3/5
8. Falling Into Infinity 2/5
9. Systematic Chaos .5/5
Our job was to select someone to speak for everybody. And I just couldn't in good conscience vote for a person who doesn't believe in God. Someone who honestly thinks the other ninety five percent of us suffer from some form of mass delusion.
-Palmer, Contact

Offline Nic35

• Which seat can I take =/ ?
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #435 on: August 10, 2009, 09:34:29 PM »
1. Awake 5/5
2. Train of Thought 5/5
3. Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence 4.5/5
4. Images and Words 4.5/5
5. Scenes From a Memory 4/5
6. Octavarium  3.5/5
7. Black Clouds and Silver Linings 3/5
8. Falling Into Infinity 2/5
9. Systematic Chaos .5/5
How can you give Systematic Chaos a 0.5/5 ?! I mean it is not THAT bad...?
Jesus Christ himself* comes down amidst a choir of 2 billion angels singing Handel's Hallelujah chorus. As KrotchRaut shred randomly on guitars made of dragon bones using picks made from God's kidney stones, Jesus heals a blind woman who promptly gives birth onstage to a creation of pure light.

*Yes, Jesus Christ himself. Nothing less will do.

Offline briang

« Reply #436 on: August 10, 2009, 09:42:43 PM »
I thought it was horrible. Like, I really do consider it to be one of the worst albums I've heard, especially compared to the rest of DT's catalogue. The only partly-salvagable songs are ITPOE Part 1 and Repentance. Part 2 is laughable. The Dark Eternal Night is in the top 5 worst DT songs. I'm not even going to mention Prophets of War. Ministry of Lost Souls is so by the numbers it is excruciating to listen to, and Constant Motion is just plain awful. All in all, that makes for the weakest album in their otherwise great discography.
-Palmer, Contact

Offline SilentFox

« Reply #437 on: August 10, 2009, 09:49:30 PM »
I thought it was horrible. Like, I really do consider it to be one of the worst albums I've heard, especially compared to the rest of DT's catalogue. The only partly-salvagable songs are ITPOE Part 1 and Repentance. Part 2 is laughable. The Dark Eternal Night is in the top 5 worst DT songs. I'm not even going to mention Prophets of War. Ministry of Lost Souls is so by the numbers it is excruciating to listen to, and Constant Motion is just plain awful. All in all, that makes for the weakest album in their otherwise great discography.

I mostly agree with you, in that SC was one of their worst, but keep in mind that even DT's worst songs are incredible compared to most hit songs from highly acclaimed bands.  You have some very good points, but I wouldn't say SC is horrible by any stretch of the imagination.

Offline Nic35

• Which seat can I take =/ ?
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #438 on: August 10, 2009, 09:56:43 PM »
I see what you mean. I understand your hate for TDEN and Constant Motion, which are maybe the most mainstream metal songs they've ever written. But, for me, to say that it is one one the worst album I've heard would be extremely false.
Jesus Christ himself* comes down amidst a choir of 2 billion angels singing Handel's Hallelujah chorus. As KrotchRaut shred randomly on guitars made of dragon bones using picks made from God's kidney stones, Jesus heals a blind woman who promptly gives birth onstage to a creation of pure light.

*Yes, Jesus Christ himself. Nothing less will do.

Offline Chas

« Reply #439 on: August 12, 2009, 02:53:39 PM »
After only being a Dream Theater fan for a few months,i can honestly say they haven't released a bad album imo. Some definitely weaker than others though.

On to Black Clouds,imo it is on a par with Six Degrees as their best album of the 2000s. The Best Of Times is definitely the most beautiful song they've recorded imo. Had a lump in my throat while listening to it,especially during JP's epic guitar solo at the end. The other three epics are great too. Love Nightmare, Shattered Fortress was a great ending to the AA suite and The Count Of Tuscany,even at 19 mins,never got boring. A Rite Of Passage and Wither are great tracks too but are well overshadowed by the 'epics'. Overall another great DT album.

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
  • The Original Unseasoned Fan
« Reply #440 on: August 12, 2009, 03:48:55 PM »
What I dislike about SC is that, to me, it sounds like a collection of lower-end DT songs.

"In the Presence of Enemies" and "The Ministry of Lost Souls" are two lower-end DT epics; "Forsaken" and "Constant Motion" are two lower-end singles; "The Dark Eternal Night" is lower-end 'heavy' DT.

What makes the record their worst is this relentless piling of lower-end DT. I wouldn't call it one of the worst albums I've ever heard - because, to me, such status is reserved for the Nickelbacks of the world - but, when all the tracks bore me, the whole becomes unbearable.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2009, 05:22:59 PM by TheOutlawXanadu »
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #441 on: August 12, 2009, 03:53:57 PM »
I dunno what discussions have been going on in this thread lately but I saw the thread up and around again so I thought I should drop by to say that after nearly a month and a half of BC&SL release IT'S STILL KICKING MY ASS SO HARD.
Yeah.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline Rafael Guerra

• DTF.org member
  • Personal Text.
« Reply #442 on: August 12, 2009, 04:02:01 PM »
I´ve been listening to at least half of Black Clouds´tracks since I got the 3 CD´s Special Edition.
I really liked the songs and initially I didn´t like the COVER songs...it just didn´t feel like DT.
But then I heard them more times and actually thought most of them were really cool...although have a weak conenction to the concept of the album.
Overall, I can say its one of their best albums...to me at least.
Crossing bridges in the sky.

Offline Disappear

• It's hard to beat a person who never gives up.
« Reply #443 on: August 12, 2009, 04:08:52 PM »
SC is an excellent drinking/headphones album. Its guitar work is pretty profound when in a less-than conscious state.
"Not by wrath does one kill but by laughter."

reverendrock

« Reply #444 on: August 12, 2009, 08:08:38 PM »
New to the forums, not new to DT or life, just turned 47 today.  Been listening to DT since they started and prog rock in general since the '70's and I just finished listening to BCSL all the way through (the main disc) in anticipation of Friday's Toronto DT concert.  I have to say that this album ranks in my humble opinion among their best, a stunning tapestry of songs when taken in their fullness and in a single listening.  The best?  Not quite but close. 

Offline Mr. Mackwo

• Original Dt.org follower, now new DT.org member!
Re: Black Clouds and Silver Linings: Reactions
« Reply #445 on: August 14, 2009, 11:31:55 AM »
Somewhere between good and up there with the best of them. I'd call it better than good, but still not up there with IaW/SDOIT/SFAM. But a strong album. I put my short review in the BCASL discussion thread.

Those three are definitely my favorite DT albums!
SO SAY WE ALL!

Offline j

« Reply #446 on: August 14, 2009, 11:36:59 AM »
New to the forums, not new to DT or life, just turned 47 today.  Been listening to DT since they started and prog rock in general since the '70's and I just finished listening to BCSL all the way through (the main disc) in anticipation of Friday's Toronto DT concert.  I have to say that this album ranks in my humble opinion among their best, a stunning tapestry of songs when taken in their fullness and in a single listening.  The best?  Not quite but close. 

Welcome, rev!   :metal

-J

Offline chrisbDTM

• DT.net Member
« Reply #447 on: August 14, 2009, 11:50:43 AM »
i have come to the conclusion that if ANTR ended at 14:14, it would be perfect. for me at least

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #448 on: August 14, 2009, 11:51:59 AM »
i have come to the conclusion that if ANTR ended at 14:14, it would be perfect. for me at least
i have come to the conclusion that if ANTR ended at 16:10, it would be perfect. for me at least

:biggrin:
Where would YOU be without prog?!
I'd be standing somewhere with dignity, respect, and bitches.
When Mike and Mob Unite, featuring the hit A Lawsuit in Lies

Offline EstyMaJ

« Reply #449 on: August 14, 2009, 11:53:35 AM »
Well I always know when I listen to a whole Full length album and at the end I say to myself dam its over already I know It's a pretty dam good album so It's right up there with there best for me!!!! :tup

Offline chrisbDTM

• DT.net Member
« Reply #450 on: August 14, 2009, 11:54:16 AM »
i have come to the conclusion that if ANTR ended at 16:10, it would be perfect. for me at least

well results may vary for some.
 :sadpanda:

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #451 on: August 14, 2009, 11:54:36 AM »

well results may vary for some.
 :sadpanda:
I see what you did there.
Where would YOU be without prog?!
I'd be standing somewhere with dignity, respect, and bitches.
When Mike and Mob Unite, featuring the hit A Lawsuit in Lies

Offline EstyMaJ

« Reply #452 on: August 14, 2009, 12:00:56 PM »

Your 3 years older than me (Been there from the start too) Did you get the special edition if so you must be enjoying the covers I know i am!!!!

Offline Mladen

« Reply #453 on: August 14, 2009, 12:20:38 PM »
I really like this album. Usually on Dream Theater album you have at least two songs that sounded rather similar, but not his time. Every song is different and specific in its own way, which is something I really like. It's progressive but still entertaining, and it still rocks.

A Nightmare to remember is one of my favorites. It took me some time to truly appreciate the solos, and I guess the part with Mike Portnoy on vocals grows on you after a while. His drumming is also great here. Lyrics are simple but honest, and really drag you into the story, especially in the slower part in the middle. 10/10

I consider A Rite of passage to be a good single, but not too clever in some ways. The lyrical theme is rather overused, and the transition from the instrumental section to the third chorus is too simple sudden. Despite these flaws, the chorus is very catchy, and Petrucci's solo is great. 8/10

Wither started to grow on me just recently. There are a couple of recycled melodies here and there (Ministry of lost souls vocal line), but overall it's a really nice ballad. I'm not a huge fan of the lyrics, but I guess they are OK. Fantastic vocal performance by James here. 9.5/10

The Shattered fortress closes the AA suite perfectly. The lyrics are great, especially the last couple of verses. What bothered me is the fact the chorus from Root of all evil kicks in too sudden. I don't think it was really needed, and seems like they added it just for the sake of being there. 9.5/10

The Best of times is a wonderful ballad. The first half is a lot of fun since it's reminiscent of Rush, but the second half almost brought me to tears. Once again, we have simple but honest lyrics. John Myung is great here. 10/10

And, finally, there's the masterpiece - The Count of Tuscany. This episode is flawless from beginning to the end. Even the lyrics excite me every time I hear this song. The chorus is incredibly infectious, and the harmonies are fabulous. My favorite part still has to be the Pink Floyd-ish break in the middle, with Ruddess delivering the goods. The ending is beautiful, too. 10/10

All in all, I would rank this album right after SFAM, I&W and Awake. Closely followed by Systematic chaos...

Overall grade: 9.5/10

Offline Martinman300

« Reply #454 on: August 14, 2009, 01:43:44 PM »
I think this album is great, The only issues i have is the sudden change to the "take all of me" part in the shattered fortress and the over use of those speech samples in a rite of passage.

i think the LOOK IN THE MIRRAGH!! part of the shattered fortress is one of the most awesome things ever. lots of balls and chunk.

and yeah some stupid lyrics but its funny so i'm cool with that.