Author Topic: DT15: A View From The Top Of The World (Timeline for DT15)  (Read 351345 times)

Offline Architeuthis

You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline Glasser

Re: DT15: A View From The Top Of The World (Timeline for DT15)
« Reply #3816 on: September 26, 2021, 07:30:57 AM »
Too much positivity here...

I dunno guys, these 30 seconds each sound more uninspired than the last. I can clearly hear all the old DT songs they stole from

Too much positivity here? Really? No disrespect but that’s a sad choice of words seeing other fans are excited. We are so lucky these guys are still making quality music for us. I hope you give the album a fair chance but that’s up to you.

I think his sarcasm (see: the green font) went over your head. :P :P

Green font is sarcasm? I’m pretty sure he feels what he said. That’s his opinion.

I don’t post all that much, but being here a while, green font has always been used for sarcasm/tongue in cheek, to differentiate from a bit of fun as opposed to a true opinion  :tup

Noted. Well I do hope you enjoy the new album.  :)

Offline TheBarstoolWarrior

• PR permission
« Reply #3817 on: September 26, 2021, 07:33:54 AM »
In all SRSNS - the album I want A View From The Top... to resemble most of all is Octavarium.

Still my favourite album by them - a concept album that's not a concept album...

And still their best 'mega-song'.

Sounds like you  may be disappointed based on what we have heard thus far

Offline BelichickFan

« Reply #3818 on: September 26, 2021, 07:43:23 AM »
https://www.nuclearblast.de/en/products/tontraeger/cd/cd-digi/dream-theater-a-view-from-the-top-of-the-world.html

:metal :metal
I clicked on the songs within the link and there is no sound.  Am I missing something?   ???

Assume you clicked the headphone not the song title?  For me I used Chrome - I generally use a browser named Brave but got no sound with that.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #3819 on: September 26, 2021, 07:53:04 AM »
https://www.nuclearblast.de/en/products/tontraeger/cd/cd-digi/dream-theater-a-view-from-the-top-of-the-world.html

I clicked on the songs within the link and there is no sound.  Am I missing something?   ???

Assume you clicked the headphone not the song title?  For me I used Chrome - I generally use a browser named Brave but got no sound with that.
Yes I clicked on the headphone first and then the song title, neither one worked.
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline rab7

« Reply #3820 on: September 26, 2021, 07:54:25 AM »

I dunno guys, these 30 seconds each sound more uninspired than the last. I can clearly hear all the old DT songs they stole from

Too much positivity here? Really? No disrespect but that’s a sad choice of words seeing other fans are excited. We are so lucky these guys are still making quality music for us. I hope you give the album a fair chance but that’s up to you.

Sorry Glasser, this was 100% sarcasm, even the non green part. I was just following the trend of the last 50+ pages where something new happens (e.g. that guitarist saying it sounded badass and both single releases) and it's met with criticism.

My real opinion: I can truly see the "positive energy" that the band members have been talking about. None of the snippets sound like the Alien at all, and I love it. I loved the Alien too, but 70 minutes of the Alien would get tiresome

Offline Glasser

« Reply #3821 on: September 26, 2021, 07:58:16 AM »

Sorry Glasser, this was 100% sarcasm, even the non green part. I was just following the trend of the last 50+ pages where something new happens (e.g. that guitarist saying it sounded badass and both single releases) and it's met with criticism.

My real opinion: I can truly see the "positive energy" that the band members have been talking about. None of the snippets sound like the Alien at all, and I love it. I loved the Alien too, but 70 minutes of the Alien would get tiresome

Being new here I had no idea, I took it at face value. Sorry my friend, I hope you dig the album  :)

Offline JediKnight1969

• Andrés
« Reply #3822 on: September 26, 2021, 07:58:49 AM »

Yes I clicked on the headphone first and then the song title, neither one worked.

The headphone button works (at least) on firefox
A daily dose of eMpTyV will flush your mind right down the drain...

Offline BelichickFan

« Reply #3823 on: September 26, 2021, 08:00:53 AM »

The headphone button works (at least) on firefox
Yeah, it works for me on Chrome and Firefox but not Brave (which is the fastest browser I have found).  Not sure about others.

Offline LKap13

« Reply #3824 on: September 26, 2021, 08:24:07 AM »
All I can say is Invisible monster sounded like some of dt's worst, and the rest of the snippets quite literally sound like some of dt's BEST. Might have been better just not releasing that second single!

What I'm hearing is some adtoe and sdoit, among other things

Offline jayvee3

« Reply #3825 on: September 26, 2021, 09:04:48 AM »

I think his sarcasm (see: the green font) went over your head. :P :P

Green font is sarcasm? I’m pretty sure he feels what he said. That’s his opinion.

I don’t post all that much, but being here a while, green font has always been used for sarcasm/tongue in cheek, to differentiate from a bit of fun as opposed to a true opinion  :tup

Noted. Well I do hope you enjoy the new album.  :)

Well mate, I’m one that has enjoyed both singles, think the snippets sound stellar and always find something to like with every album, so I think there’s a very strong chance I’ll enjoy the new album immensely  :tup

Offline dparrott

« Reply #3826 on: September 26, 2021, 09:58:37 AM »
Based on those clips and IM, this might be JR's best DT work since SFAM.  Love those keyboard parts.
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #3827 on: September 26, 2021, 10:00:44 AM »
Based on those clips and IM, this might be JR's best DT work since SFAM.  Love those keyboard parts.

Same here. JR saying he used some different patches than his usual fare, really show. For me, JR was getting stale in his sound choices and it made their songs feel a bit samey, in regards to atmosphere.

Invisible Monster is a great example of what I am talking about.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3828 on: September 26, 2021, 10:09:33 AM »
I listened to the clips. One of them had a very strong AWAKE sound.

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #3829 on: September 26, 2021, 10:18:32 AM »

From a listeners point of view, what does "uninspired" even mean? Please define as when I see people say they want the band to be inspired, it always puzzles me what the listener is wanting.

Rik Emmett once said, "inspiration as a source of creativity, is overrated" and he was talking from a musician's point of view.

Online Ben_Jamin

« Reply #3830 on: September 26, 2021, 10:18:42 AM »

Transcending Time made me think of Innocence Faded.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man

Offline rab7

« Reply #3831 on: September 26, 2021, 10:24:30 AM »

From a listeners point of view, what does "uninspired" even mean? Please define as when I see people say they want the band to be inspired, it always puzzles me what the listener is wanting.

Rik Emmett once said, "inspiration as a source of creativity, is overrated" and he was talking from a musician's point of view.

Yeah I have no fucking clue what "uninspired"means. 100% of comments that say that never seem to go in depth. I think it's just a lazy way to say "boring" or "I didn't like it". How can anyone pretend to know what inspired an artist to write a song?

Online Ben_Jamin

« Reply #3832 on: September 26, 2021, 10:25:09 AM »

Inspiration can come from many things. Even a sound of water hitting the river banks can be inspiring. The musicians muse.

Also, an artist can conjure up a better inspiration story as they might feel the real story is, boring.

Uninspired to me means, just going up there and playing whatever without no muse or passion involved with creating the song. Completely opposite of what DT did with AVFTToTW. Their passion is shown by their words and we'll see it being shown to us live, soon.

I do not even know of any musician that has recorded and released an uninspired song. I would think those would not be recorded and may be deemed unworthy by the musician themselves, especially someone like Steven Wilson.

Something has to inspire the musicians to want to spend all that hard work and time creating an album.

Offline Glasser

« Reply #3833 on: September 26, 2021, 10:37:24 AM »

I thought the EXACT same thing!!!! Very cool you did as well! I did say a while back that the album scopes their entire career.  :tup

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3834 on: September 26, 2021, 10:45:17 AM »
But I agree with whoever said that a lot of the album recalls earlier songs. But as long as it's more of a passing resemblance and not lifted verbatim I don't care.

It's their 15th album. Obviously you're going to have some material that sounds similar.

It's when bands try to wholesale emulate an earlier album that it starts to get stale.

And no I don't mean A Dramatic Turn Of Events. Copying a 'form' of a song is not the same.

Offline Glasser

« Reply #3835 on: September 26, 2021, 10:50:45 AM »
But I agree with whoever said that a lot of the album recalls earlier songs. But as long as it's more of a passing resemblance and not lifted verbatim I don't care.

It's their 15th album. Obviously you're going to have some material that sounds similar.

It's when bands try to wholesale emulate an earlier album that it starts to get stale.

And no I don't mean A Dramatic Turn Of Events. Copying a 'form' of a song is not the same.

Passing resemblance. You’re going to love the album.  :biggrin:

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3836 on: September 26, 2021, 10:55:17 AM »
So far it sounds like Distance Over Time 2 which is fine with me.

At worst it might end up as 'oh yeah that album'.

Offline LKap13

« Reply #3837 on: September 26, 2021, 11:05:44 AM »

Disagree on this. Based on snippets sounds far from DOT

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3838 on: September 26, 2021, 11:06:36 AM »

Disagree on this. Based on snippets sounds far from DOT Heaven ? :splodetard: ?

:neverusethis:

Offline LKap13

« Reply #3839 on: September 26, 2021, 11:07:24 AM »
And better than that

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3840 on: September 26, 2021, 11:08:30 AM »
i'll find out in 4 weeks ! Got new Mastodon and new Trivium to look forward to as well :)

Offline LKap13

« Reply #3841 on: September 26, 2021, 11:10:40 AM »
Here's hoping the snippets aren't the literal best parts of the album. Because if they're representative of the rest of the music, this might be my favorite release of theirs in a long long time

Online Ben_Jamin

« Reply #3842 on: September 26, 2021, 11:17:41 AM »

I thought the EXACT same thing!!!! Very cool you did as well! I did say a while back that the album scopes their entire career.  :tup

I can begin to hear it off of the sample. Those samples actually made me more excited for the album than releasing the songs. Which makes me agree with you about your Medley Idea.

Offline AboutToCrash

« Reply #3843 on: September 26, 2021, 11:36:43 AM »
The Answering the Call snippet reminds be a lot of “Perpetual Child” by “Ice Age”- that’s not a bad thing either.. Excited!

Offline Glasser

« Reply #3844 on: September 26, 2021, 11:39:27 AM »

I can begin to hear it off of the sample. Those samples actually made me more excited for the album than releasing the songs. Which makes me agree with you about your Medley Idea.

I’m glad you’re more excited! Definitely gives a broader picture and the correct one.

Offline Glasser

« Reply #3845 on: September 26, 2021, 11:49:24 AM »
i'll find out in 4 weeks ! Got new Mastodon and new Trivium to look forward to as well :)

Oh boy! New Mastodon is a HUGE train wreck piece of crap. Trivium the same. Huge fan of both bands and I’m beyond crushed on these both  :'(
« Last Edit: September 26, 2021, 09:10:10 PM by Glasser »

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #3846 on: September 26, 2021, 12:07:13 PM »
No way :o
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3847 on: September 26, 2021, 12:20:35 PM »
Well thats just your opinion man.

I'll find out when the albums are actually out. . .

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3848 on: September 26, 2021, 12:37:30 PM »
Knowing me i'll ADORE both albums but they'll end up being the albums that everyone goes " oh yeah great band X album sucks tho LOL "..

Offline LKap13

« Reply #3849 on: September 26, 2021, 01:05:03 PM »
Snippets are sickkkk