Author Topic: DT15: A View From The Top Of The World (Timeline for DT15)  (Read 351336 times)

Offline Peter Mc

Re: DT15: A View From The Top Of The World (Timeline for DT15)
« Reply #2660 on: August 03, 2021, 12:52:52 PM »
Another Hell's Kitchen would be nice.

I think there will be no instrumentals…

Yeah, after a JP solo album plus LTE3, I would think JP has done enough instrumentals of late.

Offline darkshade

« Reply #2661 on: August 03, 2021, 03:58:07 PM »
The hype intensifies, from Mike's facebook page (in a comment when asked about cymbal placement):

Wait till you hear the new album. Use good headphones because you know I've put in some "stuff" that has always gone several decibels way too low under the radar in the final mixes. This one... you'll like.

This actually makes me concerned for the production values of the new album, and Mangini-era DT doesn't have the best track record with that.
TA is the only modern album I think has decent production, but even then, you get things like the intro NOMAC track going into the overture, and it's painful how much the low end doesn't hold up (someone here explained it better somewhat recently), and unfortunately it's the band's worst album imo. I don't think DoT's sound quality is as top notch as others claim it is, either. It's just not as bad as DT12's production. It's still mixed too loud and hot.

Offline MarkFitDT

« Reply #2662 on: August 03, 2021, 04:01:40 PM »
Quote from Jason Reeves Richardson on Instagram , who presumably has heard it at JPGU : 'I can personally attest that this whole album is very, very badass'

Offline geeeemo

« Reply #2663 on: August 03, 2021, 04:03:43 PM »
Quote from Jason Reeves Richardson on Instagram , who presumably has heard it at JPGU : 'I can personally attest that this whole album is very, very badass'

:o

Offline Trav86

« Reply #2664 on: August 03, 2021, 04:19:22 PM »
The hype intensifies, from Mike's facebook page (in a comment when asked about cymbal placement):

Wait till you hear the new album. Use good headphones because you know I've put in some "stuff" that has always gone several decibels way too low under the radar in the final mixes. This one... you'll like.

This actually makes me concerned for the production values of the new album, and Mangini-era DT doesn't have the best track record with that.
TA is the only modern album I think has decent production, but even then, you get things like the intro NOMAC track going into the overture, and it's painful how much the low end doesn't hold up (someone here explained it better somewhat recently), and unfortunately it's the band's worst album imo. I don't think DoT's sound quality is as top notch as others claim it is, either. It's just not as bad as DT12's production. It's still mixed too loud and hot.

I think with Andy Sneap mixing, we’ll hear everything worth hearing. Terminal Velocity is the best sounding thing Petrucci has done in over a decade. 
Can't we find the minds
to lead us closer to the heart?

Online pg1067

« Reply #2665 on: August 03, 2021, 05:17:29 PM »

Is he someone who's opinion should matter to anyone?
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2666 on: August 03, 2021, 05:24:59 PM »

I think with Andy Sneap mixing, we’ll hear everything worth hearing. Terminal Velocity is the best sounding thing Petrucci has done in over a decade.

Andy Sneap is by far the most exciting thing about this whole thing for me at the moment.  Should sound incredible and heavy.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • sloth.jpg
« Reply #2667 on: August 03, 2021, 05:25:55 PM »

He's a pretty big name in the guitar world. Especially among younger guitar guitarists. Might get some newer, younger fans interested in the band

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2668 on: August 03, 2021, 05:26:31 PM »

I don't think a guy using the word 'badass' should be given much credibility.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2669 on: August 03, 2021, 05:27:12 PM »

He's a pretty big name in the guitar world. Especially among younger guitar guitarists. Might get some newer, younger fans interested in the band

Never heard of him.  I'll have to Youtube him.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2670 on: August 03, 2021, 05:28:07 PM »

Yeah, it's like "I heard the album and it's wicked awesome!"
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online pg1067

« Reply #2671 on: August 03, 2021, 05:33:04 PM »

I don't have a problem with that.  I just don't know who he is,* but I don't know lots of guys who are fairly well-known, so I figured I'd ask.  Honestly, Alex Lifeson could say its badass, and it wouldn't mean a ton to me because I don't know if his opinions are compatible with mine.

Wikipedia tells me he's a 30-year old guy who, for the past 12 years has done stuff with bands I've never heard of.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Peter Mc

« Reply #2672 on: August 03, 2021, 05:39:41 PM »

I’ve never heard of him but it’s better than someone saying “I’ve heard the album and it sucks”

Offline jayvee3

« Reply #2673 on: August 03, 2021, 05:43:28 PM »

Yea, because these boards always have everything articulated so eloquently and we are all completely above that here…

Offline noxon

• Fan Club Professional
« Reply #2674 on: August 03, 2021, 06:05:29 PM »
Jason was a teacher at all three JPGU camps..

That oughta tell you enough, to be fair...

"Jason is a super-shredder, nearly beyond comprehension. Although being incredibly busy with his solo career and playing in All That Remains, he’s already found the time to join me for my first two camps and is very familiar with how JPGU runs, what to expect, and how everything works. Jason is a great teacher, a big supporter of this type of event and always eager to share his ideas and knowledge. I’m really happy to have him continuing on because he’s just a great guy and a monster of a player."

Offline Dedalus

« Reply #2675 on: August 03, 2021, 06:53:06 PM »

Yea, because these boards always have everything articulated so eloquently and we are all completely above that here…

:rollin

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #2676 on: August 03, 2021, 06:53:20 PM »

:lol No kidding!  We all know that BAD-ARSE is the proper eloquent, sophisticated, and proper way to decribe musical genious straight from the Ge-filter!   

Btw, Jason Richardson also has his signature series EBMM guitar and it is beautiful! 
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #2677 on: August 03, 2021, 07:54:34 PM »
On JP's post about the new album on Instagram, one of the commenters said he was at JPGU and that they got to hear the whole 8 string song, Awaken the Master, and also an intro snippet from The Alien (most likely the first single). 
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Trav86

« Reply #2678 on: August 03, 2021, 08:09:21 PM »
Am I the only one who doesn’t care about the whole 8-string thing?
Can't we find the minds
to lead us closer to the heart?

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2679 on: August 03, 2021, 08:14:50 PM »

Nope. To me, it's like, Oh Mangini has a 17th drum.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2021, 08:21:52 PM by TAC »
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #2680 on: August 03, 2021, 08:16:10 PM »

I do not care either.

I am intrigued on how he will utilize the extra string in his songwriting.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #2681 on: August 03, 2021, 08:20:27 PM »
I'm very much looking forward to hearing JP's approach to the eight string on this album. I have a very good feeling about this..   :corn
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline erciccio

« Reply #2682 on: August 03, 2021, 11:32:34 PM »

Well...I am actually a bit worried...
I barely stand most of 7-strings guitar staff, and the few things I've heard around played on 8 strings are really meh...
I am very happy that in his latest works JP has limited the amount of 7 strings.
I hope I will have a creative approach with the 8-string, and not the usual chugga-chugga riffing
Ora che ho perso la vista,ci vedo di più

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2683 on: August 03, 2021, 11:51:24 PM »

Thank you!  ;D

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2684 on: August 03, 2021, 11:53:42 PM »

I'm intrigued but will hold judgement until I hear it.  I love 7 strings, love playing mine from time to time but I think that's is far as it needs to go.  I haven't heard much 8 string music, but what I have heard hasn't really impressed me at all.  I'm more intrigued on how Petrucci will use it.

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2685 on: August 03, 2021, 11:58:18 PM »

I’ve never heard of him but it’s better than someone saying “I’ve heard the album and it sucks”

Well, he was, of course, never going to say that and bite the hand that feeds him regardless of what he thought of it (and I'm sure he did indeed think it was "bad ass").
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline MarkFitDT

« Reply #2686 on: August 04, 2021, 12:16:38 AM »

Well, he was, of course, never going to say that and bite the hand that feeds him regardless of what he thought of it (and I'm sure he did indeed think it was "bad ass").

He replied to a John Petrucci Instagram post about the new album. He didn't have to do that. If he didn't rate what he had heard he could have just not posted anything but he did so it's definitely not a case of not wanting to bite the hand that feeds him. Nobody asked him what he thought - he decided to post it.
I thought it would be nice to post someone's reaction who has actually heard it forgetting about the level of cynicism on here lol!
« Last Edit: August 04, 2021, 12:24:49 AM by MarkFitDT »

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #2687 on: August 04, 2021, 12:18:55 AM »
I barely stand most of 7-strings guitar staff, and the few things I've heard around played on 8 strings are really meh...
I am very happy that in his latest works JP has limited the amount of 7 strings.
I hope I will have a creative approach with the 8-string, and not the usual chugga-chugga riffing
JP's already said that he'll approach it the same way he did when he got a 7-string: that it expands the range of what he can do. Pretty sure that there will be little to no djenty stuff and that he will use it in a creative way.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline GasparXR

• Why would I put something personal here?
« Reply #2688 on: August 04, 2021, 12:39:51 AM »
JP's already said that he'll approach it the same way he did when he got a 7-string: that it expands the range of what he can do. Pretty sure that there will be little to no djenty stuff and that he will use it in a creative way.

I'm confident JP could pull off having a light spice of the djent sound while still using the 8-string creatively. There's been a small smattering of riffs from the last few albums that sound like they could have been influenced by djent in a small way.

Offline TM172003

« Reply #2689 on: August 04, 2021, 03:08:07 AM »

He’s been a huge DT fan since he was a kid, so he’s not just some guy who heard it and thought it was good, he knows what a good DT album sounds like.

That and the fact that he’s heard the new album and you haven’t, so you might as well take his opinion anyway.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2690 on: August 04, 2021, 05:29:50 AM »
The real question is, "What kind of a deluxe collector's edition will they be releasing and how long after the general release will we actually get it?"  :censored

I want a nice gatefold Digipak with a 90 minute in the studio DVD.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2691 on: August 04, 2021, 06:05:07 AM »

He’s been a huge DT fan since he was a kid, so he’s not just some guy who heard it and thought it was good, he knows what a good DT album sounds like.

That and the fact that he’s heard the new album and you haven’t, so you might as well take his opinion anyway.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=FGrD9gfJLZ0

He's a monster player. Funny enough I met him and Petrucci at the same time at a NAMM event a few years ago.
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline WilliamMunny

• Generation Mixtape
« Reply #2692 on: August 04, 2021, 07:26:59 AM »
The real question is, "What kind of a deluxe collector's edition will they be releasing and how long after the general release will we actually get it?"  :censored

I want a nice gatefold Digipak with a 90 minute in the studio DVD.

I'll second this! Love the 'in the studio' doc that came with Systematic Chaos

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #2693 on: August 04, 2021, 07:39:40 AM »

Nope. To me, it's like, Oh Mangini has a 17th drum.

I'm with you both.  Couldn't care less.  Well, actually, I could care less because most of the 7- and 8- string work I've heard is not my bag.   Six strings were enough for Ritchie Blackmore, Michael Schenker and Randy Rhoads, so more strings isn't better in my book.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #2694 on: August 04, 2021, 07:43:18 AM »

Nope.  I like what I like and what I like isn't related to what others like in any way, shape or form.    TAC and I have this discussion all the time; we have a LOT of bands in common that we adore, and yet my "favorite" song lists are invariably very close to his "least favorite" song lists.   

If we listened to what others said and liked, we'd be at the Justin Beiber Forum, not the Dream Theater Forum.   No offense to him, he's probably an AMAZING player, but I'm glad he likes it, but that's as far as it goes.  Mike Portnoy is top four favorite drummers of all time and probably top five favorite musicians of all time, and yet he rates "OK Computer" as one of his ten best records ever, and to me it's a steaming pile of unlistenable horse feces (and I'm being kind).