Author Topic: DT15: A View From The Top Of The World (Timeline for DT15)  (Read 351291 times)

Offline Skeever

Re: DT15: A View From The Top Of The World (Timeline for DT15)
« Reply #2415 on: July 29, 2021, 07:09:08 AM »
1.) I like the artwork
2.) I can't wait to see the band in Philly

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #2416 on: July 29, 2021, 07:16:56 AM »
After seeing the song titles, I'm wondering which song JP is using his eight string guitar?  My first guess would be Invisible Monster.   I could be completely wrong though.    :justjen
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2417 on: July 29, 2021, 07:34:06 AM »
After seeing the song titles, I'm wondering which song JP is using his eight string guitar?  My first guess would be Invisible Monster.   I could be completely wrong though.    :justjen

Yeah, that's my thought as well.
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline LordJordan

« Reply #2418 on: July 29, 2021, 07:45:10 AM »
From Instagram:

"Step after step, we try controlling our fate. When we finally start living it has become too late."

Former ItalianVoices member (I see you others)

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2419 on: July 29, 2021, 07:48:37 AM »
Just watch them drop the 20 min title track as the single :lol
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline geeeemo

« Reply #2420 on: July 29, 2021, 07:57:24 AM »
The spider has me curious. It pops up a lot. The boot, the portrait of the band, the art with the ball, with the sundial. Surprised it isn't in the scary room with the boy..but there is enough scary in there already. ...I was expanding the pictures and the scary face under the bed is Scary..looking! :omg:

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #2421 on: July 29, 2021, 07:58:54 AM »
The spider has me curious. It pops up a lot. The boot, the portrait of the band, the art with the ball, with the sundial. Surprised it isn't in the scary room with the boy..but there is enough scary in there already. ...I was expanding the pictures and the scary face under the bed is Scary..looking! :omg:

Yeah, I wonder if it has a deeper connection to a song or a recurring theme, or maybe there was just a discount on spider stock images and Hugh Syme had some to use since he was at it.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Trav86

« Reply #2422 on: July 29, 2021, 08:00:27 AM »
Am I missing the spider on the boot everyone keeps talking about?? I don’t see it.
Can't we find the minds
to lead us closer to the heart?

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2423 on: July 29, 2021, 08:02:39 AM »
Am I missing the spider on the boot everyone keeps talking about?? I don’t see it.

It's on this pic.

https://dreamtheater.net/wp-content/uploads/2021/07/DT-2021-background1.jpg
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline vtgrad

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2424 on: July 29, 2021, 08:18:13 AM »
A huge rendering of the spider needs to hang over the crowd ala Tommy Lee's drum-kit... bonus points if it rotates and the legs move.  If they don't do it, it's just a missed opportunity.

« Last Edit: July 29, 2021, 09:17:29 AM by vtgrad »
"Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter; Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man."  Ecclesiastes 12:13

Now with Twitler taking a high end steak of this caliber and insulting the cow that died for it by having it well done just shows zero respect for the product, which falls right in line with the amount of respect he shows for pretty much everything else.- Lonestar

Offline geeeemo

« Reply #2425 on: July 29, 2021, 08:39:59 AM »
I don't do paint. But the spider needs to appear on the mic stand.

Offline Raise the Drum

• ::::::::::|...|::::::::::
  • Ñ
« Reply #2426 on: July 29, 2021, 08:57:28 AM »
i think the spider is a allusive to the 8 string guitar

Offline NoFred

« Reply #2427 on: July 29, 2021, 09:43:45 AM »
A huge rendering of the spider needs to hang over the crowd ala Tommy Lee's drum-kit... bonus points if it rotates and the legs move.  If they don't do it, it's just a missed opportunity.

MM should appear in a spider costume for the entire show

Online the_silent_man

« Reply #2428 on: July 29, 2021, 09:50:33 AM »
This is an interesting idea. Perhaps theres some truth in it!

Offline Plasmastrike

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2429 on: July 29, 2021, 09:54:46 AM »
Haven't posted in forever, but I've been following!!

New album and theme look amazing. Love the song titles and track lengths. Also, just scored 2 third row tickets this morning... sooo excited. Not sure if this has been mentioned yet, but is anyone else getting concept album vibes from the tracklisting..?

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #2430 on: July 29, 2021, 10:09:23 AM »

I'm pretty sure the U2 stage on the 3600 tour was called "the spider" and the last Kiss show was too, I believe.   It'd be cool if DT did that even if on a smaller scale.

Offline krands85

« Reply #2431 on: July 29, 2021, 10:11:50 AM »

Yeah, I wonder if it has a deeper connection to a song or a recurring theme, or maybe there was just a discount on spider stock images and Hugh Syme had some to use since he was at it.
:lol
Whoaaaahh, ohhh, ohhhhh. Whoaaaahh, ohhhhh, ohhhhhh. Waaah, ahhh, haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaowwwwww

Offline Trav86

« Reply #2432 on: July 29, 2021, 10:18:58 AM »

It's on this pic.

https://dreamtheater.net/wp-content/uploads/2021/07/DT-2021-background1.jpg

Ah, thank you!
Can't we find the minds
to lead us closer to the heart?

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2433 on: July 29, 2021, 11:10:02 AM »

I've never seen anyone mix uppercase and lowercase in abbreviations before. To me, abbreviations just look better when they're all caps, especially when they're abbreviating a title, which typically uses all caps for first letters of every word anyway. . .

Actually, title case (according to the major style guides), capitalizes first letters, except minor words such as articles or short prepositions, etc. unless they are the first or last word of the title.  The forthcoming album should be "A View from the Top of the World" according to title case conventions.   

Offline wideworldofmike

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2434 on: July 29, 2021, 11:29:48 AM »
This is an interesting idea. Perhaps theres some truth in it!
Doesn’t Jordan also play/have a signature 8 string? Would be insane to see him playing guitar w JP. Also will be interested to see how John approaches 8 compared to Tosin Abasi and then also other more typical djenty bands. Excited to say the least!

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2435 on: July 29, 2021, 11:41:19 AM »
Doesn’t Jordan also play/have a signature 8 string? Would be insane to see him playing guitar w JP.
That will never, ever happen.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2436 on: July 29, 2021, 11:56:53 AM »
Doesn’t Jordan also play/have a signature 8 string? Would be insane to see him playing guitar w JP.

I asked Jordan during a meet and greet for in 2019 about his 8 string, and he said something along the lines of not playing it anymore because it hurts/bothers his left arm, and he doesn't want to risk damaging something and not being able to play keyboard.

I saw him playing it earlier that year (NAMM 2019) and he did some simple rhythm and lead stuff. I think for experimenting it would be fine, but nothing to put out on a DT record.

Offline darkshade

« Reply #2437 on: July 29, 2021, 12:13:45 PM »
Didn't they already do the spider thing on Systematic Chaos? Does this mean their new album is Systematic Chaos 2.0,? Like ADTOE was kind of IaW 2.0?

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #2438 on: July 29, 2021, 12:24:33 PM »
Didn't they already do the spider thing on Systematic Chaos? Does this mean their new album is Systematic Chaos 2.0,? Like ADTOE was kind of IaW 2.0?

Ants

Offline wideworldofmike

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2439 on: July 29, 2021, 12:27:15 PM »

I asked Jordan during a meet and greet for in 2019 about his 8 string, and he said something along the lines of not playing it anymore because it hurts/bothers his left arm, and he doesn't want to risk damaging something and not being able to play keyboard.

I saw him playing it earlier that year (NAMM 2019) and he did some simple rhythm and lead stuff. I think for experimenting it would be fine, but nothing to put out on a DT record.

Super bummer, his slide guitar on Octavarium is classic!

Offline darkshade

« Reply #2440 on: July 29, 2021, 12:55:42 PM »

Ants

of course, duh

Still, though, with the insects. Let's give other creatures some attention.

Offline Dedalus

« Reply #2441 on: July 29, 2021, 01:00:38 PM »
Spiders are not insects.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #2442 on: July 29, 2021, 01:01:00 PM »

Ants

of course, duh

Right, like birds! There are lots of birds in the artwork shown on the website, presumably for the booklet. We've *never* seen birds on DT artwork before!

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline darkshade

« Reply #2443 on: July 29, 2021, 01:04:49 PM »

Ants

of course, duh

Right, like birds! There are lots of birds in the artwork shown on the website, presumably for the booklet. We've *never* seen birds on DT artwork before!

-Marc.

I want to see some penguins and kinkajous on DT's album covers!

Offline pg1067

« Reply #2444 on: July 29, 2021, 01:20:18 PM »
DT16:  Headless Penguins!!!
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline RaiseTheKnife

« Reply #2445 on: July 29, 2021, 01:37:49 PM »
Anticipate that the DTF website will be upgrading its skins soon.  Looking forward to seeing the new artwork here.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2446 on: July 29, 2021, 01:44:56 PM »

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #2447 on: July 29, 2021, 01:49:05 PM »
I've never seen anyone mix uppercase and lowercase in abbreviations before. To me, abbreviations just look better when they're all caps, especially when they're abbreviating a title, which typically uses all caps for first letters of every word anyway. . .

Actually, title case (according to the major style guides), capitalizes first letters, except minor words such as articles or short prepositions, etc. unless they are the first or last word of the title.  The forthcoming album should be "A View from the Top of the World" according to title case conventions.   

That may be the proper to do it, if you're writing a college paper, but most bands and companies/labels/promoters will capitalize every word in an album title. I went back and looked at most of the posts on the DT FB page, and even some on Inside Out, and I think the majority of them had typed it out as "A View From The Top Of The World" rather than "A View from the Top of the World", which I think I maybe saw once among a couple dozen different posts. Then again, a few of them typed it out in ALL caps as "A VIEW FROM THE TOP OF THE WORLD" but I think that was just to be eye-catching and noticed.

But going back to abbreviations, we could just abbreviate all the words that aren't articles and prepositions and go with VTW, or if you want to throw in the A, make it AVTW. I'm fine with VTW, it's easy to type on a keyboard with all three keys being under the left hand. Maybe I should start a poll here...

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #2448 on: July 29, 2021, 02:06:59 PM »
I always capitalize every single word in a title because I can't be trusted with consistency otherwise.
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline Kyo

• Myung at Heart
« Reply #2449 on: July 29, 2021, 02:15:22 PM »

Thank you! The sadly popular "consistent capitalization" approach is only consistent in its wrongness. And it's even worse when applied to just about any other language that isn't English.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2021, 02:28:05 PM by Kyo »
"Freedom in the 21st Century means being incommunicado."