Author Topic: Star Wars Discussion Thread v. Rogue One  (Read 457973 times)

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
Re: All Star Wars Discussion Thread
« Reply #3010 on: September 25, 2015, 11:27:59 AM »
First, a big happy birthday to Mr. Hammil!! That dude rocks.

Next, I'm sure it could just as easily go in the Video Game thread but I'm going to put it here because I want to say how awesome the story is instead of focusing on the video game aspects: KOTR is a fucking awesome game and I'm just now getting into them and I'm not sure why it took me this long. But holy hell. I mean, it's a great video game itself and the RPG leveling, weapons and armor system, and the Action/RPG combat is great, but it really feels like a great Star Wars story told with the player molding their own story the way they want to. Especially considering when it came out and how amazing all of the possibilities of choices and such were at the time. I am not a big Star Wars fan by any means; I really like the universe it set up and I'm a stickler for sci/fi, but the fandom pretty much ends there.

However, this game really pulled me in to the world and it made me appreciate and enjoy all the little details of the universe a lot more than any movie has thus far. All the races, the dialects, the different planets and such...really great game that just so happens to portray the universe much better than any of the prequels did, in my eyes anyway. I'm not someone who is a big enough fan that I just love shitting all over Lucas, the prequels and all that...truthfully, I don't give enough of a shit to do that; but this game did kind of put a spotlight on that for me and made me realize that even if they don't rape my entire mind like they do some people apparently, they are done in a very, very different fashion and the details aren't as meticulously explored.

That's all, I just wanted to say that any fan of video games and Star Wars should really check it out if you like RPG games (I'd call it Action/RPG, but I still think it's more classic than full-on Action/RPG).

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #3011 on: September 25, 2015, 12:38:38 PM »
KOTOR=one of the best games ever. Would love Bioware to make another.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #3012 on: September 25, 2015, 01:24:47 PM »
Tio, really glad you posted that because I'm also playing KOTOR for the first time and was wondering whether I should post here or in the VG thread. :lol

Have to say, I basically hate the gameplay mechanics. I'm playing it on PC and even just moving around is not intuitive at all, and the combat system is very awkward compared to, well, most games. But I can tolerate it now I've got used to it, and I agree that the story is nicely told and the RPG elements are rather excellent.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #3013 on: September 25, 2015, 01:37:12 PM »
I'm currently making my way through KotOR as well. But I'm just not a gamer, something I am reminded of every time I start the game up. I just don't enjoy gaming enough to get through it. The story is interesting enough, but all the things I have to do to get through it just annoys me. I got it because I'm interesting in Star Wars in general, and wanted to know the story (and maybe a little because my long time crush recommended it to me), but I don't think I'll get through this game.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3014 on: September 25, 2015, 02:04:23 PM »
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Calvin6s

« Reply #3015 on: September 25, 2015, 02:25:22 PM »
a
« Last Edit: May 02, 2016, 08:06:47 PM by Calvin6s »

Calvin6s

« Reply #3016 on: September 25, 2015, 02:29:04 PM »
a
« Last Edit: May 02, 2016, 08:06:58 PM by Calvin6s »

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #3017 on: September 25, 2015, 03:05:42 PM »
Yeah you've definitely got to be a pretty hardcore RPG gamer to not be annoyed by the little idiosyncrasies of the system. I can relate to the mechanics annoyances though, Ariich; but I expected it given its age as well as the type of game that it is. Like you guys said though, it's the world and the story that really propel me to keep playing; it's certainly not the most 'fun' (mechanics-wise) game to play but if you're into the story, it's a real treat.

Next, I'm sure it could just as easily go in the Video Game thread but
You sound like me organizing my HDD storage.  Most things have general master folders like movies, tv, music, audiobook, books, sheet music, etc, etc.

Star Wars is the only specific *brand* master folder.

Same  :lol Except I don't have a SW folder. But I've got umbrella folders for my anime, games and such. I definitely have a folder called DRAGONBALLZ.

RIP DTP.

Offline Onno

• Well, it's just entertainment, folks!
« Reply #3018 on: September 25, 2015, 04:27:15 PM »
The KoTOR games are very good indeed. Regarding the second one: a lot of content was left out/unfinished there, so here's a good mod to restore all that which allows you to play the games as it was meant to be.

Offline Sub Luna Vitrea

• literally Emma Goldman
  • go team
« Reply #3019 on: September 25, 2015, 04:36:01 PM »
Next, I'm sure it could just as easily go in the Video Game thread but
You sound like me organizing my HDD storage.  Most things have general master folders like movies, tv, music, audiobook, books, sheet music, etc, etc.

Star Wars is the only specific *brand* master folder.

somewhat related: today i re-organized my (programming) projects directory so that c had its own subdirectory, java had its own subdirectory, rust had its own subdirectory, python had its own subdirectory, javascript had its own subdirectory, etc... this does not make anything easier to find, and everything is now an extra directory away, but at least everything is in its proper place now.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3020 on: September 25, 2015, 07:09:41 PM »
I don't like RPGs much at all, and KotOR is one of my all time favorite games! I never did beat the final boss though. And I still need to play through it on the dark side.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #3021 on: September 25, 2015, 07:16:37 PM »
That's what great about it is that it's a really perfect blend of half action and half RPG. I probably see more of the RPG elements given that's the main games that I play, but it's definitely not the traditional kind.

Funny enough, I just bought it for iOS and I am loving it so much more than PC.  :rollin I really like the touch controls and on my 6plus, the whole 'tiny screen' issue disappears. Plus I've hardly been home recently so it's really great having it on the go. It's a load of fun and one of the best ports I've seen graphics and control wise. Good stuff. This game may just turn me onto Star Wars, I'm getting hyped for the new one from playing this. Hopefully it turns out good. I'm not expecting anything as in depth in terms of how they explore the universe in the game obviously, but I'm hoping that it's more expansive than the prequels...I mean, shit...it better be.  :lol

RIP DTP.

Calvin6s

« Reply #3022 on: September 25, 2015, 07:53:07 PM »
a
« Last Edit: May 02, 2016, 08:07:13 PM by Calvin6s »

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #3023 on: September 25, 2015, 08:21:28 PM »
SUCH a motherfucker, that droid.  :lol

RIP DTP.

Calvin6s

« Reply #3024 on: September 25, 2015, 08:32:50 PM »
a
« Last Edit: May 02, 2016, 08:07:21 PM by Calvin6s »

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #3025 on: September 26, 2015, 04:03:18 AM »
Yeah you've definitely got to be a pretty hardcore RPG gamer to not be annoyed by the little idiosyncrasies of the system. I can relate to the mechanics annoyances though, Ariich; but I expected it given its age as well as the type of game that it is. Like you guys said though, it's the world and the story that really propel me to keep playing; it's certainly not the most 'fun' (mechanics-wise) game to play but if you're into the story, it's a real treat.
For sure, that's why I was interested in playing the game and that's why I'm liking it. I don't think I expected the mechanics to be quite so rubbish, but as I said I've got used to them and so I can tolerate them and focus on the important stuff.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Sub Luna Vitrea

• literally Emma Goldman
  • go team
« Reply #3026 on: September 26, 2015, 06:45:25 AM »
i loved KOTOR so much.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3027 on: September 26, 2015, 11:07:02 AM »
i loved KOTOR so much.

:emo: Me too. me too.

... Oh wait you said Kotor. not Kotow.

:emo:

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3028 on: October 04, 2015, 06:52:45 PM »
I don't like RPGs much at all, and KotOR is one of my all time favorite games! I never did beat the final boss though. And I still need to play through it on the dark side.

Ok so I booted this bad boy up and still had my saved game from years ago. I don't know why, but everything I read online about beating Malak wouldn't work for me. It was a painful battle with lots of saves, but I finally beat him. Longest start-to-finish gameplay in my life. Now I will start a Dark Side mission.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #3029 on: October 04, 2015, 07:42:48 PM »
I never beat Malak  :'(

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #3030 on: October 10, 2015, 06:16:29 AM »
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3031 on: October 10, 2015, 08:31:00 AM »
lol
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #3032 on: October 12, 2015, 03:27:05 AM »
I've been interested in checking out Rebels before SW7 comes out, is it true there's a movie, then 13 episodes (S1) and then another movie?

Offline Onno

« Reply #3033 on: October 12, 2015, 07:42:44 AM »
Sort of, the movies are basically 2-3 episodes tied together. SW Rebels is definitely worth watching!

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #3034 on: October 12, 2015, 12:05:08 PM »
How is The Clone Wars? Is that worth watching? Rebels is pretty good. Looking forward to the new season!

Calvin6s

« Reply #3035 on: October 12, 2015, 12:33:29 PM »
a
« Last Edit: May 02, 2016, 08:07:34 PM by Calvin6s »

Offline Onno

« Reply #3036 on: October 12, 2015, 01:45:36 PM »
How is The Clone Wars? Is that worth watching? Rebels is pretty good. Looking forward to the new season!

This is my view of TCW, from a few pages ago:

Something else: I've been watching the Clone Wars animated series for a few weeks now. Aside from a few filler episodes (mostly in seasons 1 and 2), I think this series is really good. It has more character development than the prequel trilogy combined, has good voice acting, and a few key story elements of the SW Saga are elaborated upon, such as Anakin's fall to the Dark Side, his relationship with Padmé and the reasons and politics behind the Clone Wars. I haven't watched all the episodes; instead I use this guide and the individual episode ratings on IMDb to determine which episodes I'll skip; if the rating is too low for my taste, the synopsis doesn't sound interesting and the episode is not on the aforementioned list, I skip the episode.

Of course the show was made for children, and that's easy to notice sometimes. But it's not really a kids version of Star Wars per se. The stories tend to be pretty good, and as I said, make up for a lot of seemingly illogical stuff in the prequels IMO. I'd recommend it to every SW fan. It may not be everyone's cup of tea but personally, I love it.

I have now finished watching the whole series and I'm working my way through the released story reels on the SW website. It's really amazing. I watched every single episode starting from season 4. As stated above, for the first 3 seasons I used the guide and IMDb.

Offline T-ski

« Reply #3037 on: October 14, 2015, 02:03:32 PM »
new trailer October 19th.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3038 on: October 14, 2015, 02:08:47 PM »
new trailer October 19th.

Any other info ?

Offline T-ski

« Reply #3039 on: October 14, 2015, 02:12:17 PM »
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #3040 on: October 14, 2015, 02:24:00 PM »
Noice!

RIP DTP.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #3041 on: October 14, 2015, 08:47:36 PM »
New LOGO??   :\
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3042 on: October 15, 2015, 08:48:56 AM »
New LOGO??   :\
Maybe more in keeping with the logos of the OT (showing the episode number)?

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3043 on: October 15, 2015, 09:06:27 AM »
STAR WARS
EPISODE 7
THE FORCE AWAKENS

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting