Author Topic: Star Wars Discussion Thread v. Rogue One  (Read 456937 times)

Calvin6s

Re: All Star Wars Discussion Thread
« Reply #2730 on: April 19, 2015, 02:51:07 PM »
a
« Last Edit: May 02, 2016, 07:58:32 PM by Calvin6s »

Offline Accelerando

• Disciple of Mark Tremonti
« Reply #2731 on: April 19, 2015, 04:37:37 PM »
Even though it's not confirmed, I have an idea that Adam Driver is playing Kylo Ren....do ya'll think Lupita Nyong'o is this badass Captain Phasma stormtrooper?

Offline YtseCullen

• DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident Jedi.
« Reply #2732 on: April 19, 2015, 05:20:26 PM »
99% percent sure Driver is Kylo Ren. I believe its been heavily rumoured that Gwendoline Christie is playing Captain Phasma, whereas Lupita Nyong'o is playing a motion capture character. I think her character was actually seen in the new trailer as she hands of Anakin / Lukes lightsaber to either Rey or Leia.
May The Force Be With You.

Offline Accelerando

• Disciple of Mark Tremonti
« Reply #2733 on: April 19, 2015, 06:14:05 PM »
Oh shit I had forgotten that she was in the movie! I approve if she is Captain Phasma!

Offline Mister Gold

• The Makers of Our Own Destiny
  • Human
« Reply #2734 on: April 19, 2015, 06:18:46 PM »
Even though it's not confirmed, I have an idea that Adam Driver is playing Kylo Ren....do ya'll think Lupita Nyong'o is this badass Captain Phasma stormtrooper?

Lupita is playing a small orange alien that is currently codenamed "Rose." You can briefly see her in the new trailer, handing the lightsaber to Leia.

No, I'm not making this up.
Beyond the limits of the mortal frame
To the farthest boundary of eternity
Where I, the Cosmic Sea
Watch the little ego floating in me.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #2735 on: April 20, 2015, 08:45:21 AM »
First Audience Reaction Audio

I don't know it just feels warm hearing people getting excited about something. When you think about how incredibly popular the early movies still are and the fact that we haven't seen Harrison Ford in a Star Wars movie for over 30 years and probably never expected it to either makes it all even more warming and of course he's not the only returning character so for a medium fan as myself (meaning I love the movies but i'm not well-versed in the lore and everything that comes being a "real" fan) it's really awesome to see but for a proper Star Wars fan it must be complete heaven at the moment.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2736 on: April 20, 2015, 08:51:53 AM »
I just want the Plinkett review ;D

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #2737 on: April 20, 2015, 11:16:49 AM »
Potentially interesting story about how Mark Hamill felt "forced" (ha!) into being in Star Wars VII.  I found it on Yahoo! Finance, which struck me as odd at first, then I realized how appropriate it is, since Star Wars is all about the money.

DA LINK

Calvin6s

« Reply #2738 on: April 20, 2015, 12:14:46 PM »
a
« Last Edit: May 02, 2016, 07:58:54 PM by Calvin6s »

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #2739 on: April 20, 2015, 12:25:45 PM »
Throughout most of my youth, the word was that there would be nine episodes, of which IV through VI were the "middle" trilogy.  This was not the original line.  Star Wars was originally a standalone flick.  There was eventually a trilogy, but just to fuck with us, Lucas decided that they were episodes IV through VI.  The subtitle "A New Hope" suggested that things were turning around, and this fit in with the idea that it was all part of a much larger story.  By the early 80's, it was common knowledge that there would ultimately be nine movies.  That's what Lucas had said.  Then after he finally made the prequel trilogy, he changed his tune and said that that was it.  He even implied that that's how it's always been, despite the fact that many people remember hearing that there would eventually be nine, not just six.

So... with Star Wars, what people have "always" said and/or "always" believed depends on when you asked them.  The story and overall vision has changed at least twice.

Calvin6s

« Reply #2740 on: April 20, 2015, 01:53:14 PM »
a
« Last Edit: May 02, 2016, 07:59:09 PM by Calvin6s »

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2741 on: April 20, 2015, 02:28:20 PM »
So... with Star Wars, what people have "always" said and/or "always" believed depends on when you asked them.  The story and overall vision has changed at least twice.
I am firmly of the opinion that in between the time that he originally wrote the story, and the time he started writing Phantom Menace, Lucas was just making it up as he went along, and there was never an overarching vision at all.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2742 on: April 20, 2015, 02:56:29 PM »
I am firmly of the opinion that in between the time that he originally wrote the story, and the time he started writing Phantom Menace, Lucas was just making it up as he went along, and there was never an overarching vision at all.

I disagree.  Lucas' official hashtag since the '70s has always been #ItsAllConnected.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #2743 on: April 20, 2015, 02:58:20 PM »
Well, he can say it's all connected and still have no idea how it all connects.

I think Lucas saw how "A New Hope" could easily be part of a larger story, something about how Luke, the son of a famous and powerful Jedi, ends up becoming the new hope for the future, but had no idea how it would all work.  He had to figure that part out later.

The problem is that what he came up with was so much weaker than what a lot of other people had imagined in the meantime.  I think that that's at least partly due to the fact that there are some serious Star Wars maniacs out there, some of whom are pretty imaginative guys, and Lucas probably spent maybe a few hours coming up with the story.  Those other guys had 20 years.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #2744 on: April 20, 2015, 03:35:43 PM »
From what I remember, over 60% of what he wrote for the prequels when into Episode III and he changed quite a bit that he originally mapped out.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Sub Luna Vitrea

• literally Emma Goldman
  • go team
« Reply #2745 on: April 20, 2015, 03:37:37 PM »
i'm extremely excited for this

Calvin6s

« Reply #2746 on: April 20, 2015, 05:36:42 PM »
a
« Last Edit: May 02, 2016, 07:59:33 PM by Calvin6s »

Online orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2747 on: April 20, 2015, 06:08:46 PM »
Bringing in outside writers who knew what they were doing with sci-fi probably saved the original trilogy.

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #2748 on: April 20, 2015, 06:30:33 PM »
I always figured Lucas wasn't lying about the intention to make this large overarching story, but he never actually wrote anything for the prequels/7-9. He probably just had a few ideas here and there but nothing solid.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Calvin6s

« Reply #2749 on: April 20, 2015, 07:27:19 PM »
a
« Last Edit: May 02, 2016, 07:59:43 PM by Calvin6s »

Offline Sub Luna Vitrea

• literally Emma Goldman
  • go team
« Reply #2750 on: April 21, 2015, 04:19:49 AM »
The original Star Wars scripts used to circulate on the Internet; they've probably since been taken down. Anyway there was a lot written that took place before the events of A New Hope, but none of it made it into the prequels. A lot was written that took place after A New Hope, too, and none of it made it into The Empire Strikes Back or Return of the Jedi. I doubt any of it will end up in the new sequels either, because by now it's probably logically inconsistent and- aside from all that- it was really pretty boring; whatever ends up actually being in the sequels will probably be much better.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #2751 on: April 21, 2015, 07:19:09 PM »
I still don't think the prequels were all that bad. Consider the scenario where the original trilogy did not even exist. Episode I would have easily achieved a strong fan base and Star Wars would still be a big deal.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2752 on: April 21, 2015, 07:42:04 PM »
I completely disagree. The only reason the movies were as successful as they were was that they had the Star Wars label. Otherwise they would've been easily forgotten like many other mostly CGI action/adventure movies nowadays.

Offline eric42434224

• Wilson
« Reply #2753 on: April 21, 2015, 08:04:58 PM »
Bringing in outside writers who knew what they were doing with sci-fi probably saved the original trilogy.

It could have also destroyed it.  Ever read Alan Dean Foster's Splinter of the Mind's Eye?  It was originally considered as a possible sequel to A New Hope.  The book is just awful.  I mean make sure you don't have a razor blade or some rope near you when you read it awful.

I would give it a bit more slack.  From what I understand, the writer was given certain parameters that drastically limited the story.  I heard it was commissioned by Lucas to create an extremely low budget, and very low special effects sequel it Star Wars performed poorly at the box office.
Oh shit, you're right!

rumborak

Rumborak to me 10/29

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #2754 on: April 21, 2015, 10:10:02 PM »
I completely disagree. The only reason the movies were as successful as they were was that they had the Star Wars label. Otherwise they would've been easily forgotten like many other mostly CGI action/adventure movies nowadays.

I agree. Episode I is almost unwatchable, and Ep II is literally laughable with how comically bad it is. Those movies would be a footnote if not for the Star Wars name being attached to them.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Calvin6s

« Reply #2755 on: April 21, 2015, 10:40:47 PM »
a
« Last Edit: May 02, 2016, 08:00:17 PM by Calvin6s »

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2756 on: April 21, 2015, 11:06:17 PM »

I agree. Episode I is almost unwatchable, and Ep II is literally laughable with how comically bad it is. Those movies would be a footnote if not for the Star Wars name being attached to them.

And I'm on the other side of the coin.  The faults are greatly exaggerated because it bears the Star Wars name.

While I'm sure there are plenty of fans who do judge it more harshly for being Star Wars, I don't think those movies even hold up in their own right regardless. I'm not even much into Star Wars (I think they're good movies, but they're just like any other movie to me, not something to get fanatical about), and I don't like any of the prequels.

The acting is wooden, a lot of the main characters are unlikable, the dialogue is awful, the effects are bad and overdone, the story is boring and simplistic, and the whole trilogy relies on you knowing the outcome in advance for it to even be worth watching as an arc. And I actually think Ep III gets rated more kindly for being Star Wars, because I even find that to be a thoroughly mediocre film that relies heavily on connecting to the OT.

I'm sure there's truth to both sides here. When you have sub-par to average movies being released as part of such a hugely popular franchise with a fanatical fanbase, things are going to get blown out of proportion one way or another.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2757 on: April 22, 2015, 12:29:35 AM »
Plus it's the Internet. When Force Awakens comes out - there will be some people calling it not only the worst star wars movie - but also the worst film ever made by anyone ever.

Offline Mister Gold

• The Makers of Our Own Destiny
  • Human
« Reply #2758 on: April 22, 2015, 05:46:29 AM »
Plus it's the Internet. When Force Awakens comes out - there will be some people calling it not only the worst star wars movie - but also the worst film ever made by anyone ever.

Oh sure, but I suspect that there's going to be a lot more praise for the film than criticism. :tup
Beyond the limits of the mortal frame
To the farthest boundary of eternity
Where I, the Cosmic Sea
Watch the little ego floating in me.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2759 on: April 22, 2015, 06:47:56 AM »
I doubt we will see anything that extreme.

Remember, the prequels already exist.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2760 on: April 22, 2015, 06:55:16 AM »
I've seen criticisms of aspects of TFA already, but I don't think I've really seen anyone who isn't very optimistic about the movie itself. There will no doubt be some criticisms once the movie comes out, but I think the consensus is going to be overall very positive.

And also, the prequels already exist.

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2761 on: April 22, 2015, 07:18:07 AM »

And I'm on the other side of the coin.  The faults are greatly exaggerated because it bears the Star Wars name.

I think that's definitely part of it. The only reason they are famous bad movies is because they are bad Star Wars movies. I think the movies definitely deserve the flak they get, but most of the time movies of that level come out, they are just ignored/forgotten. The fact that they are Star Wars movies is what has given them the lasting attention, especially the negative.

No one remembers the Golden Compass or Zithura or other bad kids fantasy/sci-fi movies. Movies are only remembered if 1. They are really /really/ good. 2. They are so completely and bafflingly bad to the point of entertainment. 3. There is a famous name connected to them.

The prequels wouldn't make this list if it weren't for the third point.

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #2762 on: April 22, 2015, 11:13:59 AM »
Zithura...

Wasn't that Space Jumanji ?
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2763 on: April 22, 2015, 11:50:17 AM »
Zithura...

Wasn't that Space Jumanji ?
That's how I took it.

So it had 2 strikes against it.

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2764 on: April 22, 2015, 11:51:19 AM »
Yup. But Avatar proves that even an unoriginal idea can be remembered if done effectively.