Author Topic: Star Wars Discussion Thread v. Rogue One  (Read 457302 times)

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: All Star Wars Discussion Thread
« Reply #805 on: September 18, 2011, 12:03:15 PM »
Moff Jerjerrod has basically an entire subplot lumped together in one long deleted scene, where he is choked by Vader but lives, and is later given the order to turn the Death Star to destroy Endor if they lose the shield. 

That was in the novelization. I always thought that would have been great to be in the film as it added much more urgency to Lando's team in blowing up the Death Star.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline zepp-head

« Reply #806 on: September 18, 2011, 01:11:58 PM »
Yeah, he actually orders the firing to commence as well.  I have to imagine the reason it wasn't included was that it was even more like the A New Hope Death Star run than it already was.

Jerjerrod actually had a really big part in the first few drafts of Jedi.  I liked the idea of him being at odds with Vader, since the Empire was kinda split between people who were loyal to the Emperor (Jerjerrod) and people who were more loyal to Vader (Piett).  But ultimately I think it's better in the later drafts so that there isn't someone else constantly talking down to Vader and him just eating it up.

Offline Laich21DT

• I AM ERROR.
« Reply #807 on: September 18, 2011, 01:38:02 PM »
It's definitely more strenuous to get light side points.  I've played through the game a few times, and I still feel bad in real life about some of the things I did for dark side points.

That is the way of the Force, padawan.
I've got a plan, it involves pulling up our bootstraps, oiling up a couple of asses, and doing a little plowing of our own...... not gay sex. -Mac, It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia

Offline Laich21DT

• I AM ERROR.
« Reply #808 on: September 18, 2011, 01:58:58 PM »
since the Empire was kinda split between people who were loyal to the Emperor (Jerjerrod) and people who were more loyal to Vader (Piett).

Ehh? Really?
I've got a plan, it involves pulling up our bootstraps, oiling up a couple of asses, and doing a little plowing of our own...... not gay sex. -Mac, It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #809 on: September 18, 2011, 02:27:35 PM »
Here's a dumb question, but what would the tactical advantage of blowing up Endor be? Moff Jerjerrod was informed of fighters entering the super structure before he gave the order to fire, so even if they did destroy it, moments later the fighters would still reach the core. And it wasn't like Yavin where the centralized rebel alliance would be wiped out completely if the planet was destroyed. On Endor there was a only a small strike team.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #810 on: September 18, 2011, 02:40:31 PM »
Here's a dumb question, but what would the tactical advantage of blowing up Endor be? Moff Jerjerrod was informed of fighters entering the super structure before he gave the order to fire, so even if they did destroy it, moments later the fighters would still reach the core. And it wasn't like Yavin where the centralized rebel alliance would be wiped out completely if the planet was destroyed. On Endor there was a only a small strike team.

Easy, it would have prevented the two or so Ewok movie spinoffs that came out later.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline MasterShakezula

• Owes H $10
« Reply #811 on: September 18, 2011, 02:42:40 PM »
I agree that it wouldn't of been of much use to blow up Endor, but in the long run, they way things did go essentially guaranteed that its wildlife would be almost completely wiped out over a long period of time. 

Google Endor Extinction event or something like that, and there's an entire site dedicated to this theory.

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #812 on: September 18, 2011, 03:01:43 PM »
It's its own TVTrope:

No Endor Holocaust
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad idea."

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #813 on: September 18, 2011, 03:48:42 PM »
I agree that it wouldn't of been of much use to blow up Endor, but in the long run, they way things did go essentially guaranteed that its wildlife would be almost completely wiped out over a long period of time. 

Google Endor Extinction event or something like that, and there's an entire site dedicated to this theory.

I just found it and skimmed it briefly.  It's amazing the things people will waste their life on.
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #814 on: September 18, 2011, 08:17:31 PM »
Here's a dumb question, but what would the tactical advantage of blowing up Endor be?

There isn't any. I thought of it as being the empire's farewell Fuck You to the alliance.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #815 on: September 18, 2011, 08:19:40 PM »
Question: why didn't the rebels blow up the shield generator from the air?  Wouldn't that have been way easier?
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad idea."

Offline MasterShakezula

• Owes H $10
« Reply #816 on: September 18, 2011, 08:21:24 PM »
I think the reason they didn't do it was because running into the energy shield with a ship would result in the ship going explosimo, and hence, it woulda been too much of a risk of machinery trying to destroy it from the air.

Odds are, you could probably go to Wookeepedia to read about that specific model of generator and find out exactly why it couldn't be taken out from the air.

I'd do the research for you, but I don't care too much about the EU.  Not much of it lives up to the OT. 

Online Adami

« Reply #817 on: September 18, 2011, 08:23:00 PM »
Question: why didn't the rebels blow up the shield generator from the air?  Wouldn't that have been way easier?

I assume because they'd have blown their cover by then. If they start sending in fighter ships to blow up the shields, then those show up on radar.

Of course the Emperor knew it all already, but they didn't know that.

Also, I had a strange thought. Why did the Emperor need Vader? Seriously, the guy single handedly killed Sam Jackson and also defeated Yoda. He (alone) screwed the entire Jedi council and politically took over the entire galaxy. What was Vader's purpose?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline MasterShakezula

• Owes H $10
« Reply #818 on: September 18, 2011, 08:24:57 PM »
Well, if Palps died for some reason, Vader'd clearly be the second most effective leader of the empire (as far as Palp knew).

(Honestly, I found Vader to be much more competent than Palpy in the OT.  Though, it's not like the Emp had much screentime to do stuff, so yeah)

Online Adami

« Reply #819 on: September 18, 2011, 08:27:00 PM »
When the Palpatine ever come off as incompotent? The only thing he didn't see coming in all 6 movies was Vader turning on him. The entire story was controlled by one extent or another by Palpatine. The man seriously had the powers to kill just about anyone he wanted, also had was smart enough to do anything he wanted.

Vader didn't seem all that necessary.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Fiery Winds

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #820 on: September 18, 2011, 08:30:23 PM »
I think it's because Vader did all the dirty work for him.  Sticking strictly to the films, I'm not sure anyone knew that Palpatine was a Sith Lord.  In ANH, the folks on the Death Star tell Vader he's the last of his religion without mention of Palpatine.  No one but Luke and Vader see Palpatine use the Force in the OT, and those who saw him use it first hand in the PT died or in Yoda's case, ran off. 

Online Adami

« Reply #821 on: September 18, 2011, 08:31:48 PM »
So Darth Vader, the name most commonly associated with awesome in the sci-fi world has been reduced to a front man to make sure the main guy doesn't have to move around too much?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline MasterShakezula

• Owes H $10
« Reply #822 on: September 18, 2011, 08:35:07 PM »
Okay, I definitely misrepresented my thoughts, there.  Incompetent was definitely not the right word.  (I goofed there)  :facepalm:

It's just that, in like, ESB and ROTJ, it really seemed like Palp was, not weak (I mean, he was still shooting lightning and all), but past his peak.  He was still very smart, but I mean, he seemed pretty much good and fine with his executive position.  While Palp was handling most of the upper affairs, pulling the strings, coming up with the big ideas, Vader would actually go around and execute the plans and generally take more of the active role in getting the Empire's agendas through.  Palps= brains of the operation, Vader= Muscles.

Vader was very intelligent and strong himself, but was more enforcing Palp's shit than anything else.  However, Palps wouldn't be doing what he was without having someone as powerful as Vader as his right-hand.  And, eventually, if he died off, Vader'd be the best person to take over the throne.

That's my guess. 

Online Adami

« Reply #823 on: September 18, 2011, 08:37:17 PM »
Palp was not weak ever. He just liked to appear that way in order to confuse the enemy.

Luke was supposed to be the only guy who could tip the balance in the favor of the Jedi, and Palp took him out immediately. If Vader hadn't turned, Palpatine would have killed Luke any time he wanted.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline MasterShakezula

• Owes H $10
« Reply #824 on: September 18, 2011, 08:39:44 PM »
I guess the Emp's having Vader do most of the shit was part of his feigning weakness.

I mean, it'd be pretty clear to everyone how strong Palp actually was if he was doing both his and Vader's roles at once.

Online Adami

« Reply #825 on: September 18, 2011, 08:40:34 PM »
Still, a sad role for Vader.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #826 on: September 18, 2011, 08:59:57 PM »
Isn't having two dudes who can fuck shit up better than having just one?

It's like asking why the Mongols needed Genghis Khan and Subotai.

Online Adami

« Reply #827 on: September 18, 2011, 09:02:47 PM »
Isn't having two dudes who can fuck shit up better than having just one?

It's like asking why the Mongols needed Genghis Khan and Subotai.

I guess............but he didn't do anything really that anyone else couldn't have done.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline zepp-head

« Reply #828 on: September 18, 2011, 09:27:29 PM »
Palpatine had incredible foresight and power, but he needed an apprentice to carry on that way of life when he died.  He knew Maul and Dooku were only temporary solutions.  Vader was "the one".

He was well on his way to becoming twice as powerful as Palpatine, but the lava bath really changed things.  If you like "Dark Lord", then Vader figures out he can still be just as strong, but in a different way.  Unfortunately he is a walking lightning rod and serves under a guy super powerful with force lightning.  Therefore, he cannot take the Emperor alone.  Still, in the Emperor's eyes, Vader is competent, but damaged goods.  He sees in Luke what he once saw in Anakin, so both Vader and Palpatine originally had dark intentions for Luke. 

Short answer, Palps needed an apprentice. 
since the Empire was kinda split between people who were loyal to the Emperor (Jerjerrod) and people who were more loyal to Vader (Piett).

Ehh? Really?

Pretty much.  The early drafts of Jedi had the opening scene roles reversed, with Jerjerrod being the one dishing out shit to Vader, and the two were at odds with each other for the remainder of the script until Vader choked him to death after trying to stop him from seeing Luke (by order of the Emperor).  Piett remained loyal and perhaps sympathetic to Vader.  That script was more about Vader trying to save his son than the other way around. 

Also in the early drafts of Jedi: weird shit.  By that I mean the ghosts of Obi-Wan and Yoda playing a part in the duel with Vader, blocking lightning, and eventually coming back to life.  That draft left whether or not Vader was redeemed up to the audience as well, since he just tackles the Emperor into lava and they both die.  Some interesting things from that draft though was the inclusion of Coruscant (then called Had Abbadon), and Endor was the forest moon of that planet, meant to be a parallel I suppose.  Also, there were two Death Stars.  Contrary to some rumors, Lando survived the explosion in every known draft of the film.

Perhaps he hoped to do it in time before the ships entered the superstructure, or that his pilots would finish them off.  Mainly it would've been to kill Leia, Han, and Chewie to cement Luke's turn to the dark side. 

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #829 on: September 18, 2011, 09:43:16 PM »
I'm guessing that Palpatine knew that Vader was the chosen one, so he made sure he was on his side. I think?

Offline MasterShakezula

• Owes H $10
« Reply #830 on: September 18, 2011, 09:45:20 PM »
I'm guessing that Palpatine knew that Vader was the chosen one, so he made sure he was on his side. I think?

Sounds fair enough.

He did see pre-Vader a lot during the PT, plus, being a Sith, he probably would have the means of finding out, even if he didn't know him personally.

Online Adami

« Reply #831 on: September 18, 2011, 09:46:40 PM »

Chosen for what? Aside from killing Palpatine, he didn't do much.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline MasterShakezula

• Owes H $10
« Reply #832 on: September 18, 2011, 09:50:18 PM »
The prophecy seemed to involve "bringing balance to the force". 

His being around and working with Palps kinda had some connection to the number of functioning Jedi to be narrowed down to 2 (Not counting EU as a source). 

I'm pretty sure Palp would of had a much more difficult time taking over with way more than 2 Jedi to contend with.

Of course, I'm going by my memory, here; I don't watch the prequels too often.   

Online Adami

« Reply #833 on: September 18, 2011, 09:56:23 PM »
The only ones Anakin killed were the.............-sigh-...........younglings (Xenu I hate that word). Palpatines clone troopers killed everyone else. And he easily could have just had a ton of troopers murder all the kids.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline MasterShakezula

• Owes H $10
« Reply #834 on: September 18, 2011, 09:59:54 PM »
Guess that pokes another hole in Vader being really essential to Palp.

I guess, um, to preserve his dignaty, pretend the prequels didn't happen? 

I dunno, really.  These sort of continuity issues and logical fallacies that spring up about the series have something to do with why I tend to just forget about 1-3 sometimes. 

Offline Fiery Winds

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #835 on: September 18, 2011, 10:04:00 PM »
This is just a guess, but I think Vader was the guy who went around killing the rest of the Jedi between the events of III and IV. 

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #836 on: September 18, 2011, 10:05:08 PM »
I think it's because Vader did all the dirty work for him.  Sticking strictly to the films, I'm not sure anyone knew that Palpatine was a Sith Lord.  In ANH, the folks on the Death Star tell Vader he's the last of his religion without mention of Palpatine.  No one but Luke and Vader see Palpatine use the Force in the OT, and those who saw him use it first hand in the PT died or in Yoda's case, ran off.

Weird. I never realized that before. I always assumed everyone just knew the emperor was a sith lord, but maybe few or none knew at all.

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #837 on: September 18, 2011, 10:11:43 PM »
The only ones Anakin killed were the.............-sigh-...........younglings (Xenu I hate that word). Palpatines clone troopers killed everyone else. And he easily could have just had a ton of troopers murder all the kids.

Eh.  Even if you ignore the EU (which I do, because I know very little about it), it's impossible to believe that all the Jedi's were killed by Clone Troopers.  Someone had to run around killing them, and the best person for that job is Vader.  Being a Jedi slayer has to be a somewhat respected position.
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline ACID_FOX

• DTF's Offical Arctic Monkeys Fanboy.
  • But You're Just Fiction, And I'm A Twisted Boy.
« Reply #838 on: September 18, 2011, 10:40:03 PM »
At the end of the day, Vader did fufill the prophecy by killing Palpatine and effectively killing himself, as he did destroy the Sith, he just went the long way around it :lol
I only like ablums that I can xanascholithoun.

Online Adami

« Reply #839 on: September 18, 2011, 10:53:07 PM »

Eh.  Even if you ignore the EU (which I do, because I know very little about it), it's impossible to believe that all the Jedi's were killed by Clone Troopers.  Someone had to run around killing them, and the best person for that job is Vader.  Being a Jedi slayer has to be a somewhat respected position.

I do as well. However the movies show most Jedi being killed by the Troopers. It's not too far off to assume that they did most if not all of the work. If Vader killed any Jedi, it probably wasn't too many of them. And Palpatine easily could have done it himself.
fanticide.bandcamp.com