Author Topic: Everything Punk  (Read 26452 times)

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
Re: Everything Punk
« Reply #140 on: October 11, 2022, 07:47:50 AM »
So what does that mean for Angels And Airwaves?  They are an unreliable (maybe unpredictable is a better word) band with the personnel changes and the UFO shit, but their first couple records are solid, and I love Tom's voice.   It's a more mature sound than Blink; I'm not really into the Blink ethos. 

I don't know these guys, I don't know their deal, but this sort of smells a bit like a cash grab.  Tom has things he wants to do with space and NASA and UFOs and for a while AvA was funding that; you have to ask, "did the well run dry?".

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #141 on: October 11, 2022, 08:10:22 AM »
I don't see why Tom can't do both with next year dedicated to Blink.  Kind of sucks for Matt.  This was rumored for awhile, so good for it to just be announced.  I'm not a huge Blink fan (or AvA) for this to be important news for me. 

Edit, I just saw the dates so sharing that as well:

some solid openers too

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #142 on: December 02, 2022, 06:11:28 AM »

NOFX - Double Album just dropped today. I think that it is better than Single Album after the first listen, although a fair few of the songs were already released as part of 2019s 7 Inch of the Month Club.

I think the problem with Single Album was that it was half way between a NOFX record and Fat Mike's solo Cokie the Clown output. Fat Mike had been through some dark times in the last 10 years or so and it's really come through in his writing. As much as I'm sure it's really cathartic for him, I can sometimes be a hard listen and I long for the days of a more care free NOFX record.

It's also really short at like 27 minutes. I'll spin it a few more times today. Ariich, Glasser, you guys checked it out yet?

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #143 on: December 02, 2022, 07:38:26 AM »
I've recently been enjoying Crawler by IDLES. Has made me wonder whether I should get on the punk bus a bit. Given my feelings about over-produced modern metal, both Napalm Death and IDLES have an aggression and punk vibe I can really feel.

I've also dug Against Me! a lot since discovering them when New Wave came out.

Punk seems to mean a lot of different things, as do most big genre names, but if anyone can recommend something with some grunt and emotion I'd be grateful. Green Day I enjoyed for a bit in the 90s but I'm not really up for much more in that area, if that means anything at all.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Offline Deathless

« Reply #144 on: December 02, 2022, 08:55:12 AM »

NOFX - Double Album just dropped today. I think that it is better than Single Album after the first listen, although a fair few of the songs were already released as part of 2019s 7 Inch of the Month Club.

I think the problem with Single Album was that it was half way between a NOFX record and Fat Mike's solo Cokie the Clown output. Fat Mike had been through some dark times in the last 10 years or so and it's really come through in his writing. As much as I'm sure it's really cathartic for him, I can sometimes be a hard listen and I long for the days of a more care free NOFX record.

It's also really short at like 27 minutes. I'll spin it a few more times today. Ariich, Glasser, you guys checked it out yet?

I have never been able to get into NOFX! For some of their older music it was the production style, and I gave a couple songs on here a listen and they're OK but I'm still not a huge fan.

Here are a couple bands I've been listening to lately:
Matt Skiba and the Sekrets
Good Riddance
Youth Fountain

Would love to hear more about what you all are listening to. There are a TON of bands in the genre and a lot of new ones I'm discovering thanks to Spotify.

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #145 on: December 02, 2022, 02:11:54 PM »
I've recently been enjoying Crawler by IDLES. Has made me wonder whether I should get on the punk bus a bit. Given my feelings about over-produced modern metal, both Napalm Death and IDLES have an aggression and punk vibe I can really feel.

Punk seems to mean a lot of different things, as do most big genre names, but if anyone can recommend something with some grunt and emotion I'd be grateful. Green Day I enjoyed for a bit in the 90s but I'm not really up for much more in that area, if that means anything at all.

Off the top my head I'd say give Gallows first album Orchestra of Wolves, a go. It sounds like you mainly want aggressive punk, so give Discharge a go as well I suppose  :tup

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #146 on: December 02, 2022, 04:04:52 PM »

Off the top my head I'd say give Gallows first album Orchestra of Wolves, a go. It sounds like you mainly want aggressive punk, so give Discharge a go as well I suppose  :tup

Thanks!  :tup

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #147 on: December 02, 2022, 07:00:20 PM »
But for serious I enjoy some Bad Religion, Early Offspring ( pre Ixnay ) and some Rancid ( Out Come The Wolves )
I still can't understand why no one else seems to like their recent (i.e. post 2000) output. To me, every album has great songs.

I'm a fan of all, I really think they have aged well.

Love the Offspring as well.  Finally got to see them last year perform all of Smash and it was a wonderful time.  Also Bad Religion opened (so did Pennywise) and I LOVE Bad Religion.  I may go see them this fall when they come back to NJ.

They were pretty great up until Splinter. I had already moved on to my next obsession with Disturbed, but The Offspring were still on my radar, but Splinter was kinda disappointing. It still has some great songs though.

Then they were abducted by aliens and replaced with less talented clones, and I was done with them.

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #148 on: December 03, 2022, 12:39:12 AM »

I have never been able to get into NOFX! For some of their older music it was the production style, and I gave a couple songs on here a listen and they're OK but I'm still not a huge fan.

Here are a couple bands I've been listening to lately:
Matt Skiba and the Sekrets
Good Riddance
Youth Fountain

Would love to hear more about what you all are listening to. There are a TON of bands in the genre and a lot of new ones I'm discovering thanks to Spotify.

Fair comment about NOFX, they are quite an acquired taste. They are my favourite punk band though, and I love Fat Mike's songwriting.

As for the bands you've listed, I love Alkaline Trio so anything with Matt Skiba is good. I've listened to some of his other projects but not this one. Good Riddance aren't bad, I've got a few of their albums. Not heard Youth Fountain, I'll give them a go.

These are my favourite bands in the genre (including ska punk/skacore). There are a number of great bands from the UK ska punk scene that people in the US seem to be unaware of.

NOFX
Bad Religion
Rancid
The King Blues
Alkaline Trio
Frank Turner
Green Day
Blink-182
Rise Against
Millencolin
Mad Caddies
Lagwagon
The Skints
The Offspring
Leftover Crack 
Anti-Flag
Less Than Jake
Random Hand
No Use for a Name
King Prawn
The Suicide Machines
Capdown
New Found Glory
The Slackers
Sum 41
Streetlight Manifesto
Jaya the Cat
Operation Ivy
Choking Victim

If you're looking for newer bands that are currently on top of their game (in my opinion) I'd go with the following...

The Flatliners
The Interrupters
Get Dead
The Dirty Nil
The Bennies
Riskee and the Ridicule
« Last Edit: December 03, 2022, 12:44:21 AM by twosuitsluke »

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #149 on: December 03, 2022, 05:15:39 AM »

I'm rather enjoying it. I wasn't that keen on Single Album at the time, but this made me revisit that and actually it's pretty great too, not sure why it didn't click with me originally. I'm enjoying Fat Mike's writing (music and lyrics) a lot at the moment, the last three NOFX albums are all pretty strong whereas I've found them hit and miss in the past.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #150 on: December 03, 2022, 12:47:01 PM »
These are my favourite bands in the genre (including ska punk/skacore). There are a number of great bands from the UK ska punk scene that people in the US seem to be unaware of.

I'll post my list after your roulette, in case I want to use any more that you're unfamiliar with.  ;)

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #151 on: December 03, 2022, 01:42:28 PM »
Stumpled upon IDLES on youtube and been binging their live performances and their live in studio session. Not the kind of music i normally listen to but I can't stop listening to them, something really captivating about them.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #152 on: December 03, 2022, 02:55:03 PM »
Stumpled upon IDLES on youtube and been binging their live performances and their live in studio session. Not the kind of music i normally listen to but I can't stop listening to them, something really captivating about them.

That's how I first heard them. Some basement performance on YT. Then soon after that the BBC were streaming their Glastonbury set. I'm the same, not my usual bag but they have a quality that really draws me in.

Offline NoseofNicko

« Reply #153 on: December 03, 2022, 04:03:22 PM »
^You should listen to Joy as an Act of Resistance. It’s their best album imo.

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #154 on: December 06, 2022, 04:14:23 PM »
^You should listen to Joy as an Act of Resistance. It’s their best album imo.

Nice. Will get on that. Ta.

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #155 on: January 16, 2023, 03:02:31 PM »
So NOFX have just announced they're playing two shows in the UK, in May, as part of the farewell world tour.

I originally thought they were playing Slamdunk festival, as it seems to be advertised that way, but they are just actually playing at the festival venue the nights either side of the main festival.

I've already got some mates going to Slamdunk South, and the lineup is pretty good...

There's definitely a fair few bands I'd like to see. The dilemma is that NOFX are playing the following night in Hatfield and I can't afford both, as well as justify having two nights away from the wife and kid. NOFX are my all time favourite punk band, and this is looking likely that it'll be the last time I'll ever see them.

I'm 99% sure I'll get tickets for NOFX and just go on my own if needs be. Even though mates are less likely to come to NOFX I wouldn't forgive myself for missing it. Plus they are going to be announcing more bands in support of NOFX, so I'm hoping it'll be like a mini Punk In Drublic Festival.

Kinda wished I could just do both as it also falls around my 40th birthday so hoping to go and celebrate with friends. Oh well.

Online chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #156 on: January 17, 2023, 05:46:41 AM »
Yellowcard are back? I had no idea. I've seen Ryan Key but would like to see the whole band together.

Offline Deathless

« Reply #157 on: January 17, 2023, 06:38:12 AM »
Yellowcard are back? I had no idea. I've seen Ryan Key but would like to see the whole band together.

I think they are just doing festival dates for now. They played a festival here in the states last year (Riot Fest?) but that's been it so far. Hopefully they are just dipping their toes in and will tour more / record music.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #158 on: January 17, 2023, 08:29:38 AM »
I'm starting to think Fat Mike wasn't joking when he said NOFX wasn't coming back to NJ 4 months ago. The 40 final show thing leaves little room to return to NJ.  He said it a few times during the show, and I couldn't tell if it was part of the jokes or if he was being totally serious. While I personally have been a bit down on NOFX, I'd like to catch them on their final tour because those shows sound really cool.  40 songs, two full albums. Oh well.  If that last show was my last chance, I'm glad I went then.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #159 on: January 17, 2023, 09:03:55 AM »
So NOFX have just announced they're playing two shows in the UK, in May, as part of the farewell world tour.

I originally thought they were playing Slamdunk festival, as it seems to be advertised that way, but they are just actually playing at the festival venue the nights either side of the main festival.

I've already got some mates going to Slamdunk South, and the lineup is pretty good...

There's definitely a fair few bands I'd like to see. The dilemma is that NOFX are playing the following night in Hatfield and I can't afford both, as well as justify having two nights away from the wife and kid. NOFX are my all time favourite punk band, and this is looking likely that it'll be the last time I'll ever see them.

I'm 99% sure I'll get tickets for NOFX and just go on my own if needs be. Even though mates are less likely to come to NOFX I wouldn't forgive myself for missing it. Plus they are going to be announcing more bands in support of NOFX, so I'm hoping it'll be like a mini Punk In Drublic Festival.

Kinda wished I could just do both as it also falls around my 40th birthday so hoping to go and celebrate with friends. Oh well.
Hatfield Park is like a 15-20 minute drive away for me. I'm sure I could be tempted to join you!

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #160 on: January 17, 2023, 10:45:23 AM »

So it seems. I was only ever really a fan of Ocean Avenue, but I LOVED thar album back in like 2005.

Hatfield Park is like a 15-20 minute drive away for me. I'm sure I could be tempted to join you!

Hell yea dude! Guess I've gotta meet a DTF'er in the wild sooner or later  :tup  we should definitely meet up.

I'm starting to think Fat Mike wasn't joking when he said NOFX wasn't coming back to NJ 4 months ago. The 40 final show thing leaves little room to return to NJ.  He said it a few times during the show, and I couldn't tell if it was part of the jokes or if he was being totally serious. While I personally have been a bit down on NOFX, I'd like to catch them on their final tour because those shows sound really cool.  40 songs, two full albums. Oh well.  If that last show was my last chance, I'm glad I went then.

Fat Mike is notorious for saying shit, and it's hard to know when to.take him seriously, but I feel certain he's serious about this.

Offline Deathless

« Reply #161 on: January 18, 2023, 10:55:35 AM »
I haven't listened to them in years but Fall Out Boy seems to be trying to get back to their punk/pop roots with their newest album. Their new single is fine - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oBrkbWSB3Ls&ab_channel=FallOutBoy

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #162 on: April 22, 2023, 02:27:28 PM »
Hello fellow punks. I feel compelled to tell you about the new punk release that is currently kicking my ass. Road to Sedition by Faintest Idea...

They're a politically charged UK ska punk/skacore band, and their latest is just so good. The way it is going it may creep in to be my album of the year so far, just really, really good.

Oh, actually whilst we're on the subject I'd also suggest checking out Above the Static by The Barstool Preachers. It's pop punk, and really good pop punk at that.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #163 on: April 22, 2023, 03:02:21 PM »
Hello fellow punks. I feel compelled to tell you about the new punk release that is currently kicking my ass. Road to Sedition by Faintest Idea...

They're a politically charged UK ska punk/skacore band, and their latest is just so good. The way it is going it may creep in to be my album of the year so far, just really, really good.

Just dropped the needle on this. Wow, this is really interesting. I'm not sure I could do a whole album of this, but it's really cool.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #164 on: April 22, 2023, 03:18:29 PM »

Just dropped the needle on this. Wow, this is really interesting. I'm not sure I could do a whole album of this, but it's really cool.

Definitely not the sort of thing I'd expect you to like dude, but glad you're giving it a shot. Let me know if you make it through the whole album. Punk Roulette when?

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #165 on: April 22, 2023, 03:27:43 PM »

Definitely not the sort of thing I'd expect you to like dude, but glad you're giving it a shot. Let me know if you make it through the whole album.

I tapped out after the third song. I have it saved and noted on my 2023 Release Document, so I'll definitely revisit it. It was definitely cool.

Punk Roulette when?

I just had a roulette with a bunch of damn punks.

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #166 on: April 22, 2023, 08:00:38 PM »
Punk Roulette when?

TAC's next roulette:

Round 1:  Classical
Round 2:  Electronic music
Round 3:  Country
Round 4:  Soul
Round 5:  Punk
Round 6:  Female growls
Round 7:  Ambient music
Round 8:  Non-Western music
Round 9:  Jazz
Round 10:  Hip-hop

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #167 on: April 23, 2023, 12:21:59 AM »
Punk Roulette when?

TAC's next roulette:

Round 1:  Classic punk
Round 2:  Ska punk
Round 3:  Hardcore punk
Round 4:  Skate punk
Round 5:  Pop punk
Round 6:  Political punk
Round 7:  Crust punk
Round 8:  Folk punk
Round 9:  Anarcho punk
Round 10:  Psychobilly punk

FTFY

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #168 on: May 08, 2023, 02:56:31 PM »
https://www.nytimes.com/2023/05/08/arts/music/sum-41-break-up-farewell-tour.html

well, glad I got to see them next summer.  Their summer tour coming up, isn't coming here.  Maybe their farewell tour will be something I check out.  While I'm no big fan, they are solid and definitely one of the pop punk style bands that I enjoy the most.

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #169 on: May 08, 2023, 02:59:03 PM »
Punk Roulette when?

TAC's next roulette:

Round 1:  Classic punk
Round 2:  Ska punk
Round 3:  Hardcore punk
Round 4:  Skate punk
Round 5:  Pop punk
Round 6:  Political punk
Round 7:  Crust punk
Round 8:  Folk punk
Round 9:  Anarcho punk
Round 10:  Psychobilly punk

FTFY

I could do the first 7 (#6 is almost redundant, and not really a musical genre anyway), but I'd be toast with the last 3.  I'd swap in post-punk, D-beat, surf punk, and glam or Celtic punk. 
« Last Edit: May 08, 2023, 03:04:34 PM by LithoJazzoSphere »

Offline Glasser

« Reply #170 on: May 08, 2023, 04:14:36 PM »
My favorite Punk bands are:

Black Flag, Misfits, Government Issue, Poison Idea, GBH, Spermbirds, Broken Bones, Subhumans, The Dwarves, Circle Jerks and Dead Kennedy's.

Offline Deathless

« Reply #171 on: May 09, 2023, 06:50:17 AM »
https://www.nytimes.com/2023/05/08/arts/music/sum-41-break-up-farewell-tour.html

well, glad I got to see them next summer.  Their summer tour coming up, isn't coming here.  Maybe their farewell tour will be something I check out.  While I'm no big fan, they are solid and definitely one of the pop punk style bands that I enjoy the most.

They are one of my favorite punk bands. They actually have a nice mix of pop punk but have also leaned into their heavier side (And Deryck confirmed their "final" album will be part one side pop-punk and the second their darker/heavier side like the album Chuck).

I am not surprised at all about this, but the language is interesting. They specifically did not say "break-up" but disband. Deryck has a very young child and a second on the way, and he built a really nice studio recently and mentioned that a ton of labels and artists want him to write with and produce for them. It makes perfect sense that Sum 41 go away while he raise his young children. They can always come back 5-6 years down the line if they wanted to. I am really interested to hear the new album and will be catching them on tour as well.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #172 on: May 09, 2023, 11:00:34 AM »

They are one of my favorite punk bands. They actually have a nice mix of pop punk but have also leaned into their heavier side (And Deryck confirmed their "final" album will be part one side pop-punk and the second their darker/heavier side like the album Chuck).

I am not surprised at all about this, but the language is interesting. They specifically did not say "break-up" but disband. Deryck has a very young child and a second on the way, and he built a really nice studio recently and mentioned that a ton of labels and artists want him to write with and produce for them. It makes perfect sense that Sum 41 go away while he raise his young children. They can always come back 5-6 years down the line if they wanted to. I am really interested to hear the new album and will be catching them on tour as well.

Yeah, they didn't go into specifics, but it sounds like the guys are all in a good place and have other things in their lives besides Sum 41.  The fact they will continue with all their commitments is a good sign too.  I'd rather see bands go out on their own terms than an abrupt ending or a long drawn out ending with poor performances. 

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #173 on: May 09, 2023, 02:14:55 PM »
I've always been partial to a bit of Sum41, well mainly Does This Look Infected? and Chuck.

I've never got around to seeing them live, and wish I'd seen them on the 20 year DTLI? tour. Good luck to 'em all though.

Offline Glasser

« Reply #174 on: May 10, 2023, 12:12:13 AM »
I'm losing my mind trying to remember the band that did a cover of Cheech and Chong's song "Mama Talking To Me". Can anyone help me? I just heard it on Amazon and forgot who it was...  :facepalm: >:(

Edit: It was old funk metal band Scatterbrain.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2023, 02:23:15 PM by Glasser »