Author Topic: THINGS THAT REALLY PISS ME OFF!!! (A Thread To Vent All Music Stuff).  (Read 1912 times)

Offline Glasser

Ok, I usually speak on all things in a positive light but I have to know if I’m alone on these as well as others you may have:

1) Opening a new cd and having to get the “Fort Knox” sticker that folds over from the back of the case to the front. Removing it flat out sucks AND the glue it leaves behind makes it look like shit. I usually have to find another case to replace it. WTF?!

2) Double or triple cd digi-packs that scratch the cd’s taking them out and putting them back. This is total bullshit! Either use jewel cases or a micro fiber sleeve to slide them in. I have a bunch of cd’s, mostly live ones that look like they have been stored on my car seat for years!  :censored :angry:
« Last Edit: September 05, 2021, 05:37:58 PM by Glasser »

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
Re: THINGS THAT REALLY PISS ME OFF!!! (A Thread To Vent All Music Stuff).
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2021, 05:40:47 PM »
I would always use a knife to slit the sticker on a cd.  Makes it so much easier to remove.

Offline Glasser

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2021, 05:48:07 PM »
I would always use a knife to slit the sticker on a cd.  Makes it so much easier to remove.

That’s a good tip but it just shouldn’t have to be. The shrink wrap is all that’s needed. I now picture myself in my car opening a cd with a knife as a cop happens to walk up to my car and I say “it’s ok officer, I’m opening the new Ozzy cd, oh yes, I slipped and that’s why there’s blood fingerprints on my dashboard”  :metal :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2021, 07:50:06 PM »
I can get on board with both of these gripes.  I used to like digipaks but hate them now.  They age badly even when they are stored in a shelf for years.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2021, 09:04:38 PM »
It sucks that newer cars don't even have CD players anymore.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2021, 09:36:09 PM »
There’s a really super easy way of taking those stickers off the top. You just have to release the front of the jewel case from the bottom and take it off. Then it just peels away easily. I haven’t had any of the new ones leave any glue behind. The only time I’ve ever had a lot of glue residue as if it’s a very old CD that sat on the shelf for a super long time. But in either case, a little bit of peanut butter tends to remove that glue. The oils break down the glue and make it easier to scrape off.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Glasser

« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2021, 09:58:04 PM »

Yes it does. To this day I have never owned a car that doesn’t have one. I still have my Walkman as well as a portable CD player. Having a single disc player is the cure for “musical ADD”. Remember the old days when you played ONE album for weeks on end because we had to wait for a release date date? I also remember record stores saying they were sold out of an album and had to special order it. Now we can hear any album anywhere anytime. Back in the day we really appreciated the few that would come out in the Summer and then the Fall. We played the shit out of them.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2021, 10:10:58 PM »

Yes it does. To this day I have never owned a car that doesn’t have one. I still have my Walkman as well as a portable CD player. Having a single disc player is the cure for “musical ADD”. Remember the old days when you played ONE album for weeks on end because we had to wait for a release date date? I also remember record stores saying they were sold out of an album and had to special order it. Now we can hear any album anywhere anytime. Back in the day we really appreciated the few that would come out in the Summer and then the Fall. We played the shit out of them.

I’m almost 52, and I was exactly like this until about 3 years ago when I was gifted someone’s old iPod. And I found out I could listen to about 30 albums or so on shuffle at work.

I got hooked.

Now I have Sony Walkman with a 64G micro SD card that holds a little over 2000 songs in FLAC format. Now that I’ve gotten used to it, I have a tough time listening to one album all the way through because I have grown to crave the variety. Going from Frank Zappa, to Frank Sinatra, to PM Dawn, to BTBAM, to Tool, to Bel Canto (synth new age), to Mr Bungle, to The Crystal Method….etc etc. is pretty freaking awesome.

Offline Glasser

« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2021, 10:25:15 PM »

I’m almost 52, and I was exactly like this until about 3 years ago when I was gifted someone’s old iPod. And I found out I could listen to about 30 albums or so on shuffle at work.

I got hooked.

Now I have Sony Walkman with a 64G micro SD card that holds a little over 2000 songs in FLAC format. Now that I’ve gotten used to it, I have a tough time listening to one album all the way through because I have grown to crave the variety. Going from Frank Zappa, to Frank Sinatra, to PM Dawn, to BTBAM, to Tool, to Bel Canto (synth new age), to Mr Bungle, to The Crystal Method….etc etc. is pretty freaking awesome.

We are the same age! Born 1970? I miss the old days but yes I have a bunch of MP3 players with about    4 gigs each so I gave in as well. I still by cds of certain bands. I mostly buy from Qobuz and Bandcamp so I can get 24 bit WAV or AIFF. But I still try to sit with only a few albums at a time. Love Mr. Bungle’s first album!!!! Check out these bands/albums: Wheel- Resident Human, Simulacrum- Genesis, Dyssidia- Costly Signals, and the last 3 albums by HEMINA. Let me know if and when you do. Enjoy!

Offline jammindude

« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2021, 10:48:15 PM »
Close….Nov 69. So basically 70. I was still pooping my pants when 70 started, so that counts.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2021, 10:51:58 PM »
Oh…and I never gave up my CDs. My collection is closing in on 3000 I believe. I need to go to IKEA to get a couple more racks because I’ve outgrown the ones I have.

I have everything ripped in FLAC to a 5TB external drive, and I’m hoping to move forward on digitizing my vinyl when I get some time.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2021, 12:58:28 AM »

I got hooked.

My MUUUUSIC PLAYER,  My private paradise...
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2021, 01:51:24 PM »
Ok, I usually speak on all things in a positive light but I have to know if I’m alone on these as well as others you may have:

1) Opening a new cd and having to get the “Fort Knox” sticker that folds over from the back of the case to the front. Removing it flat out sucks AND the glue it leaves behind makes it look like shit. I usually have to find another case to replace it. WTF?!

I use the rest of the sticker to "pull" off as much of the adhesive as I can (you'd be amazed) and any I can't get I get a quick hit of WD40 and wipe them off.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2021, 01:52:42 PM »
Yeah a wire wool with some water on it works wonders...

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2021, 01:54:25 PM »
I'm sad that MiniDisc didn't really take off as I loved them so much.

They were like CDs onto which you could record whatever you wanted and edit in real time.

Plus more portable than CD Walkmans as they didn't skip. They were a GREAT format.

Also LOLZ at Neil Youngs 'iphone killer' the PONO. Basically a Toblerone that you're supposed to keep in your pocket. Mmm. Comfy!!!

And he claimed it would ONLy take WAV format "unlike an iPod"...

Well..My iPhone 6 can take WAVE files too! And it's flat so fits in my pocket perfectly !!!

I just saw it as an MP3 player for Hipsters and filling a gap in the market that didn't exist.

I can usually get it off , but it's the little sticky bits stuck to my finger that's the hassle.

Wording :facepalm:

:zydar: :zydarscouch:

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2021, 01:54:54 PM »
I can usually get it off , but it's the little sticky bits stuck to my fingers that's the hassle.

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jammindude

« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2021, 03:53:31 PM »
That’s why I really love my Sony Walkman. As far as I know it handles all major formats, is portable and compact, and fairly decent quality that Sony is known for. It even excepts micro SD cards up to 128G.

Since all my music is saved on my tower all I gotta do is take my player down to my computer once every few weeks and shuffle things around.

I'm sad that MiniDisc didn't really take off as I loved them so much.

They were like CDs onto which you could record whatever you wanted and edit in real time.

Plus more portable than CD Walkmans as they didn't skip. They were a GREAT format.

I absolutely adored MiniDiscs!  I still have my deck hooked up to my home system with most of my old blanks. But because I have long since gotten rid of my car deck, there’s not much use for it anymore. I think I only have it hooked up because there are some things I have on MD that I can’t replace. One of which is an original digital recording of Mike Portnoy debuting the first OSI album as part of a radio or podcast show or some thing.

I literally haven’t listened to it since I recorded it. So I forget who’s shows it was. Maybe the wookiee?

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2021, 04:14:09 PM »
I can usually get it off , but it's the little sticky bits stuck to my fingers that's the hassle.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2021, 07:56:41 PM »

For the record, some Subaru cars still have CD players, though that's probably going to stop soon  :-\
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2021, 07:58:18 PM »
I have a car that still has a cassette player! :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #20 on: September 06, 2021, 08:09:45 PM »

:metal

Offline jammindude

« Reply #21 on: September 06, 2021, 08:55:43 PM »

Still have the adapter to plug in your Walkman?

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #22 on: September 06, 2021, 09:43:53 PM »
Also LOLZ at Neil Youngs 'iphone killer' the PONO. Basically a Toblerone that you're supposed to keep in your pocket. Mmm. Comfy!!!

And he claimed it would ONLy take WAV format "unlike an iPod"...

Well..My iPhone 6 can take WAVE files too! And it's flat so fits in my pocket perfectly !!!

I just saw it as an MP3 player for Hipsters and filling a gap in the market that didn't exist.
I think it used a FLAC derivative, but it might've supported higher resolution files than an iPhone 6. Still a very niche product that wasn't really well thought out in many regards, though. FiiO for example had already been making better products for that market for years.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #23 on: September 06, 2021, 10:08:05 PM »
Speaking of FiiO....Does anyone know of where to get a music player that has two MicroSD card slots? I've been using Fiio and this one I have almost gave out on me. It's fine now, but I don't really like the interface. It is really laggy and not that great. But the sound quality and the sound features are top notch and I love it for these reasons alone.

I just wish there were more music players available with 2 MicroSD card slot so I can take all my music with me where I go. I have mashups, OC Remixes, and other sound files that I can not get anywhere else that I also would like to listen to.

Also, I will attest that because of MP3 players, I got into the habit and joy of listening to my music on shuffle. I have discovered so many fascinating aspects about music, like how there are only so many keys out there in the world that musicians use and most musicians tend to use only the basic forms of the keys, to the point where certain sections in songs sound similar to another song. Because of listening to my music on shuffle, I have found quite a few of these similar sounding riffs/sections that I call them crossovers.

A great example of something I discovered is that Pain of Salvation's song Keen to A Fault is like a combination of Chroma Key - On The Page, Faunts - M4 pt.II, and Anathema - Untouchables Pt.1.

And then there is Avantasia - Shelter From The Rain, Wastelands being basically Helloween - March of Time.  :lol

I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #24 on: September 07, 2021, 06:26:58 AM »
You can always hot rod an iPod.   I did that; I have an iPod that is a terabyte in size and have every song on my network drive duped onto the iPod (I use I think 192 kBs, but I have plenty of room to go higher if need be, though I won't fit lossless).

Oh, and when I said "I did that", I mean I literally did it myself.  I went out and bought a used iPod (you have to be careful because not every iPod can be hot-rodded to the same degree), a card board, four microSD cards, and I replaced the battery at the same time.  Viola, it LOOKS like an iPod, but performs a lot better.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #25 on: September 07, 2021, 07:53:16 AM »
You can always hot rod an iPod.   I did that; I have an iPod that is a terabyte in size and have every song on my network drive duped onto the iPod (I use I think 192 kBs, but I have plenty of room to go higher if need be, though I won't fit lossless).

Oh, and when I said "I did that", I mean I literally did it myself.  I went out and bought a used iPod (you have to be careful because not every iPod can be hot-rodded to the same degree), a card board, four microSD cards, and I replaced the battery at the same time.  Viola, it LOOKS like an iPod, but performs a lot better.

My audio is in FLAC, well ALAC. And my SD cards are 128GB each.

And I do not have the skills to hot rod an iPod, nor do I have the steady hand.  :biggrin:
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #26 on: September 07, 2021, 04:37:18 PM »
This doesn't really piss me off so much as amuse me - but when you say you're not a fan of a band ( especially if they're a so called classic band or musician )

and a fan of that band or artist insults you PERSONALLY.

:lolpalm: Like - get a life dude it's not YOUR band.

Or if you like the "WRONG" album.

For example - something like

" And Justice For All is clearly the best Metallica album..."

" Actually I think that Master is far superior "

" Well you're an idiot and your opinion is worth nothing. "

Ok dude.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #27 on: September 07, 2021, 06:43:23 PM »
This doesn't really piss me off so much as amuse me - but when you say you're not a fan of a band ( especially if they're a so called classic band or musician )

Ok dude.

That’s insane.

I mean, everyone knows that Lulu is where it’s at.

Seriously. What are those guys thinking?

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #28 on: September 09, 2021, 03:44:59 AM »
I don't actually hate Lulu. I mean - it's not even the worst Lou Reed Album.

Have you HEARD Metal Machine Music ?

People acted like Lou Reed was the brand new permanent vocalist for Metallica and this was the follow up to Death Magnetic.

If it wasn't for Lou Reeds vocals -it's 90 mins of Metallica Jamming ! I know people would pay for a double album of Metallica Jams as they buy the

new Remaster Boxsets which contain multiple CDs of just that!

---

I already knew how Lou sounded so it wasn't a surprise. Plus when I first heard "The View" I actually got goosebumps. It was sinister as phuq and I loved it.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #29 on: September 09, 2021, 06:44:33 AM »

Ok dude.

Not to pick nits here, but you're BOTH wrong.  There is no "best" - unless you're using a very specific standard, like "most copies sold", or "most songs still played live" - only "your favorite". 

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #30 on: September 09, 2021, 04:47:45 PM »
No you misunderstand.

It's when someone says something like "Justice is the best album " and you say that you PREFER Master...And they say you CAN have a WRONG opinion...

It's like no opinions are wrong. Facts can be wrong not opinions. And opinions are not facts.

For example If I showed them a 4 string bass and said " This bass has 4 strings " and they would go " yeah in YOUR opinion..."

That's literally how dumb it sounds.