Author Topic: Metallica Thread  (Read 181482 times)

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: Metallica Thread v. remastered Kill em All and RTL!
« Reply #2170 on: December 05, 2022, 03:21:22 PM »
Bleeding Me is awesome!!!!

It definitely makes my 6 song Load/Reload EP.

That EP better include Low Man's Lyric and The Unforgiven II!

Nope. Actually, it's a 5 song EP.

Ain't My Bitch
Bleeding Me
Fuel
Wasting My Hate
The Outlaw Torn

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline nick_z

« Reply #2171 on: December 11, 2022, 06:05:51 PM »
I imagine the StateOfMercury YT channel has been mentioned before in this thread, but this "What if" video of Lux Aeterna/Kill 'em All is quite brilliant  :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qONdZg95Vi8

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2172 on: December 11, 2022, 06:13:52 PM »
Interesting. Don't think that channel has ever been mentioned.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline nick_z

« Reply #2173 on: December 11, 2022, 07:27:06 PM »

Well, there’s a lot of those “what if” videos…I’ve checked out a few over time, I guess there’s only so many you can watch before it gets a bit old. But it’s undeniable they are very well done.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2174 on: December 11, 2022, 07:28:04 PM »

Well, there’s a lot of those “what if” videos…I’ve checked out a few over time, I guess there’s only so many you can watch before it gets a bit old. But it’s undeniable they are very well done.

Definitely.

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2175 on: December 12, 2022, 02:40:28 AM »
Bloody hell, that was astonishingly good.
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline Deadeye21

• 30 years say we’re in this together
« Reply #2176 on: December 12, 2022, 06:28:30 AM »
Shameless self-promotion here. If anyone wants to revisit the back catalogue with me in the lead up to 72 Seasons, come and join me over on my deep dive thread. Just did my first review on Kill ‘Em All, and I’m looking forward to Ride the Lightning this Friday.
Let's go with a P for Deadeye has premature alphabetejaculation.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #2177 on: December 12, 2022, 10:17:36 AM »

Is there one called "What If The Astonishing Hadn't Been a Terrible Slog?"
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline nick_z

« Reply #2178 on: December 12, 2022, 10:38:42 AM »

Is there one called "What If The Astonishing Hadn't Been a Terrible Slog?"

:lol

Nope, sorry, only Metallica...

Among the many in there, a couple of Enter Sandman ones that sound neat (regardless of how sick you are of the song, I mean)

What If Enter Sandman was on Load:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rs_c3dc2F74

(some of the little variations and changed accents are kinda cool and it really DOES sound it's from Load)

What if Enter Sandman was on ...And Justice
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ckbzMKJVUWQ

Offline pg1067

« Reply #2179 on: December 12, 2022, 05:07:33 PM »

More like "Blackened Sandman," but it's about 1000x better than the real thing.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2180 on: December 12, 2022, 05:10:20 PM »

Oh shit, I had to listen after that comment.

So true!
 :rollin

Offline nick_z

« Reply #2181 on: December 12, 2022, 05:55:54 PM »

So true!

It is! :) And presumably what he was going for...

Offline emtee

« Reply #2182 on: December 13, 2022, 03:46:39 AM »
Official video already has 10 million+ views.

Offline twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #2183 on: December 13, 2022, 03:47:01 AM »

So true!

It is! :) And presumably what he was going for...

Yea, this is great. Just shares it with a load of friends who had similar feelings  :tup

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2184 on: December 14, 2022, 11:13:22 AM »
I'm at work and an hour ago I went to walk down the hallway to the bathroom, pull out my phone and scroll through twitter as I'm walking and see Metallica posted that they released some tickets for the show on Friday. Ran back to my desk and scooped up a face value ticket  :metal :metal The concert on Friday will also be live streamed on Paramount+ for those back home who have the streaming service.  I'm so fucking excited now, also Greta Van Fleet opening  :yarr I think the live stream may include their set.

Offline Samsara

• Queensrÿche Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #2185 on: December 14, 2022, 12:29:26 PM »

Amen.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline dparrott

« Reply #2186 on: December 15, 2022, 11:09:05 AM »
Wow those StateOfMercury vids are awesome.  I want My Apocalypse with the Justice sound.
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #2187 on: December 15, 2022, 11:10:08 AM »

Really? I know it's overplayed, but I think Enter Sandman is a great song. This version is fun, but not terribly nice to listen to and kind of forgettable.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline pg1067

« Reply #2188 on: December 15, 2022, 12:32:28 PM »

Really? I know it's overplayed, but I think Enter Sandman is a great song. This version is fun, but not terribly nice to listen to and kind of forgettable.

I've never liked Sandman.  From the day it was released, I felt like it was "dumbed down" Metallica.  Basically a single riff played over and over and over and over, along with some whole note chords and mid-tempo 8th note strumming.  I get that it's their most popular song, but it's not for me.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #2189 on: December 15, 2022, 12:57:45 PM »
I was never a huge Enter Sandman fan either. It's fine, but you stack it up to some other songs from even the same album like Sad But True or Wherever I May Roam and it just pales in comparison IMO.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2190 on: December 15, 2022, 01:08:00 PM »
I've always enjoyed Enter Sandman.  Great song IMO.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #2191 on: December 15, 2022, 01:39:51 PM »
Any time anyone bags on Enter Sandman, I put this up:  https://www.dailymotion.com/video/xj3jkl

Metallica on Jools Holland, 2008.  The format is that all the bands (usually five) are in a roundtable and Jools moves from band to band.  Nine times out of ten, the other bands just sit quietly while the band who's playing, plays.  Here, they pan around the room and every other band is dancing, singing along and even, if memory services, playing along.  They lit the place up.

"Dumbed down" or not, it moves.

Offline dparrott

« Reply #2192 on: December 15, 2022, 01:42:16 PM »
I still like it because it's one of the only Metallica songs I can play  :lol
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #2193 on: December 15, 2022, 01:46:30 PM »
Any time anyone bags on Enter Sandman, I put this up:  https://www.dailymotion.com/video/xj3jkl

Metallica on Jools Holland, 2008.  The format is that all the bands (usually five) are in a roundtable and Jools moves from band to band.  Nine times out of ten, the other bands just sit quietly while the band who's playing, plays.  Here, they pan around the room and every other band is dancing, singing along and even, if memory services, playing along.  They lit the place up.

Argumentum ad populum.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2194 on: December 15, 2022, 02:10:53 PM »

Argumentum ad populum.

No, it's good because it serves the purpose that art is intended to:  communicate and connect between people.  VV Brown's music is about as far as you can get from Metallica, and yet she was voicing every word.  Somehow, this biker dude from San Francisco and his Danish buddy connected on a visceral level with an English rapper, an English indie singer-songwriter, an Americana singer from Neptune, New Jersey, and a French chanteuse (the other guests on that day, excluding Kings of Leon).

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #2195 on: December 15, 2022, 03:59:12 PM »

I pretty much hate Sandman but that's got a bunch of energy.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #2196 on: December 15, 2022, 05:56:02 PM »

Argumentum ad populum.

No, it's good because it serves the purpose that art is intended to:  communicate and connect between people.  VV Brown's music is about as far as you can get from Metallica, and yet she was voicing every word.  Somehow, this biker dude from San Francisco and his Danish buddy connected on a visceral level with an English rapper, an English indie singer-songwriter, an Americana singer from Neptune, New Jersey, and a French chanteuse (the other guests on that day, excluding Kings of Leon).

I'm not really sure what point you're making.  You said that, whenever someone bags on Sandman, you point to the video of Metallica's performance of the song on some TV show.  Consistent with pretty much every TV show ever where a musical group performed a song, the audience was into it.  And apparently other artists were on the show and they were also into it.  OK... but...???  The popularity and success of the song aren't in dispute, but your point in responding to people bagging on the song seems to be that lots of folks like it.  Also, the fact that other artists on the show behaved like they were into it doesn't necessarily mean they actually like the song.  They could have been feigning for the cameras.  Not saying they were, but it's certainly possible.  Heck, if I had been there, I might have acted into it (I don't think it's a BAD song by any means).

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2197 on: December 15, 2022, 11:57:02 PM »
That video doesn't really show the audience being as into it as you remember, Stadler. Couple of shots of an alluring lady and one of a chap but that was it. Could absolutely have been the appallingly low resolution, though. That said, I do honestly remember them going down very well on Jools Holland so the video doesn't quite tally with my memory, either. Also, they skipped the bloody breakdown! :huh:

But Sandman is a perfect pop/rock song. It's got everything: great building intro, iconic main riff, singalong chorus, hummable guitar solo, spoken groove-soaked breakdown and an outro that breaks down as it goes. Would I rank it in a 'tallica top ten? Probably not. But that could well be down to me being 18 when it came out and having heard it billionty one times in my life so far.

Bonus side note: life was never the same a couple of years ago after I found out Jools Holland's new year's eve show (it's a bit of an institution here in Englandshire) doesn't go out live. I mean, I should have realised that years ago but still :'(
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline billboy73

« Reply #2198 on: December 16, 2022, 07:20:23 AM »
Sandman is the perfect example of the antithesis of AJFA.  Take one solid riff and build on it to make the song, instead of having 25 different riffs in one song.  Starts with clean guitars, then builds, then the main riff is just a variation of the intro with the tail part, and move it up a step with the pre-chorus and chorus.  Simple and effective.  When I was a kid I loved it.  Obviously, it being played to death has contributed to me not liking it that much anymore.  King Nothing is a better version of Enter Sandman too (similar sound and structure) :coolio

I think it's interesting to think about what if...   The band thought Holier than thou should be the 1st single, and management/label went with Sandman.  Maybe that song would not have been as huge if it were a later single, or maybe the black album would not have been as big if Holier was the first thing non fans of the band heard...

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2199 on: December 16, 2022, 07:57:49 AM »

Argumentum ad populum.

I'm not really sure what point you're making.  You said that, whenever someone bags on Sandman, you point to the video of Metallica's performance of the song on some TV show.  Consistent with pretty much every TV show ever where a musical group performed a song, the audience was into it.  And apparently other artists were on the show and they were also into it.  OK... but...???  The popularity and success of the song aren't in dispute, but your point in responding to people bagging on the song seems to be that lots of folks like it.  Also, the fact that other artists on the show behaved like they were into it doesn't necessarily mean they actually like the song.  They could have been feigning for the cameras.  Not saying they were, but it's certainly possible.  Heck, if I had been there, I might have acted into it (I don't think it's a BAD song by any means).

No, Paul.  No.  I covered some of this; if you watch Later...with Jools Holland, there are ALWAYS about five acts on, of varying levels of popularity.  They've had people who made their first appearance on TV there, as well as artists like Robert Plant and Paul McCartney.  As I noted, in watching probably 50 episodes or so, I can count on one hand with fingers left over the number of times the other acts did anything other than sit politely on their drum riser or on stools.  In fact, the only other time I saw a reaction like that was to Paul McCartney.  The audience here didn't do that with "Cyanide", the other song Metallica played, but when this one started, there was energy and excitement in the room.  It was PALPABLE (it should be noted, I saw that performance in real time; it's an hour show with probably eight performances over all).   

The point was, and still is, that while everyone's taste is what it is, and I'm not here to change that, the complaints about the song are just that, taste, and the song HAS transcended being "just another Metallica song", simple or not.   It's got that X factor that I imagine many artists would kill for, and that's the ability to connect people who maybe don't even want to be connected to. I took from that video that people like VV Brown and Nicole Atkins recognized something special about that band playing that song that wasn't common to every other song either they or the other artists performed.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2200 on: December 16, 2022, 08:02:27 AM »
That video doesn't really show the audience being as into it as you remember, Stadler. Couple of shots of an alluring lady and one of a chap but that was it. Could absolutely have been the appallingly low resolution, though. That said, I do honestly remember them going down very well on Jools Holland so the video doesn't quite tally with my memory, either. Also, they skipped the bloody breakdown! :huh:

Well, I noted this to PG; I saw the show in real time, so there was the hour build up.  Metallica played "Cyanide" (I think) before and it went over... okay.  Nicole Atkins (the alluring lady) got polite applause for an average song, as did some of the others.  Relative to what came before, that performance was an explosion.  It had so much energy compared to what came before...   I don't know.   Who was it that said "writing about music is like dancing about architecture"?  It's a feeling, it's an observation.  If others don't feel it, so be it.  I will still offer it up for those who aren't familiar with it.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #2201 on: December 16, 2022, 09:31:33 AM »
Of course it's all about tastes, and I think you're making a lot more of the fact that the people in that room on that day got into that performance than is warranted.  You also seem to be ascribing special importance to those specific people -- none of whom I've ever heard of -- being into it.

Again, I get that a LOT of people like the song a LOT more than I do.  It's a matter of taste.  We see it differently, and that's ok.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2202 on: December 16, 2022, 09:57:40 AM »
Of course it's all about tastes, and I think you're making a lot more of the fact that the people in that room on that day got into that performance than is warranted.  You also seem to be ascribing special importance to those specific people -- none of whom I've ever heard of -- being into it.

Again, I get that a LOT of people like the song a LOT more than I do.  It's a matter of taste.  We see it differently, and that's ok.

Well, to be clear, no special importance to THEM specifically, just that they are diverse.  I know for me, more than many here, I love the way music CONNECTS. One of the things I love about Taylor Swift is that she writes songs that people of all ages and genders can get into. That's not something that can be dismissed with argumentum ad populum.  There's a specific talent there that not many people ever have, no matter how well they can play their instrument.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #2203 on: December 16, 2022, 11:36:25 AM »

Well, to be clear, no special importance to THEM specifically, just that they are diverse.  I know for me, more than many here, I love the way music CONNECTS. One of the things I love about Taylor Swift is that she writes songs that people of all ages and genders can get into. That's not something that can be dismissed with argumentum ad populum.  There's a specific talent there that not many people ever have, no matter how well they can play their instrument.

That's all incredibly fair.  This song connected with lots of people.  It was on their most commercially successful album and one of the most successful albums of all time.  I don't think Metallica sold out.  I really don't.  But they did exactly what they should have done had that been their intent and, to me, it was a huge regression.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2204 on: December 16, 2022, 11:56:13 AM »
Friendly reminder from LA, this is streaming! I'll be there!

I found a schedule (in PST):

5:30 Red Carpet Event
6:00 Jimmy Kimmel Intro
6:20 Greta Van Fleet
7:20 Metallica Set 1 (rumored acoustic set)
8:00 WHAT THE FUTURE HOLDS (whatever that means, maybe some news about the new album?)
8:10 Metallica Set 2 (rumored electric set)