Author Topic: Just had my first hot meal in 3 weeks  (Read 1743 times)

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
Just had my first hot meal in 3 weeks
« on: October 13, 2011, 01:27:53 AM »
And damn it feels good! I've been eating beans for breakfast and tuna sandwiches for dinner for the last 3 weeks because I don't like the food of the rig I'm working at so I'm only requesting they bring me canned shtik.
So today some local friend was leaving for his field break and I told him to take to the nearest town with a resturant (that was 2 hours away) but I ate :)
I had soup before my meal!! I ate two entrees as if to keep the other one for tomorrow like a camel  :facepalm:
Lucky day  :tup
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
Re: Just had my first hot meal in 3 weeks
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2011, 01:36:23 AM »
What god-forsaken culinary shithole have you ended up in dude? Also, I'll see if Taco Cabana makes MREs.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2011, 01:57:04 AM »
My palate and stomach cry for you.

Here, maybe these will help.......

Biscuits and gravy, fried egg, and bacon...

Slow smoked  BBQ ribs with a bourbon BBQ sauce...

Braised lamb shank with a wild mushroom rissotto...

Bone in grilled NY steak with baked potato and fried onion strings...

Hope that helped you out. :biggrin:

• DT.net Member
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2011, 01:58:41 AM »
Pic #4: Mmmmm baked potato risotto ;)
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2011, 02:01:29 AM »
Pic #4: Mmmmm baked potato risotto ;)

What do you mean?  ;)

• DT.net Member
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2011, 02:03:30 AM »
Sly bastid.  :lol

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2011, 05:38:32 AM »
Is the food really that bad?

The food I had on the couple of rigs I worked on was awesome.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2011, 06:29:57 AM »
Oh dude it's horrible here. Even the rigs in Egypt had much better food and variety.

What god-forsaken culinary shithole have you ended up in dude? Also, I'll see if Taco Cabana makes MREs.

I work at an oil rig where I stay for 28 days and then off for what oilfielders call field break then back and so on.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2011, 06:34:20 AM »

Bone in grilled NY steak with baked potato and fried onion strings...

That's uhh.. just uh.. plain evil to show me that   :lol

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2011, 08:21:51 AM »
I figured they'd be like submarines, where providing the best food around is what keeps people from hanging themselves from their bunks. 

Out of curiosity, do you dig on swine?  Obviously not in the desert, but in the rest of the world.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2011, 08:24:14 AM »
Oh dude it's horrible here. Even the rigs in Egypt had much better food and variety.
Where are you at the moment?

The best rig I ever went on (out of the whole two), provided a big basket of shortbread for everyone to take when the cafeteria was closed.

Good thing that place had so many steep stairs. I think I would have gained about a good 2 or 3 stone without them :lol

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2011, 09:32:39 AM »
:lol
I'm at an onshore rig in the desert of Abu Dhabi UAE.

Out of curiosity, do you dig on swine?  Obviously not in the desert, but in the rest of the world.

I don't really know, I only worked on rigs here and in Egypt.

Here's some rig pics:

With the crew on the rig floor.

Hanging out at the rig mechanic's workshop.

Again with some crew members.

Chilling by my camp room, it's #16 (I also have a rig site room cause I'm one of the 3 people permitted to sleep on location since I'm on call 24 hours)

Suffering a severe case of cool.

A year later: suffering a severe case of fat.

This also double as my slide show entitled "My Gradual Transformation into a Whale" on Animal Planet, check your local listings.
Fuck I need to do something about the fat heh

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2011, 09:45:04 AM »
The question was do you eat pork, or are you strictly a halal kind of guy.

And watch Pulp Fiction.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2011, 09:51:33 AM »
Yes I'm strictly halal kind of guy :lol halal means kosher btw unless you used the Arabic word on purpose.
Religion or not; Sam Jackson's reasons of not eating pork are pretty damn convincing :lol
Oh shit I just realized that was your reference from the first time you asked, for some reason I thought your question was "Do you dig in swamps?" with "dig" meaning "drill" as in my language both these words have the same word in translation. Yeah that big meal made me slow heh

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2011, 10:03:14 AM »
Oh shit I just realized that was your reference from the first time you asked, for some reason I thought your question was "Do you dig in swamps?" with "dig" meaning "drill" as in my language both these words have the same word in translation. Yeah that big meal made me slow heh
:lol

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2011, 10:15:19 AM »
Don't you drink though?  Or is the pork thing just because they're filthy animals?
E.F. Benson

Offline Aramatheis

• The lighter's dead
  • DTF.org Member
  • and the gas has been cut off
« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2011, 10:23:38 AM »
Good thing that place had so many steep stairs. I think I would have gained about a good 2 or 3 stone without them :lol
stone
I didn't know people still used that term

I figured they'd be like submarines, where providing the best food around is what keeps people from hanging themselves from their bunks. 

You'd think, eh?
A friend of mine worked up in Alberta (Canada) in a similar situation. He said he had really good food for supper (as much as anyone wanted; steaks, porkchops, lobster, shrimp, etc) but they got shit all for breakfast and lunch. (lunch was a sandwhich; two pieces of bread and a tiny slice of lunchmeat)

He eventually just started sneaking food to his room from supper, and saving it for lunch
« Last Edit: October 13, 2011, 11:02:40 AM by Aramatheis »

Offline slycordinator

« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2011, 11:01:35 AM »
Don't you drink though?  Or is the pork thing just because they're filthy animals?
Knowing plenty of Muslim classmates and a couple coworkers here and there, I can safely say that it's common to find ones who will only adhere to the banning of pork portion of halal rules.

Yes I'm strictly halal kind of guy :lol halal means kosher btw unless you used the Arabic word on purpose.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the Koran say that all sea creatures are halal? Although I do recall how some interpret the rule only applying to fish being halal. On the other hand, kosher laws make it pretty explicit that stuff like shrimp are not kosher.

So they're not totally synonymous. ;)

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2011, 11:12:08 AM »

I drink beer occasionally but normally shouldn't. I just like it with crazy spicy buffalo wild wings cause soda doesn't really help in that occasion.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the Koran say that all sea creatures are halal? Although I do recall how some interpret the rule only applying to fish being halal. On the other hand, kosher laws make it pretty explicit that stuff like shrimp are not kosher.

So they're not totally synonymous. ;)

Actually you got me there I didn't know shrimps are not kosher! You're right all fish is halal. You can eat anything whatsoever but pork.

Knowing plenty of Muslim classmates and a couple coworkers here and there, I can safely say that it's common to find ones who will only adhere to the banning of pork portion of halal rules.

I do kinda fall under that category except I really find drinking alcohol for good times a complete mystery to me. Tastes like shit and drunk is a state of "not being all there" which I really can't find the joy in. I'm an herbal guy.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2011, 11:17:15 AM »

Another thing to add here is that some of these people believe alcohol is not totally banned since the exact verse that bans it says "Do not pray while drunk" so they think it's okay as long as you don't deal with God while drunk at all. Of course the strict my-beard-is-the-shit! guys will tell you no that's an attempt to play around the rule.

Offline slycordinator

« Reply #20 on: October 13, 2011, 11:57:45 AM »
Actually you got me there I didn't know shrimps are not kosher! You're right all fish is halal. You can eat anything whatsoever but pork.
Shrimp was just an example. Jews are only allowed to eat seafood which has both fins and scales. So there are fish that aren't kosher as well. And there are other meats that would be halal that aren't kosher either.

I do kinda fall under that category except I really find drinking alcohol for good times a complete mystery to me. Tastes like shit and drunk is a state of "not being all there" which I really can't find the joy in. I'm an herbal guy.
There's a big difference between consuming alcohol and consuming it to the point of being drunk and there are PLENTY of good tasting alcoholic beverages. I don't drink often or very much in any sitting but man, give me a good wine, scotch, vodka, or cognac and I'm a happy camper.

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #21 on: October 13, 2011, 02:11:13 PM »
enjoy a nice meal Metty...all the best
"its so relieving to know that your leaving as soon as you get paid, Its so relaxing to know that your asking now that you got your way"