Author Topic: The Metallica Thread v. Reloaded  (Read 387262 times)

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
Re: The Metallica Thread v. Reloaded
« Reply #2205 on: July 01, 2016, 10:35:49 AM »
Can we just turn the page on this?

I just got that.   Well played, sir.   I have no remorse for where I have taken this thread.   

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2206 on: July 01, 2016, 10:40:02 AM »
DEATH MAGNETIC

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #2207 on: July 01, 2016, 10:45:36 AM »
Serious question:  does anyone know what that title actually means?

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2208 on: July 01, 2016, 10:51:28 AM »

Basically - the Death Magnetic artwork is a Big coffin sized magnet in a grave and the dirt above is arranged in a magnetic field.

It's about how Death happens to everyone and it's unavoidable.

But also it's about how some people tend to live hedonistic lifestyles and die early ( being attracted to death )

and how some people seem to live on and on and repel death.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #2209 on: July 01, 2016, 10:53:54 AM »

Basically - the Death Magnetic artwork is a Big coffin sized magnet in a grave and the dirt above is arranged in a magnetic field.

But also it's about how some people tend to live hedonistic lifestyles and die early ( being attracted to death )

And zombie too probably.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline 425

« Reply #2210 on: July 01, 2016, 12:59:54 PM »
Stadler, I'll reply to your post later today, but if you don't mind, I'm going to post it in a new thread and link back to the respective posts in this one in the OP. I think the discussion we're having is interesting, but it barely relates to Metallica anymore and is probably getting in the way of the Metallica discussion in this thread. Which is actually a more relevant thread than usual because they have an album coming!
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2211 on: July 01, 2016, 07:55:17 PM »

Also, it is a perfect anagram for Can It Megadeth. 
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #2212 on: July 02, 2016, 08:57:36 AM »

Also, it is a perfect anagram for Can It Megadeth.

:rollin
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline kipkjustm

« Reply #2214 on: July 06, 2016, 08:38:35 AM »
So exciting, it's been a long eight years! :metal

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #2215 on: July 06, 2016, 08:47:44 AM »
We have a date!

https://bravewords.com/news/metallica-set-october-release-date-for-10th-studio-album

I hope this is true, but apparently the source of all of this is a German tabloid called BILD which has a reputation for not being reliable.

Offline Onno

• Well, it's just entertainment, folks!
« Reply #2216 on: July 06, 2016, 08:52:16 AM »
That would be great. I wouldn't exactly describe Bild as a reliable source of information though. That tabloid is properly shit.

SebastianPratesi

« Reply #2217 on: July 06, 2016, 09:40:19 AM »
I'm curious as to why 'Lulu' is almost always completely ignored when it comes to Metallica's discography. Sure, it's sung by Lou Reed. But, Metallica is the band behind it, and they did spend time recording it. So, to me, the band hasn't been that lazy.

(Having said that, it has been 5 years since 'Lulu', so I understand the excitement behind new music)

Online Adami

« Reply #2218 on: July 06, 2016, 09:42:48 AM »
I'm curious as to why 'Lulu' is almost always completely ignored when it comes to Metallica's discography. Sure, it's sung by Lou Reed. But, Metallica is the band behind it, and they did spend time recording it. So, to me, the band hasn't been that lazy.

(Having said that, it has been 5 years since 'Lulu', so I understand the excitement behind new music)

Because all parties involved have explicitly stated that Lulu is not part of the Metallica discography. Honestly though, there were great moments of music in that album, sadly they didn't last terribly long. But if the new album has the production of Lulu and some fo the same quality riffs/grooves, I'd be happy. If they try to go all thrash again and get a DM style production, then I'm afraid I won't have any interest.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #2219 on: July 06, 2016, 09:55:42 AM »
Because all parties involved have explicitly stated that Lulu is not part of the Metallica discography. Honestly though, there were great moments of music in that album, sadly they didn't last terribly long. But if the new album has the production of Lulu and some fo the same quality riffs/grooves, I'd be happy. If they try to go all thrash again and get a DM style production, then I'm afraid I won't have any interest.

I'd agree with all of that.

Also, they have done a lot of other stuff since DM beyond Lulu (BM, Orion, TTN Movie), most fans just want them to put out a new album though.

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #2220 on: July 06, 2016, 10:23:10 AM »

I'd agree with all of that.

Also, they have done a lot of other stuff since DM beyond Lulu (BM, Orion, TTN Movie), most fans just want them to put out a new album though.

I wish they could afford to continue Orion. I had such a great time when I went to the first one in Atlantic City and I only really liked three of the bands there (Metallica, Avenged Sevenfold, and Volbeat). I have never had a better weekend than I did at that festival.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #2221 on: July 06, 2016, 10:36:20 AM »
I wish they could afford to continue Orion. I had such a great time when I went to the first one in Atlantic City and I only really liked three of the bands there (Metallica, Avenged Sevenfold, and Volbeat). I have never had a better weekend than I did at that festival.

Yeah, I heard it was a financial disaster for the band. I agree it sounded like a cool event and I would love to go to one, but I don't see it happening if they can't even break even.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #2222 on: August 18, 2016, 01:43:58 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhBHL3v4d3I

So there you go. New single.

EDIT:
New album is called "Hardwired...To Self-Destruct" coming out November 18.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2223 on: August 18, 2016, 01:46:38 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhBHL3v4d3I

So there you go. New single.

EDIT:
New album is called "Hardwired...To Self-Destruct" coming out November 18.

:metal :metal :metal :metal :metal

We're so fucked, shit out of luck  :lol

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #2224 on: August 18, 2016, 01:50:22 PM »

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2225 on: August 18, 2016, 01:52:38 PM »
The riffs are definitely the same style as Death Magnetic.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #2226 on: August 18, 2016, 01:53:33 PM »
I feel like Kirk has played that exact solo like three times before.

Other than that (and the lyrics, but that's never been their strong suit), I'm pleasantly surprised. Some great riffs going on, and James still sounds pretty good. The production is also a lot better than DM.

Not sure what I think of the cover, though, and some of the song titles sound quite un-Metallica-esque.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #2227 on: August 18, 2016, 01:55:44 PM »
I feel like Kirk has played that exact solo like three times before.

Other than that (and the lyrics, but that's never been their strong suit), I'm pleasantly surprised. Some great riffs going on, and James still sounds pretty good. The production is also a lot better than DM.

Agreed on all counts. I felt like I could guess note for note that Kirk solo while listening to it for the first time. Riffs are definitely DMish, but just sound so much better with what seems like, upon first impression, much better production.

Online Adami

« Reply #2228 on: August 18, 2016, 01:57:29 PM »
Production is great. Finally. Lars actually he sounds on top of the beat.

Pointless solo....but no wah!

And yea, bad lyrics.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2229 on: August 18, 2016, 02:01:27 PM »
I was just blasting it and my ears and head don't hurt, so that's a step up.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2230 on: August 18, 2016, 02:02:27 PM »
Song's pretty solid, the lyrics are just shit, but whatever, this is some pretty good metal music out of metallica... and yea, production is  :tup

Bet this would be fun live... any chance they play it this weekend?

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #2231 on: August 18, 2016, 02:05:15 PM »
I'd really love for Metallica to feel relevant but to me they just don't any more. It's like they've become a parody of themselves or something.

It didn't sound bad but nothing surprised me there at all. It's Metallica so I'll definitely get the album, but for the record, I'm not happy about it  :lol

Not a fan of either the album cover or title either.

Here's hoping (as always) that I'll be pleasantly surprised. I don't want to come off too negative about this though, I'm glad it's actually going to be out this year. Another album in the vein of DM will be fine by me as I enjoyed the majority of the album.

Offline Luoto

• Wandering midget
« Reply #2232 on: August 18, 2016, 02:07:39 PM »
Not sure what I think of the cover, though, and some of the song titles sound quite un-Metallica-esque.

The cover is probably a some kind of senile statement about the state of music industry, how album art doesn't matter that much anymore etc.

James once again shows the riffing talent, but nothing special otherwise.
Always too soon, always too late, always in between.

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #2233 on: August 18, 2016, 02:08:42 PM »
Also, a double album with 6 songs on each disc means we are in for some long songs  :biggrin: that puts a big smile on my face.

Offline Art

« Reply #2234 on: August 18, 2016, 02:10:57 PM »
The song is pretty cool, way better than i expected from them.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #2235 on: August 18, 2016, 02:11:30 PM »
Also, a double album with 6 songs on each disc means we are in for some long songs  :biggrin: that puts a big smile on my face.

Their website press release says nearly 80 minutes of music... So why the heck is it on two CDs?!  :lol

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #2236 on: August 18, 2016, 02:12:44 PM »
Am I the only one who found this new song really boring?

I'll stick with Death Magnetic, still one of my favorite Metallica albums. Maybe Metallica is no longer relevant to me but I'll still check out the album once it comes out. Gotta agree James' vocals are still on point though, he's the man.
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #2237 on: August 18, 2016, 02:18:16 PM »
I'd really love for Metallica to feel relevant but to me they just don't any more. It's like they've become a parody of themselves or something.

It didn't sound bad but nothing surprised me there at all. It's Metallica so I'll definitely get the album, but for the record, I'm not happy about it  :lol

Not a fan of either the album cover or title either.

Here's hoping (as always) that I'll be pleasantly surprised. I don't want to come off too negative about this though, I'm glad it's actually going to be out this year. Another album in the vein of DM will be fine by me as I enjoyed the majority of the album.

Pretty much this for me. I swear I'v heard this song.

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #2238 on: August 18, 2016, 02:24:16 PM »
Also, the swearing seems childish for some reason. Maybe I'm just getting old.  :D

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #2239 on: August 18, 2016, 02:27:54 PM »
I hope it's a double album because of few minutes too many over 78-80, and not because of self indulgent boring looooong songs.

Listening right now on YouTube, sound quality is good, and the song itself seems nice, it gives a feel of heard it all before but it's not bad... let's hope for the album!
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!