Author Topic: Steven Wilson v. To. The. Bone.  (Read 374404 times)

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
Re: Steven Wilson v. Title. Annoys. Many.
« Reply #1365 on: March 27, 2015, 12:01:54 PM »
Well, DT have a tendency to only play in the sonically worst places in Boston.

But yeah, I'm super-happy I see him at Berklee. It's one of the best-sounding venues in the area.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline ich bin besser

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1366 on: March 27, 2015, 12:14:12 PM »
Going to see Steven tomorrow near Frankfurt/Germany. It's the place where they shot most of the "Drive Home"-DVD/BluRay. I usually hate seated venues, but for this concert, I don't care.  :hat
Keep prog alive - see it live!

Meine Musikliste

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1367 on: March 27, 2015, 12:58:00 PM »

But yeah, I'm super-happy I see him at Berklee. It's one of the best-sounding venues in the area.

Yes sir it is.  Saw Porcupine tree there as well. Another place I love sonically is The Somerville Theater.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1368 on: March 27, 2015, 01:09:33 PM »
Yeees, right down the street from my place! I saw TFK there, great show.

Offline mabowe

« Reply #1369 on: March 27, 2015, 08:47:50 PM »
Got tickets for both nights at RAH, Flying from the US to see it. First time In London.  For some reason I think these shows will be bucket list worthy.

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #1370 on: March 28, 2015, 01:31:25 AM »
Damn, I wish I could afford to just buy tickets to London on a whim  :lol
Oh Jackie, always jumping to the most homoerotic possibility.

Offline Rob801

« Reply #1371 on: March 28, 2015, 03:14:20 AM »
Damn, I wish I could afford to just buy tickets to London on a whim  :lol
No shit right(?)!... Oh well at least I finaly found someone with a lower post count than me :-).
I've been a member for years but just don't post much and it can seem a little daunting when I see all these big hitters with 5000-20000 post in here :hefdaddy...

Anyway, I agree completely that it seems like a bucket list worthy and would be there in a heart beat if I could! Enjoy the shows mabowe!!!

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1372 on: March 28, 2015, 04:46:25 AM »
I've been a member for years but just don't post much and it can seem a little daunting when I see all these big hitters with 5000-20000 post in here :hefdaddy...
Don't let that hold you back.  Get in there and participate.

:djhef:
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1373 on: March 28, 2015, 04:52:53 AM »
The more, the merrier! :metal
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1374 on: March 28, 2015, 05:06:27 AM »
I've been a member for years but just don't post much and it can seem a little daunting when I see all these big hitters with 5000-20000 post in here

A lot of those posts are, well... I wouldn't worry, put it that way.

We managed to bag two tickets for both nights. Given that the shows were virtually sold out within minutes, I think there'll be a few very disappointed Steven Wilson fans out there, sadly.
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1375 on: March 28, 2015, 02:13:00 PM »

You are quite correct in assuming that a high post count indicates import and wisdom beyond age. In fact, many of us high-count posters are regularly contacted by the highest officials in this world (Obama, Merkel,  Gandhi) on all matters prog. For example, the successful assassination of Osama bin Laden is often attributed to our suggesting a perfect playlist of prog tunes to be played alongside the mission.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1376 on: March 28, 2015, 02:20:15 PM »
For a second I though I read Gandalf contacted you regularly.  :lol

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1377 on: March 28, 2015, 02:24:48 PM »
I have been, yeah, but only by Gandalf the Gray. Gandalf the White is apparently too wise for my advice. From what I heard he still listens to Dragonforce and thinks it's prog, sheesh.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #1378 on: March 28, 2015, 03:43:51 PM »
After a few weeks without listening it, fearing to burn it, I decided to replay HCE today. Damn, it's destroying my soul. Again.

I wish I had the gorgeous deluxe edition.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1379 on: March 28, 2015, 04:51:37 PM »
I saw the merchandise link on FB today. I dunno, I wish bands didn't just slap the album cover on a black shirt and call it a day.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1380 on: March 28, 2015, 04:55:56 PM »
Especially an album cover as ugly as this one. :lol :lol

I love HCE, but man oh man, that is one ugly cover.

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #1381 on: March 28, 2015, 05:02:21 PM »

Eh it's probably one his best yet actually  ::)

Offline Mladen

« Reply #1382 on: March 28, 2015, 05:05:21 PM »
I really don't like the cover neither. It's weird when someone's best album has their worst cover art.  :lol

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1383 on: March 28, 2015, 06:06:12 PM »

Eh it's probably one his best yet actually  ::)
I don't know, Insurgentes is pretty sweet. But HCE is a great cover and probably second.

Offline ich bin besser

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1384 on: March 28, 2015, 06:07:30 PM »
Funny thing in Neu-Isenburg tonight: Steven messed up the beginning of "Routine" and immediately stopped the song. A second attempt ended as fast as the first one - mostly because Nick, Adam and Marco were making fun of him.  ;D Too bad we most likely will never see any footage...
Routine, Index and The Raven... were my highlights. Fantastic gig - as expected.  :tup :tup
Keep prog alive - see it live!

Meine Musikliste

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #1385 on: March 28, 2015, 07:00:35 PM »
Insurgentes is probably my favorite cover of his solo albums. HCE is not good, and while I like a lot of the Raven artwork in the limited deluxe edition, he picked probably the ugliest one for the actual cover. Grace one is kinda nice, but doesn't stick out much.

Offline PolarizeMe

« Reply #1386 on: March 28, 2015, 07:37:29 PM »
Maybe it's subjective to say that the cover for HCE is the best/worst one yet, but I think the artwork/photography for it is one of his best yet. Especially some of the photos inside the special edition version. Insurgentes is probably my favorite of the four album covers as well. There's something dark and unsettling about SW in a gas mask gracing the album cover that draws me in.

IDK about how the rest of you feel, but Routine is my favorite song off of HCE followed by Ancestral and Happy Returns. Especially when the whole band comes crashing in after that piano interlude in Routine before Ninet's solo part at the end, that part gets me everytime I hear it.

Offline XB0BX

« Reply #1387 on: March 28, 2015, 08:25:19 PM »
So after a couple weeks of listening to HCE I can comfortably say that it shattered my expectations. As a huge 70s prog fan and as a fan of Steven's melancholic side, I was very skeptical of this release. It's definitely more progish and melancholic than I expected it to be, and although it's more poppy and modern (two words I'm normally very afraid of) than his previous releases, the actual melodies themselves are EXCEPTIONAL. Maybe it's just confirmation bias. Maybe if I actually gave modern pop music a chance I'd like it. All I know is, Hand Cannot Erase is a 110% pop song and I LOVE it. Perfect Life is unlike anything I would ever intentionally listen to but it's GORGEOUS. The way Steven's voice is so... delicate and vulnerable when he begins his vocals for that song just gets me. So beautiful. Probably the first moment on the album that clicked with me. Happy Returns is just spectacular, probably my favorite song on the album. Every second of it is just phenomenal. The line " but I'm feeling kind of drowsy now, so I'll finish this tomorrow" gives me chills every time. I prefer to think MAIN CHARACTER is writing a suicide note and is going into a permanent sleep from painkillers. Gives me the same sense of utter sadness/utter happiness that Stop Swimming gave me with "the lift is painfully slow, so I think I'll leave by the window." Steven Wilson is just a phenomenal in a Canadian accent song writer. God damn, this album is too good for paragraph breaks.  The guitar part right after the "sorrow" line gives me chills every time. My only fault with Happy Returns is the infamous "trains" line. Seems very silly to me, but doesn't hurt my enjoyment of this perfect song. Routine is tied with Happy Returns as my favorite song on the album. The female vocals make this song. Brilliant melodies. The climax of this song is one of my favorite SW moments. Fine, I'll give you a paragraph break, but I'll give it in the most inopportune pl

ace. This entire album is full of nothing but brilliant melodies and moments. There were times on the 1st 2 SW albums that I didn't LOVE, but I'm in awe from opening to close with HCE, the chills never stop. The Raven was an album solely in the 70s prog style that I worship, and in December I would have bet my life that HCE wouldn't match up to The Raven's legendary quality. It did. It really did. This album is so good I don't even have the words

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1388 on: March 28, 2015, 08:37:02 PM »

Yes sir it is.  Saw Porcupine tree there as well. Another place I love sonically is The Somerville Theater.

Did you go to the show there with Fripp back in 2006 or so?

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1389 on: March 28, 2015, 08:39:38 PM »
2005  Yes I was there.  Man did they sound awesome there.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1390 on: March 28, 2015, 09:02:03 PM »
They did, until Steven blew his vocals out during Halo. Also the one thing I remember distinctly was when that asshole shouted "PLAY SOMETHING" about 2/3 through Fripp's....set.

Offline 425

« Reply #1391 on: March 28, 2015, 09:51:18 PM »
It's definitely more progish and melancholic than I expected it to be, and although it's more poppy and modern (two words I'm normally very afraid of) than his previous releases, the actual melodies themselves are EXCEPTIONAL. Maybe it's just confirmation bias. Maybe if I actually gave modern pop music a chance I'd like it.

I would say there's a good chance you would at least like some modern pop. Modern pop gets a bad rap from prog fans and from people over the age of 30. Some of it is deserved, but a lot of it isn't. If you care about strong melodies, and stuff like the song Hand Cannot Erase, you'll probably be able to find SOMETHING to love from modern pop. Personally, I try to be careful when judging music based on stylistic labels, because in my experience here are plenty of bad albums that are progish and melancholic and plenty of good albums that are poppy and modern. Anyway, there's that random diversion.

I'm four or five listens in to HCE by now (I'm really not one of those people who gets a new album and listens to it twenty times; I'll listen a few times in the first week and then usually will shelve it for a little while and let it come around), and I still like it. However, at this moment in time I would not rank it above The Raven... or my Porcupine Tree favorites. I still don't really "get" what SW is doing with the latter part of Ancestral. The first half or so is dynamite, but it seems to wander on and on and on thereafter. I may get it at some point, who knows. Also, like some others, I'm not wild about the "Download" part of Home Invasion. One of my dislikes of Steven's songwriting and lyrical style is that sometimes he writes material that is clearly meant as some kind of harsh social criticism that is often pretty harsh musically and lyrically. In the past, those songs have settled into songs with which I have a... "like/dislike" (not quite "love/hate") relationship with. My other examples would be Four Chords That Made a Million and Halo.

But overall there's a lot to love. I'm not as head-over-heels for Happy Returns as some are, though that could have to do with being fatigued after Ancestral's meandering. Routine is probably my favorite on the album; I love the dynamics and the use of Ninet's voice. In fact, the run from First Regret through Routine is spectacular. Then it takes a dip for me with Home Invasion for the aforementioned reason, and Regret #9 which is good but not as great as the earlier stuff. The quality level gets right back to a high level for me with Transience, which is one of my favorite songs and one that seems to me to be underrated in discussions of the album so far. I've already pretty much described my opinions on Ancestral and Happy Returns, and then Ascendant Here On is just an outro. Overall at this moment I would give the album a 7.5/10, because there's a lot that I really love but some stuff that doesn't cut it for me and makes the overall thing feel a bit too long. But that rating could easily change; I've had several PT albums start out with me having that opinion "a lot of greatness, but some stuff I don't especially care for: 7/10" that would now be 9/10 for me. Remember, it's only the start.

It's only the start.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #1392 on: March 28, 2015, 10:26:52 PM »
It's definitely more progish and melancholic than I expected it to be, and although it's more poppy and modern (two words I'm normally very afraid of) than his previous releases, the actual melodies themselves are EXCEPTIONAL. Maybe it's just confirmation bias. Maybe if I actually gave modern pop music a chance I'd like it.

I would say there's a good chance you would at least like some modern pop. Modern pop gets a bad rap from prog fans and from people over the age of 30. Some of it is deserved, but a lot of it isn't. If you care about strong melodies, and stuff like the song Hand Cannot Erase, you'll probably be able to find SOMETHING to love from modern pop.
Definitely. There are lots of art pop bands and artists that make some amazing catchy songs, with lots of creativity and smart songwriting - the kind of thing you won't see on the radio or at MTV :lol . I'm still getting into pop, but these are some albums that might interest you, XBOBX:

Susanne Sundfor - The Silicone Veil
Bjork - Homogenic (or Post, if this one feels too experimental)
Janelle Monae - The Archandroid
Destiny Potato - Lun (djent-pop)
Belle & Sebastian - If You're Feeling Sinister
Blackfield - Blackfield II (you might know this one though)
Flying Colors - Flying Colors
Devin Townsend - Addicted! (pop-metal at it's finest)
Fiona Apple - The Idler Wheel...

There's lots of amazing music that actually mixes pop with another elements, and not always it's crap. And even DT has pop influence, mainly in the vocal lines. James is a big fan of pop in all it's forms - just see his last solo albums.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #1393 on: March 28, 2015, 10:51:45 PM »
Perfect Life is still my favorite track.

Also the cover art is fantastic, no idea what you chaps are on about.

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #1394 on: March 28, 2015, 11:02:55 PM »
Perfect Life is still my favorite track.

This.

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #1395 on: March 28, 2015, 11:39:08 PM »
Yeah, I like the cover but the merch is a bit boring.
Oh Jackie, always jumping to the most homoerotic possibility.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1396 on: March 29, 2015, 04:33:36 AM »
They did, until Steven blew his vocals out during Halo. Also the one thing I remember distinctly was when that asshole shouted "PLAY SOMETHING" about 2/3 through Fripp's....set.

I remember that guy yelling that as well.  Tell you what, I sing in my car and I blow out my voice.  I can't imagine how singers get through a tour.  You really have to baby your vocal chords.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1397 on: March 29, 2015, 07:04:54 AM »

That big blur of pink or whatever color that technically is, is just very ugly to me.  Ruins the entire cover.  I like the idea behind the cover, but that particular color ruins it, IMO.  But hey, different strokes and all that, right? ;)

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #1398 on: March 29, 2015, 08:16:27 AM »
It's a fairly generic picture of a woman with paint smeared over it. There's plenty of "simple" covers that I like, HCE is just kinda average IMO.

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1399 on: March 29, 2015, 08:35:41 AM »
HCE is probably my favourite SW cover. I love the juxtaposition between the bleak woman's face and the screaming pink colour. Grace for Drowning cover is awesome too though.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.