Author Topic: What Shows are you currently watching?  (Read 222900 times)

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
Re: What Shows are you currently watching?
« Reply #3150 on: September 23, 2023, 08:06:48 PM »
:lol not quite, but I did hear more than a few people who were in that summer say that they heard David Chase had originally filmed Tony getting shot in the head but that it got cut because the owners of Holsten's didn't want that kind of violence associated with their family friendly establishment. Which it's just mind-numbingly dumb to think that my dad could have dictated how David Chase ended his show, but I think that was mostly people just not wanting to accept that that was how Chase *chose* to end it.

:lol thats actually awesome

That is; that's one of the coolest things I've heard recently, even if it isn't accurate (if that makes sense).

It really was a wild couple of months. From "holy shit the Sopranos location scout was in" to "holy shit they picked us" to "holy shit the mayor is trying to block their filming permit" (his wife was one of those Italian Americans who hated the Sopranos because of how she felt it stereotyped her people). Then the filming, which I was very glad to be home for spring break when it happened. Reshoots a month later where HBO ended up sending a limo to pick up my grandma in North Carolina and fly her home early from her vacation because she was a featured extra and they needed her for continuity for the reshoots. Then the rumors, both that they had recreated Holsten's on a soundstage to film the true ending beyond what we had seen and also that they had filmed multiple endings including some that weren't at Holsten's (which would have been awkward considering we had already started selling t-shirts :lol ).
Photobucket sucks.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #3151 on: September 25, 2023, 01:17:27 AM »
Bought something off Amazon and got offered a 30 days free trial of Prime.

Immediately went to Prime Video to catch up with some stuff, namely:

- Season 3 of Ms Maisel (loved it already after one episode. This show is fantastic)
- Season 3 of Jack Ryan (so, there's a plot line where Russia is being a bit aggressive creating skirmishes in Ukraine? boy, that aged poorly)
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #3152 on: September 25, 2023, 11:59:14 AM »
I don't usually watch TV shows. Like, at all - the last "new" show I started and finished was Game of Thrones. I usually just watch whatever episodes of Witcher or Wheel of Time or Outlander my sister wants to watch when I visit her, but that's about it. I know we live in the age of prestige television, but I don't have the time nor the inclination to catch up with everything worth watching from the past 10 years.

I never watched X Files growing up. Our only TV was in the living room, which also doubled as our mom's bedroom from 9PM onwards, and while she was tolerant of us watching more adult TV shows and movies, she didn't want to watch alien autopsies a few hours before she had to go to work haha. Started watching it because my husband wanted to watch some movies on Disney+ so we might as well watch something and hey! I just realized why everyone was all over this show back in the day :lol It really is that good. We started a month or so ago and I literally dream about it at night. I even tolerate how scary it is. That fucking episode with the roaches made me scream and hide behind my couch.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #3153 on: September 30, 2023, 06:27:50 PM »
I could've sworn there was a thread for Upload around here but I can't find it. I know we have discussed it. Anyway, I just learned that season 3 drops on Oct. 20th.

https://youtu.be/7dr2pEYI_R4?si=NwJGGTQuVUUyyIDt
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #3154 on: September 30, 2023, 06:49:14 PM »
I could've sworn there was a thread for Upload around here but I can't find it. I know we have discussed it. Anyway, I just learned that season 3 drops on Oct. 20th.

Oh good! I was worried it got cancelled. 
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #3155 on: September 30, 2023, 10:54:11 PM »

Oh good! I was worried it got cancelled.

Sweet! That’s a fun show! I’m guessing this would be the last season.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #3156 on: October 01, 2023, 07:25:51 AM »
Dammit my free Prime subscription ends on the 22th, gotta binge it to death  :biggrin:
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #3157 on: October 02, 2023, 04:08:31 AM »

- Season 3 of Ms Maisel (loved it already after one episode. This show is fantastic)
- Season 3 of Jack Ryan (so, there's a plot line where Russia is being a bit aggressive creating skirmishes in Ukraine? boy, that aged poorly)

Finished both shows.

Ms Maisel is just lovely. Can't believe how much I like this show, it's funny, sarcastic, whimsical and deep in some parts. If the quality of the last two seasons is the same, is gonna go down as one of the best series of recent years.

Jack Ryan.... eh, I can't say the same. It wasn't bad, and it was better than season 2, but something elusive (which I can't put my finger on) was missing. I'm not disappointed I watched it, but I'm not super excited either. Also I don't like how their world seems small, the president of Czech Republic personally enters the Kremlin? really? it was like last season when Jack Ryan punched in the face the fictional equivalent of president Maduro, random CIA guys don't really get to arrive face to face with an head of state.

Tonight I'm gonna start Good Omens season 2 and Carnival Row season 2  :metal

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #3158 on: October 02, 2023, 04:24:37 AM »

Finished both shows.

Ms Maisel is just lovely. Can't believe how much I like this show, it's funny, sarcastic, whimsical and deep in some parts. If the quality of the last two seasons is the same, is gonna go down as one of the best series of recent years.

Jack Ryan.... eh, I can't say the same. It wasn't bad, and it was better than season 2, but something elusive (which I can't put my finger on) was missing. I'm not disappointed I watched it, but I'm not super excited either. Also I don't like how their world seems small, the president of Czech Republic personally enters the Kremlin? really? it was like last season when Jack Ryan punched in the face the fictional equivalent of president Maduro, random CIA guys don't really get to arrive face to face with an head of state.

Honestly if you are on limited time, don't bother with this - season 2 was mostly boring and ended weakly (very rushed as they decided to end the show here - no season 3).  If you haven't watched it try 'Invincible'.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2023, 05:23:44 AM by soupytwist »

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3159 on: October 02, 2023, 06:44:12 AM »

Finished both shows.

Maisel was one of the best shows I've watched in a long time, and I'd argue that it got better and better with each season. Everything about that show was mint.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #3160 on: October 02, 2023, 07:07:16 AM »

Finished both shows.

Check out the Lord of the Rings series called, The Rings of Power.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #3161 on: October 02, 2023, 07:56:05 AM »
Jack Ryan.... eh, I can't say the same. It wasn't bad, and it was better than season 2, but something elusive (which I can't put my finger on) was missing.

The thing that was 'missing' was actual good writing. Such a rudimentary story....if I had to guess it was written by one of the producers kids who are in some high school writing class. Boring and predictable. First season or two was 'fun'.....this one was a yawn fest. You could even sense the actors were over it and could tell they were mailing it in.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3162 on: October 03, 2023, 06:47:22 AM »
The Sopranos....I watched most of the episodes during its first run.  The wife agreed to give it a viewing after 'Succession' ended.  Just finished Season 4 with the 'Whitecaps' episode.  Wow!  Little wonder that Gandolfini and Falco won Emmys for their performances in that episode. 

The next day I read axeman's comments  :tup
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline pg1067

« Reply #3163 on: October 03, 2023, 09:19:05 AM »
I've been watching a show called Younger.  Apparently, it was a TV Land original that ran from 2015-21.  The premise is that the lead character (Liza) is 40 years old and recently separated with an 18yo daughter.  She wants to return to the world of publishing but can't find anyone willing to give her a sniff because she's been out of the workforce for so long.  Therefore, she pretends to be 26 and lands a job as an assistant with a book publisher in Manhattan.  I started watching because it's an interesting premise, and I've stuck around because I really like the actress who plays the main character (Sutton Foster).  However, I'm now a couple episodes into the second season, and I've gotten to the point where it's become really unbelievable that of this woman could pass for a 26yo, and the show is using millennial stereotypes as a crutch.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3164 on: October 03, 2023, 02:05:52 PM »
A couple nights ago, my gf and I were struggling to choose something to watch and my gf was like "lets just watch some shit tv then" so we found a reality dating TV show on HBO Max called "Match Me Abroad" and it's about American's going to foreign countries to work with a match maker to find them a husband/wife and boy is this show incredibly entertaining because of how bad these Americans are  :lol What a self esteem boost.  But seriously, I'm getting a ton of laughs out of this show.  We watched 5 episodes that night and are now almost done with the show.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #3165 on: October 03, 2023, 03:20:41 PM »
A couple nights ago, my gf and I were struggling to choose something to watch and my gf was like "lets just watch some shit tv then" so we found a reality dating TV show on HBO Max called "Match Me Abroad"

Not to be confused with "Match Me a Broad!"
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline vtgrad

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3166 on: October 04, 2023, 01:36:17 PM »
A couple nights ago, my gf and I were struggling to choose something to watch and my gf was like "lets just watch some shit tv then" so we found a reality dating TV show on HBO Max called "Match Me Abroad"

When you're eating abroad, make sure not to come late.  Seating fills up fast, and you want to have a good seat.

Every time my wife and I are in Asheville NC, I make that joke when we drive over the French Broad river bridge or eat at French Broad Chocolate.
"Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter; Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man."  Ecclesiastes 12:13

Now with Twitler taking a high end steak of this caliber and insulting the cow that died for it by having it well done just shows zero respect for the product, which falls right in line with the amount of respect he shows for pretty much everything else.- Lonestar

Offline pg1067

« Reply #3167 on: October 04, 2023, 02:35:45 PM »

When you're eating abroad, make sure not to come late.  Seating fills up fast, and you want to have a good seat.

Every time my wife and I are in Asheville NC, I make that joke when we drive over the French Broad river bridge or eat at French Broad Chocolate.

:lol :lol

Offline T-ski

« Reply #3168 on: October 06, 2023, 01:28:19 PM »
Wife and I just powered through “Haunting of Hill House”. Loved everything about this show but the payoff at the end was really disappointing.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #3169 on: October 09, 2023, 06:37:40 AM »
Just watched the last season of Mayans M.C.   

It was good - no spoilers - but seemed a bit... I don't know if someone told Elgin James "this is your last season, wrap that shit up" but it seemed a bit perfunctory.   I would have liked a bit more on Lincoln Potter, like how did he dodge the bullet and what did he actually have (it was always unclear what EZ's role really was).   I would have liked a little more intrigue on the EZ story line.  Not really complaints though; it was very good. 

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #3170 on: October 09, 2023, 09:10:06 AM »
Finished season 2 of Good Omens. Great stuff!

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3171 on: October 09, 2023, 12:00:07 PM »
Wife and I just powered through “Haunting of Hill House”. Loved everything about this show but the payoff at the end was really disappointing.

Felt the same way

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #3172 on: October 11, 2023, 02:55:02 AM »
Only Murders in the Building.  4 episodes in and on the verge of giving up - just not for me I feel.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3173 on: October 11, 2023, 06:52:42 AM »
Only Murders in the Building.  4 episodes in and on the verge of giving up - just not for me I feel.

Why?  I'm curious, because I hear all these accolades and yet the clips that I've seen didn't do much for me. I'm not the hugest Martin Short fan, and while I love Steve Martin, when he gets too silly, I lose interest quickly.

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #3174 on: October 11, 2023, 08:00:51 AM »

Why?  I'm curious, because I hear all these accolades and yet the clips that I've seen didn't do much for me. I'm not the hugest Martin Short fan, and while I love Steve Martin, when he gets too silly, I lose interest quickly.

The reason I haven't watched it till now is I thought it might be a slapstick/broad comedy,  however it's certainly not that!  But I simply want a good murder mystery show - and 4 episodes in it's more interested in showing me melodrama of the 3 characters lives, which I don't care about.  Also having Sting (The Police) playing Sting (badly) grated on me.  I'll probably stick out the first season as it's not awful and the episodes are short.

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3175 on: October 11, 2023, 09:51:34 AM »
The murders take a back seat to the characters' growth and interactions.  So, if you're in it for the murder mystery aspect only, I think you'll be disappointed. 

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3176 on: October 11, 2023, 09:59:45 AM »

The reason I haven't watched it till now is I thought it might be a slapstick/broad comedy,  however it's certainly not that!  But I simply want a good murder mystery show - and 4 episodes in it's more interested in showing me melodrama of the 3 characters lives, which I don't care about.  Also having Sting (The Police) playing Sting (badly) grated on me.  I'll probably stick out the first season as it's not awful and the episodes are short.

Are you starting from season 1?  I'm struggling with the new season to have any interest in it.  I thought the first season was pretty good, second good but a drop off, and now I'm not really that interested in this final season after watching the first four or so episodes.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #3177 on: October 11, 2023, 11:15:22 PM »
Sorry soupy, I do love you as a member of this community. And I’m glad you’re here. But admit it…you’re a bit of a “negative Nancy” on a lot of things.

It’s cool. Maybe you’re just incredibly picky, and if that’s the case, more power to you.

But Only Murders in the Building is classic comedy born out of a friendship between two guys that love a certain style of comedy that tends to be a bit “in-joke” on show business culture. (Sometimes they lampoon Hollywood, other times Broadway…but it’s all a big send up).

Selena Gomez is a bit of an “odd man out” and you can’t help but wonder if she was brought on just to attract a younger audience, but the end result was that they seem to work well together. So it ends up working.  But it’s Martin and Martin who truly shine.

The whole thing kinda reminds me about the story about how they first met in real life.

Martin Short apparently walked into Steve’s house, met him for the first time, noticed a huge collection of incredibly expensive and high end paintings and art collection and said, “How did you get so rich? Because I’ve seen your work and……eh.” 

They became instant friends. The show feels like an extension of that friendship.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #3178 on: October 12, 2023, 04:40:42 AM »
I like Only Murders, it's a fun show.

I'm also into season 4 of The Amazing Mrs Maisel, it's basically becoming my comfort show, it's so nice to escape into the little absurdities of this world. I'm gonna savor this one, I'm not gonna rush to get to the end.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3179 on: October 12, 2023, 06:55:56 AM »
Sorry soupy, I do love you as a member of this community. And I’m glad you’re here. But admit it…you’re a bit of a “negative Nancy” on a lot of things.

It’s cool. Maybe you’re just incredibly picky, and if that’s the case, more power to you.

But Only Murders in the Building is classic comedy born out of a friendship between two guys that love a certain style of comedy that tends to be a bit “in-joke” on show business culture. (Sometimes they lampoon Hollywood, other times Broadway…but it’s all a big send up).

Selena Gomez is a bit of an “odd man out” and you can’t help but wonder if she was brought on just to attract a younger audience, but the end result was that they seem to work well together. So it ends up working.  But it’s Martin and Martin who truly shine.

The whole thing kinda reminds me about the story about how they first met in real life.

Martin Short apparently walked into Steve’s house, met him for the first time, noticed a huge collection of incredibly expensive and high end paintings and art collection and said, “How did you get so rich? Because I’ve seen your work and……eh.” 

They became instant friends. The show feels like an extension of that friendship.

Full disclosure I haven't watched the show, but in defense of Soupy, that doesn't appeal to everyone.  I am REALLY picky with that kind of approach; it's too easy to devolve into smug backslapping, and as much as I love Steve Martin, those two together have, for me, the potential to not just slide into smug backslapping, but to barge right in and fuck it on the living room floor.  Martin Short is not the master of subtlety, and as much as they might have earned it, I'm not really into a vanity victory lap posing as a television show.

Again, I haven't watched it, but that's my fear.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3180 on: October 12, 2023, 07:01:53 AM »
Haven't watched it either, and Martin Short is the reason why.  I think Selena Gomez is probably an inspired choice for such a show, but I don't like Martin Short at all.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #3181 on: October 12, 2023, 07:32:55 AM »

Ha!  Probably a fair point. 

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3182 on: October 12, 2023, 08:39:30 AM »

Full disclosure I haven't watched the show, but in defense of Soupy, that doesn't appeal to everyone.  I am REALLY picky with that kind of approach; it's too easy to devolve into smug backslapping, and as much as I love Steve Martin, those two together have, for me, the potential to not just slide into smug backslapping, but to barge right in and fuck it on the living room floor.  Martin Short is not the master of subtlety, and as much as they might have earned it, I'm not really into a vanity victory lap posing as a television show.

Again, I haven't watched it, but that's my fear.

Yeah, I hear you on that.  For me, I've never actually found Steve Martin to be really funny, at all.  Those father of the bride movies as a kid that everyone gushed over never cracked a laugh out of me.  So this show being some sort of friendship thing, means absolutely nothing to me.  I just think the plot isn't really interesting at this point on the 3rd season.  First season was very well written and is a good story with some laughs along the way.  I don't find myself laughing in this last season and I don't find the plot interesting anymore.  My gf's been asking every nigh to watch it and I've pushed back, but we do really need to just finish it since it's the final season and I'm invested at this point anyway. I do stil recommend the show though because the first season is really good and I did find the second season enjoyable.  It's just run it's course IMO.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #3183 on: October 12, 2023, 08:59:38 AM »
First season was very well written and is a good story with some laughs along the way.

One of the best was the heroic speech from Steve Martin during the climax, with then the scene changing to how it was actually going  :lol

Offline jammindude

« Reply #3184 on: October 12, 2023, 09:01:03 AM »
I thought it was the final season as well…but it ended with a major cliffhanger. So I checked online, and it has been renewed for a 4th season with everyone returning.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude