Author Topic: What Shows are you currently watching?  (Read 222911 times)

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
Re: What Shows are you currently watching?
« Reply #2030 on: March 22, 2022, 07:54:09 AM »
Started Winning Time: The Rise of the Lakers Dynasty on HBO.  I really enjoyed the first episode.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #2031 on: March 22, 2022, 10:11:57 AM »
Started Winning Time: The Rise of the Lakers Dynasty on HBO.  I really enjoyed the first episode.

I found the style where the actors regularly broke the 4th wall to be somewhat off-putting.  It also felt like the director was constantly telling the actors, "you're not fucking saying fuck enough!  Say 'fuck' and 'shit' at least three fucking times in every fucking sentence!"  It seemed like they were trying too hard.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2032 on: March 22, 2022, 11:45:20 AM »

I found the style where the actors regularly broke the 4th wall to be somewhat off-putting.  It also felt like the director was constantly telling the actors, "you're not fucking saying fuck enough!  Say 'fuck' and 'shit' at least three fucking times in every fucking sentence!"  It seemed like they were trying too hard.
I didn't get any of that from the show.  I don't have any problem believing they really did say "fuck" all the fucking time.  And the 4th wall thing is just a conceit of this show.  I thought it was refreshing change for a nominally nonfiction (albeit heavily fictionalized) show.  And it's not doing it just to do it; it's doing it to let the speaker give the audience info that the other people in the scene aren't privy to.  Pretty clever.

But if you don't like something, you don't like it, and that's that.  I know a ton of people loved The Office, for example, but I couldn't stand it.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #2033 on: March 22, 2022, 11:51:53 AM »
But if you don't like something, you don't like it, and that's that.  I know a ton of people loved The Office, for example, but I couldn't stand it.

I've never been a fan of picking apart tv shows or movies because they don't click with me.  I move on and watch something else.

The first season or two of the Office were amazing though, when the show actually featured a lot of topics that you'd find in an office setting.  Like the episode where they're renewing their health insurance.  Those episodes always outshined the episodes where the focus seemed to be the awkwardness of the situations created by Michael Scott, and you'd just get long pauses with characters staring at the camera.  That made me feel awkward while sitting on my couch, as opposed to finding it funny. 

Offline pg1067

« Reply #2034 on: March 22, 2022, 01:33:01 PM »

I didn't get any of that from the show.  I don't have any problem believing they really did say "fuck" all the fucking time.  And the 4th wall thing is just a conceit of this show.  I thought it was refreshing change for a nominally nonfiction (albeit heavily fictionalized) show.  And it's not doing it just to do it; it's doing it to let the speaker give the audience info that the other people in the scene aren't privy to.  Pretty clever.

It didn't work for me.  Maybe I'll give it another shot.

As for The Office, I think I've posted about this before, but up until about a year ago, I'd only seen a handful of episodes of The Office, all on planes.  It's one of those, "what's all the hype about" things, but I never found any of the episodes I saw to be funny.  There was one in particular where two guys went to go visit a client, and the driver's GPS told him to drive into a lake.  They sat on the edge of the lake debating for what seemed like ten minutes, with one guy saying, "you know, maybe we should trust the GPS; maybe it knows something we don't."  They ended up driving into the lake, and the obvious happened.  It was utterly stupid.  About a year ago, I watched the first season, and it was downright awful, so I haven't gone back.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #2035 on: March 23, 2022, 10:15:41 AM »
But the first season was just six episodes and it was a copycat of the original British version, while the second took a life of its own and became a vast improvement, that eventually set the foundation for what was to come.

The first season of The Office is When Dream and Day Unite, the second is Images and Words. Don't judge DT's carrer from the only album without James LaBrie  :D
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline crystalstars17

« Reply #2036 on: March 23, 2022, 02:49:05 PM »
The first season of The Office is When Dream and Day Unite, the second is Images and Words. Don't judge DT's carrer from the only album without James LaBrie  :D

While I'm not a fan of The Office, I can't help but smile at this analogy. 🙂

Offline The Realm

« Reply #2037 on: March 23, 2022, 02:56:08 PM »
But the first season was just six episodes and it was a copycat of the original British version, while the second took a life of its own and became a vast improvement, that eventually set the foundation for what was to come.

Totally agree. The Office is great.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #2038 on: March 23, 2022, 06:46:48 PM »

See, I love the British Office.  Big RIcky Gervais fan.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #2039 on: March 24, 2022, 06:35:35 PM »
Binged Upload seasons 1 and 2 in the past two days.

Really really enjoyed the show, but what a frustrating ending!
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline JediKnight1969

• Andrés
« Reply #2040 on: March 24, 2022, 06:44:57 PM »
Raised by wolves

Very good.
A daily dose of eMpTyV will flush your mind right down the drain...

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #2041 on: March 24, 2022, 07:14:14 PM »

Adami, please tell me you watched "Peacemaker."
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online Adami

« Reply #2042 on: March 24, 2022, 07:29:39 PM »

Adami, please tell me you watched "Peacemaker."

Oh totally. Talked about it I think. Forgot which thread. Probably the DC one?

Fantastic show!
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #2043 on: March 24, 2022, 08:05:12 PM »
I must rewatch. Such a fantastic 1st season!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #2044 on: March 24, 2022, 09:56:11 PM »

I enjoyed it as well but there best be a S3!
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2045 on: March 24, 2022, 09:56:54 PM »
Raised by wolves

Very good.

Agreed. It’s a bit odd at times though, but still real good

Offline crystalstars17

« Reply #2046 on: March 25, 2022, 10:22:00 AM »
Just started Downton Abbey. Enjoying it thus far.

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #2047 on: March 27, 2022, 10:39:59 PM »
Just did Station Eleven today, the whole thing. Was only planning on watching a couple and next thing you know, I've done the whole thing.

I almost thought they were going to rob me of what I wanted to see in that last episode and then they went and paid it off in the best way.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2048 on: March 27, 2022, 11:53:43 PM »
Just did Station Eleven today, the whole thing. Was only planning on watching a couple and next thing you know, I've done the whole thing.

I almost thought they were going to rob me of what I wanted to see in that last episode and then they went and paid it off in the best way.

Beautiful show. Top notch on all aspects

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #2049 on: March 31, 2022, 09:02:08 AM »
Since Star Trek is effectively dead I decided to start up Battlestar Galactica. Everybody seems to think it's great. I'm having a pretty hard time getting into it, though. It's not that the stories are bad, or problems related to being its first season. I'm just not really digging what they're doing. Aside from Adama and Colonel Tullius I don't really like any of the characters (in fact I hate a lot of them). Really, aside from those two the only thing I really like about it is the music and the cute Vietnamese gal (who's a total airhead).

About 2/3 of the way through S1 I decided to take break from it. Probably not permanent; I'd like to see it through S1, at least. Blew through Squid Game over two nights. Brutal, but very good. It was a great idea, and overall it was quite well done. I had problems here and there with it, but nothing too bad. Can't say I liked the final episode, though. They added an unnecessary wrinkle with Old Guy being the host, at the expense of an entirely different aspect that they completely abandoned. Really, neither Old Guy or the cop/Front Man aspect made any sense when it was all said and done. That said, they made up for it in other areas. The Marbles episode was absolutely gut wrenching.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2050 on: March 31, 2022, 09:35:16 AM »
Since Star Trek is effectively dead I decided to start up Battlestar Galactica. Everybody seems to think it's great. I'm having a pretty hard time getting into it, though. It's not that the stories are bad, or problems related to being its first season. I'm just not really digging what they're doing. Aside from Adama and Colonel Tullius I don't really like any of the characters (in fact I hate a lot of them). Really, aside from those two the only thing I really like about it is the music and the cute Vietnamese gal (who's a total airhead).

About 2/3 of the way through S1 I decided to take break from it. Probably not permanent; I'd like to see it through S1, at least. Blew through Squid Game over two nights. Brutal, but very good. It was a great idea, and overall it was quite well done. I had problems here and there with it, but nothing too bad. Can't say I liked the final episode, though. They added an unnecessary wrinkle with Old Guy being the host, at the expense of an entirely different aspect that they completely abandoned. Really, neither Old Guy or the cop/Front Man aspect made any sense when it was all said and done. That said, they made up for it in other areas. The Marbles episode was absolutely gut wrenching.

If it's who I'm thinking of, she was in that show "Human Target" which I loved, but which was cancelled after two seasons on Fox.

Online Adami

« Reply #2051 on: March 31, 2022, 09:37:57 AM »
Korean actually.

I saw BSG many year’s ago but remember loving it. I’ll do a rewatch at some point. Maybe it’ll be different this time? I dunno.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2052 on: March 31, 2022, 12:23:49 PM »
I enjoyed BSG but it took a rewatch of season 1 for me to actually like it.  My initial fist viewing of the first few episodes was very meh and i stopped watching before coming back some time later and starting over.  Then I binged the rest of the show because I enjoyed it much more than my initial experience.  This was like 10 years ago though.  I hardly remember much of it now.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #2053 on: March 31, 2022, 07:35:12 PM »
I liked Battlestar Galactica, but I think it definitely leaned to hard into the 'no one ever gets along with anyone' thing for plot drama. Like how many times do Adama and Roslin need to basically declare each other mortal enemies only to end up getting along again a few episodes later?

I'm also a crazy person who thinks Caprica was the superior show.

Online Adami

« Reply #2054 on: March 31, 2022, 07:48:10 PM »
I'm also a crazy person who thinks Caprica was the superior show.

I agree!!!!

You are crazy.  ;D
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2055 on: March 31, 2022, 09:25:00 PM »
I enjoyed BSG a lot. Thought it was pretty good and kept getting better as the show moved along.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #2056 on: April 01, 2022, 08:24:57 AM »
I enjoyed BSG a lot. Thought it was pretty good and kept getting better as the show moved along.
I watched two more episodes last night, and I'm still struggling with it. Normally I'd just assume that it's like most other shows where the first season is weak, but in this case it's not really the story that's the problem. I just don't seem to dig what they're doing, which is s shame. I'd really like to like it.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Online Adami

« Reply #2057 on: April 01, 2022, 08:32:10 AM »
I watched two more episodes last night, and I'm still struggling with it. Normally I'd just assume that it's like most other shows where the first season is weak, but in this case it's not really the story that's the problem. I just don't seem to dig what they're doing, which is s shame. I'd really like to like it.

Not everything is for everyone. I would suspect, however, that you'd dig this show, but I've been wrong before.

fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #2058 on: April 01, 2022, 08:56:20 AM »

Not everything is for everyone. I would suspect, however, that you'd dig this show, but I've been wrong before.
It just seems like there's never anything happy about it. It's all doom and gloom and barely holding on. I've got nothing against that, but for that to work you kind of need to have an interest in the people barely hanging on. I honestly don't care about any of them. I suppose I was wanting something a little more sci-fi, and this just strikes me as 24 set in space.
E.F. Benson

Online Adami

« Reply #2059 on: April 01, 2022, 09:01:27 AM »
You're right that there's rarely anything happy about it. It is definitely doom and gloom much of the time. I was able to care about most of the characters, but yea, if you're not connecting with them at all, then it's really just going to feel like a drag.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2060 on: April 04, 2022, 07:52:41 AM »
'Severance' on Apple TV is really...really good. I highly recommend it. The story is told in a pretty unique manner...the show definitely feels like it's own show and doesn't remind you of anything you've watched before really. Maybe a hint of 'Memento' in there but it's just a solid show all around.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #2061 on: April 04, 2022, 07:57:21 AM »
'Severance' on Apple TV is really...really good. I highly recommend it. The story is told in a pretty unique manner...the show definitely feels like it's own show and doesn't remind you of anything you've watched before really. Maybe a hint of 'Memento' in there but it's just a solid show all around.

I've heard a lot of good things about it, I'm waiting for the season to end and will then catch up on it.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2062 on: April 04, 2022, 08:09:50 AM »
What's the deal with that show with Jared Leto?  Any good?

Online Adami

« Reply #2063 on: April 04, 2022, 08:11:40 AM »

Haven't seen it, but I just looked at the last 12 years of Jared Leto and realized he was in one movie/one good performance in that time, which was Dallas Buyers Club. While I loved Blade Runner 2049, it was definitely not because of him. Beyond that? Dude has a lot of misses.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2064 on: April 04, 2022, 10:43:49 AM »

Haven't seen it, but I just looked at the last 12 years of Jared Leto and realized he was in one movie/one good performance in that time, which was Dallas Buyers Club. While I loved Blade Runner 2049, it was definitely not because of him. Beyond that? Dude has a lot of misses.

But he's hot, though.  He's Jordan Catalano!!