Poll

Do you miss Portnoy ?

Yes!
58 (26.9%)
No!
158 (73.1%)

Total Members Voted: 209

Voting closed: August 03, 2013, 11:49:06 PM

Author Topic: Would you like to see Portnoy back in Dream theater?  (Read 88090 times)

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
Re: Would you like to see... our secret holy place?
« Reply #910 on: November 18, 2013, 08:09:08 PM »
I'm not a huge fan of The Winery Dogs, but I'm glad Mike has found something that he may be able to stick with.

Oh come guys, nobody noticed this? :sad:

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Re: Would you like to see Portnoy back in Dream theater?
« Reply #911 on: November 18, 2013, 08:09:14 PM »
While I won't say "Get over it", fans opining for MP should move on because it is obvious that they are very happy with MM and in a good place now.
What's the point of a discussion forum if not to discuss things like this? People have various reasons for preferring one drummer over the other. It's not a matter of wishing or whining, just discussing. I have no idea who this neeto guy is, but I certainly know you to be more open to discourse. Telling people to get over it is a troll move, so I understand why you didn't want to say it. Still, the implication isn't much better.

For the record, I have no delusions about Portnoy returning; never happen. I still enjoy pointing out reasons why I prefer him, even if doing so in this forum is a wasted effort.

Discussions are cool and I totally get what some are saying but some actually believe that there is a chance MP will come back soon.  The band themselves seem to really enjoy themselves and have obviously moved forward and I think those pining for MP to come back should move forward as well.

That's all.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #912 on: November 18, 2013, 08:18:19 PM »
I'm not a huge fan of The Winery Dogs, but I'm glad Mike has found something that he may be able to stick with.

We noticed, but I don't think The Winery Dogs are gonna last that long. It still feels like a side project, and although it's Portnoy's main focus right I feel it is something temporary for the other guys.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline 1neeto

« Reply #913 on: November 18, 2013, 08:23:45 PM »

We noticed, but I don't think The Winery Dogs are gonna last that long. It still feels like a side project, and although it's Portnoy's main focus right I feel it is something temporary for the other guys.

Winery Dogs are getting a whole lot more of radio time than DT at my local radio stations. Hell, even my local karaoke bar has a few of their songs in their database... nothing from DT LOL! Definitely NOT a side project, those 3 dudes love to play music together.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #914 on: November 18, 2013, 08:25:31 PM »
While I won't say "Get over it", fans opining for MP should move on because it is obvious that they are very happy with MM and in a good place now.
What's the point of a discussion forum if not to discuss things like this? People have various reasons for preferring one drummer over the other. It's not a matter of wishing or whining, just discussing. I have no idea who this neeto guy is, but I certainly know you to be more open to discourse. Telling people to get over it is a troll move, so I understand why you didn't want to say it. Still, the implication isn't much better.

For the record, I have no delusions about Portnoy returning; never happen. I still enjoy pointing out reasons why I prefer him, even if doing so in this forum is a wasted effort.

There is nothing "trollish" about saying "get over it", especially if it's something as annoying as the MP drama. It's been 3 years since MP decided to move on, and he has now found a great home with the Winery Dogs (which I really enjoy BTW), and DT has embraced MM as a new member of the family. To keep bringing up "should MP come back" kind of topics every other month or so has become quite old.

With MP's current musical direction and drive, and DT doing great with MM, I see no reason why to want MP to come back. Except like I said earlier, for some sort of one-show reunion.
Sorry, I was unaware of the ongoing hostage crisis forcing you to read threads that annoy you. Godspeed with that. Hope it all works out.

I just don't seen any problem with discussing what people would prefer. This isn't an open letter pleading for him to return or be admitted back. Like I said, I understand that this is permanent, and probably best for both parties. As for the wasted effort, it has nothing to do with trying to convince anybody of anything. I'm simply making my own observations about why I think MP was a better fit. Plenty of people here will hear what I say and disagree with me. I enjoy their differing opinions. Others will never hear what I say and to those I refer to my wasted effort. Sadly, I think there are a lot of those hanging out round these parts.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Tis BOOLsheet

• Banned
« Reply #915 on: November 18, 2013, 08:36:22 PM »
It's a wasted effort. He won't be coming back and it's pretty obvious that it would take a totally unpredictable set of circumstances for the door to open up. Also, you are part of a very small minority of people who actually think that MP is a better fit for the band musically. Every fan outlet has shown that the vast majority of fans love MM and couldn't be happier with the switch.
What's "every fan outlet"? There are a ton of people who'd love to see MP back on Facebook and Twitter. There are ton at MP's website (once the "official" DT forum). Here is the only place I can think of that's overwhelmingly of the opinion that Mike should never, ever come back. And much as I like this place, we're hardly "every fan outlet".

The first thing is that at both of the shows I went to, the crowd went nuts when the band introduced MM and he soloed. After watching concert footage from almost every US show, it's obvious that this reaction was fairly uniform. According to the band, the crowds have embraced MM beyond what anyone could have hoped for. I believe them, having seen evidence of this myself.

I'm not going get into some of the negative stuff people have said about MP over forums, videos, articles, because I don't think a lot of it is fair or right. But almost everything I've read from ANY source (excluding MP forums, MP FB and MP Twitter) has shown overwhelming negativity towards MP. And if you have been following the interviews in which he's answered questions about the situation, he seems very reluctant to say anything because of backlash. I don't think the burden is for people to prove that most people prefer MM; I think it's been pretty obvious that is the case. Furthermore, I don't see any reason why this forum would be biased against MP-- this isn't the MM forum.

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
« Reply #916 on: November 18, 2013, 08:39:15 PM »

Are you referring to the subject?  :tup
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
« Reply #917 on: November 18, 2013, 08:40:19 PM »
:clap:

That was the only reason I even posted in this thread. :lol

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #918 on: November 18, 2013, 08:42:46 PM »
It's a wasted effort. He won't be coming back and it's pretty obvious that it would take a totally unpredictable set of circumstances for the door to open up. Also, you are part of a very small minority of people who actually think that MP is a better fit for the band musically. Every fan outlet has shown that the vast majority of fans love MM and couldn't be happier with the switch.
What's "every fan outlet"? There are a ton of people who'd love to see MP back on Facebook and Twitter. There are ton at MP's website (once the "official" DT forum). Here is the only place I can think of that's overwhelmingly of the opinion that Mike should never, ever come back. And much as I like this place, we're hardly "every fan outlet".

The first thing is that at both of the shows I went to, the crowd went nuts when the band introduced MM and he soloed. After watching concert footage from almost every US show, it's obvious that this reaction was fairly uniform. According to the band, the crowds have embraced MM beyond what anyone could have hoped for. I believe them, having seen evidence of this myself.
I'm not arguing with you; I fully recognize that I'm in the minority. I will point out though that I cheered Richie Faulkner's introduction, despite thinking that KKD is 100 times the guitarist he is. I also cheered for Doug Scarrett a couple of weeks ago, despite seeing him thoroughly outplayed by Paul Quinn. It's courtesy. It's not like anybody who goes to a DT show is going to boo the new guy.  :lol
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #919 on: November 19, 2013, 12:47:53 PM »
 I voted yes, because I miss his character and personality. But come to think of it, heīs in a much better place, making all kinds of different music. Even though none of his projects has been made into a full time band yet (give them time!), I really like most of his output - Flying Colors and The Winery Dogs in particular are great, PSMS has released a great DVD, and Adrenaline Mob has some good songs like Believe Me and All On The Line. They did put on a great show when I saw them, although the songwriting needed some improvement. Had they insisted on a second album with POrtnoy, maybe things would be better, but who knows, right?

Dream Theater, on the other hand, has gained a much needed breath of fresh air - which Portnoy himself admitted wa necessary, mind you - and are sticking to what they do best. At this point in their career I doubt they will do something really different from what they already do, simply because it would change their identity too much. It doesnīt matter to me, they are and always will be the band I go for when I need my prog metal fix.

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #920 on: November 19, 2013, 12:51:47 PM »
I'll bet he regrets quitting every single day! He lost the big audience and a lot of monetary compensation. Its probably fun being a musical starving artist for awhile, but I'm sure his income is dramatically lower.
I bet it haunts me that he lost his baby.
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #921 on: November 19, 2013, 01:04:22 PM »
One thing I miss from MP-era is that the albums we're more "versatile" and unpredictable with twists n shit.
ADTOE and DT12 have been pretty bland and not very memorable.  For me at least.

I Didn't like all the stuff that MP did.. The "growling vocals"  weren't my favourite, but at least they were something new. Something that I didn't expect to hear from DT. ADTOE and DT12  Didn't bring anything new to the table.

I like Dream Theater and I like Mike Mangini.  But I feel like the ship has lost it's captain.

Haha :D Peace!

Thing is, instead of adding anything new, they brought back certain elements.  Mixing their modern metal with the old melodicness of the first 3 albums.

I don't think he'll be permanently back. But I am sure they'll let him do some special shows...maybe playing the 12 step suite, or better yet TBOT live. And then double drum version of Metropolis.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #922 on: November 19, 2013, 01:08:30 PM »
One thing I miss from MP-era is that the albums we're more "versatile" and unpredictable with twists n shit.

I Didn't like all the stuff that MP did.. The "growling vocals"  weren't my favourite, but at least they were something new. Something that I didn't expect to hear from DT. ADTOE and DT12  Didn't bring anything new to the table.

I like Dream Theater and I like Mike Mangini.  But I feel like the ship has lost it's captain.

Thing is, instead of adding anything new, they brought back certain elements.  Mixing their modern metal with the old melodicness of the first 3 albums.

I don't think he'll be permanently back. But I am sure they'll let him do some special shows...maybe playing the 12 step suite, or better yet TBOT live. And then double drum version of Metropolis.

Cool setlist draft for the comeback tour, eh? 12 step suite, TBOT and ACOS...

Online Ben_Jamin

« Reply #923 on: November 19, 2013, 01:11:33 PM »

Cool setlist draft for the comeback tour, eh? 12 step suite, TBOT and ACOS...

Their 30th anniversary is drawing near.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #924 on: November 19, 2013, 01:12:28 PM »
  But I am sure they'll let him do some special shows...maybe playing the 12 step suite, or better yet TBOT live. And then double drum version of Metropolis.

Why would the band want to do any of those things?  Especially on a possible 30th anniversary?  The show or tour then would be all about the return of an ex-member, instead of on the band, and the current one at that.

Online Ben_Jamin

« Reply #925 on: November 19, 2013, 01:21:33 PM »
  But I am sure they'll let him do some special shows...maybe playing the 12 step suite, or better yet TBOT live. And then double drum version of Metropolis.

Why would the band want to do any of those things?

Why wouldn't they? Who knows what they might do down the line?

I'm saying at this point in their career, MM is permanent and I highly doubt MP will become a permanent member again, unless god forbid MM is unable to continue. 

I don't know about the 12 step suite, but The Best of Times would be nice.  But it won't be until later in their career, maybe they might consider something special like that for their 30th anniversary. I'm looking forward to hearing more Mangini DT, and whatever else MP has in mind.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #926 on: November 19, 2013, 01:32:44 PM »
I'll bet he regrets quitting every single day! He lost the big audience and a lot of monetary compensation. Its probably fun being a musical starving artist for awhile, but I'm sure his income is dramatically lower.
MP's not starving. He's already done alright for himself, but more importantly he's probably still getting royalties from half of DT's catalog (including plenty of lyrics). I'm sure they worked out a settlement so that they don't have to pay him every night they play TRoaE, but it was probably a nice check. Since none of the lawsuits ever came to fruition, I figure he was happy with the arrangement. I'll bet he made out pretty well for the AV7 stint, as well. This is not to say that he didn't take a hit, the steady stream of tour money must have been a big comfort, but I doubt he's regretting the decision from a financial standpoint.
E.F. Benson

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #927 on: November 19, 2013, 01:39:31 PM »
Well, I was going to post this in the "Are DT getting stale" thread, but it's locked. Still, since I spent 10 minutes writing the post, I might as well post it somewhere, since I don't think it violates the rules like the OP did. Anyway, it's also on topic enough here:

Are DT Getting Stale (Without Mike Portnoy)?

Here's my perspective: I'd say the last several Dream Theater records with Mike Portnoy were pretty experimental, in the sense that through that era the band often tried to mix more modern influences (Opeth, Muse, etc.,) into their formula, which is seen at various places from SDOIT - BC&SL.

This experimentation away from the usual DT progressive metal sound was always a little risky for the band, and often divided fans. Some people love the Opeth influences on songs like "Repentance" and Muse influences on songs like "Panic Attack", while others did not. Some still really liked the more "modern metal" approach of Systematic Chaos and Black Clouds, while others felt isolated by that sound. And so on.

Anyway, after Mike Portnoy left, it felt like the band really needed to take a breather and reflect on the last few years to decide what of the work t they'd done had been successful, and what hadn't. In my opinion, A Dramatic Turn of Events was really just that - instead of veering of into new territory, it simply contained all the best, most tried-and-true elements of Dream Theater's music through their career. In my opinion, it is the consumate "Dream Theater record" and exactly the record the band needed to put out at that juncture in their career.

That said, I am a little bit disappointed with DT12. To me, it's the same thing over again. I hear lots of DT sounding like DT, and lots of DT sounding like Rush, but very little of DT taking chances and challening themselves with their music.

Maybe I'll warm up to it with more listens. For now, I do like it, but while I'd say the band are short of "going stale", I sure do hope they mix things up a bit more and get back to dicing things up a bit.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
« Reply #928 on: November 19, 2013, 01:47:05 PM »
As far as the Muse influences, don't you mean Never Enough? I can't hear any Muse on Panic Attack.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #929 on: November 19, 2013, 01:51:19 PM »
As far as the Muse influences, don't you mean Never Enough? I can't hear any Muse on Panic Attack.
A couple of songs have the "Muse influence", i.e. that keyboard, arpeggio-driven sound. Never Enough, Prophets of War, Panic Attack are the three main examples, I think.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
« Reply #930 on: November 19, 2013, 01:57:23 PM »
Huh. I'm not the biggest Muse fan, so maybe that's why I don't hear it.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #931 on: November 19, 2013, 01:58:45 PM »
Huh. I'm not the biggest Muse fan, so maybe that's why I don't hear it.
Well, it's definitely there. I mean, Muse were in the inspiration corner and everything :P

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #932 on: November 19, 2013, 01:58:57 PM »
Anyway, after Mike Portnoy left, it felt like the band really needed to take a breather and reflect on the last few years to decide what of the work t they'd done had been successful, and what hadn't. In my opinion, A Dramatic Turn of Events was really just that - instead of veering of into new territory, it simply contained all the best, most tried-and-true elements of Dream Theater's music through their career. In my opinion, it is the consumate "Dream Theater record" and exactly the record the band needed to put out at that juncture in their career.

That said, I am a little bit disappointed with DT12. To me, it's the same thing over again. I hear lots of DT sounding like DT, and lots of DT sounding like Rush, but very little of DT taking chances and challening themselves with their music.

Maybe I'll warm up to it with more listens. For now, I do like it, but while I'd say the band are short of "going stale", I sure do hope they mix things up a bit more and get back to dicing things up a bit.

I agree with this 100% I liked ADTOE when it came out and i still do! But DT12 to me felt like the band has hit a dead stop. After ADTOE, i was expecting them to set a course into "uncharted territory". But DT12 feels like an even safer album than ADTOE, with very little new on the table. The album is fine and there are a couple of really good songs, but it just feels like they are afraid to experiment with something new.

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #933 on: November 19, 2013, 02:32:33 PM »
MP's not starving. He's already done alright for himself, but more importantly he's probably still getting royalties from half of DT's catalog (including plenty of lyrics). I'm sure they worked out a settlement so that they don't have to pay him every night they play TRoaE, but it was probably a nice check. Since none of the lawsuits ever came to fruition, I figure he was happy with the arrangement. I'll bet he made out pretty well for the AV7 stint, as well. This is not to say that he didn't take a hit, the steady stream of tour money must have been a big comfort, but I doubt he's regretting the decision from a financial standpoint.

I know he isn’t starving but he is making much less than he would be with DT overall. I’m sure he must regret it from a financial standpoint to some degree. He likes his lifestyle and it has been hampered a bit.

Plus, Mike loves the big audience to feed off of. Well I saw him with Adrenaline Mob in from of 150 people at Toads Place in New Haven, he looked disgusted and disinterested.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #934 on: November 19, 2013, 03:13:53 PM »

I know he isn’t starving but he is making much less than he would be with DT overall. I’m sure he must regret it from a financial standpoint to some degree. He likes his lifestyle and it has been hampered a bit.

Plus, Mike loves the big audience to feed off of. Well I saw him with Adrenaline Mob in from of 150 people at Toads Place in New Haven, he looked disgusted and disinterested.

He may have lost a chunk of touring profits, but I think his fortun should keep him pretty safe at this point, and maybe that was another factor in his decision to leave the band - since when was music all about money anyway? I bet it isnīt the case for him, and would argue that itīs not the case for the remaining DT members.

As for him craving a bigger audience, I think itīs true to a certain extent, but I saw him with The Winery Dogs playing on an uncomfortably small theater which fitted 500 people, and he looked happy about it.

Online Ben_Jamin

« Reply #935 on: November 19, 2013, 03:15:26 PM »
Well, I was going to post this in the "Are DT getting stale" thread, but it's locked. Still, since I spent 10 minutes writing the post, I might as well post it somewhere, since I don't think it violates the rules like the OP did. Anyway, it's also on topic enough here:

Here's my perspective: I'd say the last several Dream Theater records with Mike Portnoy were pretty experimental, in the sense that through that era the band often tried to mix more modern influences (Opeth, Muse, etc.,) into their formula, which is seen at various places from SDOIT - BC&SL.

This experimentation away from the usual DT progressive metal sound was always a little risky for the band, and often divided fans. Some people love the Opeth influences on songs like "Repentance" and Muse influences on songs like "Panic Attack", while others did not. Some still really liked the more "modern metal" approach of Systematic Chaos and Black Clouds, while others felt isolated by that sound. And so on.

Wait.....you have a problem with DT sounding like DT?

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #936 on: November 19, 2013, 06:03:50 PM »

He may have lost a chunk of touring profits, but I think his fortun should keep him pretty safe at this point, and maybe that was another factor in his decision to leave the band - since when was music all about money anyway? I bet it isnīt the case for him, and would argue that itīs not the case for the remaining DT members.

As for him craving a bigger audience, I think itīs true to a certain extent, but I saw him with The Winery Dogs playing on an uncomfortably small theater which fitted 500 people, and he looked happy about it.
Its just my opinion. I know people say its not about the money. Athletes always say it and then go for the largest contract. Its not exactly the same but I believe when you are used to a certain yearly income and its less it makes a difference. At least that's what I think.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #937 on: November 19, 2013, 06:10:43 PM »
I don't think you are offbase at all, Tick.  And it isn't necessarily a case of being greedy.  But let's face it, it's one thing to go into music when you are in your early 20's and want to do it for the sake of doing what you love.  It's a different matter altogether when you are a family man coming up on 50, with kids getting ready for college, and you have to think about the fact that you are self-employed, have no medical benefits other than what you are able to pay for, have no 401k or retirement plan, etc.  When you are in that situation, you tend to make decisions that are likely to take care of you in the future, and you tend to sweat any big financial decision because there is less time for it to "come out in the wash" if it ends up being a bad decision.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #938 on: November 19, 2013, 11:05:30 PM »

Why would the band want to do any of those things?

Why wouldn't they? 

Because it would be unfair to Mike Mangini to say, "Hey, we are gonna bring our old drummer back for a show or tour and dedicate an hour of each show to a suite of songs that is all about him."  It makes no sense.

As for a special or anniversary show, I am not even sure that would be a good idea.  Given Portnoy's tendency to want to be the center of attention, could he be trusted to not come back for said show or even one songs and not make it all about him and hog the spotlight on stage, thus making Mangini look forgotten or irrelevant?  Not sure about that.  I know they did it with Sherinian and Dominici at the WDADR show, but those guys left under different circumstances and the dynamic, post-departures, was not the same as it is with the band and Mike Portnoy now.

I don't know about the 12 step suite, but The Best of Times would be nice. 

I agree about The Best of Times.  It would be a shame if JP never got to play that awesome solo live, but I don't think it'll ever get played.  They'd never play that one without Portnoy, and I don't think Portnoy ever wanted to play it live, hence it not being played on the BC&SL tour.

One could argue that the band took a chance by releasing an album of mostly short(er) songs (by their standards).  Plus, songs like The Bigger Picture and Surrender to Reason, while both sounding like DT, sound very unique for them. I can't think of any other song of their that sounds like either of those tunes.  I am not gonna say that DT12 is experimental on the level of albums like Awake and 6DOIT, but it's not as samey and safe as you are suggesting, IMO. 

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
« Reply #939 on: November 19, 2013, 11:10:34 PM »
I agree about The Best of Times.  It would be a shame if JP never got to play that awesome solo live, but I don't think it'll ever get played.  They'd never play that one without Portnoy, and I don't think Portnoy ever wanted to play it live, hence it not being played on the BC&SL tour.

I know JP doesn't like to do it, but I really wish they could at least do some sort of a medley and include the ending of TBOT onto it, that way they won't be doing MP's song without him, but still playing that wonderful solo live. I honestly think that the audience would be very happy with something like that.
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #940 on: November 20, 2013, 05:51:42 AM »
I don't think you are offbase at all, Tick.  And it isn't necessarily a case of being greedy.  But let's face it, it's one thing to go into music when you are in your early 20's and want to do it for the sake of doing what you love.  It's a different matter altogether when you are a family man coming up on 50, with kids getting ready for college, and you have to think about the fact that you are self-employed, have no medical benefits other than what you are able to pay for, have no 401k or retirement plan, etc.  When you are in that situation, you tend to make decisions that are likely to take care of you in the future, and you tend to sweat any big financial decision because there is less time for it to "come out in the wash" if it ends up being a bad decision.
Very well stated, Bosk. I can also add as a 49 year old man who has prospered at times in life and struggled at others, the reality is you get accustomed to whatever income bracket you are in and your lifestyle follows suit.
When less is coming in it has an effect on you. Like you said, college and things of that mature are not cheap.
Now we all know Mike is a workaholic who likes to work 24/7, and at this point he will need to bring in the money.

I have to believe he greatly regrets letting his affair with AV7 end his marriage with Dream Theater.

I also wonder what his wife and children think privately about the situation?

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #941 on: November 20, 2013, 06:13:40 AM »
I have to believe he greatly regrets letting his affair with AV7 end his marriage with Dream Theater.

Totally agree with that, Tick. I think his whole point was that he wanted to leave DT on hold while joining A7X at least for one more tour/album, and the other guys called his bluff.

About his family's thoughts on his decision, I think his wife supported him, and he wrote a song called You Saved Me on The Winery Dogs album.

I would love to see a reunion show, provided that MP does not behave in a David Lee Roth kind of way, dissing other members and trying to make the show all about him. I think he should be able to manage that.

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #942 on: November 20, 2013, 06:33:23 AM »

Totally agree with that, Tick. I think his whole point was that he wanted to leave DT on hold while joining A7X at least for one more tour/album, and the other guys called his bluff.

About his family's thoughts on his decision, I think his wife supported him, and he wrote a song called You Saved Me on The Winery Dogs album.

I would love to see a reunion show, provided that MP does not behave in a David Lee Roth kind of way, dissing other members and trying to make the show all about him. I think he should be able to manage that.
I'm not saying his wife doesn't support him. That's why I said "privately". I'm sure her deep seeded inner thoughts are probably a little different than her outward public ones. You know what I'm saying?

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #943 on: November 20, 2013, 07:09:12 AM »
Yeah, ok...I guess his family was just as shocked as everyone else when he announced it. They might have a better insight on this because they know the innings of the band more so than us fans, but who knows, huh?

To me, as is the case with all breakups, it's never black and white. Think about the splits between David Lee Roth and Sammy Hagar versus Van Halen; Roger Waters vs. Pink Floyd and so on...each side has its share of the truth, and it's hard to judge based only on what goes to the press. And that works to MP's disadvantage in a big way, because he was the one who was most vocal about the split, so he came across as a crybaby one interview after the next.

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #944 on: November 20, 2013, 07:18:50 AM »
Yeah, ok...I guess his family was just as shocked as everyone else when he announced it. They might have a better insight on this because they know the innings of the band more so than us fans, but who knows, huh?

To me, as is the case with all breakups, it's never black and white. Think about the splits between David Lee Roth and Sammy Hagar versus Van Halen; Roger Waters vs. Pink Floyd and so on...each side has its share of the truth, and it's hard to judge based only on what goes to the press. And that works to MP's disadvantage in a big way, because he was the one who was most vocal about the split, so he came across as a crybaby one interview after the next.
I think in Mikes case its clear he dumped his main gig for a spring fling. He had visions of grandeur and AV7 had other ideas. He make a poor choice and now all he can do is live with it. The fact that he would go back to DT in a millisecond proves this point.

The sad thing for Mike, is Dream Theater is happy, and not missing a beat. Why would they go back to drama when they have peace and they don't need to? I'm sure deep down they have feelings for Mike, but that doesn't mean they want to work with him again.

I think the only thing that brings MP back is if MM leaves voluntarily and that seems unlikely.

but hey, what do I know?