Author Topic: Dream Theater: The Astonishing (now with moment of betrayal!)  (Read 1198008 times)

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
Re: Dream Theater: The Astonishing (now with moment of betrayal!)
« Reply #7420 on: January 26, 2016, 07:02:38 AM »
I wonder if the site has measures against potential fakes? I mean, can anybody just put a leak on that site and ask money from it?(and get away with it?). 
I didn't think it seemed a legit site for a band like DT.
It's a perfectly legit site in general, used by lots of bands and artists including some fairly big ones. Definitely a perfectly suitable channel for DT/RR to use if they wanted to. However, as ErHaO indicated, they clearly have very poor measures to prevent fakes. Pretty shoddy, really. Hopefully it is addressed quickly - the label is certainly aware of it now.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Another_Won

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Attest to the mighty river.Let the truth be heard!
« Reply #7421 on: January 26, 2016, 07:02:43 AM »
Damn, that sucks, especially if people were thinking they were supporting the band by paying trough that site. Kind of surprised this can happen with for an album of a well known band on a big website as *SNIP*.
Careful, we can't reference the site.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #7422 on: January 26, 2016, 07:03:54 AM »
It's a perfectly legit site in general, used by lots of bands and artists including some fairly big ones. Definitely a perfectly suitable channel for DT/RR to use if they wanted to. However, as ErHaO indicated, they clearly have very poor measures to prevent fakes. Pretty shoddy, really. Hopefully it is addressed quickly - the label is certainly aware of it now.

Oh I know it's a legit site for music, but it seemed an extremely odd outlet for a band like DT to do with their new album, especially without any official announcement.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Online ErHaO

« Reply #7423 on: January 26, 2016, 07:04:03 AM »
I wonder if the site has measures against potential fakes? I mean, can anybody just put a leak on that site and ask money from it?(and get away with it?).

I used that site for my own music. Of course you proclaim that you own the rights for the music you offer for streaming and download. But otherwise as far as I remembered there are no obstacles to upload music to which you have the MP3's...

Hmm, ok then. Well, let's hope it did minimal financial damage to both the fans and DT.

For smaller (indie) artists I can understand, but for the larger, signed bands one would think there is at least some kind of checklist in a database or something.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #7424 on: January 26, 2016, 07:04:53 AM »
Damn, that sucks, especially if people were thinking they were supporting the band by paying trough that site. Kind of surprised this can happen with for an album of a well known band on a big website as *SNIP*.
Correct, as it is providing pirated material in this context. Once it's been taken down, people will be able to reference it again.

EDIT: Looks like it has been taken down already. Good stuff, carry on.

I be am boner inducing.

Online ErHaO

« Reply #7425 on: January 26, 2016, 07:06:34 AM »
Correct, as it is providing pirated material in this context. Once it's been taken down, people will be able to reference it again.

:tup

Sorry for the slip.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #7426 on: January 26, 2016, 07:08:11 AM »
No prob, see my edit. :)

I be am boner inducing.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #7427 on: January 26, 2016, 07:12:35 AM »
And right as this is happening, the page came down in the last 5-10 minutes.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline emtee

« Reply #7428 on: January 26, 2016, 07:13:42 AM »
Well that sucks. We all got scammed.

I have to keep my comments to myself until Friday.

Offline noxon

• Fan Club Professional
« Reply #7429 on: January 26, 2016, 07:14:52 AM »
Good thing I had those label e-mail addresses handy.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7430 on: January 26, 2016, 07:17:58 AM »
::) ...

People can't wait a couple more days ? The album will probably be on Spotify or Deezer at Midnight on Friday.

I sigh when I see comments online that people are *annoyed* when a certain album hasn't leaked yet.

Why don't you buy it then ?! ::)

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #7431 on: January 26, 2016, 07:18:24 AM »
Is it really that hard to just stick to DT's official channels for information/releases etc.? Unless/until anything is said through those channels, it is not official/legit. It's a simple rule to stick to, really.

Offline BelichickFan

« Reply #7432 on: January 26, 2016, 07:20:28 AM »
I sigh when I see comments online that people are *annoyed* when a certain album hasn't leaked yet.

Because we can't buy it (and get it) yet ?  I think we've all bought it.  I would hope so anyway.  Doesn't mean we don't want to hear it a little early.

Offline Another_Won

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Attest to the mighty river.Let the truth be heard!
« Reply #7433 on: January 26, 2016, 07:22:01 AM »
As soon as I saw the link, I started listening.  I thought it was legit.  I actually feel a bit dirty now. :lol
« Last Edit: January 26, 2016, 07:31:15 AM by ariich »

Offline noxon

• Fan Club Professional
« Reply #7434 on: January 26, 2016, 07:24:28 AM »
But if you go to the roadrunner store, login, clock "download", it says that the preorder for the mp3s are for today. So maybe!

Offline r3d86

• GO BRONCOS!!
« Reply #7435 on: January 26, 2016, 07:24:36 AM »
I also want to know about those things JP said on Eddie Trunk's show, about the web and chance to follow the story, see characters bio, etc.

So HYPED!

Offline BelichickFan

« Reply #7436 on: January 26, 2016, 07:26:15 AM »
But if you go to the roadrunner store, login, clock "download", it says that the preorder for the mp3s are for today. So maybe!
That's cool, I have the CDs scheduled for delivery on Friday, though.  So Friday it is.

Offline Awaken

« Reply #7437 on: January 26, 2016, 07:28:07 AM »
As soon as I saw the link, I started listening.  I thought it was legit.  I actually feel a bit dirty now. :lol

Same here - really looked legit with the purchase option available.  Should have known better.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2016, 07:31:33 AM by ariich »

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #7438 on: January 26, 2016, 07:34:21 AM »
Yeah I appreciate that people might have assumed it was legit on a site like bandcamp (ok to name the site now by the way, as the page has been taken down). That's why I haven't handed out any bans. But RoeDent got it pretty spot on with this post:

Is it really that hard to just stick to DT's official channels for information/releases etc.? Unless/until anything is said through those channels, it is not official/legit. It's a simple rule to stick to, really.
At the very least, if it is NOT linked on a known official site such as Facebook, Twitter or the official website, people should check with one of the mods/admins before posting.

I think it's mostly a case of people getting overly excited, and also feeling cool about being the first to post something. Stopping to check first means you might get pipped to it by someone else. So I get it, though it's not a very good excuse.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline emtee

« Reply #7439 on: January 26, 2016, 07:35:00 AM »
At this point the label should probably just stream it. If they go to Youtube now they have their work cut out for them. It will be an all
day every day task to keep taking songs down.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #7440 on: January 26, 2016, 07:44:44 AM »
At this point the label should probably just stream it. If they go to Youtube now they have their work cut out for them. It will be an all
day every day task to keep taking songs down.
Streaming a few days in advance has become very common for lots of labels/bands, and indeed RR did it for DT12. I'm not sure how well it would work for a 2-disc, 2-hour+ rock opera though. :lol

But yeah, something like that, or starting legitimately selling the mp3s a few days early, are definitely options for a label in general. I guess we'll have to see.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Art

« Reply #7441 on: January 26, 2016, 07:51:06 AM »
I had bought it from "that site". As i am used to buying music from it, i never thought it would be fake. I will make a formal complain to the site for selling me pirated-stuff, thatīs a shame.

Offline RaasMah

« Reply #7442 on: January 26, 2016, 07:54:13 AM »
Didnt knew it was fake, luckly didnt bought it. Also stopped myself from hearing too much.

Can I just say that what I did heared sounded really awesome?  :\

Offline emtee

« Reply #7443 on: January 26, 2016, 07:57:41 AM »
Just a word of caution to anyone who actually submitted a credit card to that site.

Keep a very close eye on your activity for the next several weeks. You are a potential target.

Offline me7

• Disciple of the Cockroach
« Reply #7444 on: January 26, 2016, 08:03:21 AM »
No, bandcamp is a respectable site. People who bought there are not in any danger. The fake seller shouldn't have any access to your credit card data.

EDIT: and please, stop referring to bandcamp as that site. It's one of the nicest places to shop for music, they just didn't check whether the fake seller was a real RR representative. Keep in mind that 99.99% of the world don't kniw DT.

Offline ProgressiveIce

« Reply #7445 on: January 26, 2016, 08:07:11 AM »
I've read lots of "new DT albums suck" posts before, but this comment on The Astonishing takes the biscuit:
why did lemmy and bowie have to die while they still live

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7446 on: January 26, 2016, 08:09:07 AM »
Bandcamp is great. Someone just put up the album illegally, and it got taken down. Not Bandcamp's fault.

Offline vbrodrigues95

« Reply #7447 on: January 26, 2016, 08:09:35 AM »
Anyone knows what the locked "Places" button on their website is going to be?? Artwork of the scenarios?

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7448 on: January 26, 2016, 08:10:01 AM »
Bandcamp is awesome.

Don't mention it in the same breath as shit like Putlocker :lol

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #7449 on: January 26, 2016, 08:12:51 AM »
No, bandcamp is a respectable site. People who bought there are not in any danger. The fake seller shouldn't have any access to your credit card data.

EDIT: and please, stop referring to bandcamp as that site. It's one of the nicest places to shop for music, they just didn't check whether the fake seller was a real RR representative. Keep in mind that 99.99% of the world don't kniw DT.
Agreed with all of this.

1. People can feel free to refer to Bandcamp again, now that the offending page has been taken down.

2. Bandcamp is a legit and generally top-notch site in my experience. There is no danger in terms of credit card information. The only issue is that people will have paid money to bandcamp that would then go to the pirate. I expect that bandcamp will have a system in place to not pay anything over to the scammer, but if you did pay anything, I would recommend doing what Art did and contact Bandcamp to let them know/make a complaint.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #7450 on: January 26, 2016, 08:15:10 AM »
Not Bandcamp's fault.
Well, clearly their systems weren't adequate at preventing this from happening, so I don't think they're entirely blameless. That said, their response time seems to have been very quick, which I'll give them credit for!

I be am boner inducing.

Offline vazquez

• f.k.a. krieger
« Reply #7451 on: January 26, 2016, 08:31:55 AM »
https://audioorbital.wordpress.com/2016/01/26/ten-minute-review-dream-theater-the-astonishing/

Interesting review. Iīve liked the phrase: "Dream Theater’s always been a band that goes big or goes home."

"Anyone who still says they miss former drummer Mike Portnoy and prefer him over Mangini is just saying so to be a contrarian." is so obvious... you donīt even need to say it. Itīs like saying that water is wet or something like that.  :hat

"I’m just trying to say that this album was terrific.  It was incredibly well put together, the length may be off-putting to some but never feels too long or drags, and the guys are on point.  This is easily their best album in at least ten years, and maybe even since 1999’s Metropolis Pt 2."
"From the last ills no being can save another; therein each man must be his own saviour."
White-Jacket, Herman Melville

Offline volwrath

« Reply #7452 on: January 26, 2016, 08:32:51 AM »
Not Bandcamp's fault.
Well, clearly their systems weren't adequate at preventing this from happening, so I don't think they're entirely blameless. That said, their response time seems to have been very quick, which I'll give them credit for!

We shall see how quick their response time is to give me my money back.  Ive already filed a paypal dispute.  Man I cant believe I got scammed!

Offline lightbug

« Reply #7453 on: January 26, 2016, 08:33:18 AM »
I've read lots of "new DT albums suck" posts before, but this comment on The Astonishing takes the biscuit:
why did lemmy and bowie have to die while they still live

Those :censored idiots are deaf, not musicians, definitely. I'm glad I like this album, this is a very mature music, now I understand what noxon said, all make sense.

Offline MegaDTSX

« Reply #7454 on: January 26, 2016, 08:34:46 AM »
::) ...

People can't wait a couple more days ? The album will probably be on Spotify or Deezer at Midnight on Friday.

I know that long ago I used to get an album as soon as it leaked just out of excitement and an inability to settle my own ass down, but then on release date I would still buy the album... generally in whatever Collector's Edition/Special Edition is available.

Back when I had no patience I would do that pretty regularly, but I just don't have the time or effort nowadays so I'll be waiting for the album to officially drop.  I still don't see anything wrong with doing that personally so long as you do purchase the album from a legit retailer to support the album and you don't share the album with others.