Author Topic: Dream Theater: The Astonishing (now with moment of betrayal!)  (Read 1197994 times)

Offline mike099

• do or do not; there is no try
Re: Dream Theater: The Astonishing (now with moment of betrayal!)
« Reply #7315 on: January 25, 2016, 11:51:06 AM »
Here you will find photos of the CD too :
https://blog.yourmajesty.net/2016/01/21/the-astonishing-ecoute-en-avant-premiere-chez-warner-music/

In the group photo, the guy in the front has a cool looking shirt.  Would love to know where he got the shirt.  Also, in the photo with the drinks, what is that greenish drink on the table.

Looks like you all had a great time!
Quote from: Flying BIZKIT

Yeah, I hate when I visit the local circus and all they fucking play is Haken.

Offline BelichickFan

« Reply #7316 on: January 25, 2016, 11:51:47 AM »
I used to download albums for free but then I found getting the CD really anti climactic :(
If they would just stream it starting today or tomorrow then all of us who are buying it anyway wouldn't be tempted.  Ah well, I'll have the CD in my hands in 4.5 days and will hear it no later than that so it's all good.

Offline shadow1psc

« Reply #7317 on: January 25, 2016, 11:52:14 AM »
I used to download albums for free but then I found getting the CD really anti climactic :(

Plus back then they were horrible quality.

I don't bother now.

I use some leaks to judge whether or not an album is worth purchasing, but generally when I'm anticipating an album greatly I've already pre-ordered it and I just really want to hear it.

Offline Shadow2222

« Reply #7318 on: January 25, 2016, 11:58:13 AM »
Here you will find photos of the CD too :
https://blog.yourmajesty.net/2016/01/21/the-astonishing-ecoute-en-avant-premiere-chez-warner-music/

In the group photo, the guy in the front has a cool looking shirt.  Would love to know where he got the shirt.  Also, in the photo with the drinks, what is that greenish drink on the table.

I don't know about the shirt, but the drink kind of looks like a mojito (assuming the green is actually an abundance of mint leaves), which are amazing when made correctly.
"A pitch black night unfolds with the morning star as its only light... and thus the saga... begins" - Shenhua (Shenmue series)

Offline Pax

• an operator acting over a Hilbert space
  • pianist and music theorist
« Reply #7319 on: January 25, 2016, 12:08:15 PM »
Hey, I was wondering... Maybe they release "Three Days" tomorrow, since it's three days until the release! o.o
!̸̶͚͖͖̩̻̩̗͍̮̙̈͊͛̈͒̍̐ͣͩ̋ͨ̓̊̌̈̊́̚͝͠ͅ ̷̧̢̛͖̤̟̺̫̗͚̗͖ͪ̏̔̔̒́ͥ̓ͫ̀ͤ̇ͥ͝ ̡̊͛̇F.F.Chopin!̸̶͚͖͖̩̻̩̗͍̮̙̈͊͛̈͒̍̐ͣͩ̋ͨ̓̊̌̈̊́̚͝͠ͅ ̷̧̢̛͖̤̟̺̫̗͚̗͖ͪ̏̔̔̒́ͥ̓ͫ̀ͤ̇ͥ͝ ̡̊͛̇

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #7320 on: January 25, 2016, 12:10:18 PM »
If they would just stream it starting today or tomorrow then all of us who are buying it anyway wouldn't be tempted.  Ah well, I'll have the CD in my hands in 4.5 days and will hear it no later than that so it's all good.
But there is no reason to stream it early (or at all, for that matter).  The fact that some people may be "tempted" and cannot control themselves isn't the band's problem.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #7321 on: January 25, 2016, 12:16:51 PM »
Hey, I was wondering... Maybe they release "Three Days" tomorrow, since it's three days until the release! o.o

Won't happen, but it would be nice and funny!
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline the keyboard wizard

« Reply #7322 on: January 25, 2016, 12:17:19 PM »
He was drinking a Mojito.
His t shirt is the official t-shirt of Your Majesty (the French fan club). Unfortunately, those shirts are sold out.

@bosk1: there's no reason why they should stream early, I agree. But if I remember well, DT12 was streamed the Monday of the release week.
Admin and manager of the French Chapter of Dream Theater World: Your Majesty (one of the first DT fan clubs)

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #7323 on: January 25, 2016, 12:19:16 PM »
Interesting little plot point mentioned in that JLB interview...

Offline BelichickFan

« Reply #7324 on: January 25, 2016, 12:20:29 PM »
But there is no reason to stream it early (or at all, for that matter).  The fact that some people may be "tempted" and cannot control themselves isn't the band's problem.
They can do what they want, I don't care.  We all make our choices.  I don't know what I would do if I were them, just saying that a lot of people wouldn't download for free it then.  Nothing more, nothing less.  I am looking forward to my 1/29 delivery and whatever else may happen before that.

Offline T-ski

« Reply #7325 on: January 25, 2016, 12:20:34 PM »
yes, the booklet is glued

this is most disappointing.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline BFRedrocks

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7326 on: January 25, 2016, 12:42:41 PM »
Getting super excited for Friday as reading all 210 pages of this has been, well, draining to say the least.  :corn

Offline BelichickFan

« Reply #7327 on: January 25, 2016, 12:44:31 PM »
Getting super excited for Friday as reading all 210 pages of this has been, well, draining to say the least.  :corn
It's only 147 pages if you set it to the max number of posts per page  ;D

Offline BFRedrocks

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7328 on: January 25, 2016, 12:51:52 PM »
It's only 147 pages if you set it to the max number of posts per page  ;D
:lol

I've been listening to TGOM sparingly so it doesn't come across as "stale" when I reach that spot on the CD, but it just dawned on me that despite doing that with TEW, that track ended up being my favorite from DT12. I'm still hoping that my pre-order comes a day or two early as that has happened before with a DT CD, although it doesn't sound like it'll be "just" CDs that ship for us Ultimate Bundle/Box Set folks.

Offline gm5k

« Reply #7329 on: January 25, 2016, 12:54:45 PM »
It will be streamed on all the streaming platforms rr has its roster on.

Is it known when it will be available on those platforms?  I didn't use Spotify at the time of the last release, so I'm not familiar with whether or not it's available there from the album release date or not. 

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #7330 on: January 25, 2016, 12:55:48 PM »

Is it known when it will be available on those platforms?  I didn't use Spotify at the time of the last release, so I'm not familiar with whether or not it's available there from the album release date or not. 

Spotify typically has albums available to stream on the release day.

Offline gm5k

« Reply #7331 on: January 25, 2016, 12:56:33 PM »

Thanks!  :)

Offline rab7

« Reply #7332 on: January 25, 2016, 12:57:26 PM »

Would that mean 12:01 AM on Friday, or sometime during the day?

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7333 on: January 25, 2016, 12:59:53 PM »

Thanks!  :)

Yeah normally at midnight.

Offline YouMakeMeSick

« Reply #7334 on: January 25, 2016, 01:09:24 PM »
New email from Nafaryus came in.
The owls are not what they seem...

Offline pcs90

« Reply #7335 on: January 25, 2016, 01:10:24 PM »
Just read it. I imagine people who signed up for both sides will get another one soon too then...

Offline TH1RT3EN

• Dream Theater BR
  • There's only room for one Boss.
« Reply #7336 on: January 25, 2016, 01:10:43 PM »

Arhys' message just dropped by as well.

Offline YouMakeMeSick

« Reply #7337 on: January 25, 2016, 01:13:15 PM »

Arhys' message just dropped by as well.

Can you paste them here? I got them on my phone and can't read them while at work  :tdwn
The owls are not what they seem...

Offline theanalogkid7

• Just a guy
  • There are many knots I cannot untie.
« Reply #7338 on: January 25, 2016, 01:17:00 PM »
By the EMPEROR,
A PROCLAMATION FROM YOUR GRACIOUS SOVEREIGN, A COMMAND MOST HIGH TO HOLDFAST TO OUR NOBLEST TRADITIONS & RESIST THE TEMPTATION OF RESISTANCE!
WIELDING THE POWER OF OUR ANCESTORS, invigorated by Our blood most steadfast and courageous, and imbued with the solace, stillness, and quiet of mind that comes only from a most blissful submission to the Greater Good, it is I, Lord Nafaryus, your humble Emperor and Head of the Realm, Heir to the Mantle of Makers, Supplier of sustenance, Giver of purpose and reason, who hereby directly addresses you, Our Most Loyal Subjects, the keepers of conscience and patriotism, O’ ye whose devoted servitude and strict adherence to the great truth of contentment in struggle sustains the Empire.
A GREAT PLAGUE THREATENS the very foundation of all that We know and decree to be lawful and consecrated. 'Tis a destructive force giving tremble to the pillars of tradition upon which rest the safety and security of the Great Northern Empire Of The Americas. Lo, from outlying lands most distant and remote, a piercing shriek erupts, disguised by the mask of melodious song and draped in the appearance of humility and vulnerability.
Turn thy eyes and ears away from the rebellious few spouting seditiousness, those who would poison your minds with talk of a falsely prophetic “chosen one,” a near-magical seeming but most assured impostor, guarded and heralded by malcontents thirsting for power, with nothing but their own material gain and prosperity through the destruction of our way of life within their hearts. Much ado is made by those who know not the empowering might found within labor, those who seek to distract you, o’ great people of the Great Northern Empire of the Americas, from your ever important, all consuming work. Drink not the rotten wine squeezed from the thorns of deceit and dark rebellion.
What fortune, pray tell, was derived in the Forbidden Ages of Old from the pursuit of vain individuality and meandering, self-defeating artistry? Are you not pleased with the comforting drone of the near omniscient NOMACS, whose calculated cacophony hath been perfected to embody the pinnacle of what is necessary to soothe and empower? An insistence upon diversity of thought and action, an insistence upon being “heard” above not only your fellow citizens but your most Noble Rulers as well, threatens all that we know, just as it destroyed the devilish creatures who occupied these lands centuries before. Do not forget your place within the Empire. Make haste to hold steadfast to Us!
It brings me no pleasure to transmit this stark reality to you, my beloved people, but no salvation is to be found in the sounds emanating from this “chosen one,” for I, your Noble Ruler, your Most Precious Emperor, hath witnessed what stirs within Ravenskill. In point of fact, the Royal Family accompanied your Emperor on Our investigative journey. Such witchery arose from the center of Ravenskill, My daughter, My own very flesh and blood and Lo, even my own innermost spirit, were nearly enchanted by the strange and foul bellow of this “Gabriel,” one under the protection of a seditious sibling.

If this “chosen one” hath truly arrived to save us from our tranquility and content conformity, why hath his pitifully small assemblage of foolhardy, misguided disciples hidden him away from your Emperor? This enigmatic charlatan is no savior. The Great Northern Empire of the Americas is not in need of “saving”! We will suffer no unrest!
So trouble yourselves not, O' Citizenry, with thoughts of this minor disruption any longer. Do inform your duly appointed caretakers and guardians of any information regarding the whereabouts of these troublemakers who stand in opposition to the goodness of society, who barter and trick with false promises of "expression" and freedom. True liberty, as Our Family hath decreed for generations, resides in service! Rest assured, in Our ceaseless task of ensuring your protection from threats without and within, We again command you to relieve yourselves of confusion and challenge to the Crown by submitting to the highest honors within the meditative emptiness of labor.
This Noble Proclamation of G.N.E.A. Given at Our Court at the Palatial Residence of New Maineland, Great Northern Empire of The Americas, in this, the twenty-seventh year of the reign of your Sovereign, Lord Nafaryus, Emperor and Head of the Realm, two hundredth fifty seven A.C., two thousandth two hundredth eighty-five, A.D.
We are here to make everything better. We are going to make airplanes out of beef. - Alex Lifeson

Offline theanalogkid7

• Just a guy
  • There are many knots I cannot untie.
« Reply #7339 on: January 25, 2016, 01:17:13 PM »
People of the Realm, as far as this message will be carried, those who seek true purpose! This is Arhys, Son of Marhys, an heir to the displaced and forbidden Legion Of Sorrowful Song, and elected Commander of the ever-burgeoning fierce loyalist warriors of the Ravenskill Rebel Militia. Yes, I declare our impending rebellion to be, in point of fact, one of true loyalty. We are no loyalists to the stagnant, disgraceful Empire, no. We swear our allegiance to the principles upon which this Empire once stood and to the valiant, resilient, and endlessly exploited people the corrupt Empire purports to serve.
I did not come upon this quarrelsome viewpoint lightly. Like you, I believed a life of service to the Empire, forfeiting my own desires and destiny to toil for leaders whose cups runneth over with the spoils of our stolen successes, to be my destiny. I understand that my words, to say nothing of my deeds (both of the past and those to come), must ring of treason to many of you as you discern this message for yourselves. But I bring glad tidings. I come to you with a message of hope! For I have not only heard the melodious thunder, the Astonishing power of newfound legend, but I know Gabriel, the Chosen One, in the most thorough of ways, for he is my kin, my blood brother, a fellow heir to the Legion of Sorrowful Song, an Uncle to my own heir, Xander, son of Arhys. Gabriel is no mere rumor nor false prophet nor seeker of ungodly power of his own. Gabriel is but a humble servant, a man whose passion exceeds the expectations of the age, who yearns for greater freedom through creativity for not only the people of our fairest Ravenskill but for all of humankind stretching across all of the known Realm.
Prepare thy heart for the truth I must reveal to you and please, I plead with you, my fellow citizens, to unburden yourselves of the yoke of service to an Empire that no longer serves you. What I am about to recount to you may shake your conviction, but I assure you, it will result in the emergence of stronger character and a will to fight! For I hath seen and many others bore witness to the Royal Family - yes, the Emperor and his kinfolk - enthralled by the wondrous supernatural power of Gabriel their very selves! Forgive any appearance of impropriety, but as the spirit of my beloved widow no doubt would attest from worlds beyond, I saw the most exquisite Empress Arabelle and fair Princess Faythe visibly moved by the song of Gabriel, who summoned sounds that would still the most highly-programmed NOMAC imaginable with but an utterance. Take heed, my brethren, and hear this truth: 'tho but for a moment, Lord Nafaryus himself was moved! To this many a witness will attest! Under cover of shadow and protective cloak of townsfolk, I hurried my brother off to the courageous care of our Rebel Militia.
Had the Emperor and his family not learned the rumors to be comprised of verifiable truths, why must he be so nakedly fearful of the oncoming change this Empire must endure? Know this: Gabriel, the Chosen One, will not be silenced. He will continue to explore, strengthen, and share his gifts, even as word of the hope he brings to the Realm continues to spread like the wildfires churning endlessly upon Prayer Rock Ridge. The Ravenskill Rebel Militia and the bordering Rebel Forces who share in our hunger to free ourselves from the yoke of oppression stand at the ready to defend true liberty. Let any who would do harm to my brother know they face the might of Commander Arhys, of the growing legion of fighters who've taken hold the flag of justice and expression, all of us united in the protection of the Chosen One and the liberation of all.
Stand in Gabriel's light. Draw strength from his promise. The prophet of Ravenskill will not stand down. As ever, I implore you, with love and graciousness, to Seek the Songs.
We are here to make everything better. We are going to make airplanes out of beef. - Alex Lifeson

Offline Jinx

• The Unicyclist's #1 fan!
  • Shaaaamaan take my haaaannd!!
« Reply #7340 on: January 25, 2016, 01:25:12 PM »
Pretty cool! So Xander is Ahrys' son then. Think it's safe to assume Evangeline is the mother. Also surely Xander will be the one without a voice in this? O know most said Evangeline (assuming she has died as some have suggested) but I can't see JLB imitating a small child...

Offline noxon

• Fan Club Professional
« Reply #7341 on: January 25, 2016, 01:31:35 PM »
he doesn't have that many lines - and it's mostly screaming ;)

Offline Jinx

• The Unicyclist's #1 fan!
  • Shaaaamaan take my haaaannd!!
« Reply #7342 on: January 25, 2016, 01:35:25 PM »
Say no more noxon I've seen the trailer and the sticky situation he appears to get in  :P

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
« Reply #7343 on: January 25, 2016, 01:37:03 PM »

you sort of spoiled what happens to him based on the trailer

i expect whatever scene that is to be rather disturbing
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline rab7

« Reply #7344 on: January 25, 2016, 01:38:53 PM »

you sort of spoiled what happens to him based on the trailer

i expect whatever scene that is to be rather disturbing

The screaming combined with the trailer sounds like a kidnapping, rather than an outright throat-cutting,.

Plus, you can't really scream if your throat is slit.

Offline TH1RT3EN

• Dream Theater BR
  • There's only room for one Boss.
« Reply #7345 on: January 25, 2016, 01:40:32 PM »
So Xander is Ahrys' son then.

Well, that's not exactly new info… Arhys tweeted that when Xander was revealed.

Offline noxon

• Fan Club Professional
« Reply #7346 on: January 25, 2016, 01:46:10 PM »
yeah, trailer and scream is not related... trailer is disc 1, scream is disc 2

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #7347 on: January 25, 2016, 01:48:36 PM »

I can confirm this as well.  For those who don't mind spoilers, here is basically what happens:  Early in Act 2, Xander contracts an excruciatingly painful bowel-eating disease that literally consumes him from the inside out. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7348 on: January 25, 2016, 01:49:49 PM »
In the group photo, the guy in the front has a cool looking shirt.  Would love to know where he got the shirt.

Someone posts a picture of a group of people, including a lovely brunette. DT fan asks about the shirt on the guy who is sitting next to her  :biggrin:
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline TheLordOfTheStrings

• I make music. I also do other stuff sometimes.
  • EB
« Reply #7349 on: January 25, 2016, 01:53:48 PM »
Noxon, did you just inadvertently spoil what the second video is gonna be? A disk 2 trailer? haha.  :D ;)
Check out the latest concept album “III: The Sparrow & The Architect”, released under my project The Circle of Wonders:

https://linktr.ee/STARCOMMANDStudios