Author Topic: Dream Theater: The Astonishing (now with moment of betrayal!)  (Read 1197997 times)

Offline Marion Crane

• Smile, you're on MurderTV.
Re: Dream Theater: The Astonishing (now with trailer!)
« Reply #6965 on: January 21, 2016, 12:06:05 PM »
I still can't get enough of the first 25 seconds before the guitar kicks in. This is one of the most awesome DT-related music parts I've heard for ages.

It's pretty for sure. But VERY VERY similar to ITNOG.

Offline rab7

« Reply #6966 on: January 21, 2016, 12:06:29 PM »
Modulation is the essential part of the art. Without it there is little music, for a piece derives its true beauty not from the large number of fixed modes which it embraces but rather from the subtle fabric of its modulation.
— Charles-Henri Blainville (1767)
^That.  And in recent "popular music" history, modulating a final chorus has been done FREQUENTLY for effect precisely because it works effectively.

"Youuuuu're here, there's NOOOOTHING I fear, and I know that the heart does go oooon."

Offline rab7

« Reply #6967 on: January 21, 2016, 12:09:00 PM »
I still can't get enough of the first 25 seconds before the guitar kicks in. This is one of the most awesome DT-related music parts I've heard for ages.

That 1235, 1236 line is already very common in music. Plus, the rhythm is different enough (12/8 vs something I can't figure out) that I didn't even notice the similarity until someone brought it up on reddit a few days ago.

Offline DP_Gumby

• Wished I lived in any fantasy realm
« Reply #6968 on: January 21, 2016, 12:11:37 PM »
If the other songs on TA are half as good as i feel MOB is, this album is close to a masterpiece IMO.

Happy 200th page "anniversary" on the thread!  :lol
"This morning, shortly after eleven o'clock, comedy struck this little house in Dibley. Sudden. Violent. Comedy." - Monty Python's Flying Circus.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6969 on: January 21, 2016, 12:12:21 PM »
Is it the pop band Eternal who did that song " I wanna be the only one " or something and it had like 3 key changes at the end. :lol ridiculous.

Every couple of choruses it would go up a tone.

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #6970 on: January 21, 2016, 12:12:42 PM »
HAPPY PAGE 200, GUYS!

:djhef:

8 days before release as well! :metardica:

Offline rab7

« Reply #6971 on: January 21, 2016, 12:15:52 PM »
HAPPY PAGE 200, GUYS!

:djhef:

8 days before release as well! :metardica:

That's 300 pages if we include the 100 page speculation thread that started in February

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #6972 on: January 21, 2016, 12:20:28 PM »
Modulation is the essential part of the art. Without it there is little music, for a piece derives its true beauty not from the large number of fixed modes which it embraces but rather from the subtle fabric of its modulation.
^That.  And in recent "popular music" history, modulating a final chorus has been done FREQUENTLY for effect precisely because it works effectively.

And I hate it just as much every time. Even pop music is moving away from that trend now, finally.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #6973 on: January 21, 2016, 12:21:07 PM »
I was wondering if we would reach 200 pages before or after the release  ;D a couple of days ago it was clear we would have went over, hehe!

Tomorrow we'll be able to say we're in the final week!  :metal
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline thosava

« Reply #6974 on: January 21, 2016, 12:21:11 PM »
I didn't like MoB that much the first 4-5 times i listened to it. I decided to wait until the album to listen again, but once i saw it on youtube in better quality i had to listen One Last Time. I'm starting to really like this song! And if the average quality of the album is the same as TGoM and MoB, then we may have another DT masterpiece :omg:

Merry 200 pages, and a happy new 100!

Offline aurorablind

« Reply #6975 on: January 21, 2016, 12:21:46 PM »
Just to be clear: I am NOT one of those who will jump on the hate-train when it comes to the drum-sound. Its much better than on DT12.
But I just have to nitpick:
The snare doesn't really bug me, but the kick drums kind of do. They are a bit loud, and they are really missing the punch thats on BTFW (I really like that drum sound). It almost sounds like they sampled someone tapping on the mic, threw in some compression and gain and EQ'd some bass to the mix. Mangini is one of the best double-bass players in the world, so it's a bit sad.
The snare however has grown on me. It's really loud and punchy, yes, but the low-tuned, balls-to-the-walls sounding snare has kind of becomed Manginis signature sound. It sits much better in this mix than on DT12.

With that being said, I love the two songs that have been released so far. Every member shines, especially on this new track.
The vocals, the bass, the keys, the drums, the guitar...Im speechless.
This will rock!  :metal

Offline Hanz Gruber

« Reply #6976 on: January 21, 2016, 12:22:32 PM »
Before the good quality version was released I listed to MOB 2 times and really didn't like it that much.  Now after hearing a good quality version I actually like it.  It won't be my favorite off the album but it is a solid song.  I don;t know if the quality jump changed my mind or if it finally clicked on the 3rd listen

Edit:

I didn't like MoB that much the first 4-5 times i listened to it. I decided to wait until the album to listen again, but once i saw it on youtube in better quality i had to listen One Last Time. I'm starting to really like this song! And if the average quality of the album is the same as TGoM and MoB, then we may have another DT masterpiece :omg:

Funny.  We were typing this around the same time.   My same feelings as well

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #6977 on: January 21, 2016, 12:26:58 PM »

Yes, and I love that. Just listen to Lionheart by TNT. The final chorus is glorious!

B.Lee
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline nikatapi

« Reply #6978 on: January 21, 2016, 12:56:23 PM »
Also, dat Mangini at 5:20. Damn he is awesome.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6979 on: January 21, 2016, 12:57:45 PM »

Well, ITNOG is my top 5 DT song, so I guess it's not much of a coincidence. However, the violin (or cello, I dunno, I think it's more like a violin) gives it quite a unique vibe for DT.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #6980 on: January 21, 2016, 01:02:53 PM »

Yes, and I love that. Just listen to Lionheart by TNT. The final chorus is glorious!

B.Lee

Or even Living On a Prayer by Bon Jovi. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Enigmachine

« Reply #6981 on: January 21, 2016, 01:31:48 PM »
Listened to MoB again. Holy crap, what a song! Every member of DT shines here, JLB whenever he sings, JP in that awesome solo, JR in his piano part in the intro, MM in the second verse keeping the song feeling really tense and JM when he goes from that unison to those really deep held notes. I think the production is excellent too.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6982 on: January 21, 2016, 01:33:07 PM »
https://www.billboard.com/articles/columns/rock/6851509/dream-theater-moment-of-betrayal-song-premiere-the-astonishing-album

Maybe I am late to the party, but I think this makes it official right?  That we can share a link to listen to the new song.  From DT's facebook.

Offline dparrott

« Reply #6983 on: January 21, 2016, 01:33:31 PM »

B.Lee

Just listened to Living Colour do this in "Someone Like You".  Boy did I sleep on that song!
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline CoT67

« Reply #6984 on: January 21, 2016, 01:38:44 PM »
It also seems that the sound of the mix/master has changed a lot as someone said before, and now there's proof for it... a lot more bass and volume than TGoM in general. Can any current owner of the album/preview confirm the difference?
People in Tuscany are never going to lure you into their wine cellars and drown you in wine barrels, you know.
Or that’s what they’ll make you think.

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #6985 on: January 21, 2016, 01:41:56 PM »
Hell yeah an official release
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline dparrott

« Reply #6986 on: January 21, 2016, 01:46:45 PM »
I feel having the song title in the chorus (and repeated so many times) is a bit cheesy.  Those lines could have been used to add more to the story.

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline thosava

« Reply #6987 on: January 21, 2016, 01:49:04 PM »
Yeah.. That's one of the things i don't like about DT12. Out of the non-instrumental songs they all use the title in the chorus except Illumination Theory. (sometimes it works, other times it feels forced.)

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #6988 on: January 21, 2016, 01:50:25 PM »
Just listened to it again. I'm digging this song.

EDIT: Except the raise in pitch for the final chorus. No band or artist should ever do that. Ever.

You should listen to more hair metal  :biggrin: it's compulsory. Even if the singer then can't reach the correct pitch. Jon Bon Jovi I'm looking at you...

I See I was ninja'd higher up

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #6989 on: January 21, 2016, 01:50:45 PM »
Confirmation in the Billboard article that MoB is Gabriel speaking to Arhys.

Offline dparrott

« Reply #6990 on: January 21, 2016, 01:54:05 PM »
Just listened to MoB and TGOM back to back, I like TGOM more.  It has a lot more going on, it's not as formulaic, and it doesn't say "the gift of muuuuuusiiiiiiiiic" haha

Offline T-ski

« Reply #6991 on: January 21, 2016, 02:04:13 PM »
put me on the list of those who dislike the drum sound.  I hated it on the last album and it doesn't really sound any better on the two tracks I've heard from the new one.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline aurorablind

« Reply #6992 on: January 21, 2016, 02:06:28 PM »
The instrumental section between 3:43-3:55 blows my mind. The drums and keyboards are mindblowing!  :metal

Offline JLa

« Reply #6993 on: January 21, 2016, 02:08:23 PM »
I'm glad they went with a full scale orchestra this time. I can really hear the difference from their previous orchestrations.

Offline shadow1psc

« Reply #6994 on: January 21, 2016, 02:08:50 PM »
Dunno if this means anything yet, but they didn't put MoB in the second video slot on the website...

Offline chwik

• Shadows of the Sun
« Reply #6995 on: January 21, 2016, 02:23:32 PM »
I feel having the song title in the chorus (and repeated so many times) is a bit cheesy.  Those lines could have been used to add more to the story.

This might be because the lyrics are written before the title of the song is chosen, which is pretty common across mulitiple musical styles. Would it really be less cheesy if the chorus was sung as is, but the songtitle different?

Offline home

• Sound is the factor which holds it together
« Reply #6996 on: January 21, 2016, 02:33:41 PM »
Does any think the chorus of A Moment of Betrayal is a bit similiar to a part in "The Thin Line Between Love and Hate" from Iron Maiden" ? The following part:

"I will hope, my soul will fly, so I will live forever
Heart will die, my soul will fly, and I will live forever"

It just gets stuck in my head every time I listen to Moment of Betrayal :p
Break the mold, let's shake the ground, wreak havoc!

Offline Enigmachine

« Reply #6997 on: January 21, 2016, 02:40:16 PM »
Does any think the chorus of A Moment of Betrayal is a bit similiar to a part in "The Thin Line Between Love and Hate" from Iron Maiden" ? The following part:

There's a different mood but yeah, they are quite similar. It's an awesome part in both cases.

Offline thosava

« Reply #6998 on: January 21, 2016, 02:42:45 PM »

I can kind of hear it! I like the Maiden song better though  :P

Offline chwik

• Shadows of the Sun
« Reply #6999 on: January 21, 2016, 02:47:24 PM »
With all the snare talk, I just listened to Circus Maximus new song "The Weight" and thought the snare sounded approx the same as MM's in the Astonishing. Might it be that the "progressive rock/metal snare" is supposed to sound this way today? Also, I wonder if people will show the same "emotional" degree when it comes to Circus Maximus snare drum or if this is a preconcived notion against MM with the history of MP in the band. Just curious on a general basis.

Personally, I have no skin in the snare game, although I understand both sides of the argument - I belive it comes down to personal preference.