Author Topic: Dream Theater: The Astonishing (now with moment of betrayal!)  (Read 1198009 times)

Offline shadow1psc

Re: Dream Theater: The Astonishing (now with trailer!)
« Reply #5950 on: January 13, 2016, 11:43:15 AM »
Maybe generalizing as something went wrong is the wrong way to put it, but you really don't hear the immense difference in snare between ADToE and DT12?

There is certainly a difference but I've never understood the hate it gets.

The word I always use to describe it is 'squishy'. To me it feels out of place and electronic (like from a literal electronic drum module). I know it isn't, but that's what it comes across as to me.

Offline CDrice

• I do art stuff
« Reply #5951 on: January 13, 2016, 11:46:24 AM »
I'm not a production guy so I don't really know what I'm talking about, but I think I remember an interview with Mike where  mentionned that they had a hard time setting up the mic for recording his drum for A Dramatic Turn of Events. I'm guessing it's because there was a lot of sound leakage where it shouldn't.

If that's the case, maybe this drum sound and production is the way they found to make reduce this problem.

I don't know the interview source, it just got me thinking that if they "had a hard time setting up the mics" for ADTOE maybe the engineer wasn't able to capture the drums exactly how he wanted to and changes were made that later effected the drum sound. Once again, for the record, I really am not that critical of MM's drum sounds. But like you said "when everything is captured well" comes into play here. All I'm saying is that his kit set-up might have negatively effected how things were captured. In fact MM's comment in that interview (once again, I'm basing this off of a user post because I don't know the interview in question) confirms they had issue micing the kit.

I think this was the interview I was talking about: https://noisefull.com/interviews/mike-mangini-dream-theater

Okay, so he doesn't exactly talk about mic placement, but here are a few quotes from the article about the challenges he had:

''From “A Dramatic Turn Of Events”, I learned a lot about almost sounding like there were two microphones in the room and that was it. That was not the case, but that’s my impression of my sound. It’s like, ok, there are those drums in the room, and you can hear all the leakage, because I have all that stuff…once you add a zillion tracks of guitar and keyboards, then my performed nuances and power disappears without detailed equalization strategies.''

''If I was engineering it, I would want at least a solid 4 or 5 days alone with it. I’d then want another two days after all the instruments are weaved in just to adjust to all those other frequencies. However, I basically have to get the drum sound set in a day or two.''

''My toms exploded with transience on “Dream Theater.” They were incredible. However, you can’t do anything you want to the toms without affecting all the “ride” sources, which are the rides, hihats, effects and stacks, on my kit.''

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #5952 on: January 13, 2016, 11:55:11 AM »
Nice find, thanks man.

Offline mike099

• do or do not; there is no try
« Reply #5953 on: January 13, 2016, 11:55:58 AM »
Does anyone have an opinion on the live show?  Will they somehow account for the choir and orchestra or will they leave it out? We will find out after the first show in London. 
Quote from: Flying BIZKIT

Yeah, I hate when I visit the local circus and all they fucking play is Haken.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #5954 on: January 13, 2016, 12:17:28 PM »
It's because it doesn't sound like a snare. What I hear is someone pushing a button on a computer, and some cheap snare sample comes out with the near exact same loudness each time. Maybe would've worked really well on Skrillex's next album, but not on a metal/rock album.
I don't hear what you are hearing.  It sounds like a snare to me.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #5955 on: January 13, 2016, 12:27:24 PM »
It does sound like a snare, just the worst sounding snare in the history of metal music.  :lol

Offline Enigmachine

« Reply #5956 on: January 13, 2016, 12:29:44 PM »
It does sound like a snare, just the worst sounding snare in the history of metal music.  :lol

Um... St. Anger?

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #5957 on: January 13, 2016, 12:33:10 PM »

Um... St. Anger?

Much more tolerable for me. It atleast has that unique ring that the DT snare lacks.

Offline CDrice

• I do art stuff
« Reply #5958 on: January 13, 2016, 12:38:05 PM »
It's because it doesn't sound like a snare. What I hear is someone pushing a button on a computer, and some cheap snare sample comes out with the near exact same loudness each time. Maybe would've worked really well on Skrillex's next album, but not on a metal/rock album.
I don't hear what you are hearing.  It sounds like a snare to me.

Meh, the snare sound he has in this video is much better https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qieLc3BmaMw&t=0m17s

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #5959 on: January 13, 2016, 12:39:10 PM »
dt12 probably has the worst production of any album in my library, and i have black metal albums in my library that intentionally nuked the production for atmosphere's sake

i will honestly blame the production for a lot of why i dislike the album but the real fault was weak songwriting not even close to good enough to overcome the production.

Offline Jinx

• The Unicyclist's #1 fan!
  • Shaaaamaan take my haaaannd!!
« Reply #5960 on: January 13, 2016, 12:40:21 PM »
Just went back and rewatched The Gift of Music and the animation of the (main) NOMAC was much better than the teaser trailer, not that I didn't enjoy that trailer. So I guess we will just wait for the tour!

Offline Jinx

• The Unicyclist's #1 fan!
  • Shaaaamaan take my haaaannd!!
« Reply #5961 on: January 13, 2016, 12:42:50 PM »
Also I just thank God that evidently my ears aren't as tuned in as a lot of the guys on here. Honestly, I just listen to it and love it. Didnt have a problem with ADTOE or DT, I thought they both sounded great!  :hat

Offline thosava

« Reply #5962 on: January 13, 2016, 12:45:25 PM »
I'm glad that drums are the least important instrument for me!

Offline Enigmachine

« Reply #5963 on: January 13, 2016, 12:48:42 PM »
Also I just thank God that evidently my ears aren't as tuned in as a lot of the guys on here. Honestly, I just listen to it and love it. Didnt have a problem with ADTOE or DT, I thought they both sounded great!  :hat

It's not really a matter of being able to hear it, it's more that what people hear is quite divisive. I thought that both albums sound really good as well even if I can hear a lot of what many dislike about them sound-wise.

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #5964 on: January 13, 2016, 12:49:10 PM »
dt12 probably has the worst production of any album in my library, and i have black metal albums in my library that intentionally nuked the production for atmosphere's sake

Wow, so I'm guessing you don't have a huge music library, eh?
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline ToT-147

• Living out this Utopian Dream
« Reply #5965 on: January 13, 2016, 12:49:48 PM »
One thing I'll say about the concept/trailer.
If I see anything that suggests that they're just having fun with this, rather than it being super self-serious, it'll improve my opinion of the whole thing drastically.

Probably the trailer wasn't taken so seriously.. But the concept is.. I think the plot is fine, but, most of all, the main idea of it, which Petrucci told in an interview.. That's not joke at all man..

PS: "Warning - while you were typing..." every single time.. :lol
UTÓPICA 'Symphonic Progressive Metal' band - First album's now out
iTunes goo.gl/z5kl9d Amazon goo.gl/bWTwMF
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRKNqEH1rxo (Videoclip from Second album)

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5966 on: January 13, 2016, 12:51:40 PM »
My least favorite snare sound is MP's on A Change of Seasons.  I don't have any issue with the sound of MM's drums, other than some of the cool stuff that was lost in the mix (esp. cymbal parts).

Offline shadow1psc

« Reply #5967 on: January 13, 2016, 12:52:04 PM »

Um... St. Anger?

Much more tolerable for me. It atleast has that unique ring that the DT snare lacks.

I can't listen to St. Anger's original release. I can enjoy DT12. St. Anger also (I believe) wasn't a post production tweak/choice/error, Lars intentionally wanted to have that sound (and you can kinda tell that he's always leaned towards it, he just finally went off the deep end with it there). Mangini sounds great in every other instance, live or otherwise, I've ever heard him. Something changed on DT12.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #5968 on: January 13, 2016, 12:53:37 PM »
All this fuzz about the trailer will be forgotten when the album will be out. Right now people discuss it because it's the only thing we have, basically.

What is the importance of the video for The Looking Glass now that the self titled is out since 2013? how much even the memory that there was a video for On the Back of Angels has an impact in reflecting back on the 2011 album? the trailer will be a very minor footnote in the whole Astonishing history.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline MarkFitDT

« Reply #5969 on: January 13, 2016, 12:55:21 PM »
haha, me too. Certainly not weak songwriting on DT12 in my opinion either, its one of my fav DT albums.

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #5970 on: January 13, 2016, 12:55:48 PM »
Mangini sounds great in every other instance, live or otherwise, I've ever heard him. Something changed on DT12.

Well the snare sounds horrible on the new album aswell so it's not a DT12 problem. (unless some drastic sound changes happened between the Gift of Music release and the final product which I doubt)

Offline shadow1psc

« Reply #5971 on: January 13, 2016, 12:56:18 PM »
All this fuzz about the trailer will be forgotten when the album will be out. Right now people discuss it because it's the only thing we have, basically.

What is the importance of the video for The Looking Glass now that the self titled is out since 2013? how much even the memory that there was a video for On the Back of Angels has an impact in reflecting back on the 2011 album? the trailer will be a very minor footnote in the whole Astonishing history.

There's a difference here - while I personally don't care about the trailer's significance, it may or may not be an indication of the final product as brought to us in the live show.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #5972 on: January 13, 2016, 12:57:33 PM »

It's not really a matter of being able to hear it, it's more that what people hear is quite divisive. I thought that both albums sound really good as well even if I can hear a lot of what many dislike about them sound-wise.

And you get this from a Youtube clip?  Maybe you should wait until you have a better quality of album in your hands.  Or am I wrong and you have one in your hands right now?
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline shadow1psc

« Reply #5973 on: January 13, 2016, 12:58:40 PM »

And you get this from a Youtube clip?  Maybe you should wait until you have a better quality of album in your hands.  Or am I wrong and you have one in your hands right now?

Anyone who preordered has a very nice quality (presumably the final mastered) TGoM track.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5974 on: January 13, 2016, 01:00:11 PM »
Ah.  Thanks what i was wondering  Thanks!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline CoT67

« Reply #5975 on: January 13, 2016, 01:02:56 PM »
Maybe generalizing as something went wrong is the wrong way to put it, but you really don't hear the immense difference in snare between ADToE and DT12?

There is certainly a difference but I've never understood the hate it gets.

The word I always use to describe it is 'squishy'. To me it feels out of place and electronic (like from a literal electronic drum module). I know it isn't, but that's what it comes across as to me.

I think I can relate to what you're saying... from ADToE to DT12 (while both don't really have the best drum production in the whole catalogue) and the other albums there is quite a big difference.

The snare on ADToE sounds bright and very snappy, a bit thin compared to the others. If you pay attention you can hear the slight inconsistencies of the hits that make it natural and dynamic.

In DT12 it always sounds like it is hit with the exact same strength in the exact same point and gives the exact same level and tone, other than being a lot more darker and tuned lower. It definitely feels like either a trigger drum sample or a post-production augmented snare with samples.

The TGOM snare, while changing the character and the tone of the previous snare, doesn't change the feel of it. You can hear it especially on the "machine gun" sounding drum rolls and the fact that it always sounds and feels the same, no matter what.

I understand the fact that a lot of metal bands are using and have used triggers and samples to augment their snare sound and improve the consistency of the hits, I just feel that Mangini as a drummer doesn't need it to shine, nor DT needs it for the atmosphere. In my opinion it kills a bit of the vibe Mangini's playing brings when he plays live, where he is at his best.

All this IMHO, and it definitely will not stop me from totally enjoying The Astonishing when it releases. At least the master's good this time around.

EDIT: I've based my opinion of TGOM's snare on the RR track from the preorder, but you can hear it quite well on the youtube compressed version... the only thing that changes is the general tone of the mix being a bit darker and less "defined"
People in Tuscany are never going to lure you into their wine cellars and drown you in wine barrels, you know.
Or that’s what they’ll make you think.

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #5976 on: January 13, 2016, 01:05:18 PM »

Anyone who preordered has a very nice quality (presumably the final mastered) TGoM track.
Wow, I literally did not know that I got a high quality TGOM file along with my pre-order confirmation  :facepalm: personally I'm not a huge audio critic, I'm not noticing too much difference between this and the Spotify one.
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #5977 on: January 13, 2016, 01:06:06 PM »

There's a difference here - while I personally don't care about the trailer's significance, it may or may not be an indication of the final product as brought to us in the live show.

Mh, didn't see it that way. You could be right, this kind of animation *may* turn out in the live show, or maybe it will be something completely different... we'll see, after all the animations for the last tour were good even though abstract, so maybe they'll keep the same level.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #5978 on: January 13, 2016, 01:08:18 PM »
Does anyone have an opinion on the live show? 
Haven't seen it.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline mikemangioy

• do feel free to spool through.
« Reply #5979 on: January 13, 2016, 01:10:12 PM »
Mike assured us he doesn't ever use triggers. That's just the way he sounds, precise as hell! I definitely can hear quite a ton of ghost notes on the snare this time around. There were a few in ADTOE and they were completely absent in DT12, but this time they were audible, and that's quite a good sign.
Because Mike is better than Mike

Offline shadow1psc

« Reply #5980 on: January 13, 2016, 01:12:03 PM »
I actually really like the snare on TGoM, even the YouTube mix. DT12 was instantaneous for me. I heard it, I didn't like it, but I grew to appreciate the album as a whole. With TGoM I had none of the initial reaction (well, I had the reaction of 'thank god, the snare is back to normal'). There's definitely dynamics, but for the most part MM sounds like his ultra accurate self. I feel like that's just Mangini being as accurate/consistent as he is.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #5981 on: January 13, 2016, 01:17:26 PM »
Even worse than Nattens Madrigal? Come on :P

Offline Enigmachine

« Reply #5982 on: January 13, 2016, 01:24:51 PM »

Are you sure you meant to reply to me? Because I'm talking about ADToE and DT12, the versions I physically own.

I'm assuming Parama is using a ton of hyperbole there, I can't really see how the DT12 snare is worse the one on Nattens Madrigal.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5983 on: January 13, 2016, 01:29:10 PM »

Are you sure you meant to reply to me? Because I'm talking about ADToE and DT12, the versions I physically own.

I'm assuming Parama is using a ton of hyperbole there, I can't really see how the DT12 snare is worse the one on Nattens Madrigal.

I thought the subject was on TA.  My bad.  Sorry! 

Since we are on that topic.  I do not like the drum sound on DT12.  It doesn't kill it for me.  No St. Anger.  That is the worst sounding snare I have ever heard.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #5984 on: January 13, 2016, 01:31:12 PM »
Those of you fixated with the production of a record and details like the drum snare or the guitar tone clearly never lived in the cassette tapes era, where all you had to get by was a cassette taped from a friend taped from a friend taped from a friend that copied it from a lucky rich friend that had the newest wonder of technology, a CD player.

Try to survive on third hand tapes all your formative years, even St. Anger will sound wonderful then  :biggrin: