Author Topic: Dream Theater: The Astonishing (now with moment of betrayal!)  (Read 1197910 times)

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
Re: Dream Theater: The Astonishing (now with premier of The Gift of Music!)
« Reply #4725 on: January 04, 2016, 11:54:09 AM »
This should be a VERY fun week.  Looking forward to it.  :corn

I'm just guessing here, but this week I'm expecting a video of a song diferent from TGoM, because the band filmed a video and stated that TGoM is not a single, but a teaser of the album... and it's a double album with more than 2 hours! I don't believe the band will premiere only 4 min of it...
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline Enigmachine

« Reply #4726 on: January 04, 2016, 11:57:52 AM »
This should be a VERY fun week.  Looking forward to it.  :corn

I'm just guessing here, but this week I'm expecting a video of a song diferent from TGoM, because the band filmed a video and stated that TGoM is not a single, but a teaser of the album... and it's a double album with more than 2 hours! I don't believe the band will premiere only 4 min of it...

If the lyrics on other songs rely heavily on plot points though, they may leave TGoM as the only taste of the album before release. If they don't care though, we may get multiple new songs (maybe one from each act).

Offline Bertie_Wooster

« Reply #4727 on: January 04, 2016, 12:01:38 PM »
I wish Ammon Bundy would take this message board hostage until we get new DT music.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4728 on: January 04, 2016, 12:10:23 PM »
I genuinely can't hear any difference in sound between TGOM and anything on DT12, so why is the mix of DT12 criticised so much and yet TGOM has near-universal praise? Is it because everyone's an audiophile, so little differences are noticed more?

I hear the difference in how dynamic the new song is but I think I might not have noticed had audiophiles opinions hanging over my head.
I think if you go to a proctologist and they give you the form to fill before you see the doctor; one of the questions on it would be "Have you been an audiophile in the last 10 years?".
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #4729 on: January 04, 2016, 12:11:45 PM »
I genuinely can't hear any difference in sound between TGOM and anything on DT12, so why is the mix of DT12 criticised so much and yet TGOM has near-universal praise? Is it because everyone's an audiophile, so little differences are noticed more?

I hear the difference in how dynamic the new song is but I think I might not have noticed had audiophiles opinions hanging over my head.
I think if you go to a proctologist and they give you the form to fill before you see the doctor; one of the questions on it would be "Have you been an audiophile in the last 10 years?".

:rollin :rollin :rollin

"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline liran95

« Reply #4730 on: January 04, 2016, 12:22:46 PM »
I haven't measured, but as I've stated elsewhere, the focus is on the story and the vocals first and foremost, so the ratio is probably the highest of any DT album to date. The ratio of acoustic instruments is probably also the highest of any DT album to date.

You gave me two boners with one post. Can't waiiiit!!!

(Actually, I CAN wait, I've already resolved myself to not hear anything, not even The Gift of Music before I'll buy it, but I want to hear iiiiiiit!!!!!)

I'm in the same boat. ;)
Did it with DT12 too, but this time it's hard as fuck.
Can't wait for February (yeah, I know the release date is January 29th, but I'll probably get the delivery in February, sadly).

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #4731 on: January 04, 2016, 12:38:33 PM »
I kinda wish I could get new DT albums completely spoiler-free.  Unfortunately, I am not in a position where I can do that.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #4732 on: January 04, 2016, 12:40:29 PM »
I kinda wish I could get new DT albums completely spoiler-free.  Unfortunately, I am not in a position where I can do that.

'cause you have to review it or, since you are offered to hear it beforehand, you simply just can't say "Nah, whatever, let someone else hear it, I'll buy it like everybody else"?
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #4733 on: January 04, 2016, 12:42:39 PM »
Because I have to be aware of details in order to prevent leaks from being posted here.  I can't really do that if I don't know whether information or content is legit or fake.  So there is a certain amount of information I have to have in order to do my job here.  And even if I tried to completely stay away from official information and content, I have to monitor threads here, so I would still see things posted.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #4734 on: January 04, 2016, 12:46:10 PM »
Didn't think about it, even though I could have realized it myself... well, great power, great responsability, great spoliers  :biggrin:
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #4735 on: January 04, 2016, 12:48:09 PM »
Indeed.  :biggrin:

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #4736 on: January 04, 2016, 12:59:02 PM »
You have two boners?
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #4737 on: January 04, 2016, 12:59:46 PM »
You can't?

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #4738 on: January 04, 2016, 01:00:48 PM »
You can't?
Never had any complaints from one. 

Never really saw the need for two.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #4739 on: January 04, 2016, 01:02:10 PM »
You have two boners?

Got a boner for learning that James sings all over the thing. Then I got another boner learning of acoustic instruments.  :hat

Offline Pax

• an operator acting over a Hilbert space
  • pianist and music theorist
« Reply #4740 on: January 04, 2016, 01:04:00 PM »
Great if this week is a good one, I'll have something to look forward to while studying maths, physics and chemistry every day (exams coming :/)

when you say it's a mixture between FII, SFAM, SDOIT and Octavarium, I kinda wish it's a mixture between Lines in the Sand, Beyond This Life, Blind Faith, The Glass Prison, SDOIT (song) and Octavarium (song) xD
!̸̶͚͖͖̩̻̩̗͍̮̙̈͊͛̈͒̍̐ͣͩ̋ͨ̓̊̌̈̊́̚͝͠ͅ ̷̧̢̛͖̤̟̺̫̗͚̗͖ͪ̏̔̔̒́ͥ̓ͫ̀ͤ̇ͥ͝ ̡̊͛̇F.F.Chopin!̸̶͚͖͖̩̻̩̗͍̮̙̈͊͛̈͒̍̐ͣͩ̋ͨ̓̊̌̈̊́̚͝͠ͅ ̷̧̢̛͖̤̟̺̫̗͚̗͖ͪ̏̔̔̒́ͥ̓ͫ̀ͤ̇ͥ͝ ̡̊͛̇

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #4741 on: January 04, 2016, 01:11:13 PM »
You have two boners?

One of his own but he has another in his pooper.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2016, 01:48:52 PM by Prog Snob »

Offline hadi-persian

« Reply #4742 on: January 04, 2016, 01:33:35 PM »
the left red eye on the nomacs show  us the ACT 1 tracklist for listening streaming & right red eye on the nomacs show ACT 2 track list for listening streaming on 29th january! what you think? :tup

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4743 on: January 04, 2016, 01:37:53 PM »
TIME will tell.

Offline mikemangioy

• do feel free to spool through.
« Reply #4744 on: January 04, 2016, 01:40:44 PM »
the left red eye on the nomacs show  us the ACT 1 tracklist for listening streaming & right red eye on the nomacs show ACT 2 track list for listening streaming on 29th january! what you think? :tup

I'm buying this
Because Mike is better than Mike

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #4745 on: January 04, 2016, 01:45:04 PM »

Streaming the full album on the release day, that's a fantastic idea!
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4746 on: January 04, 2016, 01:51:47 PM »

Streaming the full album on the release day, that's a fantastic idea!

Well there's no music shops left to go buy it anymore . You have to wait for it to arrive in the post. ::)

Offline jsbru

« Reply #4747 on: January 04, 2016, 02:45:49 PM »
All these hints really make me think I'm going to love this album.  Some of my favorite DT songs are on the longer side (Trial of Tears, Scarred, Learning to Live, Vacant/Stream of Consciousness, etc.), but lately their long songs seem to drag on for no reason other than to be long.  Instead of dynamically developing a musical concept and adding depth, direction, mood, etc., they can get caught up in too much jamming that doesn't really have a place in the song and/or isn't really catchy.

I think the shorter tracks and focus on voice, mood, and narrative (as well as Campbell's presence) will help keep this album grounded, and more focused on melodies and symphonics.  And the focus on acoustic instruments will create a diverse array of sounds.  The one thing I still worry about is that when DT goes "soft," sometimes their ballads can sound sappy and a bit color-by-numbers.  As much as I like This is the Life, Along for the Ride, I Walk Beside You, Hollow Years, Take Away my Pain and a few others, they can border on this category.  I think back to the early days, and the more ballad-ish songs like Wait for Sleep, Surrounded, The Silent Man, Lifting Shadows, and Space Dye-Vest, the band managed to be soft but yet not cliché at the same time.
“The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.”

― Hunter S. Thompson

« Reply #4748 on: January 05, 2016, 04:49:50 AM »

The one thing I still worry about is that when DT goes "soft," sometimes their ballads can sound sappy and a bit color-by-numbers.

This.
If the album turns out to be two hours of TITL meets AFTR, I'll be disappointed.
(Nonetheless preordered and got a ticket, I have Faythe that this is going to be good.)

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #4749 on: January 05, 2016, 04:55:40 AM »

The one thing I still worry about is that when DT goes "soft," sometimes their ballads can sound sappy and a bit color-by-numbers.

This.
If the album turns out to be two hours of TITL meets AFTR, I'll be disappointed.
(Nonetheless preordered and got a ticket, I have Faythe that this is going to be good.)

I wouldn't worry about that. :)
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #4750 on: January 05, 2016, 04:57:40 AM »
Most rock operas have long sections that play continuously, with very little, or no silence between tracks. So there will be no difference between this and the "epics". It'll be a hyper-epic!

Offline Thematt202

« Reply #4751 on: January 05, 2016, 05:07:51 AM »
Except, someone's already mentioned that all the tracks are standalone entities (apart from a single exception).
Shaman take my haaaaand!

Offline Darkstarshades

« Reply #4752 on: January 05, 2016, 05:11:34 AM »
Oh why am I even hoping for an encore when they haven't said anything about the rest of the world outside USA and Europe.

Jatruccyundessgini

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #4753 on: January 05, 2016, 05:30:03 AM »
Except, someone's already mentioned that all the tracks are standalone entities (apart from a single exception).

It shouldn't matter anyway. JR said the universal flow would change with this album. He obviously meant lots of shorter songs instead of the long-form compositions.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #4754 on: January 05, 2016, 05:33:45 AM »
It's all good. Songs don't need to be long or contain long instrumental songs to sound epic. Epicness can come from beautiful melodies / harmonies, interesting chord progressions, and the majesty of the orchestration. ;)
« Last Edit: January 05, 2016, 05:39:21 AM by BlobVanDam »
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #4755 on: January 05, 2016, 05:40:21 AM »
Indeed, the orchestra section in TGOM felt pretty epic to me, and that was like 2-3 minutes into the song and didn't feel rushed at all.
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline lucasembarbosa

• Pale Rider of No Tomorrow
« Reply #4756 on: January 05, 2016, 05:51:47 AM »
Bring The Boys Back Home from PF has what? 1-2 minutes? And it's pretty fu***** epic!!!11

Offline noxon

• Fan Club Professional
« Reply #4757 on: January 05, 2016, 05:54:52 AM »
funny you should mention that track...

Offline lucasembarbosa

• Pale Rider of No Tomorrow
« Reply #4758 on: January 05, 2016, 05:59:09 AM »

TEASE US MOAR NOXON

Edit: ...AND BOSK AND WHOEVER ELSE

Offline Mladen

« Reply #4759 on: January 05, 2016, 06:12:33 AM »
You're driving us crazy. I mean, in the most positive way.  :biggrin: