Author Topic: Dream Theater: The Astonishing (now with moment of betrayal!)  (Read 1197933 times)

Offline RoadTrain_of Thought

• SuspiciousBulgarian
Re: Dream Theater: The Astonishing (now with premier of The Gift of Music!)
« Reply #3185 on: December 09, 2015, 11:08:22 AM »
I'm waiting for all the nugget finders to analyze the hell out of the album, and give us crazy theories about how it's related to Metropolis or Octavarium. We've already seen a bit of it  :lol

I'm waiting to see if there will be any similarities with ITPoE. I have been listening to it a lot lately and can't help but think there must be something common (there probably isn't), I mean there is a "chosen one" and rebels in there.
"Like the wings of a dove, folding around me. I fall into this tender care."

Offline r3d86

• GO BRONCOS!!
« Reply #3186 on: December 09, 2015, 11:17:43 AM »
I'm waiting for all the nugget finders to analyze the hell out of the album, and give us crazy theories about how it's related to Metropolis or Octavarium. We've already seen a bit of it  :lol

I'm waiting to see if there will be any similarities with ITPoE. I have been listening to it a lot lately and can't help but think there must be something common (there probably isn't), I mean there is a "chosen one" and rebels in there.

In The Presence Of Enemies Pt.3: The Astonishing  :metal

Offline mike099

• do or do not; there is no try
« Reply #3187 on: December 09, 2015, 11:24:11 AM »
I'm waiting for the 34 new 'Opinions on __________' threads when the album gets released  :lol :lol :lol
Oh hell no

And don't forget another 34 appreciation threads. :lol

My head hurts thinking about the volume of posts
Quote from: Flying BIZKIT

Yeah, I hate when I visit the local circus and all they fucking play is Haken.

Offline me7

• Disciple of the Cockroach
« Reply #3188 on: December 09, 2015, 11:25:40 AM »

Metropolis Episode 1: In The Presence Of Enemies Pt.3: The Astonishing

The beginning of a prequel trilogy to Metropolis.

Offline RMGadelha

• Language nerd
  • Блин...
« Reply #3189 on: December 09, 2015, 11:27:41 AM »

"Slay
Spill the blood of the rebels
They are the children of hell"

Nafaryus, you evil son of a...  :rollin

Offline RMGadelha

• Language nerd
  • Блин...
« Reply #3190 on: December 09, 2015, 11:29:13 AM »

Does that mean Jar Jar will still be revealed and that we will have a hidden extra villain subplot? D:

Offline nattmorker

« Reply #3191 on: December 09, 2015, 12:01:05 PM »
I'm waiting for the 34 new 'Opinions on __________' threads when the album gets released  :lol :lol :lol
Oh hell no

And don't forget another 34 appreciation threads. :lol

My head hurts thinking about the volume of posts

The future "Rank The Astonishing" thread will be a pain to write!

Offline r3d86

• GO BRONCOS!!
« Reply #3192 on: December 09, 2015, 12:09:12 PM »

Does that mean Jar Jar will still be revealed and that we will have a hidden extra villain subplot? D:

Or maybe C-3PO is the last Lord Sith (?)

Offline CoT67

« Reply #3193 on: December 09, 2015, 12:09:40 PM »
I'm hoping for a twist ending or some kind of profound, shocking thing to happen with "Astonishing." You can't have a title track like that closing the album and not have something really cool and unexpected.

At the very least, I'm really hoping for a non-cliche ending. It would be a little disappointing to me if the album ended with " the empire was overthrown, the nomacs were shut down, the rebels control the land, everyone lived happily ever after." Maybe I'm in the minority there, but I don't know a good concept album that had a perfectly happy, wrapped up ending.

I mean the friggen album is called "The Astonishing." I'M JUST SO INTRIGUED and maybe that's why I'm hoping for something unexpected.

It also seems like DT is going to transcend the actual music and instrumentals in this album by really applying the concept to the way they write and create the music. And I don't just mean spoken tracks (god forbid), and "oh this parts heavy cuz he's evil," or "oh this parts soft because she's a good guy." I'm keeping my doubts but I'm just hoping they create something new and experiment with the way they portray the concept here.

It was all just a dream. And then at the end Gabriel opens his eyes and HE IS NAFARYUS.

You heard it here first.

Does that mean that Booker DeWitt and Father Comstock are the same person? WAIT, SONGBIRD STOPS TO LISTEN? BIOSHOCK CONFIRMED? (Fans will get that... maybe).

Exactly what I thought after reading the last line of the lyrics... Petrucci is/must be a gaming nerd after all  :biggrin:

EDIT: considering there is also a place called Borderland in the map, gaming references are popping up everywhere in this album... if it goes on like this I'll expect the whole setting to have been inspired by the conflict Empire - Stormcloak of Skyrim  :lol
« Last Edit: December 09, 2015, 12:16:46 PM by CoT67 »
People in Tuscany are never going to lure you into their wine cellars and drown you in wine barrels, you know.
Or that’s what they’ll make you think.

Offline r3d86

• GO BRONCOS!!
« Reply #3194 on: December 09, 2015, 12:11:21 PM »
I would expect the Emperor and the Commander to speak to us soon.

:( :( :( :(

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #3195 on: December 09, 2015, 12:46:01 PM »
Exactly what I thought after reading the last line of the lyrics... Petrucci is/must be a gaming nerd after all  :biggrin:
not sure if serious

Songbirds are a thing, Bioshock didn't invent them.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline RMGadelha

• Language nerd
  • Блин...
« Reply #3196 on: December 09, 2015, 12:47:34 PM »
not sure if serious

Well, I think the way I used caps lock and the wording in my sentence makes it clear that I was joking  :lol
Maybe I should have used sarcastic green? :0
« Last Edit: December 09, 2015, 12:55:05 PM by RMGadelha »

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #3197 on: December 09, 2015, 12:58:15 PM »
Oh hell no

I remember the old dt.net message boards had sub-forums for the most recent releases. It could clear up a lot of clutter with how many different topics there are going to be once this beast is released.

Offline EraVulgaris

« Reply #3198 on: December 09, 2015, 01:00:20 PM »

In The Presence Of Enemies Pt. 3: The Astonishing Pt. 1: First Blood III

Offline Nomaniac

• Long Live Dream Theater!!!
  • Dream Theater Fanatic
« Reply #3199 on: December 09, 2015, 01:14:34 PM »
Oh hell no

Oh hell yes!!! :biggrin: :lol :lol

"Through Nature's Inflexible Grace, I'm Learning To Live"

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #3200 on: December 09, 2015, 01:21:44 PM »
........and it does happen every album release. :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline CoT67

« Reply #3201 on: December 09, 2015, 01:42:29 PM »
not sure if serious

Half serious actually, but given the marketing and the concept of the upcoming album it almost felt like a videogame reference to me... a VERY unlikely one, though it was funny (and weird) that Bioshock's Songbird came to my mind before the actual one.

In any case, Petrucci has cited inspirations coming mainly from movies (Game of Thrones, Star Wars and Hunger Games standing out I think), so I guess we'll have to expect some references to popular entertainment media anyway.
People in Tuscany are never going to lure you into their wine cellars and drown you in wine barrels, you know.
Or that’s what they’ll make you think.

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #3202 on: December 09, 2015, 02:15:43 PM »
So I read most of the posts in this thread, but I am still a little confused. Is The Northern Empire the "good" side? Or is Ravenskill? Wich one is the leading side right now?
Maybe I understood something totally wrong. And if there are any informations or speculations on wich side is the good, bad or leading one: on what are they based? :D
any rock can be made to roll

Offline rab7

« Reply #3203 on: December 09, 2015, 02:25:41 PM »
So I read most of the posts in this thread, but I am still a little confused. Is The Northern Empire the "good" side? Or is Ravenskill? Wich one is the leading side right now?
Maybe I understood something totally wrong. And if there are any informations or speculations on wich side is the good, bad or leading one: on what are they based? :D

If we believe the point of view presented in "The Gift of Music", then the Empire is the bad side and Ravenskill is the good side.

Offline dvargas

« Reply #3204 on: December 09, 2015, 03:18:08 PM »
Oh hell no

Oh hell yes!!! :biggrin: :lol :lol

Plus the favorite song , favorite moment, favorite JP solo, fav JR solo, fav lyrics threads, etc. 

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #3205 on: December 09, 2015, 03:22:53 PM »

If we believe the point of view presented in "The Gift of Music", then the Empire is the bad side and Ravenskill is the good side.
But that is only one character's point of view. I, for one, find Arhys's preaching to be highly suspicious.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline rab7

« Reply #3206 on: December 09, 2015, 03:27:51 PM »

But that is only one character's point of view. I, for one, find Arhys's preaching to be highly suspicious.

Which is why I had the "If".

Someone brought up a good point earlier that giving us the option of choosing a side meant that neither side was absolutely good or bad. I think that's a likely outcome

Offline Peter Mc

« Reply #3207 on: December 09, 2015, 03:47:15 PM »
I'm guessing the Empire are the baddies based on the fact that their leader is called Nefarious (or however you spell it!) They also have noise machines and stop people from making music. Rebels play music, like our heroes Dream Theater, and appear to be from Long Island, also like our heroes so am guessing they are the goodies.

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #3208 on: December 09, 2015, 04:34:10 PM »
Funny, I always thought of Ravenskill being the "bad ones" (such an odd thing to say).. Because Emperor Sean Connery looks like a very nice older gentleman and Arhys looks like a total dick who is trying to make everyone his underdog.

("underdog" omg, As I Am Pt. II CONFIRMED)
any rock can be made to roll

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3209 on: December 09, 2015, 04:38:46 PM »
I'm guessing the Empire are the baddies based on the fact that their leader is called Nefarious (or however you spell it!) They also have noise machines and stop people from making music. Rebels play music, like our heroes Dream Theater, and appear to be from Long Island, also like our heroes so am guessing they are the goodies.

I am guessing it isn't quite that simple.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #3210 on: December 09, 2015, 04:55:23 PM »
Funny, I always thought of Ravenskill being the "bad ones" (such an odd thing to say).. Because Emperor Sean Connery looks like a very nice older gentleman and Arhys looks like a total dick who is trying to make everyone his underdog.

In this day and age it seems strange to me that we will be cheering on the terrorists. Ah, but they will be freedom fighters.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #3211 on: December 09, 2015, 05:12:04 PM »

In this day and age it seems strange to me that we will be cheering on the terrorists. Ah, but they will be freedom fighters.

If crime fighters fight crime, and firefighters fight fire, what do freedom fighters fight?

Offline RMGadelha

• Language nerd
  • Блин...
« Reply #3212 on: December 09, 2015, 05:33:44 PM »
Eh, I have no trouble cheering for the supposedly "bad" guys when it's fiction. I find it badass. That's why I prefer the GNE and I prefer the Galactic Empire instead of the Rebel Alliance in Star Wars.

Offline sdfdsv

« Reply #3213 on: December 09, 2015, 06:25:13 PM »
So, should we expect anything exciting for this week? paging bosk

Offline porcacultor

« Reply #3214 on: December 09, 2015, 06:34:55 PM »
I think Lord Nafaryus is definitely a reworded cover of duran duran's Notorious.

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #3215 on: December 09, 2015, 09:28:51 PM »

I am guessing it isn't quite that simple.

My prediction (or more of a wish) is that music/ravenskill = melodic prog ala I&W DT, noise/Empire = metal ala ToT DT, and Astonishing is the closing epic that astonishes us with the marriage between the two with the signature DT prog metal.

Offline Pragmaticcircus

• Classical Composer, Avant prog guitarist , musical artist, music fan, producer and much more....
  • The man wants his coffee ☕
« Reply #3216 on: December 10, 2015, 12:12:01 AM »
I just found a leak of the complete Astonishing character list, oops.....

"The thing that kills me is all these bands that use huge words in their lyrics, 'I'm swimming in a vortex of apathy.' I'm like, 'What?' I don't walk up to a friend and go 'That's a stylin' looking vortex of apathy you've got there pal. I was swimming up a river of deceit myself."
- Devin Townsend
"poop" - Ziltoid
Prog for life, all hail metal, I'm very Avant Garde,  God give me back my razor, and all that shit!

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3217 on: December 10, 2015, 12:27:40 AM »
Homer!
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline YtseJamittaja

• Yub Nub
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3218 on: December 10, 2015, 01:30:49 AM »
Lord Jar Jar  :metal :lol :lol
Do you even whahíbrido pickingant?

M Y  L A S T. F M  P R O F I L E

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #3219 on: December 10, 2015, 02:50:11 AM »
Jar Jar is exactly what I expected char8 to be, the joke of star wars, like habi was the joke of DTF.
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.