Author Topic: Dream Theater: The Astonishing (now with moment of betrayal!)  (Read 1197983 times)

Offline Enalya

Re: Dream Theater: The Astonishing (now with premier of The Gift of Music!)
« Reply #2590 on: December 03, 2015, 01:34:09 PM »
I'm not really impressed to be honest. There are some fine vocal melodies, but overall it all comes off as pretty weak. The best part is definitely the instrumental break with the snarling pig towards the end, I really dig that part. The weakest would definitely be the choir part. The drums sound better than DT12 and ADTOE but the snare is still terrible to my ears.

That's subjective, the choir part is the best for me, being epic and all

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2591 on: December 03, 2015, 01:34:18 PM »
I'll start off by saying I have absolutely no hopes for the album prior to this release, but this song wasn't bad. Pretty good actually.

Offline MarkFitDT

« Reply #2592 on: December 03, 2015, 01:35:38 PM »
I'm not really impressed to be honest. There are some fine vocal melodies, but overall it all comes off as pretty weak. The best part is definitely the instrumental break with the snarling pig towards the end, I really dig that part. The weakest would definitely be the choir part. The drums sound better than DT12 and ADTOE but the snare is still terrible to my ears.

[/quote

Agree with you 100%. The choir adds so much.

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2593 on: December 03, 2015, 01:35:43 PM »
I liked it I must say. Most pressing concern of mine right now, this is very wall-of-sound still.

Yes, that is a real concern. I'm cautiously optimistic that the rest has a little bit more openness.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline YtseJamittaja

• Yub Nub
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2594 on: December 03, 2015, 01:35:57 PM »
So 2h 10mins of new music....

It's still 30mins of other music live... ::)
Do you even whahíbrido pickingant?

M Y  L A S T. F M  P R O F I L E

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2595 on: December 03, 2015, 01:36:25 PM »
Wow, I really enjoyed that!  Great song!
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert
« Reply #2596 on: December 03, 2015, 01:36:31 PM »
I'm really thinking about listening to this song just a handful of times and then not revisiting it until the album comes out.

Offline mikemangioy

• do feel free to spool through.
« Reply #2597 on: December 03, 2015, 01:36:48 PM »
Now that's a good tune. Love the great sound, and the orchestra and the choir and finally a good snare sound.
Great single  :metal
Because Mike is better than Mike

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #2598 on: December 03, 2015, 01:37:07 PM »
I'm surprised to say it, and some people here will be even more surprised, but I enjoyed the song. Gave me some SFAM-vibes, and I think it will fit even better in the context of the album. I know some people are disappointed by the fact that we probably won't have an epic (unless they fool us), but that's actually the main reason I'm excited for this album. Look at the best albums DT has done, SFAM and Awake are my personal favorites, but even I&W which is generally regarded their best, those albums doesn't really have epics. Sure, songs like Voices and Home clock in at over the 10 minute mark, but there's no Octavariums or Illumination Theories. I feel like when DT shifted focus to write longer songs, the albums suffered. The epics were usually good, but it felt like they focused so hard on writing the epics, that the rest suffered, like Octavarium, which for me is a very uneven album, but the title-track is good.

I still have very lukewarm hopes, because I thought DT12 was both underwhelming quality-wise, but also rather uninspired, this however feels like DT shifting focus to writing an album-album (first time I get that feeling since SDOIT really) and I guess in the end it could turn out a really pleasant surprise. It could be great, it could be mediocre or it could be bad, but the fact that it's 34 songs and hearing this first single makes me more positive than I was before.

Offline pcs90

« Reply #2599 on: December 03, 2015, 01:37:27 PM »
Both albums since MM has joined were some of their best of all time in my opinion, and based on this track, this one will also rank very high.
This will almost certainly be the first track on the album with lyrics.
The drum sound is better, though I wish the kick and snare were slightly quieter and cymbals slightly louder...those 2 drums still sound mechanical, but the sound is much more pleasant.
Instrumental section is awesome especially the guitar solo and the section after it w/ snarling pig and distorted organ.
Love the choir as well.
The overall mix sounds much more open than DT12 which is a welcome change. Still not anywhere close to the best mixes they've had, but definitely a big improvement.

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #2600 on: December 03, 2015, 01:37:31 PM »

The release that gives the 2 hour 40 minutes figure says it includes pauses. Whatever that means.
Where would YOU be without prog?!
I'd be standing somewhere with dignity, respect, and bitches.
When Mike and Mob Unite, featuring the hit A Lawsuit in Lies

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #2601 on: December 03, 2015, 01:38:44 PM »

Yeah, that's why I was wondering about an encore... Set 1 will be Act I and set 2 will be Act II, and then 2-3 songs to round up the evening? well, the encore would be the icing on the cake, I wouldn't be disappointed if it will be only the album.

And 2h40 minutes is the length of an Evening With Shows. 3 hours minus 15 minutes of intermission. Which makes 2h45', ok, but we're there.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline FsF

« Reply #2602 on: December 03, 2015, 01:39:08 PM »
And that is an underlying theme; there's kind of a juxtaposition throughout the album of this sort of noise music, this music made by the Noise Machines, this artificial intelligence, and how that compares to the music that Dream Theater is playing as our musical score, which has real piano, real organ, real orchestra, real choir, real instruments.

Liked the song, looking forward to the album and all, but I'm freaking praying that they don't let Jordan go hog wild with goofy keyboard solos.

Offline pcs90

« Reply #2603 on: December 03, 2015, 01:41:59 PM »
Liked the song, looking forward to the album and all, but I'm freaking praying that they don't let Jordan go hog wild with goofy keyboard solos.
It could also be that they will have musical pieces but played electronically to sound mechanical? Like a basic MIDI track? I'm sure there will be some kind of sfx section somewhere but hopefully not too long.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #2604 on: December 03, 2015, 01:42:22 PM »
I am happy.  Great little tune.  Loved the opening.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline theseoafs

• When the lights go down in the city, and the sun shines on the bayyyyy
  • Hello! My name is Elder Price
« Reply #2605 on: December 03, 2015, 01:43:31 PM »
It's very good. Honestly the goofy sci fi concept may be the best thing to happen to Dream Theater in a while.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #2606 on: December 03, 2015, 01:43:34 PM »

Yeah, that's why I was wondering about an encore... Set 1 will be Act I and set 2 will be Act II, and then 2-3 songs to round up the evening? well, the encore would be the icing on the cake, I wouldn't be disappointed if it will be only the album.

And 2h40 minutes is the length of an Evening With Shows. 3 hours minus 15 minutes of intermission. Which makes 2h45', ok, but we're there.
Didn't the various sites say the shows were 2h40 including intermission. Factor a bit of time between some of the songs for breathers, shifting sets around, etc., and there's time for maybe one short song at most as an encore.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #2607 on: December 03, 2015, 01:43:41 PM »
I, personally, really enjoy the song. I get some Symphony X vibes with some of the vocals. The entire song itself sounds like they combined elements from SDOIT, Awake, and from the LTE albums. I feel like MM vastly improved the way the drums sounded versus the other two albums, which I really didn't have much issue with anyway. And I like the mix. MM is more prominent and the keyboards/choir/orchestra are cutting through, which is nice. JP and JLB are positioned where they usually are in the mix. And I can't really hear JM very well. I guess that isn't that shocking.

All in all, listening to this hypes the new album even more for me.

Offline Another_Won

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Attest to the mighty river.Let the truth be heard!
« Reply #2608 on: December 03, 2015, 01:44:51 PM »
Only listened to the song a couple of times but my first impression was good.  Pretty typical DT.  I'm guessing that it was picked as a single because of the middle-of-the-road feel to it - approachable - kinda like that.  IMO the really good stuff will be in the other tracks.

Also, love seeing the NOMACs in action! 

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #2609 on: December 03, 2015, 01:45:22 PM »
Loving this song! I think I might be overplaying it but idc, instrumental section particularly standing out, Jordan especially.
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Gonz

« Reply #2610 on: December 03, 2015, 01:46:46 PM »
OH  MY GOD, DAT CHORUS.

DAT.

OH SHIT.

Just thanks DT.

Offline weezul

« Reply #2611 on: December 03, 2015, 01:47:02 PM »
no one has the  t
                         i
                           m
                              e      to tune vocals properly any more.

anyone? no?

Apart from this, I think DT are on to a winner so far, and I wasn't keen on the idea of a whole fantasy thing
https://www.liamgaughan.com
--Production--Performance--Tuition--

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #2612 on: December 03, 2015, 01:47:13 PM »
Being only four minutes and it feels very accessible, I think they made a good choice releasing this as the "single." And I feel the vocal melodies are very memorable from the first few listens, which is good. I caught myself humming the main vocal melody after the first few listens.

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2613 on: December 03, 2015, 01:47:30 PM »
A fine little tune. Great to hear some choir too.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline RaasMah

« Reply #2614 on: December 03, 2015, 01:48:21 PM »
Do you think JP wrote all the lyrics to this, or maybe some contribution was made by other members?

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #2615 on: December 03, 2015, 01:49:22 PM »
I don't know what was more hilarious, the song or the youtube comments.  One of them compared it to SDOIT.   :rollin   Bitch please...
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #2616 on: December 03, 2015, 01:49:40 PM »
Do you think JP wrote all the lyrics to this, or maybe some contribution was made by other members?

SFAM had lyrics from everyone, I hope this will be the case as well. JP took time to explain to James the characters' personality for the vocals, maybe he also told him and Myung "Hey, this song should talk about this, have a go with the lyrics".
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline r3d86

• GO BRONCOS!!
« Reply #2617 on: December 03, 2015, 01:49:57 PM »
I don't know if this is a bad behavior, but someone can share lyrics? I'm lost in some parts  :eek

Someone? :blush

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #2618 on: December 03, 2015, 01:50:38 PM »
According to the interview, it certainly would appear JP contributed a lot, if not all, to the story and subsequent lyrics.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #2619 on: December 03, 2015, 01:52:21 PM »
Pretty damn awesome. I loved it, really no chorus, has a nice smooth flow. Its gonna be good.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #2620 on: December 03, 2015, 01:53:55 PM »

Agreed. I was pleasantly surprised to hear the choir.

Offline Jinx

• The Unicyclist's #1 fan!
  • Shaaaamaan take my haaaannd!!
« Reply #2621 on: December 03, 2015, 01:54:26 PM »
So did I read from that JP interview that there will be no guest singers OR orchestra in the live shows?  BUT there will be full video show with a kind of transforming set?

Offline RaasMah

« Reply #2622 on: December 03, 2015, 01:55:41 PM »
According to the interview, it certainly would appear JP contributed a lot, if not all, to the story and subsequent lyrics.

Yeah it really sounds like its his work, and to tell the truth it just slightly puts me off. I would love to have diverse lyrics from all the band members.

Offline Art

« Reply #2623 on: December 03, 2015, 01:55:48 PM »
Wow, i really liked this! I totally agree with the SDOIT/SFAM vibes. Very promising.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #2624 on: December 03, 2015, 01:56:58 PM »
So did I read from that JP interview that there will be no guest singers OR orchestra in the live shows?  BUT there will be full video show with a kind of transforming set?

Yes, and the interview reveals a lot of great information, people are probably busy listening to the song, but I'd definitely encourage everyone to read the article as well.

As for the song itself, I really liked it. Great little short 4 minute DT song. The sonics sound pretty good (judging by YouTube). The band sounds great as always. Killer JP solo...