Author Topic: Dream Theater: The Astonishing (now with moment of betrayal!)  (Read 1197883 times)

Offline Setlist Scotty

Re: Dream Theater: The Astonishing
« Reply #1260 on: November 19, 2015, 02:24:12 PM »
No, guys, DT isn't doing a country folk bebop album...
I am now highly disappointed.  :tdwn
What if it was a death metal polka album with acid jazz accents?
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline SuperTaco

• why do I still exist
  • doomed to fail
« Reply #1261 on: November 19, 2015, 02:38:09 PM »

I dunno man I was kinda hoping for a trip funk album with post ska influences.
So fking tired of being an oversensitive naive moronic fkin bitch. I CANT STOP IT. I CANT CHANGE. IM STUCK. This world eats me alive. My purpose is simply to be what others shouldn't be. A shriveled fking beacon of sad energy. I have lost. I am lost.

Offline paulstfu

« Reply #1262 on: November 19, 2015, 02:41:55 PM »
No, guys, DT isn't doing a country folk bebop album...
I am now highly disappointed.  :tdwn

Then DT would be HAKEN  :biggrin:
Standing on the Wetbacks of angels (?)

Offline RMGadelha

• Language nerd
  • Блин...
« Reply #1263 on: November 19, 2015, 02:45:41 PM »
I have to say... I'm disappointed. I would have prefered more track names than that Arhys message. Not that DT promised us anything, but hey. xD

Offline Awake77

« Reply #1264 on: November 19, 2015, 02:53:57 PM »
Since we're probably going to have small instrumental interludes between different songs, I would really like to have some of them performed by one instrument only. Something like JP for parts connected with the GNE, JM for RRM, JR for the Chosen One, MM for NOMACS.
I would be eager to know especially what JM would come up with, in case he had to write a bass-solo interlude.
Then these themes could resurface, combined together, in the actual songs.

Offline jdprsaga

« Reply #1265 on: November 19, 2015, 03:10:57 PM »
Since we're probably going to have small instrumental interludes between different songs, I would really like to have some of them performed by one instrument only. Something like JP for parts connected with the GNE, JM for RRM, JR for the Chosen One, MM for NOMACS.
I would be eager to know especially what JM would come up with, in case he had to write a bass-solo interlude.
Then these themes could resurface, combined together, in the actual songs.

This sound cool..

And I would love to see JM playing some chapman stick and his pedal bass with distortion as background..

Offline noxon

• Fan Club Professional
« Reply #1266 on: November 19, 2015, 03:29:44 PM »
Or, you know, it's actually possible that the album is just shorter songs. 20 songs on 74 minutes (redbook standard) gives us a little over 3.5 minutes per song. I'll assume that the NOMAC symbol tracks are shorter "intermissions", and that some fuse together like through my words - fatal tragedy. Considering it's a rock opera, this makes sense. I don't think there will be much of any instrumentals, excepting the overture and the entr'acte. I think we'll definitively see a lot of reoccuring themes, as is normal in rock operas. Remember, what we know about this album is that it'll basically be nothing like the other DT albums.

Offline Octavarious

• Scenes from a Mesmerism
« Reply #1267 on: November 19, 2015, 03:55:46 PM »
Luv da spekyuleshon tred!
 :tup
Nugget: Arhys is the anagram of Syrah... Do they want us to think that this character loves music because he loves to sing along when he has his few glasses of red wine?
Are then Nomacs sober i.e halal machines? Maybe patrolling the Empire by checking everyone is strictly following  the 12 steps? Nugget!
Yeah I know what you think, just wanted to align with the rest of "I don't know a single thing but I will have my own say anyway so I discovered this..." thread posts. :facepalm:
From Rome, with love.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1268 on: November 19, 2015, 03:58:44 PM »
SPECULATION !!! OUT OF GODD DAMN NOWHEREEEE !!!!

DISC 2 WILL HAVE 40 TRACKS... I KNOW THIS TO BE FALSE !

I HAVE NO SOURCE BUT TRUST ME ON THIS !!!!!!!

ALSO JOHN PETRUCCI WILL PLAY GUITAR

TRUST ME YOU'LL SEE I'M RIGHT.....!!!!!!!1

Offline Enigmachine

« Reply #1269 on: November 19, 2015, 04:01:38 PM »
Wait, no update today? Wha?  :huh:

Or, you know, it's actually possible that the album is just shorter songs. 20 songs on 74 minutes (redbook standard) gives us a little over 3.5 minutes per song. I'll assume that the NOMAC symbol tracks are shorter "intermissions", and that some fuse together like through my words - fatal tragedy. Considering it's a rock opera, this makes sense. I don't think there will be much of any instrumentals, excepting the overture and the entr'acte. I think we'll definitively see a lot of reoccuring themes, as is normal in rock operas. Remember, what we know about this album is that it'll basically be nothing like the other DT albums.

If DT12 could be considered to start a trend of writing more compact songs, I could see how this happen. I wonder if, for storytelling purposes, they will make more songs like Surrounded, StR and FT that change organically throughout the length rather than a strict verse-chorus approach. Also, while the songs could be shorter in general, I still think there could be some relatively long songs about the length of TBP for climactic points in the plot, as well as some short instrumental mood pieces (I could imagine Heaven's Cove or A Savior in the Square fitting this).

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1270 on: November 19, 2015, 04:22:48 PM »

Why do people think there is going to be an update today?  We just got something yesterday.  It is a long time until album release, and trust me when I say that there are a LOT of planned releases of info, in various forms.  But we are not going to get info every day, and there isn't really a strict pattern (for example, every Tuesday and Thursday) for release of info.  But we have gotten a lot for how early it is, and there is definitely more coming.  Keep checking back here and checking your email, Twitter feed, and other sources.

BTW, anyone notice our snazzy new splash page?
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Shadow2222

« Reply #1271 on: November 19, 2015, 04:30:26 PM »

Looks good!  :tup
"A pitch black night unfolds with the morning star as its only light... and thus the saga... begins" - Shenhua (Shenmue series)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1272 on: November 19, 2015, 04:31:28 PM »
Thanks as always to our very own XJDenton.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Shadow2222

« Reply #1273 on: November 19, 2015, 04:39:58 PM »
How far back do the splash pages with a nod to the previous album go? I know there was one for ADToE, but I can't remember if Black Clouds got one, and I wasn't around before that album.
"A pitch black night unfolds with the morning star as its only light... and thus the saga... begins" - Shenhua (Shenmue series)

Offline lucasembarbosa

• Pale Rider of No Tomorrow
« Reply #1274 on: November 19, 2015, 04:41:03 PM »
How far back do the splash pages with a nod to the previous album go? I know there was one for ADToE, but I can't remember if Black Clouds got one, and I wasn't around before that album.

Got curious about this too... Can we see the older splash pages?  ;D

Offline Enigmachine

« Reply #1275 on: November 19, 2015, 04:42:05 PM »

Why do people think there is going to be an update today?  We just got something yesterday.  It is a long time until album release, and trust me when I say that there are a LOT of planned releases of info, in various forms.  But we are not going to get info every day, and there isn't really a strict pattern (for example, every Tuesday and Thursday) for release of info.  But we have gotten a lot for how early it is, and there is definitely more coming.  Keep checking back here and checking your email, Twitter feed, and other sources.

It's just that we've been getting info each Monday and Thursday in a nice predictable pattern that hasn't changed since the 2nd and now it's kind of thrown off, yeah it's only three weeks but idk I guess I just like knowing when we're going to get something. I think the hype is making me impatient.  :lol

I saw the splash page and well, I think it could look better. The NOMAC doesn't fit the picture to my eyes. I like the link to DT12 though, the planet fits in nicely.

Got curious about this too... Can we see the older splash pages?  ;D

Wayback Machine: https://archive.org/web/

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliςujoΰupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #1276 on: November 19, 2015, 04:52:57 PM »
i can confirm that, for this album, the band members all changed up their instruments
mangini is on guitars, ruddess is on drums, labrie is doing keys, petrucci is doing bass, and ofc myung is the vocalist this time

also there are actually 58 tracks total (nuggetz) and each disc is double-sided so you can play both the top and the bottom of the disc, that's how they were able to fit it onto two discs

and hugh syme is doing the production work

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1277 on: November 19, 2015, 04:54:30 PM »

the clincher.  :rollin :rollin :rollin

Offline lucasembarbosa

• Pale Rider of No Tomorrow
« Reply #1278 on: November 19, 2015, 04:56:54 PM »
@Enigmachine: Thanks!  :metal

Offline CDrice

• I do art stuff
« Reply #1279 on: November 19, 2015, 05:05:24 PM »

So the new album will be entirely made of song sections cut and pasted from previous Dream Theater albums?

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1280 on: November 19, 2015, 05:06:08 PM »

So the new album will be entirely made of song sections cut and pasted from previous Dream Theater albums?

Not just Dream Theater albums :neverusethis: Circus Maximus too !

Offline Dave_Manchester

« Reply #1281 on: November 19, 2015, 05:27:14 PM »
Never mind
« Last Edit: November 19, 2015, 06:09:04 PM by Dave_Manchester »

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
« Reply #1282 on: November 19, 2015, 05:40:59 PM »
 :huh:
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline jsbru

« Reply #1283 on: November 19, 2015, 05:50:49 PM »
I keep imagining JP and JR checking this thread and seeing all the anxious people and going like: LOL  :rollin

If they have any heart, they would just release everything right now.  Case and point--the collective mental illness that is this thread.  :D
“The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.”

― Hunter S. Thompson

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #1284 on: November 19, 2015, 05:53:05 PM »
thor=MirrorMask link=topic=44903.msg2040293#msg2040293 date=1447961356]
He showed me a screenshot of a comment that was forwarded to him. What comment? well, a comment about what we all long for, I'll say no more 
[/quote]
I'm curious... is there anything about this album we all want it the same in  this forum?  Even  metropolis  part  3 is not  a consensus.   By the  way,  personally I hope it's not the case.
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline SuperTaco

• why do I still exist
  • doomed to fail
« Reply #1285 on: November 19, 2015, 06:13:24 PM »
There is a good chance we'll get another update to the Astonishing page soon. They've all been happening early or late in the week, and considering the trend so far, it looks like we'll probably get more track names.

I have a really random guess at what one of the last tracks will be. It's a total shot in the dark, but I just thought of it and I think it's actually really creative.

The Astonishing
So fking tired of being an oversensitive naive moronic fkin bitch. I CANT STOP IT. I CANT CHANGE. IM STUCK. This world eats me alive. My purpose is simply to be what others shouldn't be. A shriveled fking beacon of sad energy. I have lost. I am lost.

Offline jsbru

« Reply #1286 on: November 19, 2015, 06:19:22 PM »
So now we know, NOMAC = Noise Machine

Nice catch.

The "s" should still be lowercase, though!

I don't think so. Look, NOMACS is not an acronym, it's an abbreviation ;  with the other letters as capital letters, I don't see why the "s" shouldn't be a capital letter as well.

B.Lee

Even if it's an abbreviation (and not an acronym), the "s" should be lower case.
“The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.”

― Hunter S. Thompson

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1287 on: November 19, 2015, 06:39:50 PM »
Thanks as always to our very own XJDenton.

Oh good. I thought Emperor Nafaryus was spying on us.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #1288 on: November 19, 2015, 07:42:45 PM »
I'm curious... is there anything about this album we all want it the same in  this forum?  Even  metropolis  part  3 is not  a consensus.   By the  way,  personally I hope it's not the case.

I'm strongly against the idea of a Metropolis pt III. And I think revisiting the past would not be a great move for them.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline dparrott

« Reply #1289 on: November 19, 2015, 08:06:19 PM »
How many records would the vinyl version be?  5? 6?

I guess 3. TFK's Stardust We Are is crammed full of music, and the vinyl version of that is 3 discs. ί

Yea, my math was off.  Two full CDs equal 4 vinyls tops.

This is the kind of album that requires picture discs!  Like the NOMACS logo!
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #1290 on: November 19, 2015, 08:59:27 PM »

Not just Dream Theater albums :neverusethis: Circus Maximus too !
The Astonishing Chapter?
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline sfam2112

• "Oops!" Insurance Salesman
« Reply #1291 on: November 19, 2015, 09:17:13 PM »

I was going to say an outside producer but I don't believe there's a consensus there either.
My music:
https://soundcloud.com/tommybrittmusic

"I love to rock. I love to rock hard. I love hard rockin'! I LIKE TO ROCK!! I LOVE TO ROCK!!!!" - Colin Mochrie

Offline serrano

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1292 on: November 19, 2015, 10:19:10 PM »
Probably the only thing we all want is a new album.

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #1293 on: November 19, 2015, 11:56:37 PM »
So now we know, NOMAC = Noise Machine

Nice catch.

The "s" should still be lowercase, though!

I don't think so. Look, NOMACS is not an acronym, it's an abbreviation ;  with the other letters as capital letters, I don't see why the "s" shouldn't be a capital letter as well.

B.Lee

Even if it's an abbreviation (and not an acronym), the "s" should be lower case.

OK, my bad then. The capital "s" didn't bother me at all, that's why.

B.Lee
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline noxon

• Fan Club Professional
« Reply #1294 on: November 20, 2015, 12:16:59 AM »
I honestly don't get the fascination with having metropolis part three. Part two was already hamfisted in trying to tie it to part two. And this concept doesn't seem to connect at all. Other than the classical "good vs evil" story.

And whether they've chose to tag the album as metropolis part three makes absolutely no difference to the story. It's not going to add to my enjoyment, nor is it going to detract.